Author Topic: GOD DAMNIT CHAORE Mafia (A.k.a. Mafia RPG!) - GAME OVER, SCUM WIN.  (Read 54636 times)

reVelske

• Epitome of Justice
  • I've got better things to do tonight than die.
Re: GOD DAMNIT CHAORE Mafia (A.k.a. Mafia RPG!) - GAME OVER, SCUM WIN.
« Reply #510 on: February 22, 2011, 03:03:57 AM »
Gut feeling? That's what I did. Look at where it landed me. DEAD.

But that's just you :V

Sorry to butt in as a lurker here, but I've been wanting to say this all game.  reV, kindly shut up about refusing to lie in Mafia.  It's not something to be proud of.  Mafia is a game of deception, and every time you roll scum or some power role that serves the town best by keeping itself concealed, you're playing against your faction by holding your truthfulness over your victory condition.  As far as I'm concerned, refusing to lie makes you no better than some chucklefuck that joins the game just to troll.  At least Kips has plausible deniability.

It IS something to be proud of, to play a game using what tools there are available aside from the most powerful one. Beside, deception does not necessarily require you to provide others with false information. You really are exaggerating on the need of deception.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #511 on: February 22, 2011, 03:04:44 AM »
huh what. If you NEVER NEVER EVER came back, we would have won. God dammit huh what

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #512 on: February 22, 2011, 03:07:13 AM »
huh what. If you NEVER NEVER EVER came back, we would have won. God dammit huh what

You would have lost terribly. I'll be blunt about it.

On vote thief: Control the spice, control the world. I probably nerfed it a bit too much in fear, but it would've been unholy if you had it all the time.

Kitten4u

• Ochophobic
  • Too cute to kill
« Reply #513 on: February 22, 2011, 03:08:43 AM »
@Chaore: I agree, it was too strong for LYLO, but I think it was too weak for this town. It would have been nice to have a roleblock or something. :P
My favorite mythical creature? The honest politician.
A life cool.. where can I download one of those?
Hurray for apathy!

DA|Tumblr

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
« Reply #514 on: February 22, 2011, 03:08:59 AM »
reV you're free to play mafia without ever telling a lie, but nobody else in the universe does that, and nobody is going to trust you 100%, ever. Mafia is not a game where everybody tells the truth. Please don't meltdown because people don't treat you different than they would any other player. If you can't handle being called a liar in a game where it is expected that people will lie, you probably should find a different game to play.

that said lmfao nice job town way to blow it in lylo again (yes I realize I'm not one to talk)

« Reply #515 on: February 22, 2011, 03:09:07 AM »
Quoting from the deadthread.
Quote from: Zakeri
My role was One-shot sane cop, with the stipulation that any other person who investigated the same person I did would get the opposite result that I did.

I wanted to use my investigation on reV since I though he was the scummiest. This was back on the beginning of day 2. I made my first post, and held off voting until I could get the results from my investigation.

Then suddenly, Bardiche posted continuing head strong with the "Zakeri, why do you have a different opinion of who is scum than I and Kitten do?" Case, and completely ignored the fact that we had solid flips to analyze. So naturally, I changed it at the last minute and investigated him. And I got town result.

Then I make a response to him with the knowledge he was town, and I made a reread of the entire game, and organized my scumlist ... and then Bard hammered before I could say anything. And then he died in the middle of the night.

So here I was, without a god damn vote, with barely a clue or a lead, with no chance to post anything about my real conclusions until day three, with a single cop result, on a person who died before I could reveal I was a one-shot cop, with another, completely different cop already dead.

I ended up cursing Bard's name more than Chaore's.
Additionally, Huh what, your logic for persuing me on day 4 makes no sense. Why would I, as scum, suddenly turn on someone who was bulletproof and/or investigation proof when I had the only confirmed townie making the strongest case on me. if Anything, I'd have had Schezo going directly for my own throat, rather than letting him keep pushing the SK/Vig wagon.

Also, I'm surprised K4u had a modest reason for NKing Pesco. I could have sworn it was because he stated his intention to Policy lynch her in a lylo situation, and therefore decided Huhwhat the confirmed town was the less of two votes (which he totally was).

Also, 17 cuts. I dare you to beat that.

« Reply #516 on: February 22, 2011, 03:10:48 AM »
Okay, I'll go back in time and make myself a vanilla townie. Enjoy your D3 LYLO and inability to get Schezo lynched due to a lack of paranoia about you being a SK :V

Zak: I didn't take Godfather being bulletproof into account. :s I suppose you have a point, so apologies for the tunneling I guess

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #517 on: February 22, 2011, 03:11:51 AM »
It IS something to be proud of, to play a game using what tools there are available aside from the most powerful one. Beside, deception does not necessarily require you to provide others with false information. You really are exaggerating on the need of deception.

Handicapping yourself in a solo game can be pretty cool when you win.  If you rolled SK and managed to win without telling a single falsehood, I'd applaud your resourcefulness.  But when you handicap your whole faction with your refusal to lie, without the consent of that faction, you're just ruining their fun.

