Author Topic: Characters, music, personalities.  (Read 324318 times)

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
Re: Characters, music, personalities.
« Reply #330 on: December 01, 2009, 11:24:29 AM »
So, a Lazy Gatekeeper, a Lonely Gatekeeper and now a Determined and Adaptive Gatekeeper. Who would win?

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #331 on: December 01, 2009, 11:31:33 AM »
So, a Lazy Gatekeeper, a Lonely Gatekeeper and now a Determined and Adaptive Gatekeeper. Who would win?

Now, and always, the answer will be Master Spark.

Fightest

« Reply #332 on: December 03, 2009, 08:12:55 AM »
I was about to sit down and get to work on Yuka, when I realised I hadn't actually solved the issue I knew was going to come up. So I'll put it up to a quick vote, which should I do now, leaving the other to Alternate Themes:

Sleeping Terror

or

Faint Dream ~ Inanimate Dream?

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #333 on: December 03, 2009, 08:15:48 AM »
Do Sleeping Terror.

« Reply #334 on: December 03, 2009, 09:15:29 AM »
Faint Dream ~ Inanimate Dream <3

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #335 on: December 03, 2009, 10:34:01 AM »
I vote Sleeping Terror.

7TC7

• In best company
« Reply #336 on: December 03, 2009, 12:34:07 PM »
Faint Dream ~ Inanimate Dream I'd like~
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

« Reply #337 on: December 03, 2009, 02:51:49 PM »
Faint Dream for me.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #338 on: December 03, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
Sleeping Terror, as it's my favourite Yuka theme~
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Fightest

« Reply #339 on: December 03, 2009, 06:43:16 PM »
 :-\

Vote is even. Clearly the decision will be done by a no-holds-barred duel to the death between two of you. Alternatively I'll do the one nominated after this post.

Also updated OP with links to the actual themes, thanks Lloyd Dunamis for the hard work.

« Reply #340 on: December 03, 2009, 07:07:53 PM »
Flower of Japan.

Or Inanimate Dream.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 07:10:32 PM by Azinth »

MCXD

• Test
  • Light Sign "Heaven Engine"
« Reply #341 on: December 03, 2009, 10:04:45 PM »
Inanimate Dream all the way, although I think they're both good songs. ID just seems to be the one ZUN intended as her 'proper' theme.

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #342 on: December 03, 2009, 10:34:59 PM »
Ack, forgot to vote ;_;. Me votes for Sleeping Terror, if ever vote count still reaches beyond Azinth's.

@Fightest: You're Welcome! It's the least I can do :3
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

Moerin

« Reply #343 on: December 03, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »
Aw... I always thought Sleeping Terror summed up Yuka a lot better than Inanimate Dream, but them's the breaks I guess...

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

« Reply #344 on: December 03, 2009, 10:46:10 PM »
I just prefer Inanimate Dream to Sleeping Terror as a boss tune. I like them both, but i definately prefer ID

« Reply #345 on: December 03, 2009, 11:02:36 PM »
You guys are welcome to disregard my post if you want.  I realized right after posting that it's kind of unfair, considering I probably don't follow this thread as much as a lot of others here.

Fightest

« Reply #346 on: December 04, 2009, 09:32:28 AM »
You guys are welcome to disregard my post if you want.  I realized right after posting that it's kind of unfair, considering I probably don't follow this thread as much as a lot of others here.

Ah-ah, you're in the thread, so your opinion counts. Inanimate Dream it is.

(Also the person after you wanted Inanimate Dream as well, so point's moot.)

[Edit] I've decided that I'm officially tired of chiptunes, so after Inanimate Dream I'll finish up people's requests from the PC-98 games, i.e. tracks that were specifically asked for, and then move on to Alternate Themes, so those of you voting for Sleeping Terror won't have to wait long, as I'll be doing those in forward order again.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:01:57 AM by Fightest »

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #347 on: December 04, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »
[Edit] I've decided that I'm officially tired of chiptunes, so after Inanimate Dream I'll finish up people's requests from the PC-98 games, i.e. tracks that were specifically asked for, and then move on to Alternate Themes, so those of you voting for Sleeping Terror won't have to wait long, as I'll be doing those in forward order again.

Are we allowed to specifically ask for everything that's left? *shot* Eh, seriously though... I'd really like to hear an analysis of Reincarnation... And you can't forget Complete Darkness or Dimensional Dream under alternate themes either :P I'd also LOVE an analysis of Sariel and Konngara's themes from HRtP... And Rika and Meira from SoEW... Okay, maybe not, if you really don't wanna do too many more chiptunes, I guess you could skip those two. I just happen to think that ZUN was actually pretty freaking good at using chiptunes. I personally think that a lot of PC-98 tracks are better than a lot of Windows tracks.

Also, could you at least finish up LLS by doing the themes for the Extra bosses? Not that I much care, just the OCD in me that seems to be applying even to what other people are doing that doesn't wanna leave a game in progress unfinished :V *shot*

Fightest

« Reply #348 on: December 04, 2009, 08:02:27 PM »
Are we allowed to specifically ask for everything that's left? *shot* Eh, seriously though... I'd really like to hear an analysis of Reincarnation... And you can't forget Complete Darkness or Dimensional Dream under alternate themes either :P I'd also LOVE an analysis of Sariel and Konngara's themes from HRtP... And Rika and Meira from SoEW... Okay, maybe not, if you really don't wanna do too many more chiptunes, I guess you could skip those two. I just happen to think that ZUN was actually pretty freaking good at using chiptunes. I personally think that a lot of PC-98 tracks are better than a lot of Windows tracks.

Also, could you at least finish up LLS by doing the themes for the Extra bosses? Not that I much care, just the OCD in me that seems to be applying even to what other people are doing that doesn't wanna leave a game in progress unfinished :V *shot*

Aw, all right, will do Mima, Sariel and Konngara. Also Mugetsu and Gengetsu. Also I agree, ZUN is really good with chiptunes. Still don't like 'em very much though.  :V

Onto Yuka - I was asked this question previously, but for those of you wondering why I?m doing this analysis when I already have a profile of Yuka: much for the same reason as Alice ? PC-98 is a different continuity, so this Yuka is approximately a different character, no matter how similar she may seem to her Windows incarnation.

Yuka Kazami ? Faint Dream ~ Inanimate Dream

The structure and pacing of this piece make for a relatively difficult analysis, as the different parts flow in and out of each other, never allowing a break, confusing and unbalancing. This, I believe, is the key to understanding this Yuka?s personality ? she is extremely unpredictable, in the worst ways imaginable. It is not possible how she?ll react to a given situation, and, considering the possibilities range from ?doing nothing? to ?out-and-out violence,? Yuka begins to come across as a dangerously unstable Youkai. This, ultimately, is why I believe she?s so feared and shunned. There are also certain similarities to her incarnation in PoFV, and I?ll bring those up as they come along.

The introduction carries a very characteristic growl in its accompaniment, a menacing sound that presents an unambiguous impression that there?s an almost animalistic rage and a great power bubbling just beneath Yuka?s surface. Much like with the other Youkai who have exhibited exceptional power, e.g. Yukari or Yuyuko, that power is tangible, coming off Yuka in waves, sometimes seeming to spark with the higher-pitched ornaments before grounding in the deeper registers. Yuka has clear control over her power, but demonstratably does not control it very much, leaving the listener to tiptoe around her, hoping not to aggravate her too much lest she explode. I believe Yuka adopts such an attitude with others due to a complex of some sort, a need to establish herself as the dominant one in a situation - her aggressive stance dares others to slight her, and simultaneously mocks them for not having the guts to do so. It?s a simplification to call her passive-aggressive, but it?s a start in the right direction of describing her mental state.

Suddenly the aggression disappears and the melodic first part starts up. The sound of the muted trumpet adds a certain heaviness to the melody that is, due to a quick pace and tendency to hop large intervals, rather flighty. Furthermore, the major key and lack of commitment to a coherent harmonic line make this an unexpectedly light-hearted motif, coloured, of course, by Yuka?s heavy presence. This motif quickly flows from the introduction, which makes me think that this is a smooth character transition, not two separate situations simply shown one after the other. Such a character transition is unsettling, as there is no rhyme or reason as to why it occurred; there were no logical chord progressions or other indications of the sudden metamorphosis. It is not possible to say at the moment what Yuka herself thinks of these changes, whether they?re conscious or not, but they are an obvious continuation of the theme of instability.

