Author Topic: Correspondence of the Inbe  (Read 2685 times)

Acidus

Correspondence of the Inbe
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
Dear Sister,

I am sorry that I have not written a reply for such a long time, and I hope that health finds you well. We are well here; the days of taisho are long and dry, and even the horses sweat as they toil. The season has proved to be scorching so far, and we have been seeking the shade whenever we can.

My lack of promptness on writing a reply has been due to work - I have been occupied with adminstrative duties. Logistics never fails to be tedious, and the increase in trade along the routes has only meant that my workload has increased. Kamigawa-san seems confident that this place will prosper and grow, despite how isolated it is - or perhaps, because. He is a strange man, but he is unquestionably well suited for this. He possesses good acumen and a silver tongue. I suppose that is why he is the one handling the traders.

Perhaps more interestingly, the villagers have been telling tales of youkai that lurk in the neighbouring forests. A few days ago, over a dinner of salmon and vegetables, Takeda-san confided after too much sake that he had seen one of them. He was out on patrol in the hour of chuu, and spied movement near the village gates. Curious, he went closer, and saw a hairy ape-like creature, holding what looked to be a gourd. The creature then looked up and seemingly at him, and then leapt back into the darkness of the forest. He was too shocked to give chase, but to pursue a youkai in the dead of night is utter lunacy. He noted that even at that distance, he could still smell the reek of alcohol.

I am not one to dismiss such matters easily, but Takeda-san is known for his indulgence in drink, and the heat may have addled his wits. I shall hope that the stories are not true, for they would certainly drive off traffic, and all our efforts would have been for naught.

I apologise for leaving this letter on such a gloomy note, but I must put away my brush now. Please be sure to take care of yourself in this weather.

--Inbe no Daichi