Author Topic: Characters, music, personalities.  (Read 324118 times)

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
Re: Characters, music, personalities.
« Reply #300 on: November 13, 2009, 08:00:08 PM »
Well, she's being a ghost is just as fanon as ours.

Hieda no Aya

• I see you remodeled.
« Reply #301 on: November 14, 2009, 04:58:25 AM »
Yeah, PC-98 is before the spellcard system in-universe, and on the meta level, I've always gotten the impression ZUN didn't so much have a cohesive worldview he was shooting for with the series back then. Less Gensokyo+ is pretty darn reasonable. And it certainly has even more room for interpretation...

And Alice is verrry interesting. You know, I've never understood why the fandom is so fixated on the idea of Shinki being a mother in particular to Alice in particular -- maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like anything in the game points to that interpretation in particular. It's just one possibility, as good as any other. I always kinda liked the image of her being raised in Makai among beings that don't really have a concept of treating a human child differently than an unaging demon/youkai, or why it would be a good idea to do so. She strikes me as the kind of kid who'd like that illusion of maturity even as it kind of messes with her emotional development.

Does the Grimoire of Alice go under PC-98 or under alternate character themes, I wonder? But I'm looking forward to stuff in any direction.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #302 on: November 14, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »
Yuki and Mai ? Forbidden Magic

It should come as no surprise that this piece has two distinct voices in it, one for each of the two characters that it represents. Just the fact that they have a collective theme speaks volumes about Yuki and Mai: their relationship with one another has developed into a theme, a force of its own, where, despite any differences they might have or whether they agree or not, they are always aware of what the other is thinking or feeling at any given moment. This really goes beyond friendship - theirs being together is really a fundamental part of their existence, and without this, without the theme, they are something less than just two parts of a whole.

The first and second parts of the piece have a common theme in a constantly-repeating motif that skips between two registers, as if showing two different characters expressing the same thing in their own way. Notably, in the first part, both the arpeggioes and the barebones melody are devoted equal attention to demonstrate equal importance between Yuki and Mai. The way the motif flows, low-melody and high-accompaniment to high-melody and low-accompaniment shows a natural ability to cooperate between the two characters, each one being able to effortlessly take over where the other ended without so much as a hitch, as much as each one?s ability to give up what they?re doing at a moment?s notice to give priority to the other.

Due to such closeness and mutual empathy Yuki and Mai are really a greater-than-the-sum-of-their-parts entity, breaking down into mere shadows of their selves when separated.

Yuki ? Crimson Maiden ~ Crimson Dead!!

This breakdown is quite easily seen as Crimson Maiden bursts out into a panicked, frantic tempo. For a while the piece doesn?t even have a melody, just broken chords repeating themselves in several registers, as if showing Yuki being unable to grasp the situation without her partner present to complete her, flailing around for some sort of resolution, but finding none. She finds a certain stability soon enough, and a melodic line begins to poke through ? it?s not really possible to call it a melody, as its function is to support the frantic broken chords, and it?s also far too simple, consisting of only a few notes, so it?s more of a melodic accompaniment than anything else. This, to me, shows that Yuki tends to let her feelings fuel her. Even when she realizes that cool-headedness and care are the order of the day, she still lets her hotter feelings guide her actions. Still, the lack of substance in the melodic line shows her as trying to maintain her partner?s presence by taking her part onto herself as well, but failing to make it really matter ? there is obvious weakness to be seen when Yuki is alone.

The subtle change at around the 1-minute mark demonstrates how familiar Yuki is with herself, able to harness her emotions to her advantage. The motif drops in pitch, suddenly acquiring the properties of fire that we?ve heard so long ago in Immortal Smoke ? creeping, cunning and deliberate. And now, suddenly, the feeling of panic is gone; instead, that blazing bassline makes the broken chords powerful, controlled and merciless. Even the melodic accompaniment plays a bigger role, much louder and clearer. This eventual transition and associated change of attitude shows quite well how Yuki?s personality was balanced by her partner?s, and how thrown off she is immediately when her partner is not around. However, even without her, Yuki is able to stand her ground once she is able to center herself.

