Author Topic: Lef's player sprites workshop  (Read 4236 times)

Lef's player sprites workshop
« on: May 28, 2016, 05:02:04 PM »
~Lef's player sprites workshop~
Hi! I open a new thread where I put some player sprites. You can use them freely for what ever you want.
All my sprites are animated in 4 frames. 3 frames sprite sheet must be animated like this: frame1 - frame 2 - frame 3 - frame 2 -frame 1 - etc.

Remember, ZUN's based ones actually don't respect ZUN's guidlines (but they can be usefull anyway). You can't use them for a full game (unless if you don't care about these guidelines but I'm not responsive of this in any case).

Full hand made sprites
These are made from nothing, step by step or from editing other sprites of mine.
- Alice -

- Aya -

- Cirno -

- Flandre -

- Reisen -

- Tenshi -

ZUN's work based sprites
These are made based on ZUN's officials sprites by editing, changing colours, mixing different sprites and adding some new parts.
- Shizuha - [don't have animated side movement]

- Maribel -

- Miko -

- Minoriko - [don't have animated side movement]

- Renko -

- Shou -

- Utsuho -

Good player making. See ya!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:09:43 PM by Lefkada »

Re: Lef's player sprites workshop
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 05:34:19 PM »
Lefkada, about your Reisen's ears, I've tried this :

The idead behind was to move the tips of the ears according to the movement of the hair (nice work with the hair !).
The other thing is to reduce the amplitude of the movement. In your original PA, she seems to wear little wings. I think you can reduce it more just by changing the luminosity of the pixels. Maybe you should extend the movement of the tip of the right ear over 2 frames instead of one.

Cause your Reisen is somehow rotated, the left ear should not move, this is why i did the second one.

About Marisa : maybe you should reduce the amplitude of the movement of the ribbon when it goes on the left. It's a bit too much of symetry.
Flandre is very cute :3 And the palette for Reimu is very good. Maybe you could use it for the red part of Flandre's clothe, to add a little more contrast.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:42:15 PM by HuLijin »

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:10:49 PM »
Added ZUN's based Shou player sprite:

Based on Komachi sprite with Reimu's arms and Shou's tiger pattern. The shawl is made with Komachi's scyte blade.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:12:26 PM by Lefkada »

Random Sphere

• It's been 3 years...
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 04:47:49 PM »
I just, how do you edit that well the sprites? I would like to make my own one.
Normal 1CCs : PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC.
Extra Clears: IN, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 06:38:34 PM »
I proceed exactly like this:
1- look well the atrwork of the character you want, remember the colors, the main parts (ex: for Shou it's her shawl, the tiger pattern and her crown), the hair, the clothes, the lenght of the dress... all the small detail that make the character unique.

2- search into the great treasure named Phantasmagoria of Flower View and search the sprite(s) that fit the best with what you want. You can use several sprites if it's needed. Espacially, look for the best dress lenght/shape. It's the most important part and the most visible on the sprite.

3- Open your favorite drawing software like photoshop or anything you know and use well (you need one with layer and alpha. And preferably any kind of grid). Then, on the ZUN's sprite select the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th frame for the iddle and the four last frames for right and left movement (if you want to make 4 frame animation like me. You can use the entire ZUN's sprite but it's longer and harder to edit).

4- Start with the main body (= the sprite you use for your character as the main base). Erase all that you don't need like ears, fancy hair things, any kind of weapon, etc.

5- Then select all what you need on other sprites (arms, hairs, hat, any special parts of the dress...) and add them on the main sprite (on different layers. One layer for all new element. Don't overlaid them on the same layer or you can have problem later.

6- Now, you have the main shape of your sprite. Change the colors with a tool that can change color or play with different blend of colored layers (you can apply the color only on the surface you need to color (that what I made for Shou dress).

7- Add any missing details, make the things that doesn't already exist (like Mary/Renko hat).

8- Test the animation on a gif (personnaly I make one gif for the 3 poses). If it work well, enjoy the sprite. If not, change the things that cause issues (usually it's only things misplaced and you just need to move them of few pixels).

usefull things:
Mystia have good wings usable for all birds (ok there is almost no birds).
Reisen hair's are pure gold for all characters with long hairs.
Tewi and Prismriver have really usefull dress/body that can be used for a lot of characters.
Dont' hesitate to make things not clear. ZUN's sprites are messy and the less you have small detail, the less you can see flaws.
Some characters are really hard to do with this methode, due to too much particularities.

I hope it can help you ^^
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:42:52 PM by Lefkada »

Random Sphere

• It's been 3 years...
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 07:04:46 PM »
I`ll be finally able to make a Suika player sprite. Thanks. :D
Normal 1CCs : PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC.
Extra Clears: IN, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC.

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 07:17:07 PM »
Good luck. I think Suika can be a bit challenging due to the horns and her chains.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 12:20:42 AM »
Hello there! Would it be okay if I used your sprites as a reference for when I made my own sprites? I won't be splicing them together or anything like that; just thought I'd ask.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 06:27:35 PM »
Yes you can use them as you want  :D

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM »
So from what I gather, we can use your sprites made from scratch for full games, but not the ZUN-based ones?

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 12:08:36 PM »
it's almost this yes. Actually I'm not against using ZUN's based sprite for full games but since they don't respects ZUN's guidelines... But if you don't care about the guidelines you can use them anyway. I just warn about this (but maybe it's not clear...).