Author Topic: Touhou: Mad Tengu ~ Hellic Memories (Beta Version 1 now available!!!)  (Read 8060 times)

SilentYukiro

• Silent Soul of the Electronic Skies
  • Clearly a Satori lover :3

BETA VERSION 1 RELEASED!!!!

Please check the latest post for details.

Been practicing Danmakufu (0.12m) since mid-November this year and barely making progress in achieving knowledge. I decided to create a Touhou fangame of my own, even though not as good as a whole bunch here in the forums but just to show my support here, to the game and to the community and maybe show what I can do (no matter how crappy my progress is).

And oh, special thanks to Helepolis for creating those video tutorials on 0.12m, it gave me a big push in pursuing to create this game.

Here's the reason why I want to create my own fangame:
In one of my major subjects (Software Engineering) in my IT course, we're assigned or given us a project for the whole semester to create a game (yes, a game). kinda much like a mini-thesis. When I heard  "create a game", Touhou instantly popped in my mind. So I decided to create my own.

Well, with that being said, I already have plans for my game while I'm practicing and learning danmakufu:

I based my game's plot on Judo Fuu's Touhou: Mad Tengu in Danbooru. It's a really good manga, been reading it for a few months. Now that the last chapter is uploaded and being translated in Danbooru, I might fully finish the plot :) .

Well basically, the story is about our beloved Tengu Reporter Shameimaru Aya, trying to get a good scoop as always. Then when she had a glimpse of a Reisen Udonge Inaba chasing Tewi (due to her antics). But due to Udonge having enough, somehow couldn't control her ability (ability to control madness) and accidentally released it in a huge surge that can blow away the sanity of any youkai. Unfortunately, Aya was in the vicinity and was inside the blast radius, fortunately Tewi dug a burrow to escape it.

And so.....the very incident  begins.

So far, my very plan is just to create 2 difficulties (Normal and Hard due to the time constraints). I'm planning to add an Extra Stage if there's sufficient time left for me to add it.

Details: (don't read this if you don't want to see spoilers)
Spoiler:
Difficulty: Normal, Hard (planning an Extra Stage)
Playable Characters: Reimu, Marisa, Alice, Sakuya

Stages: 6 with Extra Stage

I: Patchouli; Boss: Remilia
II:  Boss: Byakuren
III: Sanae; Boss: Kanako
IV: Boss: Utsuho; Helper: Rin (Hard Mode)
V: Youmu; Boss: Yuyuko
VI: Boss: Yukari; Shikigami: Ran, Chen (Hard Mode)

Somehow, I want to use the original spellcards of the bosses (maybe I can add a spellcard of my own for every boss, maybe).My current progress is that I somehow started creating Stage 5
Spoiler:
(Yuyuko
). Gee, what a dumb idea.

Well, my priority right now is to finish the stages (both in normal and hard) each with different backgrounds (kind of like in the Official Games with almost same effects).

Medium Priority:  :wat:
Creating a Main Menu, Difficulty Selection, Player Selection, A Score Room
The Extra Stage

Made a sample look of how I want the Main Menu will look like:

(just click on the image, it's there, tested it myself)

Credits to Judo for an awesome version of Aya.

Low Priority:
Music Room, Replay Section, Player Data.

Unfortunately, I'm a one-man army, due to time limitations (this will be passed on March) and I got other projects in my majors (E-Commerce) and I might not finish this alone. I decided to be a solo team due to almost of my classmates.....are really not reliable, almost DEAD WEIGHT to my progress if I decided not to be a solo team. And they are not into STGs, like Touhou for instance.

Even though it's kind of embarrassing to say this and I almost had no choice, I really need your help. If anyone who could voluntarily help me, if you're kind enough to help me, it will be really mean so much.   :blush:

And oh, any feedback or criticism on my plans for the game will be openly accepted.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:11:05 PM by SilentYukiro »
"UNYUUU?"