Mai ? Treacherous Maiden ~ Judas Kiss

Much like Crimson Maiden, this piece starts off frantic, but there is no feeling of panic ? the repeating broken chords are firmly locked in place, serving as a foundation for the collection of melodic ornaments that appear in the beginning ? a bit of a melodic line here, an imitation of the chords in a higher register there. Mai is as confused and frightened without her partner as Yuki is, however she is much more in control of herself, immediately putting a leash on her emotions, no matter how much they might threaten to overcome her.

Mai centers herself much faster than Yuki did, the 30-second mark?s introduction of a deep bass adding certainty and deliberation to the fast-paced ostinatos. A hint of a melody begins to shine through occasionally, although it frequently gets lost behind the chord cascades, as if Mai is still unsure how to compensate for the lack of her partner. This motif really comes into strength at around the 1-minute mark, where the bass deepens and the melody intensifies, the uncertain combination of notes and chords finally coming together into a true, individual theme ? Mai is far more stable than her partner, Yuki, lacking the intensity and power that the latter?s theme holds, compensating for it with greater deliberation and control, a greater ability to act independently.

I would comment on the name of the piece, but I have no idea where the concept of treachery and betrayal would fit into a relationship already as flavourful as Yuki and Mai?s without it becoming somewhat ridiculous. Anyway, I feel like I?ve only scratched the surface of what this pair can offer us, so I?d like to know what the rest of you think.

7TC7

• In best company
« Reply #303 on: November 14, 2009, 05:56:48 PM »
I would comment on the name of the piece, but I have no idea where the concept of treachery and betrayal would fit into a relationship already as flavourful as Yuki and Mai?s without it becoming somewhat ridiculous. Anyway, I feel like I've only scratched the surface of what this pair can offer us, so I'd like to know what the rest of you think.

If Yuki is defeated first:
Mai: ...... You're not bad.
Now that she's not dragging me down,
I can finally be serious.
This time, I'll definitely defeat you!!
*grows bigger wings* *starts attacking*

It could be that I'm just influenced by this, but I'm sure I hear some much darker and more dramatic tones in Judas Kiss, representing that Mai is really someone with a dark personality and a calmer mind compared to the panicking that you noticed in Yuki's Crimson Death.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #304 on: November 14, 2009, 07:14:22 PM »
It's not needed to summarize Yuki and Mai, they already have established characters, and the music tells us about these same characters.

Yuki and Mai is like those friends who are inseparable due their differences: think it as a "my best friend is my rival" stuff.

Yuki is like Fire. Mai is like Snow. The pun in their name is obvious. Yuki is that kind of character what you can associate with fire, while Mai is a cool person. Mai's "treachery" is more like a "I don't want to hurt my friend" thing. It's the clichéd "Agressive person/Calm person" duo (think Haruhi and Kyon; one is God, without knowing her power, the other is the Key to Everything; so who has more power again?).

Btw, both of them are Witches. We don't know if they're Natural-born Witches, or they were human once and became Witches, but it strengthens the fact mentioned in UFO, that Makai is a place where every witch and magician desires to go at least once.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 07:16:42 PM by Solais »

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #305 on: November 17, 2009, 12:20:49 PM »
I was just listening to Grimoire of Alice and I'm really curious how the analysis will come out on that one. Going from Plastic Mind to this, Grimoire just sounds so much more... cold and emotionless.

Fightest

« Reply #306 on: November 17, 2009, 12:29:55 PM »
Going from Plastic Mind to this, Grimoire just sounds so much more... cold and emotionless.

I've had a first-time listen to Grimoire just now and I can't help but disagree. There's a self-assured intensity there, a confident declaration of intent. A bit of insecurity, sure, but I'd have trouble attaching cold and emotionless to it.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #307 on: November 17, 2009, 12:37:34 PM »
Maybe "cold and emotionless" was the wrong phrase. Plastic Mind just sounds downright painful for Alice while Grimoire sounds incredibly more grown up and distant.

Mayhaps the transition from Plastic Mind to Grimoire of Alice could be an important aspect of Alice?

