Author Topic: Touhou Kart!  (Read 82479 times)

Hoeloe

• Chasing fading vapour trails...
Re: Touhou Kart!
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2014, 09:23:54 AM »
Hold on a second... where's this?

Touhou Kart? Touhou Kart.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2014, 09:42:58 AM »
Looks like Youkai mountain to me.

Kimidori

• Undefined Fantastic Girl, Nue
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2014, 12:54:27 PM »
Misty Lake?

"No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement." -Logan M

Hoeloe

« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2014, 02:30:15 PM »
You are both somewhat correct! The Misty Lake has a good view of Youkai Mountain I hear...

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2014, 03:55:32 PM »
I thought I'd forward this opinion from Reddit.

Quote from: CyberDagger link=url=http://www.reddit.com/r/touhou/comments/1xdqld/nonjapanese_fan_work/cfav4y1
And here I was just the other day wondering why there wasn't a Touhou version of Mario Kart.

I like what I see so far. The driving mechanics seem to be working well.

The scenery is bland and the karts are generic, but that is to be excetted at a stage this early in development. If I had any 3D skills, I'd contact the developer offering my services as an artist. I really want to see that happen.

As for character specific karts, Marisa would have her broom, of course, Nitori would have some weird contraption, Cirno could have an ice car, Reimu coulld have a donation box on wheels, or, taking us back to the old PC-98 days, Genji.

And a Bowser's Castle like track on the Scarlet Devil Mansion is pretty much mandatory.

Hoeloe

« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2014, 05:49:33 PM »
I thought I'd forward this opinion from Reddit.

Thanks for that, I'm not really a Redditer, so I hadn't seen this. I'll respond to some of the concerns here.

Scenery and karts are mostly because I don't have a team. I'm doing all the level design myself, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best modeller. Having said that, I am also somewhat restricted by what Unity offers to free developers. There are also certain restrictions on the track layouts, so those have to stay, they take a lot of work and tweaking to make sure they're playable. I think part of the issue with the scenery is not the modelling, but the textures and normal maps. I'm not fantastic with those, and I've been making do with whatever I can make that looks passable.

I think, from the time it's taken to get this far, character specific karts are not an option. The amount of time it would take to add those in and make sure the engine still works is more than I'm willing to do, especially since I'm doing pretty much everything myself.

As for Scarlet Devil Mansion, well... that was pretty much what I had in mind, yeah.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »
This is amazing! just got done watching the early alpha footage and looked at the pictures you have set up, really looking forward to this coming out! Do you have any plans on a multiplayer option in the future?

Also do you need help with anything? I'm borderline beginner at a lot of stuff except for a few things but I'm always willing to learn more to help out.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Hoeloe

« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2014, 11:47:30 PM »
This is amazing! just got done watching the early alpha footage and looked at the pictures you have set up, really looking forward to this coming out! Do you have any plans on a multiplayer option in the future?

Also do you need help with anything? I'm borderline beginner at a lot of stuff except for a few things but I'm always willing to learn more to help out.

I'm hoping to have online multiplayer available in the final release, we'll see how it goes. There's very little chance of local multiplayer though.

Help is always welcome! Keep in mind that if you want to help, my standards can get fairly high, but if possible, I'll try and guide you in the right direction if it's not quite good enough. Any help I can get is much appreciated, the load here is really quite huge. At the moment I'm just focussing on the game engine and level design, but there's so much more to be done!

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2014, 12:07:48 AM »
Well the most experience I have is with graphics, things like UI designs or other things similar. But anything else I'm willing to try.

« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2014, 03:31:45 AM »
This all looks very promising and fun to play  :)
Good luck

« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2014, 12:34:35 PM »
Quote from: Hoeloe on Reddit
Hey! Just jumping in here to say thanks for taking an interest in my project! I've answered some of your concerns over at MotK. I will say that I am running this on literally zero budget, and with practically no team to speak of, so please don't expect AAA quality from it! Still, I'm always one for saying that's no excuse for not improving, so I'm up for any criticism people want to offer!
I'm just happy that what I'm doing can be appreciated by so many other people!

