Author Topic: Portrait of Strange Relic: Beta 5.9 (updated 11/29/10)  (Read 109121 times)

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Re: Portrait of Strange Relic: Beta 5.9 (updated 11/29/10)
« Reply #240 on: December 02, 2010, 09:04:11 AM »
My Danmakufu crashes when i start the game, but i can see replays. Crazy.
To my understanding, usually when Danmakufu gets a windows crash during a script it's because it's trying to do stuff before it's finished loading everything. I can add a second of wait time before the title menu comes up in the next beta and see if that helps.

This version actually lags less than the last one for me, (the previous version lagged a lot on stage 5.)
Great, I'm glad it worked! I made two major changes for the sake of optimization:
1) Uses the built-in fog function much less, uses a gradient texture and other optical illusions for shading instead.
2) Instead of constantly drawing three identical iterations of the stage and retreading them to create seamless looping (Stage 1 and 5), it now randomly generates the positions of mountains and trees at the top of the screen, so it's much less drawing.

The sound effects could probably be a little less obnoxious, though.  Especially during Kotohime's fight, (where it can be hard to hear the song,) (and especially especially during Ginny's midboss card.)  Maybe have louder music?
Yeah it gets on my nerves at times too, I intend to make the SFX softer when I get around to looping the music. (IIRC other people have complained about this too)

(It's too bad the next version won't be final, by the way.  Will it have a finished Final and only lack extra?)
Actually, my current plans are to not release a beta 6 at all and jump straight into beta 7, complete with extra. If I released beta 6 it'd pretty much just have the final boss added and that's it; I'd rather have more new content than that, to get people more excited to play it. So, when I get the next beta done, that'll be the final beta, so at that point I'll let people playtest it a bit, look for bugs, make some minor adjustments accordingly, do as much as I can to prevent crashes, then make the official release and finally distribute it (although besides maybe Poosh I have no idea where to release it outside of MotK...)

Anyway I am going to try to get beta 7 out somewhere between Christmas and New Years. I don't need to make a new stage background for Extra (thanks for being lazy ZUN, gives me an excuse to do it too!) so I should be able to make that relatively quickly.

Serina

• Evening Star
  • I like Danmakufu
Re: Portrait of Strange Relic: Beta 5.9 (updated 11/29/10)
« Reply #241 on: December 02, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »
To my understanding, usually when Danmakufu gets a windows crash during a script it's because it's trying to do stuff before it's finished loading everything. I can add a second of wait time before the title menu comes up in the next beta and see if that helps.

Yeah, i guess it helps, especially because my computer is not that great. Thanks for replying. ^^