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #308 on: November 17, 2009, 01:18:14 PM »
Like how she got power and became youkai? I don't know the dialog or the ending, but maybe this is when she changed from a scared human to a more collected youkai.

Fightest

« Reply #309 on: November 17, 2009, 01:25:11 PM »
Mayhaps the transition from Plastic Mind to Grimoire of Alice could be an important aspect of Alice?

Quote from: Solais
maybe this is when she changed from a scared human to a more collected youkai.

Sounds believable. I'll see where my analysis will take me, but you two's suggestions are a pretty good starting point.

Fightest

« Reply #310 on: November 17, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Yumeko ? Doll of Misery

It seems to be a common theme amongst Makai?s inhabitants to exhibit some bizarre otherworldliness, a property that makes them appear uncanny and inhuman (even more so than the typical youkai). Sometimes they might try to adopt human mannerisms, but these tend to be obviously artificial; alternatively they don?t even try to do so and end up seeming entirely alien, albeit with plenty of personality in their own right. Yumeko, however, is a potent exception. ZUN?s notes on Doll of Misery state that this piece has the most complex chord progressions he has ever written, and it really shows ? this piece has the most true personality amongst any of those we?ve seen in Mystic Square so far, a character the listener can really relate to, with its emotional ups and downs, twists and nuances. Perhaps it?s the nature of her human form and the subconscious justification and adaptation of her mind of and to it, perhaps it?s a copycat mannerism that has her imitating the humans that drop by Makai every once in a while, perhaps it?s something else entirely ? either reason shows Yumeko is different from every Makai inhabitant we?ve seen so far. In addition, either reason supports something that has occurred to me ? Yumeko is, on a rough approximation, ancient; with age and experience comes the luxury of being able to be different from everyone else.

Doll of Misery starts off distant and alien ? diminished chords and dissonant harmonies serve as almost white noise, impossible to understand or relate to with the listener?s human senses and sensibilities. This is Yumeko as a true denizen of Makai ? strange, uncanny, perhaps a bit frightening in her intensity shown by the chords? merciless drone, never showing signs of stopping. This aspect, however, does not last long, as Yumeko notices the listener, and undergoes a surprising metamorphosis.

Long notes with a sharp, clear sound play out a melancholy tune brought together by major chords interspersing a mostly minor melody. Any sense of urgency brought on by the introduction completely dissipates along with the accompaniment, which is reduced to pinpoint chords to support the melodic line. The motif rings out, almost echoing, bringing with it associations the listener might have never thought to see. It is as if the listener looks into Yumeko?s eyes for the first time and sees something terrifyingly familiar in them, something unexpected in the otherworldly wasteland of Makai ? the joys and sorrows of humanity.

The revelation continues as the theme develops; the melody and accompaniment picking up more texture whilst retaining the ringing, echoing aspect. In just a few bars, the melody travels through a wealth of tonalities, each one carefully placed after the other, ardently following the rules of harmonic progression, yet showing a highly expressive side of Yumeko. Curiously, the structure of the accompaniment greatly resembles that of the introduction, except that here it is highly controlled by the harmonic flow, diligently taking on the appropriate chords to support the melody. Yumeko clearly is in touch with her Makaian origin, yet she seems to prioritize her humanity, putting a leash on her youkai tendencies, using them as a counterpoint to emphasize those qualities she wants to show ? emotions, compassion, and the like. And she indeed takes great care when doing so, always one step ahead of herself, planning and anticipating, always controlling her emotional flow as to be predictable and logical, and she turns out all the more appealing for it.

The more jaded of listeners might assume an ulterior motive beneath all the posturing as a human, or as something human-like. Yumeko herself, however, addresses these apprehensions as the music takes a turn for the uninhibited. The volume increases along with the ?instrumentation? for the melody, and the harmony stops its gentle traipse through classical chord progressions. It is as if Yumeko gives herself a jump start with her prepared mannerisms, then switches to something from herself to ensure that she does not scare away the listener and without switching back to the expected Makai aloofness. It is still impossible to really say why Yumeko does this, but there is a genuine effort on her part. Perhaps she has grown tired of Makai, perhaps her mistress is involved somehow, and perhaps this might even have something to do with Alice.

