Author Topic: Phantasmagoria of Flower View English Patch Release!  (Read 133046 times)

Re: Phantasmagoria of Flower View English Patch Release!
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2009, 11:07:58 AM »
No, it's not. I have never, ever heard "Patch" being referred to as shorthand for Patchouli, and I've read every single manga in the gensokyo.org gallery. "Patchu" is likely the pronunciation used by the character who said that, and it should remain as such.

Actually, the katakana in the original ending was (パチェ) Patche.
So, I changed it to Patche, after speaking with the translators.

As for dead parrots, they're coming back in the next version, which should be up later today if all goes according to plan.

I'll check out that replay sometime today, but I don't know what I could do to make things work.  I had already tested replays early on and checked that they were compatible no matter what kind of PoFV you were running.

Also, Doyora, did you make that comic?  It's hilarious.
Aya looks so goofy in the third panel.

« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2009, 07:38:22 PM »

« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2009, 11:26:38 PM »
New version up.
Go get your parrots.

Easy Mode

« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2009, 11:29:25 PM »
Yay! Dead Parrots are back!
Thank you!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2009, 11:53:32 PM »
This is great and all, and I'm happy to see the Dead Parrot's triumphant return, BUT

I'm using WINE, as you know, and goddamn it 1.5 freezes on me between stages! 1.0 never did this to me. Anyone with any helpful hints?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2009, 11:57:16 PM »
Oy.

Is this a new problem with the 1.0 english patch?
Describe "freezing"?  What freezes, specifically, and does it crash at all?

Tengukami

« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2009, 12:04:31 AM »
Oy.

Is this a new problem with the 1.0 english patch?
Describe "freezing"?  What freezes, specifically, and does it crash at all?

Oops, sorry, I wasn't very clear there. What I meant was PoFV 1.5 freezes between stages - the little spinning flower thingy that says "Loading" at the end of one stage and before a new one - will seize up, and the game freezes, prompting me to kill the process. Now, I don't know if this is the patch or PoFV at work here - all I know is PoFV 1.0 did not freeze on me. As the patch requires 1.5, that's what I went ahead and got for it.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2009, 12:04:50 AM »
Choosing the traditional option for both during patching prevents the score numbers from displaying in Arabic. Not sure if this was intentional?
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2009, 12:18:20 AM »
The score numbers remaining as kanji numerals is intentional in the traditional images.

To Amaterasu-omikami:
Weren't you able to get the english revised beta patched PoFV 1.50a to run flawlessly in WINE, aside from that big dialog box when you close it?  Could you have changed some settings between now and then to have caused this new behavior?

Tengukami

« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2009, 12:21:14 AM »
Weren't you able to get the english revised beta patched PoFV 1.50a to run flawlessly in WINE, aside from that big dialog box when you close it?  Could you have changed some settings between now and then to have caused this new behavior?

That's right, I had no problems whatsoever. I did upgrade my operating system from Mint 6 to Mint 7. As Yukari as my witness, if I need to reinstall Mint 6 in order to play this game, I'll do it.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2009, 12:24:50 AM »
Did you just offer us OPTIONS for our patches?

You totally just made up for every mistake ever 8D

« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2009, 12:25:57 AM »
Well, we know upgrading operating systems in the Windows world breaks everything by design.  Hopefully the same's not true for Linux.

What combination did you use for script/images?  I could patch myself up in the same way and try it out.  Maybe I overlooked something.

EDIT: Garlyle, is that like, every mistake ever made in human history, or every mistake ever made by every other patcher except me.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2009, 12:28:25 AM »
Yeah! Parrot Get!

Tengukami

« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2009, 12:30:35 AM »
Well, we know upgrading operating systems in the Windows world breaks everything by design.  Hopefully the same's not true for Linux.

Ha, yeah. Mint 7 is superior to Mint 6 in every way - except this. The downgrade is worth it, to be honest.

What combination did you use for script/images?  I could patch myself up in the same way and try it out.  Maybe I overlooked something.

I went traditional on both counts but really, don't put yourself out for one guy here. I don't want to make extra work for you when everyone else seems to not be having this problem, and when it could very well be a problem on my end.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2009, 12:44:37 AM »
EDIT: Garlyle, is that like, every mistake ever made in human history, or every mistake ever made by every other patcher except me.

Make your own decision 8D

But, err...

The score numbers remaining as kanji numerals is intentional in the traditional images.
Why?  And also, the text at the top of the sound room remains 100% moonrunes...

I think I might take that previous comment back, though, as it doesn't impact much at all, just thought I'd point it out.

« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2009, 12:48:53 AM »
Played through the first two stages of Marisa normal story real fast on traditional/traditional.
No sign of freezing, though.

It may very well be because of your upgraded OS, but before you go downgrading, I want you to try playing through a stage with the music set to OFF, if that's not too much to ask.  I'm just curious.

Tengukami

« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2009, 12:54:34 AM »
Played through the first two stages of Marisa normal story real fast on traditional/traditional.
No sign of freezing, though.

It may very well be because of your upgraded OS, but before you go downgrading, I want you to try playing through a stage with the music set to OFF, if that's not too much to ask.  I'm just curious.

Alright. Tried playing with the music off, tried playing in 16-bit, full screen and windowed - same story.

