Author Topic: Touhou DazeD (Daze of Lackadaisical Days)  (Read 22300 times)

Re: Touhou DazeD (Daze of Lackadaisical Days)
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 05:22:04 PM »
Fun idea for a game. But there are a few things that are a little unbalanced.

First of all, Flandre is OVERPOWERED like hell. And if Nazrin uses her first C in the middle followed by her second Z where the opponent moves, it is a sure kill.

Worst of all is Suwako. If you use the Cage cascade followed by the Oblivion Ring, that is definatively a sure kill, you simply cannot avoid it.

As for future characters, I'd like to see Reimu and Aya.

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 01:16:15 AM »
Which cascades and combinations are the most overpowered?

I know there are several sure kill combinations that need to be tweaked or removed.

Flandre requires more micrododging, which I admit is not as easy with this control scheme.

I will focus more on balancing once I have a full character roster.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 02:56:33 AM »
Oh hey, I finally remembered what I wanted to say.

If you want "legitimacy" oh god memories of PoP are rushing back to me, you should have the Japanese name at the beginning of the name.
So you could have, for example, 東方夢滝靄* ~ Daze of Lackadaisical Days.

read as "Touhou Muroumoya"

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 05:57:28 AM »
I'm not entirely sure how you derived that translation, but it seems to fit.

I came up with the title in english, was going to try and translate it one day, but I don't know any japanese. On this, I'll just take your word for it.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 04:48:58 PM »
I'm not entirely sure how you derived that translation, but it seems to fit.
I came up with the title in english, was going to try and translate it one day, but I don't know any japanese. On this, I'll just take your word for it.

Hrm.
The title would translate to something like
夢 - Dream
滝 - Waterfall
靄 - Mist/haze
You can phrase it in a way you see fit.

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 09:35:11 PM »
Is there anyone out there who would be willing to make graphics for my game?

I'm not expecting it to be perfect, but just something so I don't have to continue using stuff from touhoumon.

I just need boss sprites and player sprites.

Oh and yeah, I think I released suwako without doing the proper balancing.

Nazrin C followed by Z is easy to dodge, perhaps you mean C followed by V.

Nazrin's second V has been the most annoying to balance. You pretty much have to be in front to survive.

Well balancing will come later
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:11:37 PM by mew77 »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2011, 10:29:01 PM »
I can probably make bullet graphics and cutins. (I can start April 03 if I don't get too much to do right after school starts again)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:30:34 PM by ミョウリ »

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2011, 10:36:56 PM »
Sounds good, then again serious work on this project probably won't start for a while. Right now I'm just finishing up Alice. Then I'll probably add Marisa and Reimu. School's kind of getting me down right now.

Edit: after last week i'm a bit better
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:49:07 PM by mew77 »

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 10:51:46 PM »
change log
beta 0.23
characters now have shot types. All shots deal 1/10 of a second of time damage.
shots are fired by spinning the mouse wheel down.

cascades now increase the timer by 15 seconds

added Alice

added turn duration to options

added defender shot to options

cleaned up help menu

enjoy: http://www.mediafire.com/?e4vxteo04q7e4a6

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 11:17:34 PM »
enjoy: http://www.mediafire.com/?e4vxteo04q7e4a6

This link appears to be broken.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 11:28:46 PM »
I had to add alice's survival data and button...

Here's the new one: http://www.mediafire.com/?zty3mltpu4yoin7
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:00:40 AM by mew77 »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 04:32:17 AM »
Yeah, so I tried it again.
It's quite hard to use when the cursor is invisible.

As in, "WHERE ARE YOU GOING FLAN STAY PUT NOOOO"

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »
So you're saying put the cursor star thingy back...will do

Maybe I'm just used to this control scheme or something.

beta 0.231

-cursor in versus is back
-a cascade was named incorrectly

http://www.mediafire.com/?6ilpv66u6qbetxo
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:47:24 PM by mew77 »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 09:49:57 PM »
Right.
Let's see, will there be a way to toggle the cursor, music and sound effects?

Also, it seems some of Nazrin's cascades are a bit broken (ie. lasers suddenly appear at full size without delay)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - most of the danmaku are covering the sidebar on the right...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:52:46 PM by ミョウリェー »

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2011, 09:54:37 PM »
That's something else I'll have to deal with...

Anyway...this game will still take a while to really polish.

So keep those comments coming.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:33:46 PM by mew77 »

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 09:47:05 AM »

I don't have a mouse wheel. >_>

I haven't tried a recent version yet, so I can't say much.  Just keep at it, right?  (And yeah, school brings everyone down; That's what it's for.)

