Author Topic: [Music] Rin Satsuki's Theme  (Read 22607 times)

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
Re: Rin Satsuki's Theme
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 09:18:13 AM »
Ha, alright. Wasn't really going for the "completely and utterly soul crushing" sound there, but consider it noted.

I wouldn't quite use those terms, but the very harsh sounds that you use for the first two main motifs do indeed make the listener feel ill-at-ease. The bit in the middle is the main contributor, its brutal emphasis on aharmonic chords being in stark contrast to the rest of the track that's relatively laid-back. This could, of course, be intentional, and that's fine.

As it is currently, the track feels a bit disjointed - there's little connecting each major motif to the next, and no real overarching melody or harmonic line. Only a bit though - a little more emphasis on a bass line, or some accompanying chords would allow one motif to easily flow into the next.

I'm not really certain what you're trying to show with the augmented second intervals that show up in the first major motif, the one that gives that "arabic feel," as mentioned upthread. If you're trying to emulate sounds possibly heard from an erhu, bear in mind that it's a bowed instrument, thus the sounds it makes will be long and legato. To be fair, it's easily plucked as well, but the majority of the notes would be bowed.

For reference, in case anyone cares, the "arabic" feel is present due to the plucked quality of the notes combined with augmented second intervals. This interval is easily-associated with middle- and far-eastern music, and the plucking quality sets the music firmly in the former category, due to the prevalence of plucked, not bowed, string instruments in the middle east - India, Iran etc.

I hope these comments are helpful.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 01:30:06 PM »
Thanks for that, Fightest. That was indeed helpful. One thing:

I'm not really certain what you're trying to show with the augmented second intervals that show up in the first major motif, the one that gives that "arabic feel," as mentioned upthread. If you're trying to emulate sounds possibly heard from an erhu, bear in mind that it's a bowed instrument, thus the sounds it makes will be long and legato. To be fair, it's easily plucked as well, but the majority of the notes would be bowed.

The erhu was actually supposed to be the reverbed strings that play in the background throughout the entire piece. The "arabic" sounding melody was to add to the mystery of her story; scattered, largely unknown, pieces found here and there.

I have newly obtained a synth called ZynAddSubFX. The difference between it and Buzzmachines is, with Buzzmachines I had to program the notes I wanted to play into the thing, and then press "Go", but with Zyn, my actual laptop keyboard can be played like a keyboard. I expect this will make future pieces sound more fluid, natural and cohesive.

It's a learning process, eh? The praise and suggestions both help in this. So thanks!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Fightest

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 02:17:32 PM »
The erhu was actually supposed to be the reverbed strings that play in the background throughout the entire piece. The "arabic" sounding melody was to add to the mystery of her story; scattered, largely unknown, pieces found here and there.

I actually figured the former bit soon after I posted, but it's good to have confirmation. As for the augmented seconds and mystery - you know what? It works. Westerners are less used to these motifs, so they'll have that sensation of being in a strange land, as it were, yet it's still melodic so as not to damage their fragile sensibilities. Just the right kind of music for mystery without fear of the unknown.

Tengukami

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 03:28:32 PM »
That's much appreciated, but I still look forward to being able to compose on a more intuitive instrument. The Zyn synth is amazing. I can't stop messing with it.

Anyone still following this thread: my next piece is going to have more layers, more melodies, more fluidity and more cohesion. Your input really helps me make better music, and for that I'm very grateful.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Tengukami

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 11:09:32 AM »
UPDATE: Alright, I've made up my mind. The next piece I'm going to do is a remix of Erhu Lost in the Code. Expect the same drums, bass, and the eerie stringed instrument in the background, but I'm going to create a much longer melody and chorus from it, and add piano, strings, organ, and other accents. If all goes well it should take a week.

Fightest

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 10:43:52 PM »
piano, strings, organ

They're all strong sounds with lots of personality, as I'm sure you already know, so be sure not to lose them in each other. Looking forward to the final result.

Tengukami

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »
They're all strong sounds with lots of personality, as I'm sure you already know, so be sure not to lose them in each other.

As it's shaping up so far, piano will be doing the driving melody, strings will be more in the background, doing longer chords, whilst the organ will be adding accents.

9/4

• Unbalanced meter
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 06:13:14 AM »
the same drums, bass, and the eerie stringed instrument ... add piano, strings, organ, and other accents.
If it is just as eerie as this thread's, then it should be fine. However, the connection between your bass notes and soprano notes are hanging by the string (quite literally) Is the "strings" going to be the regular violin, viola, cello, bass type? Or a one track synth strings? It's also interesting to use a single "wind-type" instrument (organ)-opposed to many, against strings and drums.

Of course, even if you know how to split melody and harmony, remember:
be sure not to lose them in each other.

Tengukami

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2009, 09:56:42 AM »
If it is just as eerie as this thread's, then it should be fine. However, the connection between your bass notes and soprano notes are hanging by the string (quite literally) Is the "strings" going to be the regular violin, viola, cello, bass type? Or a one track synth strings? It's also interesting to use a single "wind-type" instrument (organ)-opposed to many, against strings and drums.

The idea here is pretty much that the main melody - the oriental-sounding one - will be lengthened into a more fleshed-out, fun melody. This will be done in piano, and it will be up front. Strings (probably closer to violins than anything else, although not in a particularly high register) will do longer chords. They will be behind the piano - enough to provide a backdrop without overpowering the piano or getting lost in the eerie strings or the bass. Organ (tentatively - I might try some arpeggios instead) will just be adding accents here and there.

9/4

• Unbalanced meter
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2009, 12:21:54 AM »
Organ (tentatively - I might try some arpeggios instead) will just be adding accents here and there.
Lot's of versatility here [organ], so you need not worry about organ having unnatural sound or clashing horribly with the others.

Looking forward to listening to it!

BestKHparodies

Re: [Music] Rin Satsuki's Theme
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
The theme definitely does not sound like ZUN or Touhou at all. To me, it sounds as if Rin is trying to send a message to whomever is listening.

Nice work, it's not often that a song creeps me out this much, I was impressed. :D

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 05:11:26 PM »
i didnt expect amen breaks and orchestra hits with 200BPM but I didnt expect this either... there's not much happening in this song, is there?
I feel like a song does not need to sound ZUN-like to be good, but that instrument playing that tune designated by jana as arabic sounds bad. it could use some reverb.
so i'd say it needs a lot of work.
as for the arrange by roukanken, he seems to have put in what i felt was missing. but it still feels like nothing is happening...

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »
Some kind of a necromancy goin' 'round here. Rou's arrange is perfect for a final stage, that's why I used it. It has Fires of Hokkai vibes.

Drake

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2010, 07:31:26 PM »
i didnt expect amen breaks and orchestra hits with 200BPM but I didnt expect this either... there's not much happening in this song, is there?
I feel like a song does not need to sound ZUN-like to be good, but that instrument playing that tune designated by jana as arabic sounds bad. it could use some reverb.
so i'd say it needs a lot of work.
as for the arrange by roukanken, he seems to have put in what i felt was missing. but it still feels like nothing is happening...
Eh, wait until we get to Stage 6.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -