Author Topic: Touhou Grand Theft Auto  (Read 285156 times)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: Touhou Grand Theft Auto
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2011, 06:19:38 AM »
Any update to the effectiveness of the Carmageddon besides what you had given me?

By the way. ALL computers have a FSB regardless of the CPU or Chipset and its age. FSB is referred to as pulse time from a CPU to its memory through the North and south bridge controllers. If you are to say look at the specs of a computer today, you'll find a FSB speed. The standard FSB today for a new[ish] machine is 1300MHtz which would be nice to have on my computers. XDDD

What's crazy?
FSBs were killed by both AMD and Intel. AMD stopped using it starting from the Athlon 64 (2003) and replaced it with HyperTransport, while Intel replaced FSB with QPI and DMI starting from Nehalem (2008-2010) and also got rid of the North Bridge (one of the FSB's necessities). So all current systems do not have a FSB anymore.

As for Carmageddon effectiveness, indeed the new version's super effective! The use of stock inertia values ironically increased drag on some vehicles (notably the cop cars), but on the bright side vehicles are more likely to flip and turn vertically, as well as stop and begin running backwards (a notable problem/catch of the countryside police vehicle, but now city cops will do this here and there). I am beginning to really hate the latter now for ruining many a bike ride (not nearly as much as the speeding cars from behind though).
It's also hilarious to see the effects with spellcards (try the time stopping one and look around - the cars are still running and you can just bump into them and change their paths. Haisen is also great for quick-time snapshots!)

I can give you the newest version if you desire.

EDIT: It's somehow easier to finish the Vigilante mission with this, since suspects are often on the receiving end of the crazy cars. On the flip side, so are you, and bikes are hard to come by when aggressive driving is on.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:13:09 AM by Absurd Fruit Publication »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2011, 08:59:13 PM »
FSBs were killed by both AMD and Intel. AMD stopped using it starting from the Athlon 64 (2003) and replaced it with HyperTransport, while Intel replaced FSB with QPI and DMI starting from Nehalem (2008-2010) and also got rid of the North Bridge (one of the FSB's necessities). So all current systems do not have a FSB anymore.

As for Carmageddon effectiveness, indeed the new version's super effective! The use of stock inertia values ironically increased drag on some vehicles (notably the cop cars), but on the bright side vehicles are more likely to flip and turn vertically, as well as stop and begin running backwards (a notable problem/catch of the countryside police vehicle, but now city cops will do this here and there). I am beginning to really hate the latter now for ruining many a bike ride (not nearly as much as the speeding cars from behind though).
It's also hilarious to see the effects with spellcards (try the time stopping one and look around - the cars are still running and you can just bump into them and change their paths. Haisen is also great for quick-time snapshots!)

I can give you the newest version if you desire.

EDIT: It's somehow easier to finish the Vigilante mission with this, since suspects are often on the receiving end of the crazy cars. On the flip side, so are you, and bikes are hard to come by when aggressive driving is on.

The newest version would be great. Thanks for the offer. And gotta love the haisen for its slow time quick shots.

Though why would I want to do a Vigilante mission with all the ruckus? I would be having too much fun with the madness, then of coarse with such "CALM" pedestrians.

Have you run into any random "game exiting on its own" type situations with all this testing?

BTW, I did some testing with SAMP. Playing a stock game set of files, then replacing gta3.img with any of your choice and adding the CLEO spells, will allow your game to be used online still. I say this because SAMP does not work with the full Touhou mod setup which is a bummer . It may work more than just what I did, but its a start. I can not use CLEO to change my character as attempting to do so causes the game to freeze, but character selection will read the gta3.img file so you can still get to what you want. Though everyone playing, including you, is Touhoufied, I'm sure they can't see the effects without the gta3.img file. CLEO spells work to a certain degree. I have only tried a few, such as Flandre's Laevateinn, Remilia's Gungnir and Hiasen. Laevateinn and Gungnir appear to work and give off there visual effects, as well as even darked the ground from explosions, but it does not effect other objects such as cars or the other players. Haisen loads into screen and I can aim, but clicking to spawn said train freezes the game.

That said, any info on whether we can get a server for SAMP Gensokyo Style yet, or is that still far away from a decision?

With word to FSB, here is proof it is still used in todays computers, because as I said before, it is how fast voltages pulse through the CPU Memory and other motherboard components. its not a technology that rides inside the processor, but rather the whole board. Link to proof: Scroll down the given page till you see 1. Motherboard: http://welloiledpc.com/pcspecs.htm The website is updated to the I7, so it is past the Athlon 64 by a long shot.

BTW, you never answered what was so "CRAZY" from the last couple messages.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:12:39 PM by Flinix »
Still using Windows XP in the year 2050
[img width= height=]http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/5186/shrinemaidensigflandre.jpg[/img]
私は本当にお金を必要とする

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »
The newest version would be great. Thanks for the offer. And gotta love the haisen for its slow time quick shots.

Though why would I want to do a Vigilante mission with all the ruckus? I would be having too much fun with the madness, then of coarse with such "CALM" pedestrians.

Have you run into any random "game exiting on its own" type situations with all this testing?

BTW, I did some testing with SAMP. Playing a stock game set of files, then replacing gta3.img with any of your choice and adding the CLEO spells, will allow your game to be used online still. I say this because SAMP does not work with the full Touhou mod setup which is a bummer . It may work more than just what I did, but its a start. I can not use CLEO to change my character as attempting to do so causes the game to freeze, but character selection will read the gta3.img file so you can still get to what you want. Though everyone playing, including you, is Touhoufied, I'm sure they can't see the effects without the gta3.img file. CLEO spells work to a certain degree. I have only tried a few, such as Flandre's Laevateinn, Remilia's Gungnir and Hiasen. Laevateinn and Gungnir appear to work and give off there visual effects, as well as even darked the ground from explosions, but it does not effect other objects such as cars or the other players. Haisen loads into screen and I can aim, but clicking to spawn said train freezes the game.

That said, any info on whether we can get a server for SAMP Gensokyo Style yet, or is that still far away from a decision?

With word to FSB, here is proof it is still used in todays computers, because as I said before, it is how fast voltages pulse through the CPU Memory and other motherboard components. its not a technology that rides inside the processor, but rather the whole board. Link to proof: Scroll down the given page till you see 1. Motherboard: http://welloiledpc.com/pcspecs.htm The website is updated to the I7, so it is past the Athlon 64 by a long shot.

BTW, you never answered what was so "CRAZY" from the last couple messages.
Attached the file (link removed). Same terms and conditions as last time.

I don't know why anyone would do Vigilante in the middle of Carmageddon, but it was fun to try.

Sometimes the game crashes for me as well with little reason. SALA often gives a crash report but it doesn't quite help.

We'll have to contact other players about a SAMP Gensokyo idea, and create a consistent set for everyone to use (which model set, what other mods to install, any secondary models, etc.)

As for the FSB, that site has not updated its information on the motherboards. Here's proof of the lack of FSB (hate how AMD chip history is harder to follow, urgh):

The crazy bit refers to the size and memory usage of your modded XP install IIRC.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:13:31 PM by Okuu's Nuclear Fusion Photo Lab »
Bad command or file name

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2011, 10:06:23 PM »
Attached the file. Same terms and conditions as last time.

I don't know why anyone would do Vigilante in the middle of Carmageddon, but it was fun to try.

Sometimes the game crashes for me as well with little reason. SALA often gives a crash report but it doesn't quite help.

We'll have to contact other players about a SAMP Gensokyo idea, and create a consistent set for everyone to use (which model set, what other mods to install, any secondary models, etc.)

As for the FSB, that site has not updated its information on the motherboards. Here's proof of the lack of FSB (hate how AMD chip history is harder to follow, urgh):

The crazy bit refers to the size and memory usage of your modded XP install IIRC.

Thank you for the updated version of the madness.

According to your links given, it appears I live in the stone age for technology. Though I am right on the edge. My board does not have HyperTransport, but I have heard of it. It almost appears to be a remapping of circuitry to microprocessors  which lead to different parts of the board. Hehe, my newest machine is still 4 years old, the desktop I'm on now. My newest laptop is a P4 with HT and I'm glad to see the massive transfer rating with my board at least. Anyways, with me being in the stone age of technology, would increasing the FSB really matter if the RAM was clocked at only 533Mhtz? As I am guessing it would show no difference, I guess it may be more useful for my 1993 laptop though XDD...yep that thing still works with Windows 3.1

It saddens me, and I think its my fault, accidentally, but I think I turned this Touhou board into a technology board, I should stop typing this post now XDDD.
[img width= height=]http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/5186/shrinemaidensigflandre.jpg[/img]
私は本当にお金を必要とする

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2011, 10:07:06 PM »
I meant 667Mhtz, not 533, but the point is still the same...and I realized I quoted myself when I went to edit instead and do I can't delete the message since I already submitted once XDDD
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:09:12 PM by Flinix »
私は本当にお金を必要とする

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »
Um...I think you double-posted there. Just saying.

If the FSB is lower than the RAM speed, it may be able to get a boost up to said speed to match and improve performance. But this depends on the board support and also I have only tested this on Intel chips (667 -> 800MHz on a P4 HT desktop, with a lousy soft mod).

You're not exactly in the stone age of technology, just a bit misinformed. For actual stone age users, see 80-90% of computer users who don't know anything about their systems other than which OS it runs.

As for the tech board thing, you need not worry. Several members, including myself, did much worse over at CPMC's talk thread over the past few days. We contemplated on making a tech thread but that didn't fly.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:15:44 PM by Okuu's Nuclear Fusion Photo Lab »
Bad command or file name

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2011, 10:58:47 PM »
Um...I think you double-posted there. Just saying.

If the FSB is lower than the RAM speed, it may be able to get a boost up to said speed to match and improve performance. But this depends on the board support and also I have only tested this on Intel chips (667 -> 800MHz on a P4 HT desktop, with a lousy soft mod).

You're not exactly in the stone age of technology, just a bit misinformed. For actual stone age users, see 80-90% of computer users who don't know anything about their systems other than which OS it runs.

As for the tech board thing, you need not worry. Several members, including myself, did much worse over at CPMC's talk thread over the past few days. We contemplated on making a tech thread but that didn't fly.

Sounds interesting. Though I'm a repairman for motherboards and many other electronics, I don't get very many new boards with these new technologies. Though I'm going to college, most of the computer coarses focus on software which really is a bummer since I am really good at finding problems with hardware, just not software. This is all self-taught, so taking the only A+ Certification coarse they had available, I learned nothing new. I am doing JavaScript for a web class which is just part of the degree, but I hate programming classes to death, even though Web programming is the one type of programming I can understand and make from scratch.

Just a question for my laptop using a P4 2.8Ghtz HT processor. The FSB is 800Mhtz and I put PC6400 RAM which clocks at 800Mhtz as an upgrade to the PC5300 (667Mhtz). The change is nothing, as shown by my little monitor program, Piriform Speccy. I read upon that my board would be able to use PC6400RAM, but would not be able to use the full speed of said RAM. Do you know what would cause this limitation, and if at all possible, be able to remove the limitation to 800Mhtz for my RAM?

TOUHOU, gotta get bad to TOUHOU......

I tested the updated version of the Carmageddon but I don't see much of a difference. I have noticed that the cars seem to slide sideways more often like the cop car did before the update though. We might get better results with a better physics engine. Maybe if there was a way to throw in shock/suspension properties to the weight of the car and its wheels. Then we might find a loss of control in multiple directions more often instead of the always going forward motion. Otherwise, good work Ukuu (your name will eventually change, I know, but for now you are Ukuu)

Wait...the above isn't related to Touhou either is it? hehe, oh well
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:03:18 PM by Flinix »
私は本当にお金を必要とする

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2011, 11:24:28 PM »
Sounds interesting. Though I'm a repairman for motherboards and many other electronics, I don't get very many new boards with these new technologies.
Likely the new boards don't arrive since few consumers actually buy them regularly. Plus, if it breaks they'll just buy another computer instead of getting the old one fixed.

Though I'm going to college, most of the computer coarses focus on software which really is a bummer since I am really good at finding problems with hardware, just not software. This is all self-taught, so taking the only A+ Certification coarse they had available, I learned nothing new. I am doing JavaScript for a web class which is just part of the degree, but I hate programming classes to death, even though Web programming is the one type of programming I can understand and make from scratch.
I find the inner details of hardware difficult at times, but indeed, programming is a bitch. I'm in uni now and will have to get to that next semester. JavaScript and web programming is, however, nothing compared to Z80 assembly (did that, and it's ridiculously difficult).

Just a question for my laptop using a P4 2.8Ghtz HT processor. The FSB is 800Mhtz and I put PC6400 RAM which clocks at 800Mhtz as an upgrade to the PC5300 (667Mhtz). The change is nothing, as shown by my little monitor program, Piriform Speccy. I read upon that my board would be able to use PC6400RAM, but would not be able to use the full speed of said RAM. Do you know what would cause this limitation, and if at all possible, be able to remove the limitation to 800Mhtz for my RAM?
Judging from your description, I guess it's either this or this P4. I think the only workarounds are either the FSB or matching memory, and while I can't help on the former, the latter is easily fixed with two of the same memory chips rated at the same speed (dual-channeling, and different memory speeds will have the memory run at the slower chip's speed).

TOUHOU, gotta get back to TOUHOU......

I tested the updated version of the Carmageddon but I don't see much of a difference. I have noticed that the cars seem to slide sideways more often like the cop car did before the update though. We might get better results with a better physics engine. Maybe if there was a way to throw in shock/suspension properties to the weight of the car and its wheels. Then we might find a loss of control in multiple directions more often instead of the always going forward motion.
(Fixed that for you)
A better physics engine (I would love to put in Bullet) is likely only possible with the original source code (good luck with that). As for the cars swinging sideways, I think I'll try reducing inertia again to 1/10 of the original values for a start. As for suspension properties, well, they are in handling.dat but I have to play more with those (they're not tweaked ATM).

Otherwise, good work Ukuu (your name will eventually change, I know, but for now you are Ukuu)
Wait...the above isn't related to Touhou either is it? hehe, oh well
Just call me by my nickname (EP), it will work out better.
I first mis-read that as "kyuu ~ " though and thought you were trying to tie a Flan reference.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:30:16 PM by Okuu's Nuclear Fusion Photo Lab »
Bad command or file name

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
Likely the new boards don't arrive since few consumers actually buy them regularly. Plus, if it breaks they'll just buy another computer instead of getting the old one fixed.
I find the inner details of hardware difficult at times, but indeed, programming is a bitch. I'm in uni now and will have to get to that next semester. JavaScript and web programming is, however, nothing compared to Z80 assembly (did that, and it's ridiculously difficult).
Judging from your description, I guess it's either this or this P4. I think the only workarounds are either the FSB or matching memory, and while I can't help on the former, the latter is easily fixed with two of the same memory chips rated at the same speed (dual-channeling, and different memory speeds will have the memory run at the slower chip's speed).
(Fixed that for you)
A better physics engine (I would love to put in Bullet) is likely only possible with the original source code (good luck with that). As for the cars swinging sideways, I think I'll try reducing inertia again to 1/10 of the original values for a start. As for suspension properties, well, they are in handling.dat but I have to play more with those (they're not tweaked ATM).
Just call me by my nickname (EP), it will work out better.
I first mis-read that as "kyuu ~ " though and thought you were trying to tie a Flan reference.