I'll say more later, anyways.
^_^;

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »
  Also, considering the name, do any of the actual touhou game titles use non-jouyou kanji?  (I don't think so, but I could be wrong.)  It may be best to not use 靄. 
And if you're including 夢 than you may want to put it at the end instead.  (妖 or  幻 are more touhou title-ish for the beginning, and 夢 is more often used at the end of compounds anyways.)

If you wanted the japanese title to mean anything else in specific, you could of course also ask and see.

And by the way, ミョウテラス probably knows japanese better than I do, so it may be best to listen to him over me. ^_^;;
^_^;

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »
I don't have a mouse wheel. >_>

I haven't tried a recent version yet, so I can't say much.  Just keep at it, right?  (And yeah, school brings everyone down; That's what it's for.)

I'll say more later, anyways.

That's part of the reason why i have an option to disable it. So people who want straight up dodging can do so.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2011, 10:23:45 PM »
ミョウテラス
:| Name's Mewkyuu, Myouri, or Myouterasu. Anyone is fine, but Myouterasu is quite temporary a name I'm using, so yeah.

Do I get to draw cutins now?
Also, @mew77 - If you ever plan to insert more characters, could you please PM me about it first since I wanna be able to draw the cutin beforehand.

Also, yeah - About the death explosion - are you going to add a proper one, as in not some weird amulet thing?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:28:59 PM by ミョウテラス »

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2011, 10:31:34 PM »
Frankly all that it's supposed to do is destroy all bullets onscreen, so I could technically make it anything as long as all bullets are destroyed.

Oh and I have PMed you regarding the characters that are currently made.

O'm working on developing a final character roster.

I expect to have 12 characters...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:19:15 PM by mew77 »

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2011, 07:41:17 PM »
When you switch turns,the new defender can be hit by her own remaining bullets, if there is one at her starting point.  Delete those first, then switch out.

You forgot to mention 'space=pause' in the control explanation.

"Survival" has a thicker outline than the other options on the main menu.  It stands out too much.

Alice's bombs (and Flan's, and perhaps some others) still have less depth than the side-window.  Try giving the side-window a depth of -999 or something.

You can have more than one bomb out at a time.

I suggest having the "Cascade Ready" text and the spell name as two different things, so the spell name doesn't disappear so quickly.
(That way you can put a timer-bar for how long you have until you can use the next spell over the "Cascade Ready" text, too.)

Survival mode is a nice addition.  Enemy movement is awful, though.  You may want to increase the chance of moving horizontally towards the player.
Also, survival mode showcases well that spells should get harder over time.  PoFV's spell level-up system is a good example of what you could do for this.

On the menu, colored-in selections still remained colored in even if you click on something else.  Also, the currently set
options on the options menu aren't colored when you first go in.  You should have these things based on global variables,
so that they are consistent with eachother.  For example:

if variable = 1 then {draw_set_color(color); draw_set_alpha(1/2); draw_rectangle(x,y,x+sprite_get_width(self),y+sprite_get_height(self);}

Change "variable" to whatever variable you are using, and change "(color)" to whatever color you want. (c_red) for example.
This is also assuming that the origin of your sprite is in the top-left corner.
Throw that into the 'draw' event of your options, and it should work nifty.  (You may also have to redraw the current sprite under it, though.)

(Also, the selections for how long a turn lasts don't change color at all.)
(And only the bottom three options in player select change color, and only for p1.)

I still don't like the mouse movement.  If you intend to keep it for defender, than you should try to improve it.
Now, even if the cursor is far away, the player still won't move towards it sometimes.
I don't know what you're using now, but if you put "move_towards_point(mouse_x,mouse_y,speed)" in the defender's step event it should work fine.

Overall nice improvements.  It's approaching playable now, so keep at it.
^_^;

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2011, 08:36:25 PM »
okay I'm going to start with the mouse movement.

The movement used to spazz when the mouse was stationary, I fixed that by making the defender only move if the mouse was in motion, which then caused the problems you noted in your post.

I have ideas on how to fix it and will get to that at some point...I guess I'll have to improve the interface before adding more characters.

The button color stuff is among the last things I will take time to fix, just because I'd rather get the rest of the game ready.

I think you may be right about having the cascade ready be seperate...I'll test that out.

The enemy AI for survival is completely random, including the movement.

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2011, 05:35:45 AM »
okay I'm going to start with the mouse movement.

