Author Topic: 東方 神霊廟 ~ Touhou Ten Desires [TRIAL], an article full of desires and SPOILERS!  (Read 275199 times)

opinions/thoughts/etc:

- maybe in the full version, latter spellcard bonuses may be worth not hypering on (I don't know if they're affected by point item value, though)
- regular spellcard capturing may be such an intermediate scoring example, for those who prefer less risks. Maybe, if spellcard bonuses are really affected by point item value, players would get to see some more meaningful texts when they capture latter spells :D
- attempting to score only after attaining an 1cc would make a lot of people to not discover the fun within scoring systems, and would mean that you need a good memory in order to play for score (which I don't have), or be rewarded a lot compared to those who don't have it. Though, there are also certain games which greatly reward those who practice latter stages (either through savestating or stage practice) before attempting full runs.. which most of the times mean that those who don't have a good enough memory for benefitting from stage practice/savestates (like I tried to, with Battle Garegga in STGT'09) will fall behind :(  (which also means that my favorite games for scoreplaying are also those which are improvisation-friendly, or at least have some intermediate scoring potential, I mean, not a "play perfectly or else you'll get nothing")
- about TD, I like the fact that you don't need to "be here" before enemies appear on the screen, like it would happen when trying to graze the bullets they shoot; just react as you see them, and no big penalty is had. (the hyper attaining seems more lenient than Crimzon Clover's Original Mode imho -- it's kinda difficult to pull Double Breaks where you want to)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
- about TD, I like the fact that you don't need to "be here" before enemies appear on the screen, like it would happen when trying to graze the bullets they shoot; just react as you see them, and no big penalty is had. (the hyper attaining seems more lenient than Crimzon Clover's Original Mode imho -- it's kinda difficult to pull Double Breaks where you want to)
Enemies in TD typically give up more spirits the earlier you kill them, so in a way you do get penalized for not "being there". This is also crucial for chaining gray spirits, since the window you have to keep killing enemies for them is not especially long.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Enemies in TD typically give up more spirits the earlier you kill them, so in a way you do get penalized for not "being there". This is also crucial for chaining gray spirits, since the window you have to keep killing enemies for them is not especially long.

but it's not an exponential penalty, just remain consistent through the stage and you can make up for the loss in spirits (and again, there's less cases of you not having hypers when you want to use them, compared to Double Breaks in CC), plus, there are bombs for chain keeping (which sometimes double in purpose for speedkilling like in stage 1, before the midboss), and lots of opportunities to pointblank bosses/midbosses. Grazing, on the other hand, can kill you if you don't memo the player/bullet hitboxes (mostly the latter, since these can lead to deaths even if you don't want to play for score), and limits the player's potential places on the screen way more than in TD/PoFV imho, since there are situations where you want to graze two or more streams which are perpendicular, and not memoing them means you lose them. Plus, point-blank and near point-blank grazing causing you to miss a lot of grazing if you're a few pixels away.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

The game will also give you more life spirits and bomb spirits if you kill the enemies quicker, I've noticed.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
The game will also give you more life spirits and bomb spirits if you kill the enemies quicker, I've noticed.
Only in the sense that killing them faster makes additional enemies with bomb/life parts appear. Each individual fairy only drops a set amount of fragments.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
The disc for the demo is released at Reitaisai, right?  Out of curiosity, does the CD cover and the CD itself ever reveal or foreshadow anything?  Also, is the demo the exact same as the downloadable one?

Thanks in advance!

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
The disc for the demo is released at Reitaisai, right?  Out of curiosity, does the CD cover and the CD itself ever reveal or foreshadow anything?  Also, is the demo the exact same as the downloadable one?

Thanks in advance!

In the past, the demo CDs have had a shot of a boss from the Stage 1 boss.  MoF demo had an Aki sister, SA had Yamame, UFO had Nazrin.

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
In the past, the demo CDs have had a shot of a boss from the Stage 1 boss.  MoF demo had an Aki sister, SA had Yamame, UFO had Nazrin.
This?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Looks like it.

I guess it's not the Stage 1 boss this time, but... extenuating circumstances? <_<;

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
I get a 404 on this. :<
Google image for 東方神霊廟 CD, because.. honestly there is no "good" image that would be ok for Wiki...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:43:52 PM by Berzul »

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
Putting Yuyuko on there wouldn't be fair to the new characters, since she's already had her game of fame. Now, where's my poster ad from Alphes drawing a borderline suggestive version of one of the characters (Yoshika in a nice burial robe, or something).

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
Okay, so it's Kyouko on the CD.