And because I just finished a test on JavaScript and wrote 90% of an embedded script for my project, I think I'll be to lazy and not re-quote all those re-quotes XDDD.

With the motherboards, I actually receive a computer or two a week just from friends or past customers when something goes and they don't feel like dealing with it since of its age. Thats when I get the stuff for free, repair  and resell for 50 bucks (depending on the age and specs) or trade for somewhat newer parts, such as a redone desktop that cost me 5 bucks and an hour or so of time and I get 2 GB of DDR2 PC 6400 instead (rather than spending the 50 out of pocket for 2GB DDR2 RAM or a medium gaming card. The biggest population I get with the P4's I sell tend to be people who want to test a setup for a server before buying the thousands on huge server equipment or a person who wants to set up their friend with a system that is harder to destroy (Linux OS of coarse) XDDD.

Never even heard of Z80 assembly. The name sounds disturbing. Uguu~   I don't want to even think about it.

The second link seems to match my processor in my laptop the closest. My lappy has the 1MB cache so that's what I'm going by. Though seeing the 533Mhtz FSB is a little disapointing. Why make a board clocked at 800Mhtz only be able to hit 533 in the processor. Its like what you were saying with the RAM, mixing the two clocks the faster speeds slower to match the lowest clock of the device. And yes, I am quite aware of the Dual channel and mix matching the speeds. Though I wonder with the density of each chip module on a RAM stick has any effect on response time at all? You know, the 2Rx16, 2Rx8, 1Rx16, and 1Rx8 which is printed on the label of most RAM module.

Put in "Bullet"? confused on that one...

OK, EP...and what does EP stand for?

I wasn't attempting to tie a Flandre reference in my last message, however she is my highest liked character of them all. So for now, lets just say I "did" And if you want to, call me not by my site name or site nickname, but you can call me Scarlet Flanders

私は本当にお金を必要とする

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2011, 02:12:08 PM »
Never even heard of Z80 assembly. The name sounds disturbing. Uguu~   I don't want to even think about it.
Z80 assembly is for the Zilog Z80, an 8-bit chip that was used in many devices (ZX Spectrum, Gameboy, Master System/Game Gear, Megadrive/Genesis, some TI calculators). When I was doing this, I was aiming towards the TI-83+ and 84+ calculators.

The second link seems to match my processor in my laptop the closest. My lappy has the 1MB cache so that's what I'm going by. Though seeing the 533Mhtz FSB is a little disapointing. Why make a board clocked at 800Mhtz only be able to hit 533 in the processor. Its like what you were saying with the RAM, mixing the two clocks the faster speeds slower to match the lowest clock of the device. And yes, I am quite aware of the Dual channel and mix matching the speeds. Though I wonder with the density of each chip module on a RAM stick has any effect on response time at all? You know, the 2Rx16, 2Rx8, 1Rx16, and 1Rx8 which is printed on the label of most RAM module.
I haven't noticed much of a difference in terms of RAM density. Most of the difference will come from channeling (dual, triple, quad, etc).

Put in "Bullet"? confused on that one...
Bullet physics engine. It's a free open-source physics API which is cross-platform and not tied to a single implementation (NVIDIA GPUs for PhysX, Intel CPUs for Havok).

OK, EP...and what does EP stand for?
EP is an abbreviation of a character I made way back in 2004. Although the character himself has been changed a lot since then and is no longer very significant, I ended up using it as an internet pseudonym anyway.

I wasn't attempting to tie a Flandre reference in my last message, however she is my highest liked character of them all. So for now, lets just say I "did" And if you want to, call me not by my site name or site nickname, but you can call me Scarlet Flanders
I think I'll still call you Flinix or Peanut Butter.

My current Win7 system seems to have crashed ATM, so I'm stalled from further work for a bit.
Bad command or file name

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2011, 01:07:38 AM »
I haven't noticed much of a difference in terms of RAM density. Most of the difference will come from channeling (dual, triple, quad, etc).

Speaking of RAM, I am selling another one of my desktops for a trade of RAM. Looking to get 4GB in 1GB sticks so I can max out this board to 4GB and get my other computer 2GB of RAM.

Bullet physics engine. It's a free open-source physics API which is cross-platform and not tied to a single implementation (NVIDIA GPUs for PhysX, Intel CPUs for Havok).

I might look into that later, but for now, I shall be testing SAMP and all its spells and other mods to get something online.

EP is an abbreviation of a character I made way back in 2004. Although the character himself has been changed a lot since then and is no longer very significant, I ended up using it as an internet pseudonym anyway.

And how did this character come to be and how far did you go with him?

I think I'll still call you Flinix or Peanut Butter.

