Author Topic: Tales Thread: Full Voice Edition  (Read 4704 times)

Sana

• Good gravy!
Tales Thread: Full Voice Edition
« on: March 13, 2012, 04:55:10 PM »
With the release of NA Tales of Graces F today, I figured it's about time we had a new thread!

I'll be picking up my copy later today, might stream it for maximum hype :>

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: Tales Thread: Full Voice Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 04:55:37 PM »
eternia sucks  :X

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »
I WANT TO GO HOME SO I CAN PLAY THE COPY OF TALES OF GRACES F THAT IS SITTING IN MY APARTMENT

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:58:33 PM »
VOICED SKITS
Namco it's like I don't even know you anymore
In a good way!

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 12:40:05 AM »
Played ToGF for a while, Richard arrived at the mansion. So far, I'm kind of "meh" on the plot and dialogue/voice acting, I hope it picks up soon.

Combat's all right, but you'd think after all this time we'd be allowed to run around as we please. Vesperia did the free run thing nicely, this feels like a step back. Dodging feels awkward and unintuitive...Do I REALLY need to hold down a button just so I can dodge left or right? Why not just keep us locked onto an enemy and just let us push the stick left or right to run left or right? Or, better yet, just BE DONE with with the whole line thing and let us run freely without having to hold any buttons at all?

Sorry, just after having played other 3D action games I feel this isn't the best way to tackle 3D combat. I felt Vesperia handled things better, Graces puts too many restrictions on your movement.

Maybe if I keep playing it I'll get used to it, but still.  :ohdear:

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 04:13:12 AM »
HEY SANA and everyone else I HAVE A QUESTION

A friend of mine, both of us whom are fightan gaem buddies, have played some Tales games in the past. But whereas he really really loves all the games, I just kind of like the fighting system and have never played through a full Tales game. I've been helpful in some tought boss fights with my friend, but I don't have any of the games myself.

My question is: As someone who liked the fighting system in Tales of the Abyss but knows nothing else of the series, is there a particular game in the series I should check out to begin with? Or should I be looking to start with the oldest game for story reasons?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 04:16:37 AM »
Abyss is probably a decent choice, really.

Only pick up Phantasia if you've an overabundance of patience.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 04:17:38 AM »
I don't; I can count the number of JRPGs I've played to completion on one hand.

Thanks for the suggestion~

Drake

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 04:48:42 AM »
I would recommend Vesperia since it's pretty kickass overall but then you get spoiled by starting with one of the best and recent games. I would recommend Symphonia since the battle system is much more solid than Abyss', but Abyss' is certainly much more free and has more cool things like FoFs and stuff. Plus, it's quite corny and the GC-era of "we're starting modeling but it still looks awful" turns people off.

Overall, anything in the Symphonia-Legendia-Abyss bracket is good.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 04:49:02 AM »
Yeah Abyss is probably a good starter.  It's one of the easier Tales, and you shouldn't need to grind for anything unless you're doing one of those difficulties you only unlock after beating it.  It is also probably one of the longer ones though.  A lot of the easiness is attributable to it being the first game with the free run system, and there isn't really anything to stop you from exploiting it, especially as Natalia.

If you're a fan of its battle system though you should definitely check out Vesperia, it is pretty much Abyss++ in that department.  Also insert usual hype for Yuri and his dog.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 06:34:41 AM »
Abyss is pretty neat, just don't expect other games to be quite as broken :V
Also pretty much all the games have standalone stories so you don't have to play them in order or anything.

As for Graces, I personally prefer its battle system over games like Abyss or Vesperia because:
-Fast movement + free run tends to make dodging things like spells easier than it should be. Especially Abyss, once you get Dash and/or Glory, there's really no reason for you to get hit by anything, which kinda makes it boring in a way. In Graces you can still dodge a lot of things with the movement options you have, but sometimes you'll be forced into a situation where you have to block or parry. For example, at the end of a combo when most of your CC is used up, and you can't run fast enough to avoid the counter attack or another enemy's attack. 

-Parries own. Parries are basically my favourite part of this game. It's basically a risk/reward system: block an attack and possibly get guard broken, or parry and possibly negate almost all damage(and gain bonus CC) or eat damage if you mess up. (Also "option selects" with parry since you have to hold block to parry :V) Meanwhile, Abyss and Vesperia don't really have the same sort of thing, since free run makes you almost untouchable, and even if you blocked, I don't remember ever being guard crushed in those games.

-With the movement options you have, it's still possible to play runaway, but CC makes it harder to run for long. At some point, you will probably have to block and/or parry to regenerate your CC. As for Abyss/Vesperia: infinite free run and backsteps that cancel into themselves forever say hi
-CC in this game is better than ToDr, since it increases as you perform as opposed to just increasing by one each time you use more than 1 cc until it hits the cap.
-Being able to block magic means not getting hit by "unblockables" because an enemy casted a spell, but you're too busy blocking a melee attack from another enemy to magic block the spell. (To be fair, this probably doesn't happen very often anyway)
-Other neat little things like "charging" block to change your next attack's properties, or sheathing Asbel's sword at the end of long combos to regenerate health.

Basically, I probably like it because it's a lot like a fighting game! :>

It's by no means a perfect system though. There are some things I kinda don't like about it, like not knowing when you'll be guard crushed(guard gauge???). I also miss things like push blocking/advancing guard/whatever block+forward is, or the "parries" in ToDr you could do by tapping block before an attack.

Drake

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 07:51:55 AM »
Parries own. Parries are basically my favourite part of this game. It's basically a risk/reward system: block an attack and possibly get guard broken, or parry and possibly negate almost all damage(and gain bonus CC) or eat damage if you mess up. (Also "option selects" with parry since you have to hold block to parry :V)
WARNING NOT-REALLY FINAL BOSS SPOILERS

I also miss things like [...] the "parries" in ToDr you could do by tapping block before an attack.
KA-SHPING SCREEN FLASH
BLAST CALIBER READY LOLOLOLOL

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 12:35:12 PM »
Basically, I probably like it because it's a lot like a fighting game! :>

This coming from someone who naturally likes fighting games, so it's obvious we'll get some massive hype for ToGf. I think the ToDr system is a lot more fun, personally.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 02:18:08 PM »
eternia sucks  :X

what :<<<<

On a side note, Tales of Rebirth is my favorite game in the franchise. also playing through Tales of Destiny Director's Cut with a friend of mine; he plays in player 1 while I translate all the dialogue in a goofy way that makes no sense... it's actually very fun

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 04:22:22 PM »
KA-SHPING SCREEN FLASH
BLAST CALIBER READY LOLOLOLOL
Harder difficulties in ToDr are dumb :<

Edible

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »
So, the game is great thus far.  Intro section kind of dragged but it was okay.  Combat is wonderful and delicious, I love the movement and the dodging and the A/B artes and etc.  Doing away with SP is the best thing Tales has done in I don't even know how long.

Only real complaint is the graphics.  I know, I know.  Wii port, etc.  The textures just look so washed out and bleh compared to any modern titles, even stuff like Neptunia.

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 07:48:24 PM »
i got graces f a day early :smug:

i also got the yuri costume already

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Edible

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 01:29:11 PM »
Graces am super fun.  Doing sidequests and stuff before the last area.  Bought Sophie shoulder-hugger because it's adorable and a dollar.  MANY SOPHIES EVERYWHERE

In other news, Xillia had an English trademark filed in Europe.

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »
That would mean they're planning on bringing the original Xillia over and not the inevitable Xillia DC, trolling the entire western community :V