Thanks for that, I'm not really a Redditer, so I hadn't seen this. I'll respond to some of the concerns here.

Scenery and karts are mostly because I don't have a team. I'm doing all the level design myself, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best modeller. Having said that, I am also somewhat restricted by what Unity offers to free developers. There are also certain restrictions on the track layouts, so those have to stay, they take a lot of work and tweaking to make sure they're playable. I think part of the issue with the scenery is not the modelling, but the textures and normal maps. I'm not fantastic with those, and I've been making do with whatever I can make that looks passable.

I think, from the time it's taken to get this far, character specific karts are not an option. The amount of time it would take to add those in and make sure the engine still works is more than I'm willing to do, especially since I'm doing pretty much everything myself.

As for Scarlet Devil Mansion, well... that was pretty much what I had in mind, yeah.

Hehe, of course I'm not expecting AAA level stuff from this, don't worry. I can sympathize with the woes of having no budget.

I think I can see what you mean with the custom karts. Making the new models is one thing, making them work correctly is not. Collision boxes and the like would have to be set again for the new models, and that would need some extensive testing. Getting rid of all the bugs in one model is work enough. I guess we can just say Nitori made all the karts and gave them to the other characters. They're going to have different paint jobs anyway, and I guess small mods that don't really change the overall geometry aren't out of the question.

I'm curious of those restrictions on the track layouts. By the way you worded it, I guess some of the stuff I had in mind for the SDM track when I mentioned it wouldn't possibly be able to be implemented. Umm... Can I talk about it?

After seeing your video of the game in action, with my hyperactive imagination, I started sort of imagining myself playing the game, making up the tracks as I went along. I tend to do that... Anyway, I tried mapping out my idea of the SDM track, starting on the main hall, continuing through some halls, sharp turns because of the square corners, eventually going down to the library. After the library section, the kart goes into a magic circle, which teleports the player into one of the towers, which is then exited to the flat part of the roof around the clock tower, which is entered, and then the karts descend and go to the mansion's second floor, race around there a bit, then go down the stairs into the main hall (because reckless endangerment with karts is the name of the game) and the lap would be complete. While that would be awesome, it's probably too hard to do, and would require an insane ammount of assets.

My image of a Hakugyokurou track was also ambitious, though not to the same extent. Actually doable, I think. Most of it would be in the gardens, but in a small section of it you'd enter the shrine, and there would be a sharp turn around the Saigyou Ayakashi, giving you some time to look at it.

The way I see it, Mario Kart is as much about the scenery as the racing. You aren't just racing through the tracks, you're exploring them. There's plenty of stuff to see, and the tracks are designed so that you get a good look at the major landmarks while racing.

That being said, I took a look at your Facebook page and took a look at your screenshots. While the test track was a bit lacking, as is expected of a test track, your new tracks look much better. While there is some room for improvement, I really like what I'm seeing so far a lot. I'm especially a fan of you Forest of Magic track, great ambience on that one. The textures look good enough, you're selling yourself short with that "looks passable" talk. As you said, we're not expecting AAA value here.

I have been wondering why there wasn't a Touhou version of Mario Kart, and I've been thinking that there should be more western fangames. Your project is an answer to both my musings. I really, really want to see this happen.

As I said, I would love to help you out in any way I can, but I don't really think I have any skills that would be useful to you. I did make a texture once, but that's about it. I should be acquiring relevant skills in the near future, if my plans go as I hope, so who knows, I might end up giving you a hand somewhere along the line.From the way you talk about this project, it seems like it's still going to be in development for a good while.

And since this is a racing game we are talking about, I went and fished up this article I saw some time ago. Might be worth a read, if you haven't done that already.

Keep it up! I'm so looking forward to seeing where this can go.

Hoeloe

« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2014, 05:57:20 PM »
Hehe, of course I'm not expecting AAA level stuff from this, don't worry. I can sympathize with the woes of having no budget.

I think I can see what you mean with the custom karts. Making the new models is one thing, making them work correctly is not. Collision boxes and the like would have to be set again for the new models, and that would need some extensive testing. Getting rid of all the bugs in one model is work enough. I guess we can just say Nitori made all the karts and gave them to the other characters. They're going to have different paint jobs anyway, and I guess small mods that don't really change the overall geometry aren't out of the question.

