Author Topic: [Art]Imosa's - /r/parahumans theme  (Read 58351 times)

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
Re: [Art]Imosa's - Button Help
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 06:04:24 AM »
Still working on stuff but not getting anything significant done. Just sort of bouncing between stuff. A chain of annoying things happening over the past 3 weeks mean the buttons still haven't been made but I'll have another opportunity soon.

Hmm... The Komeijis sound perfect for this kind of thing. The cords of their respective Third Eyes would work fine for borders, wouldn't they? Hearts would be nice too.

Oh and Tenshi is adorable. :3
Yes, they might look good as a pair but I thought of something much more interesting (plus I don't want to do the same think twice without a good twist).

I decided I wanted to try taking two buttons and linking them with a piece of plastic gift wrap string, then threading the resulting mess around my backpack, making it look like I had one of those little alien things riding on my back. Anyway, Koishi got in the mix so now she's here too. The question is mainly with the giant heart picture. How can I make the blue (which I think is the color of the string, I found) not clash horrible with the color palette from the Koishi picture? Also are there any tips on finding the actual color of the string seeing as it's kinda shiny?

Another note: Should I be putting gradient shading on the big heart? The picture of Koishi doesn't have gradient shading (except on the skirt) so shouldn't that make it look wrong?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:08:40 AM by Imosa »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »
How can I make the blue (which I think is the color of the string, I found) not clash horrible with the color palette from the Koishi picture? Also are there any tips on finding the actual color of the string seeing as it's kinda shiny?

How about change the button background to a light-blue color, so the blue colors won't clash. Also the pink lines at the border seems to suit well with blue background :P

Another note: Should I be putting gradient shading on the big heart? The picture of Koishi doesn't have gradient shading (except on the skirt) so shouldn't that make it look wrong?

I think that you should put because it is a big shape, I think that Koishi's skirt has gradient shading because it is the biggest part of that drawing, if it was without shading it would look too simple. A simple white-blue circular gradient  starting from the heart's center should be fine.
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Imosa

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2012, 06:49:01 AM »
My plan sorta failed, Halloween happened and the button machine was not available so I wait another week. I did take your advice Kaze_Senshi, thanks a lot.
Now I realized I might as well post what I have in case any other suggestions come up so here:

lol, I was wondering why Koishi looked so big up there. These are sized at 72ppi, but maybe I'll be able to print at something better.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:50:55 AM by Imosa »

Imosa

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2012, 10:04:21 PM »
Well, that was a day.
Ok so Maribel and Renko didn't work out at all. Turns out 72 ppi prints like shit. Koishi worked though. Unfortunately it was windy and I think the person I was working with got impatient so the strings aren't lined up properly. If you can't tell the string/chord goes in between the front and back of the button so all three buttons are permanently connected. Koishi now sits comfortably on my shoulder, wherever I go.

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2012, 10:32:38 PM »
Looks like it turned out pretty well. Have you considered a Satori one?

Turns out 72 ppi prints like shit.

72 ppi is indeed terrible for the size of pictures that you're printing out. The images that I'm printing out for my shirts have 200 - 300 ppi, but I think you should have your images at maybe 300 or more. (Because you're printing a much smaller picture.) Although I'm not really an expert on the matter, so you shouldn't take my words too seriously.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:36:58 PM by Aoshi-shi »
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2012, 10:43:49 AM »
Oh noes VGA camera picture

Have you considered a Satori one??

Also have you considered to use a rubber tube instead of the blue string? Something like this but more flexible.

My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Imosa

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2012, 04:04:10 PM »
I have considered a Satori one but 1) I only have one more week, 2) I'd need to make 7 buttons at once and the person making the buttons already didn't like me making 3 at once, 3) I don't want her trying to line up stuff again (I would have loved to do it myself) 4) I've done it once already, It's practically a quota by my standards.
Also that tube looks really thick. I'd have to get a little creative on where I put it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 01:05:03 AM by Imosa »

Imosa

Re: [Art]Imosa's - Vector figure
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2012, 01:31:08 PM »
I thought my anime club could use a mascot so I began making one. I currently hate her because she looks generic as fuck even in my head. However, I was really happy when I made a face that looks right so tell me what you think of my work so far. I've done most of the work on the head with some lazy shadows on the rest of her. Also I didn't hands that hard.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 01:34:54 PM by Imosa »

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2012, 05:24:15 PM »
yeap, it's pretty plain for an anime club's mascot. what the otaku club at my school did was to throw random common steorotypes together for their five mascots, for example, one has the teto vocaloid's hair style while another has brs's hairstyle and colour scheme

also, I think the more anime styled tenshi style would work better since.. anime club :v a kimono is a good idea for the outfit, but maybe not white, that coupled with the long hair reminds me of an asian ghost? ow o

also if you're going with the kimono idea i suggest you get a random texture from pixiv :3c 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:26:42 PM by pasu »

