Author Topic: Periodic Artist Challenge - 10-Minute Drawings | 1-Minute Music - Alcohol!  (Read 22230 times)

uuuuuu... 1:00 is so short, and suwa foughten is like a 2:50 long song at 170 bpm. this means HARD CHOICES!
I think I'm done though. I tried a lot of new stuff out, and it came out way better than I expected. Weird restrictions sometimes do that :)
Still didn't get to use as much of the original as I'd like!

This is probably a bit out of left field, but here's my super slow, atmospheric doom metal take on suwa: Sunrise at Moriya Shrine

It definitely fits the "melancholy" bill, huh? Hopefully still seems calm. Normally I can't get myself to work on atmospheric touches at all. And the clean guitar tone hates my picking :(

TakuTaku

• Currently Incognito
  • I'm always losing to win
    • ah.
This is probably a bit out of left field, but here's my super slow, atmospheric doom metal take on suwa: Sunrise at Moriya Shrine

One minute is too short for this track. :c But I like it, especially the intro bit, it's pretty badass and makes me so oddly happy. I'm grinning like an idiot here after listening to it for the nth time.

DevArt | Twitter
freelance artist looking for work

flamezero16

• The Great Southern Trendkill
  • Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube

Sounds good amigo. Only part that sucks about doom metal is the singing, so this nips that right in the bud =p

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
We all know that Kanako is a Soviet.

It took about 9 min...
10 min drawings ahdkljas;djasdhlasd
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:11:40 AM by Autumn »

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Due to busy times, we'll just introduce PSL-tradition here this week: The deadline extension :V

~ Deadline extended by one week to March 18th ~

flamezero16

• Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
Hmmm Looks like ive already arranged the next piece =O Would kinda feel like a cop out if I just shortened it though xD Maybe ill sit this one out then.

Kay, I lied and thats exactly what I did  :V I liked afterthoughts so much I had to get in on the competition~

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
uuuuuu... 1:00 is so short, and suwa foughten is like a 2:50 long song at 170 bpm. this means HARD CHOICES!
I think I'm done though. I tried a lot of new stuff out, and it came out way better than I expected. Weird restrictions sometimes do that :)
Still didn't get to use as much of the original as I'd like!

It definitely fits the "melancholy" bill, huh? Hopefully still seems calm. Normally I can't get myself to work on atmospheric touches at all. And the clean guitar tone hates my picking :(
this is great! I love the combination of a real guitar with computermade music :D

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
~ Deadline extended by one week to March 18th ~
I'm sorry & Thank you so much for the extension...! T_T

I think what's kind of conflicting in the music's time limit is the usually slow tempo of ambient/melancholy/calm themes, so before you get to the nice climax part, it's already clocking a minute. What I'm working on is at 1:20-ish o_o;;...

...Though I'm thinking that it's not just a more-or-less 1-minute limit, but something like a range/idea to compose/remix something short.........eh, I don't know how to explain it accurately yet :ohdear:...
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

TakuTaku

• Currently Incognito
  • I'm always losing to win
    • ah.
Thanks for the extension. I kinda forgot about this :c

DevArt | Twitter
freelance artist looking for work

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
I noticed the extension and listened to some of the submissions, so I decided to try and make something for this challenge.

Dead Princess Sakana

~ Judging in Progress, results coming tomorrow ~

flamezero16

• Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
~ Judging in Progress, results coming tomorrow ~

THE SUSPENSE IS ******* KILLIN ME MAN

Dead Princess Sakana

THE SUSPENSE IS ******* KILLIN ME MAN
My apologies, some stuff came up that needed to be dealt with. Trying to get this done asap now.

ruikomatsu

• Let's fire it up.
  • Would you like some tea?
:V

Aw, ish too bad that I missed this event.
Ah well, I'll go for it next time.
The DotS thread is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaad ; w ;

Pixiv     |     My Other Deviantart     |     Tumblr     |    MyAnimeList

Dead Princess Sakana

Hello artists, my name is Sakana, I suck at proper time-management, and this is: JUDGEMENT!

Okay, after way more delay than I can be excused for, let's do this.

First of all, the DRAWINGS

You guys made me crack my head here. I like both submissions with their idea and their execution, and I can barely decide on a winner. I have to choose one, of course, but it's only a win by a small margin because both are pretty much equally good.

But for the choice... it falls on bennelsey this time.

Autumn's Soviet Kanako is hilarious, and the details like the small city and Suwako's reaction are very nice. Kanako's faking of her godly attributes in bennelsey's pic caught me by surprise even more  though.

Now, the MUSIC

This was a bit easier, though all three entries were very nice to listen to. afterthought's and SMS' entries, though certainly being way calmer than the original, as was the task of the challenge, seem to give off a rather menacing atmosphere in my perception. It sounds like calm, yes, but the calm before a big battle, with dark clouds on the horizon.
That leaves us with one:

Flamezero, your piece takes the prize this week. The guitar as an instrument really fits here, it makes for a calm, relaxed, almost melancholic tune.

Congratulations to the winners, and thank you everyone who entered. Continue with your good work~

Now, for the next challenge's theme:

Suikaaaaaaaa! What are you doing!?

It's spring, and that means flowers, cherry blossom viewings, and of course, warm sake under the full moon. But some drink more than others, and then there are the oni. What will happen when little Suika lets loose and enjoys spring the best way she knows: with lots of drinking.

• Drawings: Show us a scene of either the progress or the aftermath of Suika's drunk escapades. This is a very broad theme, so be creative :3
  • Music: Suika's theme Onigashima in the Fairyland ~ Missing Power is already rather fast paced and lively, your task is to arrange it in a way that would fit either an absolutely drunk, or a hungover Suika

The Deadline is April 10th, so you have about two and a half weeks.

Have fun and good luck~

flamezero16

• Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
    Haha I was hopin that if I kept throwin entry's ya, id win eventually =p

Now, for the next challenge's theme:

Play like im drunk =O No problem~

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
Haha I was hopin that if I kept throwin entry's ya, id win eventually =p
thats a good strategy. i should do that too. in fact, if i dont submit any entry i won't win, right? yeah.
unfortunately i can never make short songs :<

Ah, fair enough. I like my dissonances so menacing is hard to avoid  :V

Hmmm. I'm a fan of Suika and her theme, but its another long one. Not settled on how to make it fit the challenge theme yet. Loud music plus hangovers just sounds headache inducing, so maybe I should focus on drunk Suika :P

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr

i only draw from life

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

[HJD]Red_Herring

• Having a bad case of life, can't help it.

Took me about 11 minutes including few contrast edit. Needs some refining, hey, that was fun while it lasted.

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
I've probably misinterpreted Suika's powers wrong, (which I have I guess) so this entry might be inaccurate.  :ohdear:
 (I mean, she can make herself bigger/smaller, so does that apply to other objects?)

Anyways,
This is Aoshi reminding everyone to use their power responsibly during drunken parties.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Dead Princess Sakana

As a reminder: Three days left for entries  :)

flamezero16

• Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
As a reminder: Three days left for entries  :)

Sooooo, I mean I didnt enter but... Who won  ????

Dead Princess Sakana

My deepest apologies, this contest literally got lost under a pile of other stuff that came up for me, and at some point I plain forgot about it.
Feel free to scold me for that ~_~

Anyway, I'm sorry I can't deliver a judgement at this point, so I will just declare the thread contest closed and ended for now.

Thanks to all the participants, there will definitely be other challenges for you waiting in the future ^^

that said, a challenge for the drawing artists is right around the corner, so look out for that~