The pacing changes again when the characteristic third theme comes in, repeat upon repeat of a short motif made intense by the tendency to culminate at high notes after a buildup from a lower pitch. The piece moves back into aggression by the shrill sounds of the main ?instrument? and the persistent minor key, giving the impression that this part is a harsh cry for attention, repeated over and over to inspire a feeling of mania behind it. At this point it seems that Yuka, for no discernible reason, is losing control ? at the culmination of the little motifs we get a scattered burst as if sparks shooting off every which way due to an uncontrolled burst of energy, as if Yuka is just raving, completely oblivious to potential harm to others, just as long as she gets what she wants. This is where certain similarities can be drawn to PoFV, where a major aspect of Yuka was her obsessive narcissism, which is somewhat similar the selfish demand for attention and self-empowerment that is present here.

I probably do not need to explain how what happens next just adds to Yuka?s image of instability ? in a few short moments the piece moves from rant-and-rave to hostile-but-in-control, and then back again. It is as if Yuka enjoys dancing on the brink of madness, and mostly likely is naturally thus ? no sane person can do what she does that convincingly.

This is why I feel Yuka is an exceptionally dangerous Youkai due to the combination of her personality and access to a vast amount of power. She cannot be controlled or predicted, so she is like a bomb with a glitchy trigger mechanism ? you never know what could set her off, and it?s likely to not be the same thing every time. One just has to keep their distance and hope she?s not feeling confrontational.

Moerin

« Reply #349 on: December 04, 2009, 08:09:01 PM »
You have to do Strawberry Crisis!!, otherwise I know there are a few people who will lynch you~

And if possible, I'd like to see your thoughts on Watatsuki's Spellcard ~ Lunatic Blue.  It's not a chiptune, so... Yeah.  And it's pretty much the Watatsuki's theme, and as I'm a big fan of them... Well, you see where this is going, I suppose.

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #350 on: December 04, 2009, 09:01:14 PM »
Huh. So Yuka is generally what the Fandom make her to be. Of course, her dialogue in MS also shows this. Then if we compare her to Alice, while Alice changed and grew a lot since the time of MS, Yuka is still the same, maybe a little more peaceful, just as how Gensokyo became more peaceful since the Old Times have passed.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #351 on: December 04, 2009, 09:32:31 PM »
I shall not be pleased if you don't be look at Sailor of Time, Visionary Game ~ Dream War, and Vanishing Dream ~ Lost Dream.

Also, how could you not love the glory of chiptune Touhou music? <3

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #352 on: December 04, 2009, 09:38:18 PM »
I think at this rate, a lot of people will be unhappy if you miss even one boss theme from SoEW or PoDD xD Well, apart from the Five Magic Stones in SoEW, they're not really even a character <_<;

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #353 on: December 04, 2009, 10:03:51 PM »
I think at this rate, a lot of people will be unhappy if you miss even one boss theme from SoEW or PoDD xD Well, apart from the Five Magic Stones in SoEW, they're not really even a character <_<;
Hey. Bet on Death is a good song as well.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #354 on: December 04, 2009, 10:08:35 PM »
Hey. Bet on Death is a good song as well.

That may be, but it's character themes that are being analyzed here, not... Object themes :V

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #355 on: December 04, 2009, 10:59:27 PM »
Requesting Strawberry Crisis!!, Sailor of Time, and Kananananananaberal's theme, Vanishing Dream ~ Lost Dream.

Moerin

« Reply #356 on: December 04, 2009, 11:09:41 PM »
Oh crap, I almost forgot Rika's theme, She's In A Temper!, and the Evil Eye Sigma theme, The Aggressive Daughter's Visionary Dream~  Unless you'd count that second one as more of an alternate Rika theme, I guess.

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

Fightest

« Reply #357 on: December 04, 2009, 11:19:31 PM »
Hmm, it seems that I've totally shot myself in the foot with the whole 'request' business. Ah well, I'll do what I promised, all because I love you guys so much.

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #358 on: December 05, 2009, 01:12:21 AM »
Reincarnation. Do it Faggot!

And Yeah We Raabuu you too and I'm tired and the windows is scrolling down and up on it's own what.

Fightest

« Reply #359 on: December 08, 2009, 06:13:22 PM »
I'm not dead! Next update will hopefully be tomorrow.