Author Topic: Phantasmagoria of Flower View English Patch Release!  (Read 129096 times)

Gpop

Re: Phantasmagoria of Flower View English Patch Release!
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Ok I got it to work thanks to Rufus and Kojiro.

Everything is working fine for now, except that I think that "Dead Parrot" was fine instead of "Loser".

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
You need a native version of dpnet.dll in the dll path for wine instead of wine's version of it, otherwise 1.50a will simply crash for no good reason.

Alice, you are a genius. Googled and manually installed the dpnet.dll and now the updated PoFV and the English patch are running beautifully.

Rufus, thanks for all your hard work and your help.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Tengukami

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 09:55:44 PM »
Also: the font is really pretty:

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 09:58:36 PM »
Thank you.

I didn't design it, but I did make some modifications to it. (lowering the ~/tilde down to center it, and adding a music note)

It was originally called Lady Ice Bold.
Cirno's a fitting nickname for it, huh?

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 10:00:09 PM »
For reference, here are all of the things I mentioned which were changed, which I believe should have been left alone:

Because Dead Parrots will become an endangered species if something isn't done.

also...

What is the meaning of this. You wouldn't call Ran a familiar, you shouldn't call Komachi a Grim Reaper. The term is Shinigami, darn it!

EDIT: Oh goody, I've found another inappropriate substitution. This comes from Extra, so those not wishing for any sort of spoilers shouldn't highlight.

Spoiler:
spoiler image
You know what is wrong here. You've replaced the name of a place with something generic; as quoted from the wiki, the line is "Now, hurry and ferry those ghosts to Higan!".

Playing and indulging one's self in Touhou should be an experience with Japanese culture, and under no circumstance should this be watered down. I don't have the time to go through every single story again to see what lines of dialogue have been compromised in this manner, but you know where such substitutions have been made. Please, rectify this situation before the final release.

Moar edit:

Why are the character names faded? I can understand why the dashes aren't around them anymore, there wasn't any space... but faded/transparent? That just makes it sorta hard to read.

EDIT: One more beef with the above image: "the unnamed hill" is supposed to be simply "Nameless Hill". As seen at the wiki: http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Medicine_Melancholy
Now, the reason for this is as such: Nameless Hill isn't nameless. It was once, but it became "Nameless Hill" because the mothers of unwanted children would lay them there to die, before they had even been given a name.

...though I'm a little miffled that I can't seem to find the page on the wiki where I read that.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:27:59 PM by Prime 2.0 »
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

Falcon

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 10:09:07 PM »
I bring feedback.

Images have bad font. "\Vinner" especially came out bad.
And the problems with original english text being removed, primarily Dead Parrot. Menu options like the original "yes" have been completely left alone in some of the other patches, since it does already have english text.
Also, are the images translations or descriptions? I can't speak Japanese to verify this, but this page of the Inaba comic implies that the winner text isn't a generic "Winner!". "Winner at life!" would be nice to see with "Dead Parrot"
A suggestion for the font was that it looked too "high tech" for Touhou, fitting in better with a spaceship STG than touhou. Music room is too "bubbly".

And one bug, possibly unrelated to the patch, but I have never encountered it before. I was playing with a guy who desynchs. Once he begaan desynching, I was unable to use the charge shot. Holding down z did nothing. I have never had this happen before, even playing with the same guy, and it did not occur in any previous game.

And thanks for the patch.

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 10:10:51 PM »
OH GOD YES YES YEEEEES

Oh wait
No Dead Parrot? :( Fit it somewhere, please. Maybe instead of the "Loser."? The original version doesn't have loser written there, right?
Erm, actually... what do the Japanese things behind the "Winner!" and "Dead Parrot" say?
Well, whatever. PoFV ENGLISH PATCH HOORAY I AM SO HAPPY AND THAT FONT IS SO AWESOME OH GOD I LOVE YOU.

EDIT: oh wow I forgot the bisonyes.gif

Tengukami

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 10:44:28 PM »
Me, I'm just happy to finally be able to appreciate the game dialogue. That's what I wanted most of all, and I got it, so I'm satisfied.

If I were to nitpick, yeah, it'd be nice to see "dead parrot" but it's really not a deal-breaker for me. I even love the font.

Now maybe I can convince some friends to have online tournaments ...

Emarrel

• Something of pokeballs
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 10:46:52 PM »
Dialogue font is pretty damn nice; the others... eh, I'm not too sure, but I'm not going to repeat what's been said.

ZUN has been using one of the fonts the Peignot family for the chunkier English menu text in menu options lately. You can find the entire selection here: http://www.fontyukle.com/en/ara.php?ara=peignot

It's not the same font used the mode selection, but it's just as aesthetically pleasing and will also be consistent with the main menu.

Oh, I went through story mode once. No problems at all.