I'm curious of those restrictions on the track layouts. By the way you worded it, I guess some of the stuff I had in mind for the SDM track when I mentioned it wouldn't possibly be able to be implemented. Umm... Can I talk about it?

The restrictions are mostly about what is actually possible to race on. "Are these corners too sharp?" "Can all the characters make this jump?" "Can you see where the track will go next?" These are all concerns I have to think about when designing the tracks, and it's painful to make sure they work at least to some degree at all points.

After seeing your video of the game in action, with my hyperactive imagination, I started sort of imagining myself playing the game, making up the tracks as I went along. I tend to do that... Anyway, I tried mapping out my idea of the SDM track, starting on the main hall, continuing through some halls, sharp turns because of the square corners, eventually going down to the library. After the library section, the kart goes into a magic circle, which teleports the player into one of the towers, which is then exited to the flat part of the roof around the clock tower, which is entered, and then the karts descend and go to the mansion's second floor, race around there a bit, then go down the stairs into the main hall (because reckless endangerment with karts is the name of the game) and the lap would be complete. While that would be awesome, it's probably too hard to do, and would require an insane ammount of assets.

That is pretty ambitious, but a lot of that is somewhat like what I had planned. I actually wanted to base SDM on Cortex Castle from Crash Team Racing, with some Bowser's Castle influence there too. One thing I will say is that the cellar and the library don't need to be included, because they will have tracks of their own!

My image of a Hakugyokurou track was also ambitious, though not to the same extent. Actually doable, I think. Most of it would be in the gardens, but in a small section of it you'd enter the shrine, and there would be a sharp turn around the Saigyou Ayakashi, giving you some time to look at it.

I have some ideas for Hakugyokurou already, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with the result!

The way I see it, Mario Kart is as much about the scenery as the racing. You aren't just racing through the tracks, you're exploring them. There's plenty of stuff to see, and the tracks are designed so that you get a good look at the major landmarks while racing.

That being said, I took a look at your Facebook page and took a look at your screenshots. While the test track was a bit lacking, as is expected of a test track, your new tracks look much better. While there is some room for improvement, I really like what I'm seeing so far a lot. I'm especially a fan of you Forest of Magic track, great ambience on that one. The textures look good enough, you're selling yourself short with that "looks passable" talk. As you said, we're not expecting AAA value here.

The test track was just me painting some road on some bad geometry so I could get the engine working. I totally agree that the scenery is very important. I've tried to make the tracks interesting to look at, and I will agree that they aren't perfect, but I'm glad you're pleased with what you've seen!

I have been wondering why there wasn't a Touhou version of Mario Kart, and I've been thinking that there should be more western fangames. Your project is an answer to both my musings. I really, really want to see this happen.

I've seen a couple of projects like this before, but they all got abandoned very early in development. This actually started as a sort of "what if?" musing with a friend, and I eventually decided: "Why not?" I'm just glad that there are so many other people who are as keen as I am to see it happen!

As I said, I would love to help you out in any way I can, but I don't really think I have any skills that would be useful to you. I did make a texture once, but that's about it. I should be acquiring relevant skills in the near future, if my plans go as I hope, so who knows, I might end up giving you a hand somewhere along the line.From the way you talk about this project, it seems like it's still going to be in development for a good while.

And since this is a racing game we are talking about, I went and fished up this article I saw some time ago. Might be worth a read, if you haven't done that already.

Keep it up! I'm so looking forward to seeing where this can go.

That texture looks strangely familiar. Made for Minecraft, by any chance?

Thanks for that link, I'll give it a look! It's worth keeping in mind that different rules apply for realistic and non-realistic racers, and the most important thing is that it's fun to play!

Thanks for the comments! I'm really looking forward to being able to release even some of this for people to try out!

Hoeloe

« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
Well, the project has hit a bit of a setback, with our character modeller dropping out. I'm now looking for someone else to take up the role, if anyone is interested.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2014, 11:36:27 AM »
Let me guess, the person was in the first place extremely hyped: "I WILL HELP NO PROBLEM."  >> few days later >> "Ehm, yes, well err, sorry I cannot continue this"? Finding devoted and true-to-their-word people are hard to find these days. Unless this isn't the case that is.

