Author Topic: Moskau in Danmaku?  (Read 10394 times)

Beef Owl

• Why yes, owls do yield beef:
  • It is known as The Strongest White Meat
Moskau in Danmaku?
« on: July 18, 2010, 02:38:07 PM »
Over the years ZUN's taught us how music and danmaku go hand-in-hand, with his awesome soundtracks and also the Prismriver sisters. I decided to take it a little further...  :V

http://bulletforge.org/u/beef-owl/p/louis-hendrik-potgieter/v/1

The boss the above script is Louis Hendrik Potgieter, former lead singer of the band Dschinghis Khan, known on the interwebs for their song "Moskau" (in case you didn't know  :derp: ).

It's a long story why exactly I created this, but I felt it was a hilarious concept, so I hit the books (or wiki rather) and threw this epic battle together in about 2 weeks. It's my first boss, made of my first scripts, so the danmaku's a bit simple, and there are only bullets, no familiars or lasers, but I think it holds well. There's 4 difficulties in the format of an Extra boss.

So, my real reason for posting this is because I'm interested in hearing: A) What people think about this and B) If people would like to see more of this type of joke game. And also I'm excited to be part of the community; I referred to a lot of the work on BulletForge in making this, so thanks all around guys :)
And also, I've no idea why I associated Moskau with rainbows, just go with it :P

tl;dr This boss fight is about rainbows and Moskau  :V Feedback plox? :3
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 05:08:01 PM by Beef Owl »

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Re: Moskau in Danmaku?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 03:44:08 PM »
I'll mainly focus on criticism with this post, as I consider that to be the most helpful response:

- All the noncards and several of the cards are random spam of bullets in all colors, without any real pattern. Please don't do that, period.
- Your boss often moves around very erratically, making it a pain for anybody but ReimuA to beat him.
- Normal mode difficulty was definitely higher than normal mode in touhou.
- You have your files structured in such a way that you have the audio and graphic resources several times, which especially with the bgm makes the download unnecessarily huge. You should try to avoid that in the future.
- You should give the attacks some invulnerability on startup so that you can't bomb in one and have it damage the following.
- Your survival card is 50 seconds of boringness, with only the last part of the card being really entertaining, and not even that if the player died or bombed during it, as all the bullets that built up will vanish.

The only attack I really liked was "Heart Sign: Beating For the Rich and Poor". That one actually had a nice pattern.

In general, it is better to make less attacks that have an overall better quality than to make a very long boss battle where 3/4 attacks are boring filler. Not every script has to be in the extra format, you know.

As an afterthought, this version of the song is superior.  :P
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Beef Owl

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 04:58:30 PM »
All the noncards and several of the cards are random spam of bullets in all colors, without any real pattern. Please don't do that, period.

True, just kinda there for filler purposes. I know it's bad and I'll probably change it soon.

Your boss often moves around very erratically, making it a pain for   anybody but ReimuA to beat him.

When I was testing, using the 4 built-in characters, I found ReimuB to be the easiest actually; the only time I felt his movement was an issue was occasionally during the later non spells.

Normal mode difficulty was definitely higher than normal mode in touhou.

Is that bad? I thought that all the difficulties were higher than their touhou equivalents

You have your files structured in such a way that you have the audio and   graphic resources several times, which especially with the bgm makes   the download unnecessarily huge. You should try to avoid that in the   future.

Yeah, I did that so that the difficulty modes weren't all anchored together... kinda stupid in retrospect, though.

You should give the attacks some invulnerability on startup so that   you can't bomb in one and have it damage the following.

Every attack besides non spell 9 has 3 seconds of invulnerability; are you suggesting more?

Your survival card is 50 seconds of boringness, with only the last part   of the card being really entertaining, and not even that if the player   died or bombed during it, as all the bullets that built up will vanish.

Yeah, I had a problem with that, because when I tried to make the attack pick-up faster it became almost impossible nearer to the end of the card. On the higher difficulties you'll see what I mean. Perhaps I should set a kill time of 50ish seconds and increase the rate of fire...

The only attack I really liked was "Heart Sign: Beating For the Rich and   Poor". That one actually had a nice pattern.

Yeah, that one's my favorite; its the only one that doesn't count on randomness in the bullet spawning (other than the direction Louis moves) so it's a little more impressive than the others

Quote from: Iryan link=topic=6634.msg384515#msg384515   date=1279467848
In general, it is better to make less attacks that have an overall   better quality than to make a very long boss battle where 3/4 attacks   are boring filler. Not every script has to be in the extra format, you   know.

Yeah, yeah XD Really, the only reason I made it as long as I did was because I wanted to have as many named attacks as I did "danmaku-able" song lyrics to make jokes off of :3 Seriously, nothing more than that :V When I get to my next boss (which will actually be a somewhat serious script) I won't force it to be any longer than it needs to be; honestly I kinda felt this fight would be better with only 5 or 6 of the cards I made; I might make a shorted version soon.