Sure, sometimes there's no need to lie, like if you're a vanilla townie, or one with a role that lends itself well to LyLo claiming.  But what if you're, say, a bomb?  Being evasive with your roleclaim will just make everyone suspicious, and actually claiming bomb reduces the possibility that scum will blow themselves up on you.  The smart thing to do there is to lie about your role.  To do otherwise isn't something to be proud of, it's just dumb play.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

Kitten4u

• Ochophobic
  • Too cute to kill
« Reply #518 on: February 22, 2011, 03:14:14 AM »
Quote from: Zak
Also, I'm surprised K4u had a modest reason for NKing Pesco. I could have sworn it was because he stated his intention to Policy lynch her in a lylo situation, and therefore decided Huhwhat the confirmed town was the less of two votes (which he totally was).
I was actually afraid that people would call me out on that despite it not actually being part of my decision. :V
My favorite mythical creature? The honest politician.
A life cool.. where can I download one of those?
Hurray for apathy!

DA|Tumblr

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #519 on: February 22, 2011, 03:14:20 AM »
>Slurpentarius

But... I just... it's so... @_@

* Serela slurps Serpentarius

<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Serp

« Reply #520 on: February 22, 2011, 03:15:42 AM »
>Slurpentarius

But... I just... it's so... @_@

* Serela slurps Serpentarius

I can't help it if I'm delicious.

Also, because I don't feel like making a post without any rage in it at the moment, I should also say that playing in such a way as to purposefully establish a meta for yourself is extremely unethical.

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #521 on: February 22, 2011, 03:17:45 AM »
How so? ???

reVelske

• Epitome of Justice
« Reply #522 on: February 22, 2011, 03:19:46 AM »
@Vibri:

As mentioned, it's not so much because I was called a liar, but it was mostly because of the situation we were in. As mentioned before, I have actually never been town lynch before, out of...7-8 games I've played so far, and to end the streak on such a terrible note is quite unpleasant, to say the least.

Handicapping yourself in a solo game can be pretty cool when you win.  If you rolled SK and managed to win without telling a single falsehood, I'd applaud your resourcefulness.  But when you handicap your whole faction with your refusal to lie, without the consent of that faction, you're just ruining their fun.

You do not necessarily handicap your faction by refusing to lie, there is always a way. Say in the situation of a bomb, I could speak of my role's potency to excuse my unwillingness to roleclaim, hell, I could tone myself to sound rather derpy and noobish.

And isn't it ironic that you call it unethical to play a game with self-established ethics?

Doll.S CUBE

• ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #523 on: February 22, 2011, 03:29:11 AM »
Hey wait a second, isn't it a towns job to be as truthful as possible? Because if they lie and is caught out on it, they'll just seem scummy and thus would hinder town chance by making them think they're mafia instead of trying to find the actual scum.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #524 on: February 22, 2011, 03:30:12 AM »
Town usually has no reason to lie. Thinking back, fuck. I should have lied about the flavor.

Serp

« Reply #525 on: February 22, 2011, 03:30:29 AM »
You do not necessarily handicap your faction by refusing to lie, there is always a way. Say in the situation of a bomb, I could speak of my role's potency to excuse my unwillingness to roleclaim, hell, I could tone myself to sound rather derpy and noobish.

And that will be less effective than simply claiming vanilla, at least in some circumstances.

Quote from: Doll
How so?

It's metagaming.  Sacrificing the game you're playing just to give yourself better odds in future games.  You should play the game you're playing, not try to obtain the best win/loss ratio you can by sacrificing your performance in the current game.  Handicapping yourself as scum so people will be more confident in your towniness when you're town is just kind of low.

Doll.S CUBE

• ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #526 on: February 22, 2011, 03:35:19 AM »
Ah, that's what you mean. Yeah I understand that but I don't think that's what Rev is going for....

Serp

« Reply #527 on: February 22, 2011, 03:36:20 AM »
Ah, that's what you mean. Yeah I understand that but I don't think that's what Rev is going for....

Not intentionally.  I'm not questioning his motives here.  But that's what its effects amount to.

reVelske

• Epitome of Justice
« Reply #528 on: February 22, 2011, 03:42:28 AM »
And that will be less effective than simply claiming vanilla, at least in some circumstances.

So everyone must play the most effective way possible rather than the way they want? The way their personalities want them to play? Hell, let's all play the Affinity/Kitten method, infrequent but constructive post, fuck yeah everyone wins.

Sacrificing the game you're playing just to give yourself better odds in future games. You should play the game you're playing, not try to obtain the best win/loss ratio you can by sacrificing your performance in the current game.  Handicapping yourself as scum so people will be more confident in your towniness when you're town is just kind of low.

That is not my goal, I do play the game I'm playing, but you are free to assume whatever you want. There is absolutely no game-sacrificing especially since my principles are not going to change. What I want to establish is my playstyle, when emotion and meta are things I use extensively, it's imperative I start getting people to understand me and try understand other players and their style. Unfortunately, I'm still relatively new to the forum and do not partake on most of the forum activities, so it's been incredibly difficult for me to settle down in this particular Mafia community, but clearly I've been working on it.