Music is the essence of my soul.
Planned Fan-game: Touhou: Mad Tengu ~ Hellic Memories

Spectral Nexus

• Idealistic Aspirer and Unacheiver
  • Hella trippy.
Re: Touhou: Mad Tengu ~ Hellic Memories (A Fan-Game Project)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 01:46:24 PM »
Hello!
I will definitely be willing to help you, although I may not be the best at "helping"
Spoiler:
Be warned!: I'm still a noob!
I can make some music (not really good at remixing or remastering, but I can create original songs),
I can make a few STG Frames (I make loads of them for fun).
I can give you some feedback on some points of the game.
Finally, once your finished with your project, I could beta-test it for you.
Hopefully that's good enough!
COMPOSING FOR: Magical Moon Story / Mystic Memory Drive (Full Game)
- Old Chateau Story (Stage 3 and Title Themes)
- Ephemeral Unnatural Balance (Stage 2 & Stage 5 Themes)
- Illusionary Visual Twilight (Full Game)
- Hopefully a few of my own future fangames! :-D

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »
I can't view the image for the photobucket link. It states that the image has been deleted/moved.

Also...do make sure that you have all of your directories planned out before you begin coding. Don't dump all of the attacks into the same folder as the sound effects, music, images, etc, or you will never be able to find anything.

And I suggest using functions or subroutines for stages so that you can link them more efficiently.

If you need assistance with 0.12m full game structuring, there are a few people here that should be able to help out. ^_^

Lunarethic

• Local Trashy Edgelord
  • I can cut people with all this edge
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »
You know I hear about making danmakufu fan game as a fun project but seriously a game for school?! Man your lucky to do that on a whole semester ,I wish I had something like that in the course I'll be taking (engineering , yeah in my dreams xD)

Though if your looking for help I can Photoshop those menu text, difficulty text , enemy text or game Title Text or make a sillouethe touhou-style (sillouethe with trippy images inside) so that all, you need to do is code them

And as I love games I'd like to volunteer to test the game  :D

Though good luck with your project  :D

Gimee a call if you want help coding a spell (that is if you want a really f**king hard spell  ;) believe me I can stir you up frustration soda in a jippy XD)
いつもニコニコあなたの隣に這いよる!生放送!は好き。月です~す。略してニコニャル
Learned how to use a custom shotsheet : 12/28/13 *clapclapclap*
東方謎佚光 ~ Dimensional Light Abscence Work In Progress Touhou Fangame

SilentYukiro

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 01:26:37 AM »
Wow, thanks guys :D

I'll try to do my best in my progress!
Bad news is that I might not get into it until January 2nd, can't use my laptop due to some family member issues (yeah my father won't let me use the laptop when he's here -.-). I'LL BE IN HELL FOR ABOUT WEEKS! _ _||||

@Nexus:
Thanks for the help, I'm planning on making a STG  frame for the game but somehow I'm not a good designer (note that my signature pic is just luck editing that I did).

@Sparen:
Already ahead of it, I'd rather do multithreading and tasking than using the MainLoop, just to keep things organized.
When I get to the laptop again, I'll try to post the image again. I kind of put it in my private folder in Photobucket (yeah really genius of me).

@Lunarethic:
Yeah, even my instructor says that I should pursue it xD.

I can discuss to you guys my full plan but, as you can see....I'll be in Hell for more than a week, and expect to be judged by Eiki-sama while being there xDDD

Bottom line is, asking to the community was a good choice for me ^^, I'll try my best :D

Edit:
Since he's not here for a while today, might as well post the pic.

I'll have to admit,  Judo's version of Aya is EPIC in the manga (spoiler alert)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:30:50 AM by SilentYukiro »
"UNYUUU?"

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 01:32:07 AM »
I'll happily help test out patterns and stuff-I've been doing this with Ozzy's stuff and have found a decent amount of unintended behaviors/cheese strategies that'd trivialize the pattern.  Can't help with graphics, music or anything like that, and the coding should probably be left to you, but testing is what I do best anyway.  (That and coding, but since this is for school that part should be on you :P )

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 12:42:11 AM »
Ditto, you can count on me for testing when I have the time. Also, I can contribute my custom concentration effects and can help with graphic design via photoshop. When I get back to my computer i can give you a demonstration of what my concentration effects look like. It isnt really necessary but its something that I can contribute. I can also contribute a shotsheet all ready to use.