Aww darn. Oh well I guess I was asking too much XD

My current Win7 system seems to have crashed ATM, so I'm stalled from further work for a bit.

It is my expertise on this situation. I'm kinda surprised you don't have a Windows XP partition for the sake of a stable OS and more customizations.

私は本当にお金を必要とする

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2011, 01:16:45 AM »
Speaking of RAM, I am selling another one of my desktops for a trade of RAM. Looking to get 4GB in 1GB sticks so I can max out this board to 4GB and get my other computer 2GB of RAM.

I might look into that later, but for now, I shall be testing SAMP and all its spells and other mods to get something online.
Good ideas.

And how did this character come to be and how far did you go with him?
Came from a bunch of class sketches in my notebook. He had several stories, but these were not very good in retrospect.

Aww darn. Oh well I guess I was asking too much XD
Not really.

It is my expertise on this situation. I'm kinda surprised you don't have a Windows XP partition for the sake of a stable OS and more customizations.
Ironically I did have one on my laptop's HDD before I cloned Win7 over to an SSD (space was why XP couldn't be cloned, plus the use of 8GB RAM helps when running VMs), but it kept crashing every time I tried to run GTA: SA, stock or mod, and the latest drivers didn't help.
But for stability and customizations I have Ubuntu NBR on an SD card in said laptop :P
Bad command or file name

Tempest

« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2011, 03:37:54 PM »
Just a note coming back on the subject of SAMP... I strongly advise AGAINST using mods on SAMP unless everybody on the server use said mods. It tends to screw up. And since most of the times, client-side mods are considered cheating and can have you booted off most servers... I have also tried to see what's required to create your own - you need a dedicated server. So... Yeah.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:42:38 PM by Tempest »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2011, 04:14:25 PM »
Just a note coming back on the subject of SAMP... I strongly advise AGAINST using mods on SAMP unless everybody on the server use said mods. It tends to screw up. And since most of the times, client-side mods are considered cheating and can have you booted off most servers... I have also tried to see what's required to create your own - you need a dedicated server. So... Yeah.
Oh just great. Even more setbacks to MP Touhou GTA. None of this came as a surprise, though.
Bad command or file name

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2011, 01:54:25 AM »

There's a reason that it was said earlier that a server was to be made. As EP also added a little while back, there would be of coarse requirements to play for the full effects, such as having the Touhou pack as a start. As I have run some simple testing, The only problem I have come across so far is Haisen (only when the spell is to load the train) and character changing via the Action+ Weapon left or Action + weapon right through the CLEO script.
Though I have not tested all Touhou additions to the stock game, most of the things look good. There would however have to be a way to implement the Touhou effects into the game objects. This may be solved by just having everyone on the same packaging, but who knows, We need a test for two or more players first.

So for setting up at least a basic server to run Touhou SAMP on, what would I need to do? I am good with the hardware, but I will need a bit of software help. And are we going with a Linux server or a Winblows server? I will only do this as a test since I can not break my "high speed internet usage' limit of 250GB. I already pay 42 bucks for the thing and I'm over half the limit so far and the month is not over.

Ironically I did have one on my laptop's HDD before I cloned Win7 over to an SSD (space was why XP couldn't be cloned, plus the use of 8GB RAM helps when running VMs), but it kept crashing every time I tried to run GTA: SA, stock or mod, and the latest drivers didn't help.
But for stability and customizations I have Ubuntu NBR on an SD card in said laptop :P

I love how everyone thinks updating the driver should fix the problem, when it actually rarely does. Judging from your information, it appears to be the file system and whats in it. I can not play SAMP on Windows 7 at all, even with stock GTA SA. Its not the drivers, its just the make of the system.  So Winblows XP is my main OS and always will be, since I also run older hardware.

As for Ubby on an SD card...say goodbye to the SD card's long life. That thing will burn up its number of available read and writes in no time. Of coarse you may get a fair amount of time out of it still, but its not recommended to do that for an extended period of time.
私は本当にお金を必要とする

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2011, 02:02:37 AM »
So for setting up at least a basic server to run Touhou SAMP on, what would I need to do? I am good with the hardware, but I will need a bit of software help. And are we going with a Linux server or a Winblows server? I will only do this as a test since I can not break my "high speed internet usage' limit of 250GB. I already pay 42 bucks for the thing and I'm over half the limit so far and the month is not over.
I'm running off uni internet, and they probably won't like me running a SAMP server.
I'd opt for the Linux server out of stability, but it may not play well with mods and whatnot, so....

I love how everyone thinks updating the driver should fix the problem, when it actually rarely does. Judging from your information, it appears to be the file system and whats in it. I can not play SAMP on Windows 7 at all, even with stock GTA SA. Its not the drivers, its just the make of the system.  So Winblows XP is my main OS and always will be, since I also run older hardware.
It's really a certain cdg.sys that BSoDs the Win7 system (damn you Windows Update). Bootlogging does not help, but the physical memory dump might...and of course if I have to resort to it cloning things back is still an option.
XP seems to have trouble with newer hardware, on the contrary. Until I installed chipset drivers I was forced to run my x201 in SATA Compatibility mode, which killed a bit of the speed. Also it does not play well with SSDs, while 7 automatically adjusts to them (eg. disabling defragmenting, which is a major SSD-killer).