Obligatory bring back Dead Parrot.

Tengukami

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 11:00:14 PM »
Oh, one minor caveat - when I close the game, I get this huge dialogue box. All I need to do is hit Enter and it closes, so it's really no biggy, but I'm curious to know what it's all about.

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 11:19:58 PM »
Looks like a copy of your log.txt
Errors are usually printed out to the log.txt file.

Hmm...  That's happened to me only once before, when I closed the game too, but it said something about a missing MIDI, so I kind of ignored it, since PoFV doesn't even have a full set of MIDIs.

If you can still run PoFV and your score and settings are all fine, I probably wouldn't worry about it too much.

Tengukami

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 11:23:43 PM »
I'm actually not worried at all, as it doesn't effect gameplay - it comes up after I quit - and closes with the push of one key. I was more curious than anything. Thanks for the info.

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 11:25:24 PM »
I'm joining the Dead Parrot wagon. I honestly don't see the reason behind the change.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 11:42:59 PM »
Not bad. I don't care much for PoFV, but now I'll finally be able to read the endings! Even if the game isn't my style, ZUN's dialogue always makes me smile.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
  • For :files:
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 11:46:18 PM »
im with that Prime 2.0 sead but besides that i love this patch XD

Gambit

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 11:56:14 PM »
Aside from the obvious lack of Dead Parrot, the patch is great. I haven?t had this much fun playing PoFV in a while. 

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2009, 12:04:27 AM »
Wait a sec. I suspected that there was something felt a little different when I was play-testing the patch, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now I know why.

I'd like to see the dead parrots back too.

Orange

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2009, 12:51:19 AM »
While it'd be nice to have the "Dead Parrot" thing back, I don't see it as a very big deal. I like the patch, it's really nice seeing all of the dialogue in English. ^_^

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2009, 01:10:42 AM »
I haven't even played it, but I agree that changing the images that already had full English text was unnecessary, and localizing the location/species names was excessive.

But hey, it's still beta, and the main lure (dialog) is translated, so hooray!

Still, looking forward to future updates.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
  • For :files:
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 01:46:43 AM »
the menus are just textures (i think) so if you RILLY cared someone can make a 2nd patch but idk

love this game sofar XD
that taping Z can me kinda anoying sometimes tho Xp

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 02:28:14 AM »
One serious bug and one suggestion:

I cleared Normal story mode with Mystia, and the game promptly crashed on me. I'm not entirely sure why.
EDIT: Also, alt-tabbing out during Medicine and Yuuka's pre-fight dialog in story mode seems to have erased the fight background (reddish rather than sunflower field). I'm not sure if that's just due to it scrolling off while I had the game minimized or a drawing error or if it's from PoFV itself rather than the patch, but eh.
I AM IMPATIENT

While probably excessive, a candidate for extra translations might be the 'subtitles' of the ending credits, in parentheses below peoples' names.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:01:45 AM by E-mouse »
There was something here once. Wonder what...

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2009, 02:45:36 AM »
love this game sofar XD
that taping Z can me kinda anoying sometimes tho Xp

Ah yes the tapping. I can do about 2 story lines and then my finger starts to hurt. :{

Herasy

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 03:35:04 AM »
Baha I woke up with the words "POFV patch is released" running through my head then I see this.

Yukari is telling me stuff in my mind  :-X

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2009, 04:29:15 AM »
Komachi is holding a big ol' scythe, deals with dead souls, and you WOULDN'T call her a grim reaper?

I kind of agree with the calling it "Higan" and not "Styx" although it doesn't really matter.

Is there anyway to you can remove the black bars in the dialog boxes in a later patch? They look a little out of place.

Herasy

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2009, 04:53:28 AM »
I completed Cirno's story (I wasn't expecting such a deep ending) So far I have found no flaws other than what people have already said.

Great job guys, thanks for the wonderful patch.

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2009, 05:41:00 AM »
Komachi is holding a big ol' scythe, deals with dead souls, and you WOULDN'T call her a grim reaper?
Because the correct term is "shinigami."

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2009, 05:52:42 AM »
The endings are great so far.

But yeah, I was traumatized to see "loser" instead of "dead parrot," since it was one of the best parts of the game for me. And yeah, renaming Higan to "the other side" and shinigamis to grim reapers is all well and good for localization, but Touhou is not meant to be localized.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2009, 07:06:48 AM »
Works perfectly for me.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2009, 07:23:41 AM »
Not sure what the fuss is about here. I've always had trouble with the pause menu for example. The English text there has always been way too hard to read. It's too small (especially in window mode), in a bad font and faded/transparent for whatever reason.

So, I, for one, welcome our readable menu option overlords! Finally someone changed them.

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2009, 08:52:06 AM »
these patches are coming in thick and fast :D
great work as usual guys. works fine :)