I'll probably change the non spells into unique and patterned forms, and probably stationary for that matter as well, but I'm not gonna redesign all my crappy spellcards. This was more of a theatrical joke rather than a real level, and now that I have a little better grasp on Danmakufu from this project I'll take your advice to heart when working on my next script.
Thanks for the criticism :P

...and also, true, but the band members aren't nearly as awesome :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 05:15:12 PM by Beef Owl »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:28:52 PM »
Sounds interesting... I'm gonna try this when I get home later.

* Mewkyuu's status: impatient

O...K.....? That was sorta... weird...
I'm gonna aim for a Luna 1cc this time!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:23:04 AM by 天⑨ »

Beef Owl

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 04:57:20 AM »
O...K.....? That was sorta... weird...
I'm gonna aim for a Luna 1cc this time!

Is weird good? I've seen plenty of weird on BulletForge that beats this :P

And good luck, best I've done on Lunatic is about 6 or 7 deaths and way too many bombs XD

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
  • Local Unbalanced Danmakufu Idiot Scripter
    • My useless youtube account... (will be useful in the future *I promise*)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 11:36:45 AM »
HARMONY UNZAN, IJIYATSU FINAL BOSS AND REIMU MAKES A SAMMICH TOTALLY BEATS THIS THING AT WEIRDNESS even though I can't try this out yet until the weekend

Feel free to kick my ass now :V
Danmakufu Script Thread :V Latest Script: Intertwining Mechanical Intervention (temp name)

Yooooouuutuuuubeeee Channel Latest Video: Contest #8 Entry

Bananamatic

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »
True, just kinda there for filler purposes. I know it's bad and I'll probably change it soon.
Actually, I liked the nonspells.
Much more fun to play than the average patterned yet easy nonspells.

Clusterfuck scripts should be made more frequently.

Just fix some of the technical problems and it will be even better.

Beef Owl

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 03:31:26 PM »
HARMONY UNZAN, IJIYATSU FINAL BOSS AND REIMU MAKES A SAMMICH TOTALLY BEATS THIS THING AT WEIRDNESS

I agree 100%; someday I shall surpass them in weirdness!!! (I sincerely aim to  :derp: )

Actually, I liked the nonspells.
Much more fun to play than the average patterned yet easy nonspells.

I like 1, 2, and 9 because they're unique, I meant 3-8 are filler because 3, 5, and 7 are 1 with added movement and 4, 6, and 8 are 2 with added movement; 9 is just a flusterduck version of 1; my "recycling" of non-spells is the filler  BV

Though glad you liked it  :]

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 03:38:37 PM »
Clusterfuck scripts should be made more frequently.
No u.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Bananamatic

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 04:22:11 PM »
Lunatic 1cc'd, 3 lives and 1 bomb left.

Really fun script. Fast dodging, nothing else :V

Beef Owl

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »
Lunatic 1cc'd, 3 lives and 1 bomb left.

Really fun script. Fast dodging, nothing else :V

Nice score :) good to know it's possible (I honestly wasn't sure cause I fail so bad XD) and yeah, there's not much variety in the challenge, but basic danmaku can be fun too... (right? :V)

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 06:14:28 AM »
Ahahaha.
Holy hell this was hard.

I stopped trying at around the double tower spell card. What the hell, it collapsed on me.

Beef Owl

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 10:52:41 AM »
I stopped trying at around the double tower spell card. What the hell, it collapsed on me.

What, was the tower spell hard? I personally think its one of the easier ones :P nice replay though, and thanks for uploading it :) I'm the best person I know at shumps and I can barely beat Hard with no continues so its nice to see someone handle Lunatic :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 02:13:05 PM »
Ahahaha.
Holy hell this was hard.

tasers gonna tas

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 02:21:37 PM »

Bananamatic

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 02:31:35 PM »
:P Guess how
I still love how the spellcard said "fuck you, you are cheating" and the towers collapsed on you :V

Beef Owl

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 09:15:55 PM »
Hopefully not too big a bump, but I've addressed your criticisms and v2 is finished :)

http://bulletforge.org/u/beef-owl/p/louis-hendrik-potgieter/v/2

This'll probably be the last version of this script I make unless I overlooked anything major; I feel it's much improved and far more challenging now :V Opinions, suggestions?

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 05:41:38 PM »
Wow this is so awesome  :] I love all the "love sign" spell cards but moskau looks like a evil pedophile searching for little kids especially with his head bobbing .

I like it when he moves away from the screen in the time out spell card
Hey There !

Beef Owl

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 11:29:33 PM »
I like it when he moves away from the screen in the time out spell card

Me too, he has a sort of cool cocky way of moving like "I'm just gonna dance over here for a little bit" that comes off as silly and strangely badass at the same time :V or perhaps that's only me  :derp:

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 03:16:31 AM »
I like it when he moves away from the mike to breathe in

I know right? Nue does too!

Beef Owl

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 09:50:49 AM »
I like it when he moves away from the mike to breathe in

Note to Self: Switch music to an instrumental version of Moskau during this spellcard for added breathing effect  :V