Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)  (Read 431042 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #750 on: July 29, 2013, 02:38:18 AM »
FYI, here's a summary about the Princess Who Wore a Bowl:

Once, there was an old man who wanted a daughter. He prayed to the Kannon of Hase Temple, and his wife gave birth to a daughter. When her mother passed away, Kannon told the daughter to put a big bowl on her head. When she did, the bowl was stuck and couldn't be taken down.

The girl was mistreated by her stepmother. She attempted to drown herself, but the bowl kept her from sinking. She was rescued by an aristocrat, and became a servant in his family. The noble man's fourth son fell in love with the girl, but his mother was against marrying a woman of low birth. So his older brothers set up a contest: if she can win against all their wives, the son can marry her.

The night before the contest, the bowl broke, revealing her beautiful face. She won the contests of singing, dancing and knowledge. They lived happily ever after.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:18:13 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Monkeypro257

« Reply #751 on: July 30, 2013, 08:22:56 AM »
The silhouette from the TH14 cover makes me very curious!  :wat:

I'm just hoping that the 4,5,6th, and EX stages have new characters.

« Reply #752 on: July 31, 2013, 12:05:36 AM »
And yes, Japanese is hard to learn.

I think that learning Japanese really isn't that hard, but learning the alphabet, and remembering all the symbols, and what they mean, is the hard part.

So, challenge accepted, because I want to :)

cuc

« Reply #753 on: July 31, 2013, 02:59:31 AM »
The game is done.

ZUN's tweets today (July 31):

At 8 AM:
ZUN: I asked the wife to help with debugging, then it ended up lasting till this morning.

ZUN: The wife said the game was too hard, but I think it should be easy. I can average over 6 remaining lives at Normal.

At 11 AM:
ZUN: The CD was burnt. The bamboo grove was burnt.
Note: the second sentence is a palindrome. It reads the same in reverse: takeyabu yaketa.

Monkeypro257

« Reply #754 on: July 31, 2013, 03:10:36 AM »
YES! The game is finally finished! Let's see the new characters, ZUN!

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
« Reply #755 on: July 31, 2013, 03:37:22 AM »
Takeyabu Yaketa?

is it the name of stage 6 boss or extra stage boss? whatever.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #756 on: July 31, 2013, 09:56:45 AM »
ZUNwife seems to be a devoted debugger / playtester for him. Always useful to have such a person around.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Touhou 14 - Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #757 on: July 31, 2013, 12:32:33 PM »
ZUN himself, the dude who made the game, has 6 lives after a 1cc.

I don't know if this means the game will be very hard or very easy.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #758 on: July 31, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »
He said it'd be easy BECAUSE of that. I'm banking on a big UFO-like difficulty spike between the difficulties, though.

« Reply #759 on: July 31, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »
Did he specify difficulty? If not, one can always guess that he might've been playing a lower one? Or maybe that he's reasonably adept at his own game and know how to squeeze a good chunk of resources out of it.

Or maybe i'm just grasping at straws because I really don't want to see my favorite doujin developer fall even deeper.

« Reply #760 on: July 31, 2013, 01:35:22 PM »
He specified that he averaged 6 lives after a 1cc on normal.
But maybe lunatic will be a lot harder.
It might be like PCB in terms of difficulty.
Currently a normal player

« Reply #761 on: July 31, 2013, 01:58:30 PM »
Well, having him die that much on Normal mode might be a good sign maybe? Normal modes are usually extremely easy to no-miss after all. Then again, I don't know anything about ZUN's capability so maybe it's just that ZUN sucks.  :V

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #762 on: July 31, 2013, 02:02:58 PM »
Well, having him die that much on Normal mode might be a good sign maybe? Normal modes are usually extremely easy to no-miss after all. Then again, I don't know anything about ZUN's capability so maybe it's just that ZUN sucks.  :V

IIRC, on one of the interviews done to him, he was asked if he was any good at Lunatic, and he responded something among the lines of "Well, someone has to test for bugs on lunatic, after all"
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

Tengukami

« Reply #763 on: July 31, 2013, 02:08:13 PM »
Well, having him die that much on Normal mode might be a good sign maybe? Normal modes are usually extremely easy to no-miss after all.
That's my thinking, too.

I mean he made the game, and still finished Normal with six lives? I think the prevailing theory that there's going to be a steep ramp-up in difficulty for the latter three stages might prove true.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #764 on: July 31, 2013, 02:18:02 PM »
I hope so.

« Reply #765 on: July 31, 2013, 03:02:16 PM »
Or there are very few resources.
I, myself, am really bad at Touhou and can only 1cc on easy with an average of 1 life left.
So I hope the game is on the easy side in easy mode and normal, and on the hard side for hard and lunatic. Like TD.
Currently a normal player

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #766 on: July 31, 2013, 03:10:26 PM »
There won't be a shortage in resources. However it seems you guys are underestimating thd strength of a 6 spare finish run.

Tengukami

« Reply #767 on: July 31, 2013, 03:16:29 PM »
Sure, from any other player, BT. But from the guy who made the game? Sounds like it'll be tough.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #768 on: July 31, 2013, 03:20:08 PM »
See what I said in the other thread. He said it was easy.

Tengukami

« Reply #769 on: July 31, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »
Again, you are ignoring this is the guy who made the game.

Put another way: how your average player finishing Normal with 6 lives holds up is one thing. That's pretty good, though not stellar. Now consider this is the guy who wrote the actual code for the game, who made it from scratch, finishing this same way. I think it's pretty uncontroversial to see this as a significant and telling indication that the latter stages are probably pretty hard. That's "indication", by the way; not "iron clad proof".

But we'll all know in a matter of days anyway.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:57:24 PM by Tengukami »

cuc

« Reply #770 on: July 31, 2013, 04:05:48 PM »
Toooo be fair, the original sentence has no subject (Japanese grammar, you know). It could be that ki-san (his wife) is the one who averaged 6 lives remaining at Normal, despite complaining about difficulty.

Tengukami

« Reply #771 on: July 31, 2013, 04:06:52 PM »
Toooo be fair, the original sentence has no subject (Japanese grammar, you know). It could be that ki-san (his wife) is the one who averaged 6 lives remaining at Normal, despite complaining about difficulty.
That would be a totally different story, yes.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #772 on: July 31, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »
I agree that it's not proof but it's hard to argue with the opinion of the guy who made the entire series. :V But yes this is pretty pointless.

« Reply #773 on: July 31, 2013, 06:36:23 PM »
I just had a crazy thought, maybe I can look back at it when the full game is released and have a laugh.

The weird thing around her could be some sort of spinning wheel, and her right hand gesture is because she pricked her finger, or indicates sewing/weaving, or something like that. Maybe we are looking at a Sleeping Beauty / Princess Who Wore a Bowl character mix here. Mostly, I thought of this because of the title of the game, Eastern Castle of Shining Needles.

Alternatively, this is another drunk Oni and she is wearing a bowl just because.

Or maybe that's not a bowl at all, when comparing actual character art to the silhouettes it's easy to see how you could interpret things differently and miss tiny details. Kinda like when I thought Miko was holding a scythe when it was in fact two separate things.

« Reply #774 on: August 01, 2013, 03:23:25 AM »
C'mon guys don't overthink him getting 6 lives remaining on a 1cc.  I mean, there IS a MarisaB availiable and he didn't say who he played as. 

« Reply #775 on: August 01, 2013, 03:35:29 AM »
Time to interrupt this conversation in order to make an outlandish claim, so that I can declare myself supreme overlord of predictions if I happen to be right:

Remilia will be the Extra midboss.

*rides off into the night*

Drake

« Reply #776 on: August 01, 2013, 05:06:22 AM »
C'mon guys don't overthink him getting 6 lives remaining on a 1cc.  I mean, there IS a MarisaB availiable and he didn't say who he played as.
It would be even worse if he didn't balance out MarisaB.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #777 on: August 01, 2013, 05:27:17 AM »
Provided that MarisaB still retains the strongest forward-focus type in the game, I can deal with the bomb being nerfed.
I mean, ReimuB might be the Needle Reimu but she still has homing properties. Although, maybe SakuyaB could deserve a stronger focused shot?

Drake

« Reply #778 on: August 01, 2013, 06:23:46 AM »
ReimuA's bomb needs a bit more range, and a bit more oomph to deserve the range and wacky movement you get during it. Her shottype is good enough as it is; possibly too good. Having both an omnidirectional superhoming shot and a strong homing area-specific shot gives you access to tons of stage planning and in general is pretty game-flattening.

ReimuB's needles need to do more damage, maybe. Everything else is fine.

MarisaA is pretty much fine as she is.

MarisaB's bomb needs to be massively nerfed on the invul / bullet cancel (i.e. the period it's on screen), and the power item spawning. I think it's a good utility bomb and could be done well if its overwhelming brokenness is fixed. I currently use MarisaB and feel incredibly guilty every time I bomb. Her shots are fine.

SakuyaA's focus shot is cool, but much too powerful for the utility it gives you. Homing, enemy slowdown, explosion damage? This shouldn't be nearly as strong as it is. On the other hand, her unfocus shot you might as well never use because of how overwhelmingly better her focus shot is.

SakuyaB needs some buffing. The unfocus shot is actually fine (as it is with A), but her focus shot is in dire need of help, especially at lower powers. I think it's intended to give you a Galuda feel to it, but at this point it's more like you're using Ageha's shot with Tateha's rapier. The shottype itself is great (a bit of coverage on her sides and behind her would be nice), but it's so underwhelming I left her for MarisaB just because her shot actually has some power behind it. I think it would really benefit from additional shotgun damage as well, which would pair nicely with her bomb, which is also super cool. I'd say the stars you get back might be better off as just two, but really it just needs to be balanced against how much MarisaB gets.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:27:43 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #779 on: August 01, 2013, 06:54:05 AM »
Speaking of SakuyaA, I read somewhere that the explosion/slower speed causes the bosses to shoot less bullets. It's probably bs, but it's worth an ask.