As for Ubby on an SD card...say goodbye to the SD card's long life. That thing will burn up its number of available read and writes in no time. Of coarse you may get a fair amount of time out of it still, but its not recommended to do that for an extended period of time.
It's not meant for long-term use (more of an in-case method). Besides you could say the same about SSDs, which will burn out (moreso with the newer 25nm ones such as the Vertex 3 and Intel 510s) even with garbage collection, TRIM, overprovisioning, etc.
Moreover my x201 has only 1 HDD slot (taken by the SSD and fully utilized with Win7...damn space) and no ODD I can take out, so the next best solution for internal dual drives is an SD card.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:13:07 AM by Okuu's Nuclear Fusion Photo Lab »
Bad command or file name

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2011, 02:59:52 AM »
I'm running off uni internet, and they probably won't like me running a SAMP server.
I'd opt for the Linux server out of stability, but it may not play well with mods and whatnot, so....
It's really a certain cdg.sys that BSoDs the Win7 system (damn you Windows Update). Bootlogging does not help, but the physical memory dump might...and of course if I have to resort to it cloning things back is still an option.
XP seems to have trouble with newer hardware, on the contrary. Until I installed chipset drivers I was forced to run my x201 in SATA Compatibility mode, which killed a bit of the speed. Also it does not play well with SSDs, while 7 automatically adjusts to them (eg. disabling defragmenting, which is a major SSD-killer).
It's not meant for long-term use (more of an in-case method). Besides you could say the same about SSDs, which will burn out (moreso with the newer 25nm ones such as the Vertex 3 and Intel 510s) even with garbage collection, TRIM, overprovisioning, etc.
Moreover my x201 has only 1 HDD slot (taken by the SSD and fully utilized with Win7...damn space) and no ODD I can take out, so the next best solution for internal dual drives is an SD card.

If you're really that stricken for the space, use Tiny 7...which will fit on a CD rather than take a whole DVD and its install size is dinky. Though you can't use printers or Windows Live, or Windows Media player, or play GTA IV because of the Windows Media player core...though IDK why GTA IV requires Windows Media player core to run

Anyways, I threw on two of my computers onto a server at once with the Touhou pack in it and tested the effects. The effects still won't do anything and aren't visible on the other screen even though it has the files. My guess is it requires the server to have the files, which isn't a problem if I follow the directions I just found on how to get a SAMP server up
私は本当にお金を必要とする

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2011, 03:04:33 AM »
If you're really that stricken for the space, use Tiny 7...which will fit on a CD rather than take a whole DVD and its install size is dinky. Though you can't use printers or Windows Live, or Windows Media player, or play GTA IV because of the Windows Media player core...though IDK why GTA IV requires Windows Media player core to run
I'd like to use that, but my current one is an OEM one and Lenovo was not kind enough to pack a OS reinstall DVD. Plus recovery partitions are terrible for keeping all the bloatware.
Alas I do have GTA IV and other GFWL games (SFIV, BlazBlue) which IIRC are tied to the Windows Live and Windows Media Player cores, so it won't be part of my next Windows (game-centric) install.

Anyways, I threw on two of my computers onto a server at once with the Touhou pack in it and tested the effects. The effects still won't do anything and aren't visible on the other screen even though it has the files. My guess is it requires the server to have the files, which isn't a problem if I follow the directions I just found on how to get a SAMP server up
Not surprised if that's the case, given that server-side mods are common in MP (notably Source engine) games.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:16:57 AM by Okuu's Nuclear Fusion Photo Lab »
Bad command or file name

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2011, 03:19:09 AM »
I'd like to use that, but my current one is an OEM one and Lenovo was not kind enough to pack a OS reinstall DVD. Plus recovery partitions are terrible for keeping all the bloatware).
Alas I do have GTA IV and other GFWL games (SFIV, BlazBlue) which IIRC are tied to the Windows Live and Windows Media Player cores, so it won't be part of my next Windows (game-centric) install.
Not surprised if that's the case, given that server-side mods are common in MP (notably Source engine) games.

In process of installing GTA stock onto laptop which will be used for a test. Im too lazy to pull out a desktop with the same specs, so don't mind me XD. Once Purification is complete, I'll go setup the SAMP server files. The way they give them to you almost seems inviting XDDD.

While this large spell is being cast, I shall get some food...at 12 am XD

HAHA, I just realized I'm installing this through USB 1.1....thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis is going to take a bit of time XDD

Also, I am doing a Windows server for this test, though it may appear that Linux would work fine since Linux is heavily used, implying im sure some of these servers with these mods already in them use it and SAMP has a Linux version of the server files

And as I said before, Im going to need help setting up the software part of the server. I am not good at this command line stuff. What I have tried so far doesn't work, so yeah, hopefully we can get in touch with someone who has set up a server for SAMP before. Let me know if you guys know anyone.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:55:59 AM by Flinix »
私は本当にお金を必要とする

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2011, 05:07:49 AM »
I think I may have killed the thread. No one has replied, in what, 2 days now? Sorry if I have...

