Author Topic: Periodic Touhou Tournament Discussion Thread - Round 2!  (Read 20846 times)

Re: Periodic Touhou Tournament Discussion Thread - Round 2!
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2012, 10:43:40 PM »
Someone do a Lunatic entry for MarisaA. I don't want to win with such a crap score  :(

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2012, 11:27:41 PM »
You mean MarisaC right? I would, but I wouldn't want to win in any MoF non-Extra category with anything lower than a billion.

You could probably do it yourself. I scored 1.29b once with ReimuB with a 2-death run, so a 3-death run, maybe a 4-death run, should be enough for 1b.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 11:51:53 PM by Karisa »

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »
Someone do a Lunatic entry for MarisaA. I don't want to win with such a crap score  :(
So you want me to go clear the game with that shot type again without dying twice to Nitori  :V
Planning on it already, along with going for extra.  Maybe.  Suwa War is a kick in the face...

Forget about extra.  I forgot how much I hated MarisaC.  I do want a better lunatic clear with her, so we'll see about that.

First attempt, no resets, 7 derpy deaths (all with bombs in stock), 636 million.  I see 1 billion breaking in the nights to come.
Those deaths were to...Blue bullet streaming in Stage 3, Aya's 2nd nonspell, Aya's last spell by backing into a bullet, Sanae's midboss spell by moving up into a bullet, likewise for her 3rd spell, Kanako's 2nd via overtapping when I should have bombed the wave, and Kanako's 4th because I wasn't thinking clearly.  Captured a nasty PWG though because I wanted the spell bonus.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »
Scoring - Lunatic
I have no name - 885,072,770 - C - Replay
Just so you know, all those nonspell bombs don't help you (unless you're bombing for survival that is, but it doesn't look like it) if they also finish off the pattern, since you gain the same amount of faith as finishing off the pattern normally, at the cost of 1 power... Make sure to stop shooting while the bomb is active, and wait for the boss to fill the screen with bullets again before finishing it off. Also, many of those bombs would have been better used in a stage portion for collecting items at maximum value, or not used at all (remember that bosses drop significantly more point items if you're at 5 power, so it's probably not a good idea to bomb for faith from Aya onward, except for perhaps Aya's and Sanae's final nonspells since they don't drop any point items after that).

Also, your stage portion strategies could be improved a lot, regarding both collecting point items at maximum value (very important, especially in later stages when your faith is higher), and not missing star items (which are also very important if you're below 950,000 or so faith). My strategies aren't the best, but for comparison purposes, the run I submitted reached boss Hina with 50,000 faith and 15m points more than you did, and boss Nitori with 111,000 faith and 38m more.

At least this confirms what I thought, that a 3-death run on Lunatic should be enough to reach 1 billion.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:13:02 PM by Karisa »

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »
My stage strategies are complete crap I know, I'm not used to MarisaC  :V  Stage 5 was a complete derpfest anyways, and I botched Stage 3 in a few places.
Bombing Aya's 2nd nonspell was for survival, it clips me a lot.
Not derping the Stage 5 opening would have given me a much easier runthrough of the stage, and probably a perfect Sanae which is obviously better for scoring.
Bombing Kanako's opener is for survival-the bomb is better than the incredibly likely death.

Noted about the nonspell bombing, I'll just stop bombing them period then, I don't trust myself to remember beyond Shizuha's (which I'll still bomb since it's hardly any difference)

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2012, 11:34:31 PM »
I bomb Aya's 2nd/3rd nonspells and Kanako's first for survival anyway; I wasn't referring to those. I don't think you needed to auto-bomb most of Nitori's and Sanae's nonspells, though. (Nitori's will actually give you a lot of faith if you bomb them correctly, but I skip that on Lunatic since chances are I'll have to bomb her latter two spells and I'd prefer to have as much power as I can for stage 4.)

And I think bombing Shizuha's nonspell prevents you from reaching 5 power by Minoriko.