So, I'm downgrading my OS. For a Touhou English patch. Once I get it installed, I'll be posted that in the "You know you're addicted to Touhou when ..." thread. Seriously, you all did some really good work with this patch here, and installing a Linux OS takes like half an hour, so the trade off is totally worth it to me.

« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2009, 02:59:34 AM »
From the traditional/traditional crowd, 3 things to report.

First of all, thanks for the option. Really appreciated.

Second of all,

Third of all,

You missed a spot. Most glaring in the music room example, since that describes how to use it.
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

Tengukami

« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2009, 03:02:06 AM »
Downgraded from Mint 7 to Mint 6.2, and PoFV 1.5 with the newest English patch is running much, much better.

Also, Trouble Witches is running great again, too!

Thundercross

« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2009, 01:48:56 PM »
Is it too much to ask that the Japanese text in images be translated to English, and represented in about the same way as they originally were, font and everything?

For the Dead Parrot image, for instance, I want to see the Japanese text behind that translated.  But I get the sense that I'm just choosing between having the same untranslated text and having the whole thing changed to Loser.

If you can provide a translation of the Japanese text on otherwise understandable images, that's the best for me.  And if that becomes the meaning of Localized images, that's what I'm gonna pick.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 01:53:06 PM by Thundercross »

Falcon

« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2009, 02:22:27 PM »
Losing side:
"負け犬" + (subtext) "Dead Parrot"
"負け犬" = "makeinu", means "loser"

Winning side:
"人生の修理者" + (subtext) "Winner!"
"人生の修理者" = "jinsei no shuurisha", can be translated by "winner at life", the construct is literally "life's winner"

Leaving the numerals in Japanese is ridiculous. Why would that benefit anyone who needs an English patch? I think you are misunderstanding the complaints made about localization.

Also, the charging issue I had mentioned was experienced by someone else. They played with a friend using the patch, both of them using Lunasa and found themselves unable to charge after focusing. I was also using Lunasa and did not experience this with anyone else, so I assume that the problem is limited to only Lunasa.

7TC7

• In best company
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2009, 04:11:43 PM »
Also, the charging issue I had mentioned was experienced by someone else. They played with a friend using the patch, both of them using Lunasa and found themselves unable to charge after focusing. I was also using Lunasa and did not experience this with anyone else, so I assume that the problem is limited to only Lunasa.

Yeah, it happend to me too, as I played Lunasa VS someone I don't remember...
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Tengukami

« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »
Sure is getting pedantic in here.

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2009, 06:29:38 PM »
Hmm, yes, quite pedantic.

« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2009, 08:51:05 PM »
I feel the need to point out that the one on the losing side isn't quite dead, they're just restin'.

Tengukami

« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2009, 09:07:57 PM »
No. This, laddy, is an ex-parrot.

Great, now I need to watch that skit again. Ah well, nice to see another Python fan.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:09:58 PM by Amaterasu-ōmikami »

Thundercross

« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2009, 10:55:48 PM »
Well, thanks for clearing up the Winner and Dead Parrot texts, Falcon.

But there's a number of other graphics that Rufus removed the Japanese text from instead of translating.

Yes and No, even I know are hai (yes) and iie (no).

Looking through the Traditional Images version of the patch, images for:
Rematch
Change Character
Save Replay
Select Match Mode
Choose Level
Choose Girl.
Choose Stage
Ready?
Game Start!
Pause
Return to Game
Quit and Return to Title
Now Loading...
Game Set!
Do you challenge again? (with the continue counter under traditional)
the kanji for confirming your name in traditional
originally had Japanese text behind it, but in the Localized images version, the text was removed instead of translated.  If the Japanese text really adds nothing of value to the English version of it, I wouldn't mind it the way it is in the Localized version.  But I do consider Loser and Winner at Life to be worth adding to the Dead Parrot and Winner!

Also, you seem to have translated the Japanese text on the difficulty ratings, but removed the English from them (Easy Mode, Normal Mode, Hard Mode, Lunatic Mode, Extra Mode).  It's rather odd that Easy Mode is now known ONLY as Daruma grass.

My last gripe is the font that you now use for character titles and menu headers.  It looks... squishy.  I honestly don't know what to make of it, but I don't really think it fits this game, to be honest.

I realize I'm asking a lot, but since you cited the translation patch for Mother 3 (and a fine inspiration at that), I'd think that you'd go to any length to make this come out as professional as possible.  So how about this, since I'm putting a lot on you, I'm just gonna ask for a translation to all of these graphics.  And tomorrow morning, I'm gonna load up GIMP and see if I can make use of these translations and create something that properly suits the game.  Whatever format you need, I'll probably be able to deliver.

Emarrel

• Something of pokeballs
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2009, 01:20:29 AM »
Since "Winner at life" as the title and "Winner" as a subtitle would be pretty redundant, how about "Winner" as the title and "at life" as a subtitle?

I would have quite happily done the imaging editing; I'm sure I even offered early on in the old thread in the old forums. But I won't intrude, seeing as Thundercross has offered now.

Thundercross

« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2009, 03:50:46 AM »
Well, I'm not sure if I'm even up to this task.  So I don't mind if you take a shot at this too.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2009, 05:28:45 AM »
I am begging you PLEASE do not put "Winner at life" anywhere in this game. You might as well put "Epic fail" on the losing side. Even if that's what it means in Japanese, it just sounds ridiculous in English. If you're going to translate everything literally you should translate "makeinu" as "Losing dog" anyway.