And as a scum, I play how I would usually play as a town, that, to me, is the most effective way to play a scum, there is no real handicapping involved.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
Re: GOD DAMNIT CHAORE Mafia (A.k.a. Mafia RPG!) - DAY FINAL
« Reply #529 on: February 22, 2011, 03:45:52 AM »
Just to be clear, I aimed for Kitten last night. About... 2 hours ago, I switched to Zak  :ohdear:
Had Zak not died I would have gunned for him today and probably lost us the game. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Just wanted to point out this little exchange, because it's hilarious in hindsight.  :V

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

« Reply #530 on: February 22, 2011, 03:47:28 AM »
:s

What can I say, I thought Zak was scum. Had I realized that godfathers are usually bulletproof things might have been different, but eh.

Conqueror

« Reply #531 on: February 22, 2011, 03:52:22 AM »
Hey, I thought Zak was scum too up to a point. Just pointing out that PX miraculously winning the game for town would have been mind-blowing, given how badly we played as a whole.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.

Serp

« Reply #532 on: February 22, 2011, 03:52:29 AM »
Look, reV, you don't have to lie if you don't want to, but when you vocally claim that you never lie even when it's necessary for your faction's victory condition, and you attempt to use that as a trump card to prove your role, as you tried to do in this game, people are going to accuse you of sabotaging yourself for the sake of meta.  It's just bad sportsmanship.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #533 on: February 22, 2011, 03:56:25 AM »
Look, reV, you don't have to lie if you don't want to, but when you vocally claim that you never lie even when it's necessary for your faction's victory condition, and you attempt to use that as a trump card to prove your role, as you tried to do in this game, people are going to accuse you of sabotaging yourself for the sake of meta.  It's just bad sportsmanship.
This.

Let me go onto say that, as he said, you dont have to lie if you dont want to. Say someone told me I could get a hundred thousand dollars, but I didnt have to if I didnt want to. What would you do, not take it?

Next time when you lose, Dont cry about it. It's a game. However its played, dont complain at the end about it. It'll give you as bad a rep as me. Hell I'm lucky I wasnt banned here the second the game ended because of my shitty performance.

tl;dr Stop crying and go home and be a family man

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #534 on: February 22, 2011, 03:57:51 AM »
You're not banned YET since Pesco hasn't been on since... I sent that second N3 action.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #535 on: February 22, 2011, 04:19:31 AM »
So I've read the mod and graveyard quick topics.

I did not think that Mafia would fill me with such pure rage and absolute HATRED when I am not participating.

I will not comment on anyone else for this. But Kips should not be allowed near Mafia again ever. In fact I would support more extreme measures than that.

He is an idiot of the highest caliber through the entire game. He then reveals that he ALSO was deliberately being a jerk and screwing things up for town.

The former alone is rage-inducing, but the latter is simply disgusting and cannot go without comment.

I am not going to go into any more detail about how I feel about him or others right now because to be honest I'm just so filled with rage. Yes I know Mafia is a game, yes I know I wasn't even IN the game. Doesn't change it.

reVelske

• Epitome of Justice
« Reply #536 on: February 22, 2011, 04:25:59 AM »

I'm not trying to rub my principle in people's face if that's what it's coming across as, I'm merely defending my principle and explaining why the hell am I raging so hard about this, and I understand perfectly that people don't have to be playing "my" game, but the frustration does really set in after a while.

Let me go onto say that, as he said, you dont have to lie if you dont want to. Say someone told me I could get a hundred thousand dollars, but I didnt have to if I didnt want to. What would you do, not take it?

What? The fuck? Of course I wouldn't take it if I have a firm principle against it, no idea what you are trying to get at.

Next time when you lose, Dont cry about it. It's a game. However its played, dont complain at the end about it. It'll give you as bad a rep as me. Hell I'm lucky I wasnt banned here the second the game ended because of my shitty performance.

tl;dr Stop crying and go home and be a family man

Don't mix me with you, whereas you de-repped yourself for playing like a complete moron, I simply tried to play with a little principle. I've explained how my rage was simply due to me losing my streak on a terrible point and and the accusation that goes completely against the principle I play with, it's not embitterment towards the game itself, don't see me bitching about last two games.

---

Leaving that aside, it also does gnaws me quite badly how by simply coming up with a complicated and unique role was enough to win the trust of your fellow town and the approval of fellow players (despite how I pointed out that stealing an emptied gun when you are a rolestealer makes no sense).

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #537 on: February 22, 2011, 04:33:20 AM »
Hey reV, whenever you feel like kicking my ass on DotS, get on now.

reVelske

• Epitome of Justice
« Reply #538 on: February 22, 2011, 04:34:18 AM »
It's 6:35AM for me, heading to work in an hour and half's time. Can't believe I got up at 3AM for this shit, what a great way to start the day, huh?

Conqueror

« Reply #539 on: February 22, 2011, 04:38:10 AM »
Eh, I guess Chaore isn't going to make an end-game post?