Still having that issue where the hyper mode background stays on after a trance is finished. Tried reinstalling, didn't work. Any suggestions?
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

gabrielwoj

• Is that someone did a 2D Touhou?
One problem:
I played Normal (on Trial mode of course) and it was too easy!
Probably the only Touhou that I will play as Hard (Yeah, I'm bad)
Image on the Avatar by: xephonia-d35lvsi

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
One problem:
I played Normal (on Trial mode of course) and it was too easy!
Probably the only Touhou that I will play as Hard (Yeah, I'm bad)

Keep in mind that it's only the first three stages. Traditionally the difficulty spike is in stage 4, so don't make any definite statements yet.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
That, and the difficulty has a lot to do in how you play. If you're playing for score, it's actually quite difficult, since you have to stay close to bosses and stay near the top of the screen to grab all the blue spirits. If you're just playing to get from stage one to stage six without continuing, then yeah, I would say it's pretty easy.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

TMiles

• Let's party!
Hi, I'm new, anyway did anyone see that Yuyuko third card is veeeery difficult to time out?

If not, just see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHHwNbVL4PI&feature=channel_video_title

My guess is that it's almost impossible =V

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
Well, that was on Lunatic. Watching from an observer's standpoint, it's possible, but playing and watching someone play are two different things. That said, it's just a trial; ZUN's been known to adjust the difficultly a little between the trial and final versions of his games (like Yuugi's spells from SA).

The thing with Yuugi's card is more that it was choking CPUs in the trial than anything else.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
That, and Marisa's bigger hitbox causing problems

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
Keep in mind that it's only the first three stages. Traditionally the difficulty spike is in stage 4, so don't make any definite statements yet.

I agree that the difficulty of the trial doesn't mean anything at all. I played the trial on Normal and it was no problem to no-death. I did notice that very few extra lives and extra bombs were awarded. Maybe it's possible to get 2 extra lives by some method, but I only got 1 after 3 stages and I was still far from the second one.
That might also change, who knows?
In TH 6-8, I always played with 5 lives (on Normal, tried Hard sometimes) and the game awarded quite a few extra ones. When TH 10 forced you to start with less lives, that kind of difficulty seemed a bit artificial to me (TH 10 was still not difficult to me because of its spellcards). Or maybe the option to have 5 lives made the prior games artificially easy for me?
Point is, difficulty can easily be adjusted. A player that stuck to a certain difficulty before might not need to crank it up for this game.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
You can get up to two extra lives and four bombs over the TD trial. All it takes is proper management of Trances, the easiest way being to use them when bomb/life fragments appear in the stage portions.

Starting with three lives in any Touhou game is considered the default, nothing artificial about that. Using more should only be considered if just starting out on a difficulty and wanting to unlock stages for later practice, but you shouldn't stick with it for too long.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
Well, that was on Lunatic. Watching from an observer's standpoint, it's possible, but playing and watching someone play are two different things. That said, it's just a trial; ZUN's been known to adjust the difficultly a little between the trial and final versions of his games (like Yuugi's spells from SA).

Yuugi's still hell to beat...

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
True, and I always prefer to use Marisa, because I like her personality more than Reimu's. Then again, I managed a 1LC in TD with Marisa, so I can work with the bigger hitbox.

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll403/jed9876/Touhou/not_dead.png
Is this a glitch/bug or something? Somehow, the background when you're on spirit world doesn't return to normal after I lost on the stage.

Anyway, the gameplay is really nice. I like the two new characters. And character-portraits are just...nice. I'm a bit worried since collecting lives are a bit difficult because you need 10 life spirits(5 in trance mode). But its still fun to play.

Probably waiting for the final version and of course, the English patch. I'm excited to see more characters, stages and music.

Also, anyone noticed that there is no Skip on the Key Config?
1CCs:
Normal: IN (6A and 6B), TD, DDC, UFO, MoF, SA, EoSD, PCB, PoFV, LoLK (Pointdevice, Legacy), HSiFS, WBaWC
Extra: MoF, DDC, UFO, IN, SA, TD, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

SMW Central Profile | MyAnimeList

Yuyuko Yakumo

• Carry me~ow
  • Rawr I eat your face with maaaaaagicalness
Also, anyone noticed that there is no Skip on the Key Config?
That's because you can skip by holding down the shot button now.
I know, I know. I'll get a real avatar and signature soon. -_-

Oh, neat. I thought it was the trance button.
I'm aware that the Skip button on keyboard is still Ctrl(didn't remember).
1CCs:
Normal: IN (6A and 6B), TD, DDC, UFO, MoF, SA, EoSD, PCB, PoFV, LoLK (Pointdevice, Legacy), HSiFS, WBaWC

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll403/jed9876/Touhou/not_dead.png
Is this a glitch/bug or something? Somehow, the background when you're on spirit world doesn't return to normal after I lost on the stage.
You're the second one to encounter that error. Can you reproduce it? And is it always with Reimu?

Uh, no. It's with all characters that I use. Kinda feel bored when the background doesn't return to normal :V
1CCs: