Author Topic: Touhou RAGE Thread X-Mode  (Read 139856 times)

Re: Touhou RAGE Thread X-Mode
« Reply #870 on: November 18, 2011, 05:26:05 PM »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Marisa is too fat.

Reimu spoils you.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #871 on: November 18, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »
Keep in mind, this is SA Marisa I'm talking about. ;)
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #872 on: November 18, 2011, 07:13:56 PM »
She got plumper in UFO and it's still fine.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #873 on: November 18, 2011, 07:41:05 PM »
Thing is, I've been dying to find out actual stats for hitbox sizes in SA, so that I can judge Marisa's more fairly. I think you provided the ones for UFO way back when, but do you have SA's?
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #874 on: November 18, 2011, 08:15:01 PM »
fuck sake so many issues going on with college that pisses me of that is causing me to make stupid mistakes in touhou -.-

« Reply #875 on: November 18, 2011, 10:18:13 PM »
Thing is, I've been dying to find out actual stats for hitbox sizes in SA, so that I can judge Marisa's more fairly. I think you provided the ones for UFO way back when, but do you have SA's?

It wasn't me who found them in the first place, it was jisakujien.

I'm nearly 100% certain Marisa's hitbox in SA is smaller than in UFO, though I'm only gathering that from experience, I have no data to back it up. Stop trying to skirt along hitbox boundaries and just dodge the bullets.

« Reply #876 on: November 18, 2011, 10:36:19 PM »
Stop trying to skirt along hitbox boundaries and just dodge the bullets.

As if that isn't one and the same thing in SA.

Playing SA with Marisa is like playing Mushi Futari with one of those dragons from Dragon Blaze.  :V

« Reply #877 on: November 19, 2011, 01:46:37 AM »
Playing SA with Marisa is like playing Mushi Futari with one of those dragons from Dragon Blaze.  :V

I think you mean "playing SA with anybody other than Reimu A is like..."

3/5 of the other shot types just happen to be Marisa, is all :V

« Reply #878 on: November 19, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »
Well, yeah that's kind of correct. However, I'd still call the other Reimu types being better, way better, than any of Marisa's shots in SA. That doesn't make them good though. I mean, one of them is a seriously underpowered kinda homing but then not type that characterizes itself by shooting mist at enemies while the other one is decent and has good bombs which can actually make cheesing your way through to a 1cc easier.

The Marisa types though are bad except MarisaB which is decent but really, none of all that matters since the only character that goes to DBDB is ReimuA so that's the shot you use.  ;)

« Reply #879 on: November 19, 2011, 09:47:46 PM »
Timing out Seiga's overdrive.

4 seconds left... *sigh*  Guess it's an improvement over "6 seconds left".

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #880 on: November 19, 2011, 10:03:55 PM »
ReimuC is the only good character for ramming into heart bullets in Embers of Love, and Subterranean Rose.
During a bomb, of course.

I always thought that Marisa's hitbox from 10-12 was the same, and everyone got smaller slightly in 13.

« Reply #881 on: November 19, 2011, 10:19:32 PM »
I am sorry for posting this much in such a short amount of time but...
Quote from: qno2
Timing out Seiga's overdrive.
1 second, I couldn't describe my current emotions without getting banned for my use of words.

... seems to cause a spontaneous headache too.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #882 on: November 19, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »
ReimuC is the only good character for ramming into heart bullets in Embers of Love, and Subterranean Rose.
During a bomb, of course.
I don't get it. Why are you trying to ram bullets at all during those two cards?

And regarding hitboxes to follow up on Naut, an initial look at Marisa's hitbox in SA makes me think it's the same as in UFO. Well, the visual looks the same at least, I don't know if the actual hitbox is different.

And to stay on-topic: Damn, maybe I was being too aggressive supergrazing Satori's nonspells. Tons of deaths in a practice run - all correctable at some point, but still, I'd think I wouldn't derp that much.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #883 on: November 20, 2011, 01:09:30 AM »
I don't get it. Why are you trying to ram bullets at all during those two cards?
You try using ReimuA's bomb to clear bullets via ramming.
It's also a matter of 90FPS clearing, but that's probably the sole reason that I picked ReimuC over ReimuA.

Anyways...
asdfagsdgadsfh Mystic Square, Extra. WHY SO CRUEL.

« Reply #884 on: November 20, 2011, 01:16:17 AM »
And regarding hitboxes to follow up on Naut, an initial look at Marisa's hitbox in SA makes me think it's the same as in UFO. Well, the visual looks the same at least, I don't know if the actual hitbox is different.

If you're going by visuals, every player hitbox from 10, 11, 12, 12.8 and 13 is exactly the same. It's all math.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #885 on: November 20, 2011, 03:33:12 AM »
Hint: 2909.83 fps
Oh, I thought it was you having a full stock of lives when the point bonus was near.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #886 on: November 20, 2011, 07:28:25 AM »
Oh, I thought it was you having a full stock of lives when the point bonus was near.
Stage practice, because the max possible lives at that point with that point item count would be 6.

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #887 on: November 20, 2011, 07:33:56 AM »
Video demonstration actually, doesn't that bug also make the cursor move at the speed of light? If so, I guess he wouldn't have been able to make it to Stage Practice, or anywhere else for that matter. Might be an entirely different bug, though.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:35:29 AM by Lepetit89 »

« Reply #888 on: November 20, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
Fuck the TD extra survival bug, and fuck my inability to figure out how to work the fucking patch.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:50:06 PM by Malkyrian »

fsvgm777

• One of the only Touhou fans from Luxembourg... I guess.
  • Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
« Reply #889 on: November 20, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »

Why, just why.

Worst part?

I had 3 lives remaining at the beginning of that spellcard.

Replay (note: I use some bombs, especially during later stages)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #890 on: November 21, 2011, 03:14:50 AM »
I've been attempting a few MoF Lunatic no-bomb runs lately.

From now on I'm calling Aya "the Great Filter". I'll let you figure out why.

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]
« Reply #891 on: November 21, 2011, 04:10:19 AM »
I recently (Last Week) just started playing DS  and I was doing good till about Stage 6 when I got it in the ass.     
Went back to playing it after a 3 day haitus and managed to capture 6-2 and 6-7 today though.

« Reply #892 on: November 21, 2011, 04:43:35 PM »
Meh. Quite a bunch of attempts put into Kyouko's overdrive now. None of them getting anywhere. I hate this card already. The design here is about as lazy as it gets. ZUN probably just went, 'crap, i have no good ideas so let's fire bubbles from four directions making perfectly sure that figuring out what can kill you and what can't is impossible'.

I normally don't mind bubbles too much if they are just coming from one direction but once they mix themselves up like this, it turns into guesswork because of their huge sprites and relatively small hitboxes. I never really thought about this since it was never really a problem but now that it has become a problem I start to lose my tolerance for bullets whose hitbox are what 40% of the sprite? They really don't serve any meaningful purpose either compared to just having a smaller bullet sprite with the same hitbox. Most deaths to bubbles are because of deceptive hitboxes instead of reading errors anyway.

Formless God

« Reply #893 on: November 21, 2011, 06:36:43 PM »
Weren't you the one who said that was the most fun card ever or something ? :V

« Reply #894 on: November 21, 2011, 07:49:28 PM »
Nay, to my recollection, i never said such a thing. It looked cool on Lunatic, that's what i said. Overdrive however still looks pretty cool but I don't like how the challenge comes from the fact that the bullets have needlessly large sprites turning it into a visual clusterfuck.

Of course, it might easily just be me who just sucks or something but for all its worth, this is why I don't like the attack.

« Reply #895 on: November 21, 2011, 08:32:14 PM »
Damnit why does Marisa have to have such a big hitbox.

Went to clear MoF Extra with MarisaB[ugged] just for laughs, only to die to Suwako's second spellcard while at 4.xx power TWICE IN THE SAME RUN because I'm so used to Reimu. That's Suwako's easiest attack are you fucking serious.

Zil

« Reply #896 on: November 21, 2011, 11:45:29 PM »
Of course, it might easily just be me who just sucks or something but for all its worth, this is why I don't like the attack.
It's not just you. That's a god-awful spell, and your complaints are well founded. Personally I find myself despising bubble bullets more and more. They just cover up everything else with their giant sprites and make you wonder where the stupid hitboxes actually are.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #897 on: November 22, 2011, 03:22:14 AM »
I captured that spell by sitting in the bottom right area and praying.
Can't imagine timing it out... In addition to the omnidirectional bubbles, there is also that stupid ring of arrows, where if I try to dodge it, I get hit, and if I don't pay attention, they often just slip by magically.

« Reply #898 on: November 22, 2011, 11:25:57 AM »
In addition to the omnidirectional bubbles, there is also that stupid ring of arrows, where if I try to dodge it, I get hit, and if I don't pay attention, they often just slip by magically.

The arrowheads only serve to distract your attention from the real threat. I had only 1 of 20 or so failures due to being hit by the arrowheads but I can't really help not getting distracted when there is something fast coming at me no matter how hard i try to stay focused on the bubbles. Its just something i instinctively react to.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #899 on: November 22, 2011, 11:52:15 AM »
I captured that spell by sitting in the bottom right area and praying.
Can't imagine timing it out... In addition to the omnidirectional bubbles, there is also that stupid ring of arrows, where if I try to dodge it, I get hit, and if I don't pay attention, they often just slip by magically.
My 6 attempts had 2 arrow ring hits, 3 bubble hits (1 hitbox misread, 1 bullet misread, and 1 derp) and 1 capture.