Anyways, I got a successful server for Touhou SAMP up and playable (but I have it locked for just me right now, requests to get on will need to be posted here in some sort of reply), but if this would to go anywhere, someone would need to know how to do scripts. It looks like this all would work through filter scripts which would be like the .cs files, but different. I hope I'm even saying this correctly. The filter scripts appear to be what acts for server mods, so yeah. I can't script to save my life (I've never even touched this kind of code), but because this is a modding thread, there's got to be someone with the know how and the elbow grease to be able to get this on the road.
私は本当にお金を必要とする

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2011, 05:18:16 AM »
I think I may have killed the thread. No one has replied, in what, 2 days now? Sorry if I have...

Anyways, I got a successful server for Touhou SAMP up and playable (but I have it locked for just me right now, requests to get on will need to be posted here in some sort of reply), but if this would to go anywhere, someone would need to know how to do scripts. It looks like this all would work through filter scripts which would be like the .cs files, but different. I hope I'm even saying this correctly. The filter scripts appear to be what acts for server mods, so yeah. I can't script to save my life (I've never even touched this kind of code), but because this is a modding thread, there's got to be someone with the know how and the elbow grease to be able to get this on the road.
I don't think it constitutes as necrobumping for that duration.

That's good news. As for scripting, I'm assuming it's CLEO going by the file extension.
However, I don't know that scripting language at all, so I'd suggest contacting a GTA-centric forum such as GTA-forums or GTA Modding.

I think I can also get a test server up here, but ATM I am busy with IRL stuff so I'll have to hold out for a few weeks.

Also, this is not as relevant to SAMP, but IMO Touhou M-1 Grand Prix works very well on the in-game radio and may be worth adding.
Bad command or file name

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2011, 05:36:02 AM »

That's good news. As for scripting, I'm assuming it's CLEO going by the file extension.
However, I don't know that scripting language at all, so I'd suggest contacting a GTA-centric forum such as GTA-forums or GTA Modding.

I think I can also get a test server up here, but ATM I am busy with IRL stuff so I'll have to hold out for a few weeks.

Also, this is not as relevant to SAMP, but IMO Touhou M-1 Grand Prix works very well on the in-game radio and may be worth adding.

IMO Touhou M-1 Grand Prix <-----------------I have no idea what that is sadly. all I get out of it is "racing with Touhou"? Anyways, If you have links to so, I will gladly look at them.

The filter script files are .amx and .pwn files. Hope that helps. Even if I can't get the full Touhou thing in here, I would at least like to open all pedestrians as an available choice so all Touhou characters are able to be chosen at will. Also a vehicle and mapping modifier since I would have fun with that. Also in the case of a mapping modifier, I would also do something about the Gensokyo map extension you mentioned earlier.

Its all just thoughts right now since my IRL schedule is fairly busy as well, but If I can do something great for Touhou fans [that play GTA], then it would be neat to have done.

I have no idea what you mean here...
私は本当にお金を必要とする

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2011, 06:20:14 AM »
IMO Touhou M-1 Grand Prix <-----------------I have no idea what that is sadly. all I get out of it is "racing with Touhou"? Anyways, If you have links to so, I will gladly look at them.
Touhou Wiki article

The filter script files are .amx and .pwn files. Hope that helps. Even if I can't get the full Touhou thing in here, I would at least like to open all pedestrians as an available choice so all Touhou characters are able to be chosen at will. Also a vehicle and mapping modifier since I would have fun with that. Also in the case of a mapping modifier, I would also do something about the Gensokyo map extension you mentioned earlier.

Its all just thoughts right now since my IRL schedule is fairly busy as well, but If I can do something great for Touhou fans [that play GTA], then it would be neat to have done.
Ouch, I have not heard of those file extensions, gah! ~

I have no idea what you mean here...
You worried a bit about necro-bumping this thread, or so I thought. Generally 1-2 weeks is a good timeframe - if the last post's older than that then a new thread is preferable, unless you happen to be the OP of said thread (in which the situation varies).
Bad command or file name

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2011, 07:13:50 AM »
Touhou Wiki article
Ouch, I have not heard of those file extensions, gah! ~
You worried a bit about necro-bumping this thread, or so I thought. Generally 1-2 weeks is a good timeframe - if the last post's older than that then a new thread is preferable, unless you happen to be the OP of said thread (in which the situation varies).

With all the SAMP servers out there (over 3k), I'm sure it can be done with the right people, though I am surprised you haven't heard of those extensions XDDD.

I'll have to go into deeper viewing of your Wiki link later. I have some work to do right now...and its already 3:30am
私は本当にお金を必要とする

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2011, 01:08:50 PM »
With all the SAMP servers out there (over 3k), I'm sure it can be done with the right people, though I am surprised you haven't heard of those extensions XDDD.
TBH I haven't played with SAMP at all :ohdear:
Bad command or file name

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2011, 08:29:33 PM »
I notice your on a Mac right now (the past few days anyways). Your Windows 7 crashed you mentioned, but were you running Windows 7 via Bootcamp or a separate machine?

