Author Topic: [Art]Imosa's - /r/parahumans theme  (Read 58156 times)

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
[Art]Imosa's - /r/parahumans theme
« on: July 26, 2012, 12:34:20 AM »
I guess I can make one of these. I have a specific question but I might use this a bit in the future.

So, I rediscovered the joy of pixel art, this happens every once in a while. It all started when I saw this. So simple and clean... also reminiscent of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I liked it so much I began messing around a bit:

Then I messed around a bit more:

What I'm interested in is some feed back on Koakuma's back:

First of all, I failed at her hair and have no idea how to fix it. Second, I'm pretty sure the wings are off center but that seems like where her back would be. Any assistance would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:24:30 PM by Imosa »

Minty

• Mint is the answer to everything.
  • ...EVERYTHING.
Re: [Art]Imosa's - Pixel Art
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 12:46:43 AM »
I for one think that Koakuma looks pretty cute  :derp:

You did a really good job there. To me, her back looks fine. Not all wings are symmetrical, and in pixel art you're allowed to be a bit askew. One thing that does look a bit odd is that the wing at Koakuma's closest side seems smaller than the one beside it. It's all a matter of perspective. That's the whole "rustic charm" that we love.

Paru-paru~ such good pixel art. What program did you use?

Imosa

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 01:38:14 AM »
I for one think that Koakuma looks pretty cute  :derp:

You did a really good job there. To me, her back looks fine. Not all wings are symmetrical, and in pixel art you're allowed to be a bit askew. One thing that does look a bit odd is that the wing at Koakuma's closest side seems smaller than the one beside it. It's all a matter of perspective. That's the whole "rustic charm" that we love.

Paru-paru~ such good pixel art. What program did you use?
Here's the deal with the wing closer to the viewer. The wings are bent out from the body and so while you see the far wing from the side, and thus it's full size, you see the closer one from the edge and thus it looks smaller. Maybe that's trying for too much detail in a world where everything already runs along parallel lines.

As for how I made it. I did all the actual pixel art in in Grafx2, imported the pieces into in Adobe Flash CS3 (koakuma's 6 frames, the wood floor tile, and the bookshelf) and assembled them into the frames, and then fixed some transparency and optimized in the GIMP.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 05:07:26 AM »
These are both adorable and quite detailed and I eagerly await more. :3

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 05:45:33 AM »
Pixel art weee, I liked these ones, you covered a lot of details but for me Koakuma really looks that she has one wing smaller than other and Patchoulli should have more hair (or she is just using a ponytail :P)
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Imosa

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 06:03:58 AM »
Pixel art weee, I liked these ones, you covered a lot of details but for me Koakuma really looks that she has one wing smaller than other and Patchoulli should have more hair (or she is just using a ponytail :P)
So I stole Patchoulli's look from the fighting games (especially the color palette because I can't make those): http://en.touhouwiki.net/images/3/3d/Th123PatchouliColors.png
There she has her hair going over her shoulders. Chibi anatomy being what it is, that's very awkward here so I just let the hair hang and defy gravity a bit. Maybe I should just give her long hair.

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 07:23:06 AM »
brb spazzing out

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 03:12:11 AM »
Wow, this is really nice. Keep it up!

Imosa

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 05:34:45 PM »
I have decided to put a few more hard hours into this pixel art thing because it was a lot of fun, so expect to see some cool stuff soon. However, I really wanna show this off and milk it for praise because I'm syched about it (honesty, YEAH). I practice Kendo as a physical activity, and decided to check out the reddit community, because naturally there's going to be a reddit community for anything, and I was disappointed when I saw their boring logo. So, I decided to make an alien for them. Everyone loved it, I got huge praise + karma, and I think it may be the single highest praise any of my artwork has ever received. In general, it was just a total success.
http://www.reddit.com/r/kendo/comments/wzmf9/a_kendo_alien/

Additional thought about pixel art: Is Koakuma walking too fast? I think it is. That's a 80 ms period or 12.5 fps. I might raise it a bit.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:52:28 PM by Imosa »

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 02:10:36 AM »
Koakuma is walking at a pretty decent pace to me. Maybe slow it down a little but not too much if at all.

Imosa

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 04:29:52 AM »
Alright, here is my latest work:

19:30 seconds long, 305 frames, 130.4kb. Made using Grafx2, Adobe Flash CS3, and GIMP.
The point of this was to see how well I could make a longer animation using flash, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm slowly but surely nailing down the standards, e.i. where the feed stand on a square, where the center of a body is, how large the body can be.
I'll probably continue adding to this image, building up a little series of things that happen in Voile Library. You may notice this is sig sized, there's a reason for that. I dunno if I can put such a huge image in my sig but I'd like to. 

In actuality, I'm really pissed off. You may notice that Patch doesn't have any highlights in her hair. I have no idea why. For some reason Flash won't export the color, and about a half hour ago I was hysterical about it. The picture is WAY under 255 colors (54) and I believe the color map even has the correct color in it. If anyone knows a forum where I can ask about Flash, I'd love to hear about it.

+=+=+=I'll be doing some testing down here so don't mind it=+=+=+
Trying to see if I can imbed links into my gifs (i.e. Make books url links to my threads), by cutting up the image. The question is will the separate animations stay synchronized. I'm not sure but I hope interlacing means, yes.