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #311 on: November 17, 2009, 09:12:48 PM »
It seems to be a common theme amongst Makai?s inhabitants to exhibit some bizarre otherworldliness,

Otherworldly (I think this will apply to all Makai residents)

:V

Also, I think Yumeko is the first creation of Shinki this is why she's her most powerful servant, and why she's so ancient. She maybe even started to gain a human personality due to her age.

Old Hag meme, all the way!

Fightest

« Reply #312 on: November 19, 2009, 08:36:21 PM »
Thread not dead! Only distracted by Dragon Age!

Shinki ? Legendary Illusion ∼ Infinite Being.

This piece is about nothing less than a God - a truly divine being immaculate in her splendor - and her realm. She is a different kind of God to Kanako ? the latter is an animistic goddess, more of a protector of her realm, invincible whilst in it, but ultimately tied to it ? should her realm weaken, then so will Kanako. Shinki, however, holds absolute power in and of her realm. It is not conceivable for her realm to weaken, as she could simply choose to make it stronger. Indeed, Shinki?s power is almost of Biblical proportions, as she is able to create and shape all around her to her whim. Of course, in her divinity she is not without flaws, and these really flavour her behaviour, giving the listener a glimpse into her motivations and her desires.

The piece starts off with the now-familiar Makaian atmosphere. This time, however, it feels charged, much like how one can feel the tension in the air before a thunderstorm. The energy present does not go anywhere because it already has nowhere to go ? everything around the listener is saturated to the brim with a power that seemingly comes from all places at once. Much like with Yukari, it is impossible for Shinki to be in the vicinity and for everyone not to feel it at once. It is not a benevolent, nor a malevolent power that the listener feels, however. It is a power that is simply there, doing what it is meant to do, regardless of whether it helps or harms someone.

Then Shinki appears. Several factors come together to create this awesome atmosphere around her. Of course, the melody?s long, sustained, smooth notes playing a confident theme create the necessary sense of majesty, the impression that this person has the luxury of deciding her own pace, as nothing can stop her from doing so. The supporting sharp chords almost echo, which adds that cosmic expansiveness that we?ve often heard in other boss themes. The deep, unrelenting bass adds a seriousness to the generally high-pitched melody, almost a growl to remind the listener in whose presence he is in. Ornamentation appears quite often in this segment, adding a bizarre touch of playfulness to a generally grim and cosmic melody ? this clearly comes from Shinki herself, as if she is playing with her surroundings as if they were mere clay at her hands, shaping the world around her to fit her tastes.

The atmosphere changes greatly in the second part of the piece, and here is where we learn about Shinki?s inner workings. The oppressive bass retreats to the background, and the echoing chords vanish. Instead of the dignified, almost solemn melody of the first part we hear an upbeat, simple 2x4-bar tune, employing a significant amount of syncopation, mostly in major. I believe that Shinki is, for all her grandness and power, quite childishly selfish. She is a great craftsman, and she knows it ? she enjoys her work and takes pride in her creations, but, on the flipside, she wants to keep them to herself, wants to surround things completely under her control, and hates intruders and anything that might upset her perfect little world. Obviously she would react poorly to the protagonists? assault on Makai.

The third part, shortest of all three, seems the inevitable conclusion of the character traits we see in the second. The melody is subdued, no longer tending to hop across the octaves. Bell-like sounds accompany the melody to add back in the characteristic otherwordly feeling into the generally melancholic motif. Soon enough, what could pass for an oboe enters the melody, adding that very powerful, lonely sound on top of everything else. Yes, Shinki, in her state of self-imposed solitary confinement, where everything is under her control, is lonely. In that case it?s quite expected that she would cause such an upset as opening up Makai to the outside world for a breath of fresh air, as it were.