If you need more MarisaC practice, I recommend trying to learn Extra with her. At least the stage portion. That's how I figured out how to control those options, anyway.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2012, 11:39:48 PM »
If you need more MarisaC practice, I recommend trying to learn Extra with her. At least the stage portion. That's how I figured out how to control those options, anyway.
It's less that I can't control it and more that I don't know where to put it, so learning extra wouldn't exactly help much.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2012, 11:49:16 PM »
You can try copying my stage portion strategies. That's why I've been uploading my bad runs instead of waiting for either a better run or the deadline. Not that my strategies for stage 4 and 5 are much better, but for stages 1-3 and 6 at least.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2012, 08:06:07 AM »
Meh, tpp tired now and no motivation 9bad shot type)., as well as othert things I'd rather do thna use <MairsaX.

Leaving typoes in for hilarity's sake, gj on the billion break Karisa.

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2012, 09:27:02 AM »
That billion break on MarisaC probably translates to 1.5 bil if we convert into Reimu. Congrats  :V

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2012, 10:56:27 AM »
Why? MoF's characters are mostly equal scoring-wise. Even MarisaB doesn't get much of an advantage (since you get more boss point items by being at 5 power and therefore can't glitch-capture everything). MarisaC is actually the highest-scoring judging from the world records, but not by much since it seems to be just higher spell bonuses from placing all 4 frostthrowers on bosses.

1.5 billion Lunatic probably would need a no-death run with my current strategies, regardless of character. Probably most doable for me with ReimuB since I actually have decent consistency at Sanae's star cards with her. Except my current dodging ability won't no-death stage 4 without getting lucky enough to save a few bombs, and regardless I'll have to figure out how to do stage 5 starting at low power.

...and I think I just swept the MoF portion of this contest (unless last-minute submission), while completely ignoring the FinalA scoring that I thought I'd be interested in.

Edit: L1b video if anyone cares.
Hmm, maybe I could go for MoF 1 billion with all characters on Lunatic sometime... not looking forward to ReimuC though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:22:18 AM by Karisa »

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2012, 10:35:05 PM »
It wasn't serious, just a joke about how MarisaC being so unwieldy that getting 1.5 billion on Reimu probably would be easier because she doesn't randomly die to pathetic things.  :V

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2012, 11:29:45 PM »
MarisaC is decent enough. Certainly not what I'm most comfortable with, but she has that rare combination of decent power and stage coverage that's mostly found only on unwieldy but rather interesting shot types, other examples being IN Youmu, TD Youmu, and PCB SakuyaB (coincidentally or not, all of these are the highest-scoring in their respective games). I think she's better than MoF's other Marisa shots (if you exclude the MarisaB glitch), and certainly better than the pathetically weak ReimuC.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2013, 07:41:04 PM »
We're back. Apologies for the considerable delays, and have fun with the Special challenge. :V
Let's fight.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »
Anyone wants to upload their lunatic marisaB stage 5 practice unlocked score file?
Nereid linked this one a few weeks ago.
Here's one with absolutely everything unlocked, with clean spell histories and score data: scoreth12.dat

« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2013, 12:22:52 AM »
Crazy idea for one of these - get as far as you can in STB or DS without dying, ties broken by total score.  I also propose someone masochistic enough should try to 1LC either of the games.  Runs can be verified with score dats (or video).  Shots per scene should match the required shots for that scene
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:27:03 AM by ♥♥♥東方Hugger♥♥♥ »

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2013, 12:28:38 AM »
Crazy idea for one of these - get as far as you can in STB or DS without dying, ties broken by total score.  I also propose someone masochistic enough should try to 1LC either of the games.  Runs can be verified with score dats.  Shots per scene should match the required shots for that scene
I would totally stream attempts at this if it's Double Spoiler.
Though shots per scene wouldn't match the required shots if you miss even one shot.
Also score.dat backups and manipulation and that stuff would make it kiiiind of invalid (I'm mentioning this now so no one can do it without scrutiny)
Honestly you'd kind of need some sort of video proof, not high quality video proof or anything but enough to show not dying/resetting/modifying score.dats/saving&reloading