Ok, I'm thinking it would in ideal cases but I just saw Koakuma run headlong into herself. It would be cool but if the images go out of synch, it isn't worth it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:54:02 AM by Imosa »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 10:35:03 PM »
I noticed something moving on the bookshelves and then saw it was candle flames flickering and was taken aback by all the wonderful little details you put into these.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 04:34:05 AM »
Koa's little headwings flapping is the icing on the adorable cake here. :3

Imosa

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 06:37:33 AM »
I noticed something moving on the bookshelves and then saw it was candle flames flickering and was taken aback by all the wonderful little details you put into these.
Yeah, I need to find more little stuff like that to animate, unfortunately its a library so there isn't too much of that. I have made quite a few props though, and will start throwing them in when I feel like it. Most of my time is spent experimenting with my process rather then the outcome.
Koa's little headwings flapping is the icing on the adorable cake here. :3
You may have expected Koa to bob up and down in the air since wings provide varying thrust but I realized that Koa's head wings work to correct the thrust variation of her main wings. It would be very hard to hover and read if you were constantly moving up and down, so this was obviously a strategic move on ZUN's part.

Today I decided to make a new character, Tokiko, perfect for the library, and I didn't even know she existed until yesterday. However, instead of adding her to the current scene I decided to mess around a little and made a new avatar. I then remembered that the site still doesn't support animated gifs for avatars... well, I'm not sure I like how the shelf turned out anyway. I tried some new poses, sitting on an edge and on the floor and would love to hear what people think about those.

1.5 seconds, 9 frames. Made with Grafx2, Adobe Flash CS3*cough*, and Gimp
I'm considering a new way to get animations out of flash. Write a java program that takes screenshots of each frame while in flash and compile them into a gif. It's pretty ghetto but it produces better results then exporting a gif. Again, a swf to gif conversion would just help immensely.

Edit: Of course, she wasn't reading the book backwards. She was just frantically trying to get to the front... so she could read it again... Don't worry shes fine now.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:18:00 AM by Imosa »

pasu

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 07:09:57 AM »
Oh my Hijiri.

Imosa, you're giving us diabetes.

But do continue.

I like how your sig will expand as the library expands, it's so precious ;_ ;

And I agree with the rest on koa's head wings gosh I need an insulin shot

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 12:33:46 AM »
This is absolutely adorabbuble and diabetes inducing :3

pineyappled

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 01:26:41 AM »
adorabubble

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 04:22:19 AM »
I'm pretty sure that when Pasu of all people complains of diabeetus that you've breached some sort of moe threshold.

(This is a compliment BTW Pasu. :P )

Also, Tokiko looks best sitting on the edge. The book animation is wonderful.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:29:09 AM by SacredSwimmySerpent »

Imosa

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 03:34:16 PM »
Also, Tokiko looks best sitting on the edge. The book animation is wonderful.
It's not one or the other. Normally the rear leg is smaller then the other but when sitting on the ground I think I'll make them the same size. The only reason I keep them like that is because the original picture was like that. Come to think of it, that might not be such a great reason. *shrug* It's a minor style issue for the most part.

Imosa

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »
So here's the deal. I've been on vacation at the beach and decided that I should take some Touhous with me. A contest was held and the winner was... Moriya Shrine.

I was hoping to get this first one done fairly fast because I wanted to make a sequel but I guess I'm still not good enough for that kind of pace. I spent a lot of time trying out new methods of animating so at least I'm learning and perhaps the next one will be faster (see what a maturing artist I am, eat your heart out Mrs. [every art teacher I ever had]).
In final news I have no idea what will happen from here on out. Between the many things I do at college I may find myself too busy to work on pixel art... or anything touhou related for that matter. So, sad as it may be to never see a growing sig, this may be it for me.

pineyappled

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 06:41:58 AM »
asdf is the only word that i can come up with to properly describe how cute that is

Imosa

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 07:04:40 AM »
Oh, I also have a request for anyone willing to help me out. I found the guy who made the original image I'm working off of but I can't read anything about because language barrier and google translate being surprisingly unhelpful. Can anyone tell me if this guy is still active: http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=648642.

pineyappled

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 07:30:40 AM »
Last post was in March. Look at the submission dates.

pasu

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »
MY

KOKORO

M-MORIYA FAMILY OUTING

/dead

(Why is Kanako being a party pooper and not letting suwako enter the water though; and what's Sanae saying? I can see Kanako's speech bubble containing musical notes)

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 09:13:28 AM »
Oh my god! ~~~~ it's sooooooo cute !!!!!!!!!!

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »
hngGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Oh, I also have a request for anyone willing to help me out. I found the guy who made the original image I'm working off of but I can't read anything about because language barrier and google translate being surprisingly unhelpful. Can anyone tell me if this guy is still active: http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=648642.
remember running into this guy on pixivchat...goodtimes
i checked his pixiv bookmarks and one of his latest bookmarks was done around 5th of august so :v

which image are you working off though
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

Imosa

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Last post was in March. Look at the submission dates.
Oh, lol, I totally missed that.

(Why is Kanako being a party pooper and not letting suwako enter the water though; and what's Sanae saying? I can see Kanako's speech bubble containing musical notes)
I just thought some light bullying (there's a better word out there) was appropriate while they were already on vacation. I know my interpretation isn't spot on for any character so I just decided to go for it. 
As for what they are saying, I have no idea. However, Kanako's text contains a musical note because I know they are sometimes used to emote happiness and a carefree feeling. The goal of the text was just to create random chatter.

which image are you working off though
Thanks a lot. This. I'm very happy with the distance I'm keeping away from that image.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 08:02:19 PM »
Such adorable beach parties. :3 (And Kanako you're a meaniehead. >:C )

Sad to hear you may be moving on to better pastures but best of luck with whatever you do!

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 12:29:48 AM »
Please don't kill me

I beg of you

MY KOKORO CAN'T TAKE THIS!

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 12:59:36 AM »
The time is always a problem, I wish that one day could have 40 hours :P

Anyway nice job man, that water effect is so fun. BtW I don't have a pixiv account but if you paste the text here I can try to translate it for you
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>