The movement used to spazz when the mouse was stationary, I fixed that by making the defender only move if the mouse was in motion, which then caused the problems you noted in your post.

I have ideas on how to fix it and will get to that at some point...I guess I'll have to improve the interface before adding more characters.

if distance_to_point(mouse_x,mouse_y)<3 then {x=mouse_x; y=mouse_y;}

Should fix the character from jumping back and forth right next to the mouse, if that was your problem.  (And if their speed is less than six.)

The enemy AI for survival is completely random, including the movement.

Even if it's random, you can assign a larger percentage chance to move towards the player.
^_^;

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2011, 06:27:46 AM »
change log
beta 0.24

shots can be turned off in options.

improved survival movement

bomb cannot be spammed
a few characters didn't have conditions to prevent bomb spam, that's dealt with now.

mouse movement less screwy
mostly no more spazzing on edges

added cascade counter that counts down until the attacker has a cascade ready
attack names are now visible until another attack is used.

options are now saved to config.txt
allows players to save their options

survival times are now saved to survival.txt
in time I will develop an algorithm to get it to only keep the best time for each character.

warning: the game will not crash if config.txt is removed, but you will have to go into options to reset it. The zip file contains the default config

http://www.mediafire.com/?g0u96g5q6xp4m5q
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:36:36 PM by mew77 »

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2011, 06:49:04 PM »
I have reached a point where I want to start polishing the graphics. Now as a free fan work, I need to now whether Touhoumon, CTC, and hitousensoku sprites are for public use.

In any case the character select pictures were taken from various fanart, if someone is willing to help me do art for this project I would greatly appreciate it.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2011, 09:57:19 PM »
I have reached a point where I want to start polishing the graphics. Now as a free fan work, I need to now whether Touhoumon, CTC, and hitousensoku sprites are for public use.

In any case the character select pictures were taken from various fanart, if someone is willing to help me do art for this project I would greatly appreciate it.
And again, we can use Touhoumon sprites for the ... sprites.
Hisoutensoku sprites don't seem very fitting for a vertical shooting game. And of course, there isn't a sprite set in CtC style for every single Touhou character yet.
And for cutins and stuff, you can take a look at some of the cutins I've drawn. So have you decided on a final character roster? I could draw all of the characters in one go if I have time... For some reason my drawing style always varies slightly each day.

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 03:00:14 AM »
Not  final list but I have decided on three more characters to add...thus bringing the current total to 10 characters.

Just two more and I'll have the final roster.

When I couldn't find a good defender sprite for a character I searched in their hitousensoku hitspin for a back view and the rotated it.

Most bullets are taken from the CTC bullet set(it's the closest to ZUN bullets without using zun graphics).

Oh and certain oddly shaped bullets are from hitousensoku, most notably suwako's rock hands clap card.

The current roster is:

Cirno eosd 1

Rumia eosd 2

Flandre eosd 3

Nazrin ufo 4

Suwako mof 5

Sakuya eosd 6

Alice pcb 7

Marisa all 8

Suika iamp 9

Nue ufo 10

Twelve characters is final.

Current considerations:

Yoshika Miyako td - more straightforward knife style. Oh and currently my favorite character from th13

Satori sa - could use enemy cascades to supplement her own

Aya - still on the edge about this one, i mean the defender movement is seriously fast enough to become hazardous, but still a possiblility

Reimu - I kind of want a touhou game where reimu doesn't appear...after all they are fighting in her shrine.

If you know someone who can do background art that would be most appreciated.

I can finally release it without the PoFV credit screen.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:16:55 AM by mew77 »

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 05:14:43 AM »
My vote goes for Yoshika.  People will be excited to see a TD character in it.  (Including me!)

I'm looking forward to the others in your list, too.  Suika, Nue, and Satori look especially exciting.
(Although I was kind of looking forward to a PC-98 character, too.)

Anyways, I'm just babbling.
^_^;

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2011, 05:48:38 AM »
Yoshika is definetley on the list if someone can draw me a custom cut in graphic, a player sprite and a boss sprite, poor me and my inability to draw much of anything. I suppose I could use a test graphic for now.

They don't have to be animated, I just need something to work with.

So with that there's one slot left.

Anyway

I won't have much time to work on this until may.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 02:36:41 PM »
Yoshika is definetley on the list if someone can draw me a custom cut in graphic, a player sprite and a boss sprite, poor me and my inability to draw much of anything. I suppose I could use a test graphic for now.

I will start drawing!