SilentYukiro

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 12:11:36 AM »
Ditto, you can count on me for testing when I have the time. Also, I can contribute my custom concentration effects and can help with graphic design via photoshop. When I get back to my computer i can give you a demonstration of what my concentration effects look like. It isnt really necessary but its something that I can contribute. I can also contribute a shotsheet all ready to use.

Sure, the effects might boost the quality look of the bosses, or maybe the game itself  :D Thanks again for helping out.
"UNYUUU?"

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 03:55:04 AM »
I may also be able to help out in testing too, although almost everyone on this forum can, save for the few secondary fans that don't play the games.
If you need help in it too, I can help with the dialogues before bosses and midbosses.
But besides that, I can help with the coding part too. All you have to do is show me the code and tell me its supposed functions.
Sorry I'm not able to help out in any other aspects of the game as I'm quite busy to master the arts of drawing or composing music. But I'm going to be cheering you on on the sidelines. Also remember to have fun with the development. I have suffered the consequence of just wanting to get a script out to the public and loss creativity in the process. I wish you luck.
Currently a normal player

SilentYukiro

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 10:14:19 AM »
I may also be able to help out in testing too, although almost everyone on this forum can, save for the few secondary fans that don't play the games.
If you need help in it too, I can help with the dialogues before bosses and midbosses.
But besides that, I can help with the coding part too. All you have to do is show me the code and tell me its supposed functions.
Sorry I'm not able to help out in any other aspects of the game as I'm quite busy to master the arts of drawing or composing music. But I'm going to be cheering you on on the sidelines. Also remember to have fun with the development. I have suffered the consequence of just wanting to get a script out to the public and loss creativity in the process. I wish you luck.

Sure, I'm still creating the script templates so that I might use them for every boss, you know for the uniformity of the script frame structure for every boss. Well mostly what I intend to do is use some of the original spell cards of the characters (what a pain it is) and maybe add 1 or two personal spell cards (total: 4 non-spells and 4 spell cards for each boss or maybe mid boss if present).

Thanks for the cheer up ^^ I hope I'll finish this early and do some intensive trial and error. And thanks for the advice, I have suffered that too when I was practicing just to create a decent spell card before -.- oh the frustration that it gave me.
"UNYUUU?"

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »
are you still working on this? if you are, then what programming language are you using?

i may be able to help you code the game

SilentYukiro

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 10:21:31 PM »
yeah, still working on it. i'll release it 2 weeks before the defense of my game.

using dmf 0.12m, sure ^^
"UNYUUU?"

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 07:51:17 PM »
oh I thought you were using a more general programming software

sorry i can't help you then  :V I don't really know anything about dmf

SilentYukiro

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 10:09:20 PM »
its okay, thanks anyway for the support ^ ^
"UNYUUU?"

SilentYukiro

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 12:04:18 PM »
Update:

beta version is now released:

Download Link

Contains:
The th_dnh folder with the Mad Tengu Folder inside the script folder so that it's easier for you to play the game.

Any constructive criticism will be accepted, I hope I could find more ways to improve the normal mode. Please bear the
Spoiler:
suckish
spell patterns I made for Yuyuko, those are my first tries....even though my practice scripts are also with the .zip file xDDD.

Edit: I've received some comments from my friend,Lunarethic, that there's a problem with the stage frame, invincibility can still be toggled, and Kanako's portraits have transparency issues.

I'll fix it as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:09:50 PM by SilentYukiro »
"UNYUUU?"

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
Re: Touhou: Mad Tengu ~ Hellic Memories (Beta Version 1 now available!!!)
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 08:24:20 PM »
The game was fine, especially for a Danmakufu novice, but there's definitely an overreliance on recreating ZUN's original patterns. Some bosses, like Kanako, had nothing original about them, other than a slightly dumbed down difficulty. Yuyuko, for all her "noobish" patterns, was probably the most interesting fight of them all, though I DID like what you did with Utsuho's patterns with your adding new spins to some of them. Don't be afraid to experiment more or you won't be able to improve. Since you're pretty decent at recreating ZUN's attacks, why not use them as a starting point and start fooling around and see what you can change about them to make them interesting.

As for bugs, I noticed the STG frame flashing after a while, though I don't know what can be done about that, Danmakufu 0.12m is rather buggy about it sometimes. More than just Kanako's portrait had transparency issues. You are aware that 0.12m treats (0,0,0) (pure black) in images as transparent, right?