I hope I?ve made some satisfactory points about Shinki, her being our first really major character from the PC-98 era. I don?t know if I?m grasping at smoke here, but I?m really seeing some severe differences between PC-98 and Windows Touhou, mostly the increase of grimdark aspects. I?ll honestly say I thought people were talking rubbish when they were saying old Touhou was darker, but, well, I?m convinced.

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #313 on: November 19, 2009, 09:07:33 PM »
Hmm. So... *trying to put his words into a some kind of a metaphor* ... Shinki is like some totally, perfectly introverted person, who is so disconnected from the world that she made a little inner world where she reigns as God? Or maybe she and Makai is the representation of every inner world a human have? Because, I always say, that every human has an inner world and they're the God of this world. And if someone try to force themselves into this world, it would seem otherworldly. This is why humans can't understand each other that fast, they need time to "unlock" this world, and it only works if the God of the World wants it.
I wonder, is Makai ZUN's inner world? Or that's actually Gensokyo? (I believe it's Gensokyo. Reading CoLA somehow made me understand him.) If it's Gensokyo that means he is a social person? (Easy to understand, and highly popular and addictive.)

MCXD

• Test
  • Light Sign "Heaven Engine"
« Reply #314 on: November 20, 2009, 02:54:28 AM »
I'm not sure if it has been answered already, as I have been reading your analysis articles off and on, but a question just occurred to me.

Is all this to say that ZUN is a brilliant music composer? Or is this sort of thing present in a lot of other games as well? Or even more-in, is it present everywhere, but when someone says that music 'fits' a character they are subconsciously connecting all of these dots anyway?

Fightest

« Reply #315 on: November 20, 2009, 07:29:33 AM »
I'm not sure if it has been answered already, as I have been reading your analysis articles off and on, but a question just occurred to me.

Is all this to say that ZUN is a brilliant music composer? Or is this sort of thing present in a lot of other games as well?

A bit of all of the above, really. ZUN is certainly very talented in what he does, recall that just the Windows Touhou games have over a hundred individual themes, including bosses and stages, and he's never repeated himself even once. This is certainly something that appears, albeit to a lesser degree, in other games - characters might have their own themes, likewise bosses - but it's most prominent in Touhou, each and every boss being associated with a particular theme just by the nature of how the game is structured, making it easy to attach that music to them on a deeper level.

Or even more-in, is it present everywhere, but when someone says that music 'fits' a character they are subconsciously connecting all of these dots anyway?

This is a major aspect, there's a lot of subconscious association going on with some of the more memetically established characters, for example I knew I would capitalise on Byakuren's Youkai Jesus status, or on Parsee's jealousy. However, I do try my best to substantiate my opinions with musical facts about the piece itself, and try to glean some new characteristics by myself.

Fightest

« Reply #316 on: November 23, 2009, 09:02:46 AM »
As much as I'm interested in old (young?) Alice, I'll lump Grimoire of Alice into the "alternate themes" category and move on to Lotus Land Story. Update will come later today, hopefully, so for the moment I'll put down a few comments and questions:

- Should I do Highly Responsive to Prayers? It seems to be way off-canon, and really weird at that.

- Someone lied to me! Maiden's Capriccio originated in Lotus Land Story, meaning that Reimu's two themes, the other being Mystic Oriental Love Consultation are only a game apart. I'm not sure what to make of this, though.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #317 on: November 23, 2009, 09:13:52 AM »
- Should I do Highly Responsive to Prayers? It seems to be way off-canon, and really weird at that.
I don't really think you can appoint a given song to a character in HRtP.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #318 on: November 23, 2009, 10:34:50 PM »
I think that you should do Sariel and Konngara's themes, yes, but go ahead and skip the other stuff in there.

Fightest

« Reply #319 on: November 24, 2009, 09:38:04 AM »
Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Unfortunately, updates will be delayed even further, since I appear to be ill. Which sucks.

To keep a semblance of interest, here's today's question: what makes a ZUN track a ZUN track? In other words, when people imitate him, what is it specifically that they must imitate to, well, have their piece sound like one of his? Is it the instrumentation, the pacing, the stylistic tendencies? What do you think, readers?