Hehe, Touhou wasn't meant for Mac
私は本当にお金を必要とする

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #146 on: April 15, 2011, 09:16:47 PM »
I notice your on a Mac right now (the past few days anyways). Your Windows 7 crashed you mentioned, but were you running Windows 7 via Bootcamp or a separate machine?

Hehe, Touhou wasn't meant for Mac
Win7 is on a separate machine, a ThinkPad x201. Now I'm on a MacBook Pro 5,5 (2009 base 13" model).

I actually played the TH13 demo on Mac via WINE and indeed, Touhou isn't quite a Mac-oriented program.
Converting Windows code to Unix -> Unix to Mac OS -> Played at 30-40FPS on average -> slow danmaku -> too many derp deaths -> lousy 3cc with Marisa on Normal.
Given that WINE on Linux works well, maybe it's just the shoddy Mac OS implementations. What's next, Crossover? (as for VMs, I know they work well with Mac OS...at least Parallels does, anyways)
Bad command or file name

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #147 on: April 15, 2011, 09:25:16 PM »
Win7 is on a separate machine, a ThinkPad x201. Now I'm on a MacBook Pro 5,5 (2009 base 13" model).

I actually played the TH13 demo on Mac via WINE and indeed, Touhou isn't quite a Mac-oriented program.
Converting Windows code to Unix -> Unix to Mac OS -> Played at 30-40FPS on average -> slow danmaku -> too many derp deaths -> lousy 3cc with Marisa on Normal.
Given that WINE on Linux works well, maybe it's just the shoddy Mac OS implementations. What's next, Crossover? (as for VMs, I know they work well with Mac OS...at least Parallels does, anyways)

Too many "derp" deaths, haha you crack me up. Do you visit any of the chan networks btw?

Also, in my situation, 30-40 frames a second would be fine by me. Hehe, I used to play GTA on a netbook, yep, a netbook, and got probably 15-20 frames a second, but it was all I had at the time  ><.
私は本当にお金を必要とする

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2011, 09:39:14 PM »
No, I don't visit any chan sites.

I was referring to the Touhou 13 demo, which should run at 60FPS on 90% of systems (netbooks and very old systems excluded)...though I prefer playing 75FPS.
As for GTA, 15-20FPS on netbooks is a lot better than I thought (I was expecting a single-digit slideshow).
By comparison, on the ThinkPad (Intel HD Graphics, run away) SA runs at about 25-50FPS on low. Medium and onwards turn on dynamic map shadows, which really kill the framerate in certain parts.

EDIT: I took another look at Tiny7 and almost came to support it, but the painful lack of Korean and Japanese, two languages which I use often, as well as the lack of an x64 version (to use >4GB memory, stupid Windows kernel) have instantly soured the option.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:10:56 PM by Okuu's Nuclear Fusion Photo Lab...?! »
Bad command or file name

Flinix

• Too moe for ZUN
  • それは私、Flinixです
« Reply #149 on: April 15, 2011, 11:50:44 PM »
No, I don't visit any chan sites.

I was referring to the Touhou 13 demo, which should run at 60FPS on 90% of systems (netbooks and very old systems excluded)...though I prefer playing 75FPS.
As for GTA, 15-20FPS on netbooks is a lot better than I thought (I was expecting a single-digit slideshow).
By comparison, on the ThinkPad (Intel HD Graphics, run away) SA runs at about 25-50FPS on low. Medium and onwards turn on dynamic map shadows, which really kill the framerate in certain parts.

EDIT: I took another look at Tiny7 and almost came to support it, but the painful lack of Korean and Japanese, two languages which I use often, as well as the lack of an x64 version (to use >4GB memory, stupid Windows kernel) have instantly soured the option.

Netbooks aren't a bad as people say. I still own my netbook, still works fine. I got one of the first models that came out actually, and for being a first gen, its not too bad. It has 64MB dedicated video memory (and that's all I about know since I never actually looked it up) 1GB DDR2 533Mhtz RAM, 160GB hard drive and a 1.6Ght Atom processor. I tested PWI on it as well, about 20-25 fps at minimal settings, don't even ask about medium and high. My netbook however still supports 1920x1080, maybe even 2560x1600 resolution<---(that was a guess of numbers, you get what I'm talking about) on an external monitor of coarse.

I was in luck for Tiny 7 since I don't have beast machines, or even machines comparable to today. All my machines were 32bit, until last week when I bought a perfectly good 64-bit mobo with its case and PSU for 10 bucks. I added the extra components and put my student copy from IRSC of Windows 7 Professional x64 and it runs nicely, though its not my main until I get 3-4Gb or RAM in it.

I do wish Tiny 7 kept Japanese in there just as you mentioned but because I can't read Japanese anyways, its not hurting me too much just yet

Also, I'm not sure if you knew, or if many even knew, but if you ever install Linux 32-bit to a 64bit machine, there is a 64-bit kernel built into the installer that allows the 32-bit run all 8GB or however many GB you actually have. Pretty neat when I did that on a friends computer.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:53:01 AM by Flinix »
私は本当にお金を必要とする