One more thing, while you make decent use of the default bullets, I highly recommend switching to a shotsheet, particularly the expanded ZUN shotdata if you're going for a Touhou feel. The default bullets are not nice to look at and shotsheets are not hard to use, though they may be annoying to implement now that you've already made a lot of attacks.

P.S. I'm sorry I haven't responded to your messages, but things have been happening and so I haven't really found the time to help. You seem to be doing fine without me, though. In the future if I have more time I may be able to lend my effects, but making them into a form 0.12m can use is going to be time consuming.

SilentYukiro

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 09:24:45 PM »
an overreliance on recreating ZUN's original patterns
Well, uummm...I did mentioned that I planned to use or recreate ZUNs patterns for the bosses. Well, yeah....that was my initial plan :derp:
And my friend, Lunarethic, helped me on Kanako's stage (about....95% of it and Spectal Nexus did help for the Onbashira, so I would like to acknowledge them for the huge help).

Yuyuko, for all her "noobish" patterns, was probably the most interesting fight of them all, though I DID like what you did with Utsuho's patterns with your adding new spins to some of them.
Well, that's good news :3 .....took me llike almost 2 months just to finish the 1st 4 non-spells and spell attacks of Yuyuko.  :blush:

0.12m treats (0,0,0) (pure black) in images as transparent, right?
Yeah, I am aware of that, it's a bit irritating sometimes. Those were the only decent portraits of Kanako that I could find at the moment.

I highly recommend switching to a shotsheet, particularly the expanded ZUN shotdata if you're going for a Touhou feel.
Sure, but I did use Hele's custom shotsheet for everything. Took me a while on getting used to it.

P.S. I'm sorry I haven't responded to your messages, but things have been happening and so I haven't really found the time to help. You seem to be doing fine without me, though. In the future if I have more time I may be able to lend my effects, but making them into a form 0.12m can use is going to be time consuming.
It's fine...It's fine ^ ^;
I know that some people here are even busier than me, I can understand that.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:35:15 PM by SilentYukiro »
"UNYUUU?"

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 04:23:15 AM »
Yeah, I found Remilia and Yuyuko to be the most fun fights in the script. They were pretty well balanced too.

There are some patterns that still uses original bullet graphics. I don't know about you, but I don't think they look any good.

Isn't Utsuho's suns supposed to be add-rendered? They look abit strange, especially at her final spell where it's quite difficult to tell the size of the hitbox

I think Byakuren should have some sort of warning before her nonspell jump since it's abit fast.

Maybe add traces to some of Utsuho's patterns. Or maybe I just react way too slow, I dunno.

Most of the portraits suffer from transparency spots, which should be fixed by going (0, 0, 0) -> (1, 1, 1), or some other similair color.

SilentYukiro

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 04:36:16 AM »
Yeah, I found Remilia and Yuyuko to be the most fun fights in the script. They were pretty well balanced too.
:)

There are some patterns that still uses original bullet graphics. I don't know about you, but I don't think they look any good.
Yeah, I just noticed that Yuyuko's 2nd non-spell uses the default graphic. I was on a rush on creating that non-spell and I 'accidentally' used the default bullets. _ _||||

Isn't Utsuho's suns supposed to be add-rendered? They look abit strange, especially at her final spell where it's quite difficult to tell the size of the hitbox.
Hmm, they seem to look fine to me. If I can remember, Hele said that the main hitbox there is the main white part. The sun fireballs are not add-rendered, I just used the ObjEffect_SetVertexColor to have the almost identical look of the original fireballs.

I think Byakuren should have some sort of warning before her nonspell jump since it's abit fast..
If you're talking about Byakuren's non-spell that trails toward the player, yeah....I know it's too fast. I kind of forgot to slow her down a bit. I think having a warning will spoil the surprise, IMHO.

Most of the portraits suffer from transparency spots, which should be fixed by going (0, 0, 0) -> (1, 1, 1), or some other similair color.
I might edit Kanako's portrait when I have the time, still have a lot of projects to finish.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:47:59 AM by SilentYukiro »
"UNYUUU?"