MCXD

• Test
  • Light Sign "Heaven Engine"
« Reply #320 on: November 24, 2009, 10:06:12 AM »
I think that you should do As Master Kappa Says ~ One-Way Accelerator  :V

Although in all seriousness, I don't much care for HRtP. I think you're pretty much out of Touhou options as far as ZUN's works go, unless you analyze some of the CD songs, if any are actually linked to any characters.

I guess it is just remixes/arranges from here on out D: oh noes. (?)

Fightest

« Reply #321 on: November 24, 2009, 10:48:30 AM »
I think that you should do As Master Kappa Says ~ One-Way Accelerator  :V

Although in all seriousness, I don't much care for HRtP. I think you're pretty much out of Touhou options as far as ZUN's works go, unless you analyze some of the CD songs, if any are actually linked to any characters.

I guess it is just remixes/arranges from here on out D: oh noes. (?)

Oh, gosh no, I've still got alternate themes remaining, and there's quite a bunch.

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #322 on: November 24, 2009, 08:20:02 PM »
Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Unfortunately, updates will be delayed even further, since I appear to be ill. Which sucks.

To keep a semblance of interest, here's today's question: what makes a ZUN track a ZUN track? In other words, when people imitate him, what is it specifically that they must imitate to, well, have their piece sound like one of his? Is it the instrumentation, the pacing, the stylistic tendencies? What do you think, readers?
*offers donations to Reimu's Sanae's both Hakurei and Moriya Shrines' donation boxes, prays for you to get well soon >.<*

Ah, interesting question! I've always want to hear about that, though I don't know how to, uhh, tell something about it.
So there's this ZUN melody, which makes it pretty much a ZUN track. Can't miss that. When I heard UFO's stage 4 for the first time, it sounded like reminded me of a very old ghost/undead anime I vaguely know of, GeGeGe no Kitaro, and some 1980-ish cruising/robot anime i couldn't name. Only this time it's in ZUN style. The melody is very catchy. Well, almost all Touhou tracks are IMO. For one, I tend to hum second voices instruments of MoF's A God That Misses People ~ Romantic Fall.

And hmm... mixed with something important that I couldn't compose to words what it is >.<... Oddly, it has something to do with environment, or culture (but not limited to those)... Sensitive Heart's Touhou albums pretty much tells/improves that part/idea of a track being a ZUN track... or more appropriately a Touhou track, IMO. [example: Fallusion - Maple Flowed]
And pretty much all you mentioned (instrumentation, style shifts, etc).
... aaaa-I think I'll just bust in when I hear someone tell of what I've been willing to point :V

If HRtP were to be analyzed, I'd like to request Eternal Shrine Maiden... partly because it's a personal favorite, and the thought that it's the first ever stage theme (that somehow relates to Reimu, especially after the remixes) in the series, regardless of HRtP being shmup-and-platform-like or something... that is, if HRtP or only part of it were to be analyzed.

I'm at a loss of words how I appreciate the analyzations so much >w<. It makes me like/love the theme and the character more. And also,
Also, since we were talking about PC-98 fandom earlier (or the lack of rather) I think we should take Fightest's analysis of each theme and use it as our fandom material. :V

EDIT[after 9hrs]: Ohmigah, I forgot to complete my UFO statement o_o *adds*
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 06:05:54 AM by Lloyd Dunamis »
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

Fightest

« Reply #323 on: November 25, 2009, 06:39:26 PM »
[edit: needs an intro] I'm starting on Lotus Land Story, having skipped Grimoire of Alice as I mentioned before. I'm curious what I'm going to do with Yuka and her two themes, but that's a problem to solve when I get there.

Orange ? Decoration Battle

The 6-second introduction sets the mood for the rest of the piece ? fast-paced, energetic, restless. Despite Orange being essentially irrelevant to the plot, she has a lot of personality stuffed into her that just needs to have itself heard. She burns bright, but very fast, not having enough emotional or physical stamina to support her fiery personality.