Hoeloe

« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2014, 12:08:35 PM »
Let me guess, the person was in the first place extremely hyped: "I WILL HELP NO PROBLEM."  >> few days later >> "Ehm, yes, well err, sorry I cannot continue this"? Finding devoted and true-to-their-word people are hard to find these days. Unless this isn't the case that is.

Not really. He's been doing some fantastic work for the project for several months, but sadly has had to drop out for various reasons that I won't go into.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2014, 12:23:01 PM »
I stand corrected and taken back my words. Then that is extremely unfortunate hope that you find a modeler soon.

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
  • Cultured Tastes Since 1994
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2014, 10:43:13 PM »
Still eager to help with soundtrack, by the way :)

I have a really-freaking-early-in-development theme for the SDM track, and am just now getting started on one for the basement.  I've already remixed U.N. Owen twice before, so what could possibly go wrong? XD

Hoeloe

« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2014, 12:17:30 AM »
Still eager to help with soundtrack, by the way :)

I have a really-freaking-early-in-development theme for the SDM track, and am just now getting started on one for the basement.  I've already remixed U.N. Owen twice before, so what could possibly go wrong? XD

The soundtrack is definitely something that is needed! I only have one song so far (Cirno's Theme), so I'm definitely looking for more help with that!

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2014, 12:56:03 AM »
What parts do you need help with exactly?

Hoeloe

« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2014, 07:54:18 AM »
What parts do you need help with exactly?

Most of all, I need someone to create 3D models of the characters, with textures and rigging, and preferably IK handles.

I do also need help with music for the different courses, too.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2014, 12:10:27 AM »
OK, I'm guessing you already have a UI and menus then?

Hoeloe

« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2014, 12:48:38 AM »
OK, I'm guessing you already have a UI and menus then?

I don't actually, I was planning to do those myself, but to be honest, it doesn't matter too much if someone else does it!

Hoeloe

« Reply #172 on: March 02, 2014, 08:17:58 PM »
Tadah! New screenshots day!

« Reply #173 on: March 02, 2014, 10:50:10 PM »
Holy shit.. those look fantastic!

Fuyuumi

• A fairy pichuu'ed me.
« Reply #174 on: March 02, 2014, 11:38:17 PM »
Now I wonder if my laptop would work with this game, haha!

Seriously, I love ice themed locations. And looks like players would have to drive through water? Interesting

Hoeloe

« Reply #175 on: March 03, 2014, 12:14:05 AM »
Now I wonder if my laptop would work with this game, haha!

Seriously, I love ice themed locations. And looks like players would have to drive through water? Interesting

Hopefully. It should be possible to run on lower-end computers, just possibly not in HD.

And yup, that would be one of the themes :D

Monkeypro257

« Reply #176 on: March 03, 2014, 05:54:19 AM »
A racing game just wouldn't be without having random spectators, watching. Though it doesn't really matter. . . :3
(Nice work with the landscapes!)

Hoeloe

« Reply #177 on: March 03, 2014, 08:37:06 AM »
A racing game just wouldn't be without having random spectators, watching. Though it doesn't really matter. . . :3
(Nice work with the landscapes!)

Thanks! I don't know, Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing only had random spectators on specific stages, and since those are the inspiration for this, it would seem a bit weird to include them, especially since there isn't really a place to put them.

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
  • Cultured Tastes Since 1994
« Reply #178 on: March 03, 2014, 07:35:01 PM »
Still here; Septette remix going very slowly so I'm getting started on one for the Sakuya track instead :)
(also, any plans for Renko and/or Maribel to also have their own track?)

Hoeloe

« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2014, 07:37:04 AM »
Still here; Septette remix going very slowly so I'm getting started on one for the Sakuya track instead :)
(also, any plans for Renko and/or Maribel to also have their own track?)

Awesome! Yes, Renko and Maribel hopefully will have a track each, one of 3 "Rainbow Road" style tracks, the 3rd being Sakuya's.