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2012, 06:36:59 PM »
also, I think the more anime styled tenshi style would work better since.. anime club :v a kimono is a good idea for the outfit, but maybe not white, that coupled with the long hair reminds me of an asian ghost? ow o

Yeap, or a chibi-version of the girl that you draw. Now your mascot can make the people think that you have Hinata from Naruto as a mascot from your club  :V
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Imosa

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2012, 03:20:18 AM »
yeap, it's pretty plain for an anime club's mascot. what the otaku club at my school did was to throw random common steorotypes together for their five mascots, for example, one has the teto vocaloid's hair style while another has brs's hairstyle and colour scheme

also if you're going with the kimono idea i suggest you get a random texture from pixiv :3c
Yeah, I'm still working on it and rather I hate the whole thing. It's hair is... boring, it's clothes are... boring and it has no personality. Also it wasn't so much requested as I decided to make it. How is my Tenshi more anime styled?

Yeap, or a chibi-version of the girl that you draw. Now your mascot can make the people think that you have Hinata from Naruto as a mascot from your club  :V
That's ugh... crap. Also I don't want to make chibi.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:25:43 AM by Imosa »

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
Yeah, I'm still working on it and rather I hate the whole thing. It's hair is... boring, it's clothes are... boring and it has no personality. Also it wasn't so much requested as I decided to make it. How is my Tenshi more anime styled?

compare the proportions owob

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

pineyappled

« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2012, 04:31:55 PM »
snip
p sure you just traced that guy's drawing and called it a day :V

(Also, button-making probably doesn't belong here if you're using other people's stuff.)

Imosa

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2012, 05:55:02 AM »
p sure you just traced that guy's drawing and called it a day :V

(Also, button-making probably doesn't belong here if you're using other people's stuff.)
That's not entirely true. On one hand yes, I did trace bodies for both Tenshi and my figure above. However, the time I spent afterwards far outweighs the time it took to trace them. The figure above is also a WIP, of which the only part I was really interested in was the head, I just figured I'd post the body as well since I did try making some clothes and it was part of the picture already.
As for the buttons, perhaps. The point was never to showcase other people's stuff, but instead to get some advice on what I was doing. Then I posted the last picture just to follow up and show it was done.
I really don't want to look like I'm taking credit for other peoples stuff which means we may have to address derivatives since, if you haven't noticed, all of what I do is derivative.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2012, 01:14:57 PM »
It's still creativity. It's like taking sprites you find online and crocheting or knitting them into a sweater. Y'might not've come up with the picture yerself, but you still put creative effort into presenting it, so it's perfectly acceptable in AAA. 'sides, Imosa's not claiming that he drew 'em himself.

pineyappled

« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2012, 08:24:27 PM »
I... disagree, but this isn't the place for that.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2012, 12:59:42 AM »
Disagree as you like, but for the purposes of AAA, button-making in this topic is a-ok.

Imosa

Re: [Art]Imosa's - Minecraft stuff
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2012, 06:37:07 AM »
So I've been on this new server called ShadeCrest (creative.shadecrest.com) and I've been making stuff for about two months, on and off so here is some stuff I've made along with it's /warp [name].

/warp OgreParty
This thing was pretty popular, despite some egregious anatomy, especially in the legs. Still I love it from the waist up.
http://i.imgur.com/47myT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m5jf4.png

Komachi (no /warp)
Establishing Touhou in a pony dominated pixel art world. I hate most everything about this picture, except the fact that it's Komachi.
http://i.imgur.com/y6wXi.png?1

/warp PalanquinShip
After being disappointed by the Palanquin Ships on two Touhou themed Minecraft servers I decided I could do better. This has a lot of my personal interpretation though.
http://imgur.com/a/26o0F#0
Also part of the reason I'm making this post is because I could really use some help, in case anyone knows something about ships. I can't decide on where to put the mast and if it should be longer.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:39:03 AM by Imosa »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: [Art]Imosa's - Minecraft Stuff
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »
Pretty neat stuff. Ogre looks fairly silly.

Now join us in our MC server :P

Also part of the reason I'm making this post is because I could really use some help, in case anyone knows something about ships. I can't decide on where to put the mast and if it should be longer.
BRB referring you to Sparda for ship information - he's made a pretty impressive one on server, and has plans for at least one more.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Imosa

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »
Pretty neat stuff. Ogre looks fairly silly.

Now join us in our MC server :P
BRB referring you to Sparda for ship information - he's made a pretty impressive one on server, and has plans for at least one more.
I quit the MotK MC server because I wanted to play creative mode. Also that would be great.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2012, 08:46:15 PM »
Ah, that's fine.

I've told Sparda about this, and he suggests you send him a PM (he's under the name BlackSparda here) with any questions you may have.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Imosa

Re: [Art]Imosa's - Halloween flavored Kogasa and Reddit
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »
Hey I've got something to post. I've actually recently started doing some art again. Mainly stuff to help out Reddit. For Halloween I made a whole theme which I actually took down before it was done. However, I still have my favorite part. This Halloween themed Kogasa:

The form came from domaso.
Other parts of the layout included Yoshika rising from the grave at anyone who tried to click the tombstone submit buttons, and a little surprise if someone checked out the moon too closely.