The melody has three distinct parts, practically unthinkable for a very first boss theme, which demonstrates an unusual expressive drive in her, one that she can barely keep up with at the best of times. All are characterized by ambitious and quick melodic lines that span large amounts of the keyboard, yet there is a presence of a distinct structure. The instrumentation is as expected ? a strong trumpet-like sound carries the main melody, although there is an interesting addition of a deeper sound to accentuate the main notes in the melody that adds a certain resonance to these notes, almost softening them.

Each melodic interval is no more than a few seconds long, and quickly switches to the next one that is equally energetic and, well, bouncy. Almost always a large amount of ornamentation is present, representing the usual penchant for independent action and strong need to add self-expression into situations that might not require it. There is almost a haphazard disregard for major and minor as the piece switches between the two as it sees fit. A final point to note is how the piece audibly runs out of steam halfway through, losing a lot of its drive, carrying on by melody alone, only picking itself up towards the end.

Putting all the above together, Orange strikes me as a person who enjoys action of any kind. She tends to be a bit noisy due to her desire to express everything she thinks, and can tend to seem to be everywhere at once for the same reason ? do everything, try everything, say everything. It?s important to point out that she isn?t stupid or simple ? she just never has time to delve deeply into something due to her impulsive nature. Unfortunately, she just can?t really keep up with herself, physically or mentally, so she ends up getting dragged around everywhere ? by herself, mind you ? when she should just stop and take a break.

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #324 on: November 25, 2009, 08:58:54 PM »
Orange

- Hyperactive

And nothing else. :V
There's already a meme that she's dead. :V

misosoupwitheggplant

• stalking stalker a stalker.
« Reply #325 on: November 26, 2009, 02:35:24 AM »
ORANGE~

Er, anyhow, I have to agree with you. I always imagined Orange just wanting to help everyone and failing miserably... That kind of fits, though. But her theme has way too many parts. I say that only because I'm having trouble writing sheet music for myself so I can play Decoration Battle. :/
I've been waiting forever for you to get to Decoration battle. Now I can sleep once in a while.

(Edit-Argh, my computer.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 02:53:16 AM by misosoupwitheggplant »
Current cosplays

Suwako- Some con
Cirno- A&G Ohio

Fightest

« Reply #326 on: November 27, 2009, 09:16:30 PM »
Kurumi ? Scarlet Symphony ∼ Scarlet Phoneme.

LLS just keeps throwing out surprises one after the other. Where Decoration Battle was hyperactively dense and action-packed, Scarlet Symphony is pretty much on the other end of the spectrum, autistically fixated on one motif and one motif only, using that single melodic progression to try to express far more than it really can.

I?ve frequently associated such consistent and dedicated repetition of a motif, such as the one that can be heard in Scarlet Symphony, with a mental or psychological issue or deficiency. The piece has no more than one motif that it sends through bizarre and thoroughly unexpected harmonic transitions to express an unusual range of emotions, with utter disregard for harmonic sense and pacing. The image that I get, and I will be honest here, is of an autistic child. They feel and experience the full range of emotions available, but are ultimately unable to fully express themselves to those around them. What little information they get across is confusing and nonsensical to those unfamiliar with the child?s behaviour, and this only leads to frustration on both ends. The same I feel with this piece ? a maddeningly simple and repetitive motif, entirely consistent within itself due to its adherence to following mostly a single chord?s notes, but with the tendency to inexplicably change from major to minor tonality ? Kurumi wishes to express something, but the barrier between her and the listener only lets through what of her emotions, but not the why. The suddenness of the change bears noting, and this is what reinforces that childlike image ? adults rarely tend to skip from emotion to emotion, but young children are more immediately affected by their environment, thus making such rapid shifts more likely.

I?ll be honest, there?s little else for me to mention. I would be able to comment some more if I maybe knew Kurumi?s dialogue, but I doubt it would really help one way or the other. What I do find curious is, despite there being easily over three different mentally unstable or undeveloped characters, each of them has a distinctly unique issue or illness and manner of expressing it. Personally, I doubt this is truly intentional on ZUN?s part, and is probably just the result of his incredible sense of variety in the music he writes.

« Reply #327 on: December 01, 2009, 09:18:49 AM »
I wouldn't call these characters' oddities 'illnesses' so to speak. They had been 'ill' longer than Reimu had lived when she met them. I think that the strange habits and beliefs are quirks of their personalities and intrinsic parts of who they are rather than 'disorders'. After all, they're all not human, so how can a human say they're sick?

Fightest

« Reply #328 on: December 01, 2009, 09:38:05 AM »
I wouldn't call these characters' oddities 'illnesses' so to speak. They had been 'ill' longer than Reimu had lived when she met them. I think that the strange habits and beliefs are quirks of their personalities and intrinsic parts of who they are rather than 'disorders'. After all, they're all not human, so how can a human say they're sick?

They're anthropomorphic, so I feel that it's not unreasonable to compare them with humans. Your point is valid, of course, that I describe their quirks and oddities by human standards. However, I have to use some standards to describe them, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get my point across, and the best comparisons I can draw are, indeed, to humans.

Bringing back what I mentioned initially - they look like humans, so in some way they would act like humans, hence me judging them by these human terms. If they were so alien that they couldn't be compared to humans at all, there'd be no point to these analyses.  ;D

Fightest

« Reply #329 on: December 01, 2009, 11:01:55 AM »
I apologise for the slow updating, but my workload's suddenly shot up, and I'm grateful for that, but it does mean there's less time for me to listen to Touhous.

Elly ? Spirit Battle ~ Perdition Crisis

This piece consists of two almost even time-wise, though very different in terms of content, halves. The first is exceptionally varied, with several distinct melodies and a well-developed introduction, whereas the second hangs on the repetition of a single short motif and its one variation. It is obvious to me that this duality is a key aspect of Elly?s personality. I will draw comparisons to the other gatekeepers that we?ve seen ? Sara and Hong Meiling ? as I believe there are some similarities between all three that bear mentioning. The first part I?ll split up bit by bit, as there?s quite a lot to mention, the second I?ll comment on generally.

The first part?s 25-second introduction consists of two parts itself, the first building up tension through a slow chord progression that moves towards an obvious culmination, but never quite gets there until the introduction?s second part, where the tension is released, both harmonically and instrumentally, into a tonic chord that hangs for a long time, does a quick development in its own key and makes a quick and unintrusive transition into the first proper melodic part. There is nothing unusual about a certain menace in a gatekeeper like Elly ? after all, a guard must command respect, and, as they say, fear is a good motivator for respect. This introduction suggests that she is an experienced guard, familiar with using both verbal and body language to quickly subdue her opponent, establishing herself as the one in control and thus approach the situation on her terms. She is probably impartial to those she encounters on-duty, so she has a great deal of passion for her job, never taking shortcuts or letting herself go even if in familiar company.

The melodic part of the first half consists of a repeating motif where the rhythmic structure remains the same, but the notes change, allowing the melody to change and develop rapidly whilst maintaining a sense of familiarity for the listener. The melody is mostly in minor; however the fast tempo and power of the accompaniment avoid any feelings of despair or melancholy, instead maintaining a serious determination that flows naturally from the vague menace that was formed in the introduction. There is a degree of ornamentation present that suggests a free-thinking attitude on Elly?s part. Elly easily adapts to her situations, very quickly analyzing and judging her surroundings, practically changing herself completely, yet still remaining focused on her original principles and missions, prioritizing them and never letting them out of her sight.

Despite this adaptability, Elly has a tendency to get stuck due to her determination, as the second half shows. There is exactly one rhythmic motif that?s a short 7 notes long that has one melodic variation. These are repeated over and over, the supporting accompaniment straining and struggling, yet ultimately doing little to break the never-ending loop. This strikes me as a core part of Elly that fits in to what I mentioned in the previous paragraph ? she gets tunnel vision, and, despite her adaptability, she sometimes gets stuck against an obstacle that she cannot cross and, instead of reconsidering her options and trying a different route completely, she strains against it, even if it?s impassable. This would come up, I reckon, if she had to go against her goals, even slightly ? in this case no amount of adaptation can help her, it?s simply not possible for her.