If you want to see whatever I'm working on, my workshop is /r/touhoutest. Right now I have the beginnings of a fall theme going. Hopefully that will be done soon. 
For one of my more completed works, which I'm very proud of, you can check out /r/thestrongest9ball.

Also, you may notice the PatchCon sprites on /r/touhou. I actually made a few of those, off of PatchCon's form (because I'm still not original enough to make my own art). Here is a list of all of them and essentially I edited the TD cast, and made everything after that, myself. 

I find that my problem with pixel art, and to some extent all mediums, is color selection. For example, one thing that makes making the PatchCon sprites hard is the feeling that I have to stay within the color pallet already presented to me. This is very important in pixel art because it unifies all the individual parts. However, there are times when diverging from the preselected colors is acceptable (Hatate might have been a good time), and that's when I'm hopelessly lost. While working on the Fall layout, I never would have put that green into the scroll had I not looked at some work done for me by another artist. Green is a color I would have never thought of. 
Does this problem make sense to people? Any suggestions on how to get more comfortable with color selection? 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:35:40 PM by Imosa »

Imosa

Re: [Art]Imosa's - Fall Reddit theme
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2013, 01:08:06 AM »
Wanted to update with my latest work. A fall theme for the touhou reddit.

I am happy to report that the Aki sisters are in as close to my own style as anything I've posted in recent history. I was contacted by the person who's style I was copying and they were not happy. I made adjustments so there wouldn't be any confusion as to who had made the art. *sigh* The first time I hear back from a japanese artist and this is what they say. Unfortunate. 

Also, here is a larger version of the icon. I probably put more detail into it then was necessary.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:18:22 AM by Imosa »

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
The first time I hear back from a japanese artist and this is what they say. Unfortunate. 
uhm duh you're supposed to ask for permission in the first place.......
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

Imosa

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2013, 05:37:23 AM »
uhm duh you're supposed to ask for permission in the first place.......
*shrug*
-=+Edit+=-
I feel like I need to clarify that response. It's very easy to get into the habit of not asking for permission when you don't expect retribution anyway. I've told tons of people that I use their work for less then pure means and none of them ever message me back. We also don't have to act like piracy isn't a thing. 
In sum, you say "duh" but it's not obvious for practical reasons.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:42:16 AM by Imosa »

Imosa

« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2014, 03:52:53 PM »
Its been a while since I've had something worth posting but is my latest work. My Shelby Cobra - Cirno Itasha. There are some higher quality pictures in the comments. I really like the way it turned out although I could have tried harder on the interior. 
Modeled by Flipout (wrdgrg@yahoo.com)

Texture by Imosa (maestroalvis@gmail.com)
Created using Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/en/), Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/), and DXTBmp (http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm)

Cirno, Nitori, and Chiriden are property of Team Shanghai Alice (http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/)
Mighty No. 9 is property of Comcept inc. (http://www.comcept.co.jp/en/)
Significant artistic work by Rosana Margarida (http://munchkinworks.tumblr.com/post/60021057451/mightyno9-cirnoedition)

pineyappled

« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2014, 05:52:20 PM »
Did you ask them if you could use their art? :V

Imosa

« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2014, 10:13:37 PM »
Did you ask them if you could use their art? :V
Some of those people, yes. Flipout and ZUN doen't need to be asked, Comcept inc., I did not ask, and Rosana Margarida never messaged me back.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:20:52 PM by Imosa »

Imosa

Re: [Art]Imosa's - Picture needs more depth
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2014, 11:28:06 PM »
So I've got this vector image. Its supposed to be a letter and a pinned fly, haphazardly placed on some kind of indiscriminate wooden object, like a table, perhaps. And it's being looked at by, like, a 45 degree angle. What I feel I can' do, is the 45 degree angle part.

First of all, I know there's not much of a light source thus far, I'm doing that next. That'll be some shading on the fly, the wood block, and the wax seal, and shadows for everyone. I feel even after I do that this problem will persist. Second, the color gradient on the wooden background, is just there to fix the color palate of the banner while I work on the CSS for the reddit.
I'm defaulting to my knowledge of vanishing points which is telling me to make all lines horizontal or go through the vanishing point, but if that prevents the haphazard look I'm going for. I feel like the issue is the wooden background... I just don't really know what to do with it.

Can I get some help with this?

If your curious I'm working on this theme for /r/parahumans and you can see it now on /r/Imosa.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
Re: [Art]Imosa's - Picture needs more depth
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2014, 03:47:46 AM »
I think you shoud start with a shadow on the background.
Also, to show it's an image in an image, you may add some kind of border to the inner one.
And, depending on its material and overall lightning, there may be some gloss here.

Though, I can also be just totally wrong.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.