Author Topic: 東方蒼神縁起 -残暑- The Genius of Sappheiros Translation Thread 2 Weekend Patch  (Read 417791 times)

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Re: 東方蒼神縁起 -残暑- ~ The Genius of Sappheiros Translation Thread 2
« Reply #450 on: February 03, 2012, 10:56:41 PM »
http://puu.sh/fBeO
http://puu.sh/fBeX

Numbers in general are minorly messed up. But it's not the fault of the english patch (Japanese'd looks the same). We might see a 2.09 because of this :V

edit:Dear jesus running away for farming items/yukkuris/skills/etc adds up to a LOT of runs in comparison to victories.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:11:31 PM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #451 on: February 04, 2012, 05:24:22 AM »
Woah, your run away rate is nuts. Mines is much less, as I am usually in the kill everything mentality.

Edit: Okay, I updated to 2.08 and it is a lot smoother now. Also, it seems to work fine without needing compatibility. Also, after you update,
make sure you run the save conversion file, otherwise it will crash.

Another Edit: I should mention it here. It seems like at max land the "extreme" kanji is HUGE.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:53:51 AM by Starxsword »

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #452 on: February 06, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »
I too can attest that its smoother than it once was. Though, while you don't need it anymore, (afaik) it forcecloses if you try to run it with Applocale.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

« Reply #453 on: February 15, 2012, 02:53:47 AM »
updating from 2.06 -> 2.07 effectively kills my audio :( any ideas why this is happening?

Edit: updating from 2.06 to 2.07 changes the volume settings  :blush:  ( how in earth i didn't think of that earlier ) :(
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:07:43 AM by Nameless Myon »

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #454 on: February 16, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »
Um... just to give you all a heads up, while I went to get patch 2.08  for Genius of Sapphieros for a friend who was faithfully waiting for the game to be translated.

I saw that they updated to patch 2.09 on Valentines Day.

I'll post the notes here that I translated by Google Translator since, I'm not good with Japanese...  if I miss anything let me know.

http://www.gensoukyou.org/bose02/update.html

-------------------------
Ver2.09

By updating to the latest version, bug and performance is improved. The main fixes are as follows.

.   Fixed some display such as a "pole" of the lands meter, the problem was funny image display.
 .   Was to reduce the VRAM of the epilogue.

----------------------------------
So, apparently they fixed the Land meter's kanji and reduced the VRAM of the epilogue.

I would go back to playing GoS but, I'm really hooked on DoD.  :derp:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:27:06 PM by MewMewHeart »
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

« Reply #455 on: February 26, 2012, 04:37:52 AM »
Patch for 2.09 http://www.mediafire.com/?hwfe9kaur3d08c3
Hopefully this was the last one. Going to start putting stuff together for DoD.

« Reply #456 on: February 26, 2012, 04:41:15 AM »
Cool.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #457 on: February 26, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »
Hooray 2.09! We love you.

Going to start putting stuff together for DoD.
SO HYPE
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #458 on: February 26, 2012, 07:06:10 PM »
Yay, no more huge Kanji hogging up the land meter~!  :*

Going to start putting stuff together for DoD.

It's about dam time!  :V

Go go go and take your time, weeding out bugs too!!!  :3
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:13:36 PM by MewMewHeart »
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

So, I looked around for a translation thread on DoD before it's too late (hopefully) and found this.

Professional Japanese-to-English translator here. Haven't done much in the way of translating games, admittedly, though I've done a significant chunk of Age of Exploration (the Koei game) and some horse-racing game that the world is better off forgetting. Hopefully that'll count for something, but probably not.

DoD is one of the few fangames that I've really, really enjoyed, to the point that I finished it two days ago and I'm doing another playthrough already. As such, I'd really like to work on any possible translation project, but I'm absolutely rubbish at any of the coding side of things, which will inevitably get involved in fan translations. Is there still any space on this team, and if so, could you please consider letting me join (albeit strictly as a turn-words-into-other-words-guy, with no fiddly code nonsense)?

Thanks in advance.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Wait, what's DoD? I did a search but only got matches for pocket wars for some reason.
Just searched wiki's entire list and figure its devil of decline, looks good! Exciting, thanks again for all your work.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:29:02 PM by Ghaleon »

Wait, what's DoD? I did a search but only got matches for pocket wars for some reason.
Just searched wiki's entire list and figure its devil of decline, looks good! Exciting, thanks again for all your work.

Assuming this gets translated, you have a lot to look forward to. It's miles ahead of GoS, quality-wise. Bit of a daft English title, but then, that goes for its predecessor as well.

By the way, I think I recognize you from my (ancient) translation attempt thread for Fantasy Maiden Wars. About a year ago, I believe - just checked on it again recently. Sorry I vanished back then, computer sort of came apart at the seams. Should be a little more reliable this time, though!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
It's miles ahead of GoS, quality-wise.
Well, it's a lot different from GoS. The main similarities are only the elements, many of the attacks, and the delay/limited move selection system, so they aren't super comparable in fun-ness to eachother. It's also short and casual compared to GoS being difficult, high strategy oriented and quite long. I do wonder how the expansion will turn out though.

The graphical quality is a lot higher, yeah. Although I love GoS's detailed but slightly pixely style too. And DoD's attack animations in many cases seem to be a good bit less, well, how to explain... but that might change in the expansion release! It's still great, it's just more casual, which isn't a bad thing! I'm super looking forward to playing it.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Eh I like deep strategy in my RPGs, so I'm not sure if I'll be sold as much but it will be super cool seeing the entire cast in a game for a change. I know only some of them are fully playable but I figure the shikigami system or whatever is going to be more significant than a piece of armor or whatever.

Well, it's a lot different from GoS. The main similarities are only the elements, many of the attacks, and the delay/limited move selection system, so they aren't super comparable in fun-ness to eachother. It's also short and casual compared to GoS being difficult, high strategy oriented and quite long. I do wonder how the expansion will turn out though.

The graphical quality is a lot higher, yeah. Although I love GoS's detailed but slightly pixely style too. And DoD's attack animations in many cases seem to be a good bit less, well, how to explain... but that might change in the expansion release! It's still great, it's just more casual, which isn't a bad thing! I'm super looking forward to playing it.

I suppose casual is one way to put it. Personally, I think it's just as strategic and just less spiteful, in that if you die here, it's more likely to be your fault than because the game was having a bad day. Both games are difficult and rather deep, but DoD is sporting while GoS hates you and everything you stand for. At least, that's how I feel, but it's entirely possible that I'm just awful at playing the older of the two. I sort of gave up somewhere around Muenzuka, partly due to actually being curious about the plot before that, learning it as all down to OCs and being highly disappointed. The plot of DoD was revealed quickly enough to avoid giving me unreasonable expectations, and the gameplay was fun, so I kept at it. Still brutal in the endgame, though.

Anyway. Sorry if I upset anyone with that comment, it's probably more accurate to say that I prefer DoD by a great deal. To me, the two games do feel rather similar, but I agree that past the surface, they're quite different. One thing I do prefer from GoS is how every character was considerably more distinct, as opposed to "well, they have different stats and Last Words, I guess". Much as I like the shikigami system, it reminds me of FF7~8 a little, in that aside from base stats (admittedly, even DoD is better about this than FF games), characters were pretty much interchangeable. Oh well.

In any case, should anyone be willing to take on an extra translator, I would be happy to help. Not sure who's in charge of the project, so I figure my best bet is asking here.

By the way, does the need for mod approval on each post go for everyone, or is it a side-effect of being new here?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Just new people I guess. There was no newbie-specific treatment back when I was new aside from the "what is Reimu's last name" skill testing question. But I certainly don't need mod approval now, nor have I ever.

About GoS being fair or mean or whatever. Quite frankly I didn't really think it was mean most of the time for bosses. Trash can be mean sometimes though. Like those mind flayer things. I mean yeah you can compensate by having reimu in the party casting evil sealing circle every turn so that you woudln't be stunned, but it kinda stinks that you flat out NEED reimu to NOT possibly be insta-owned by certain groups of enemies who can potentially screw your whole party in the first turn.

I also stopped playing right before the final boss because I found it awfully luck based and frusterating. I mean the boss randomly decides to stone AND confuse the whole party. And even with items that give star-outline quality resistance to those ailments, not to mention RES gear if I have the space, I STILL wind up with like 4/5 of my party stoned or confused each and every time she does it. Would be fair if you know.. you could predict it (aside from the turn 1 one that is), but no, it's random (and god forbid she casts it faster than evil sealing circles COOLDOWN).

I did eventually beat her, but it was not very fun to be slogging at such a luck based fight for so long, and when I did...I uhh.. well... Elsword finally got released so I kinda stopped cold turkey. I do intend to play thru the expansion though.

Anyway, while I quit I noticed something extremely odd and debilitating in my playthru. I noticed Sakuya was utterly useless for the final boss. like... she'd miss...EVERYTHING. I even crafted a head-shot goggle IV (is that what it was called?), and wore a III as well (or was it II cuz I consumed the III to make the IV?)...Basically though, I maxed out her hit as much as possible, and it blew the socks off of everyone else.. But even when I used her 8-hit spellcard or something. miss,miss,miss,miss,miss,miss,miss,miss.... Meanwhile my other physical attackers such as youmu, despite having far less hit, had no issues hitting the boss.

I'm thinking the only explanation is the sword I got sakuya is cursed or something. I made her that ice-sword or whatever it was.. High end sword, the very top-tier one that doesn't require a golden platter or rare drop. But the highest grade one that unlocks naturally via story. I seem to recall it slays nothing at all, but had great stats.

But yeah, either the final boss has a "sakuya is useless for no reason at all" aura, or that sword has a hidden "I can't hit the broad side of a planet" thing with the boss. If anybody knows I'd greatly appreciate it.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Youmu's Moon Reflecting Paschal whatever just has a really high accuracy bonus (-really- high), while all of Sakuya's multihit actually have a accuracy DETRIMENT. The last form of the final boss has pretty high evasion.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Re: DoD v GoS difficulty

Genius of Sappheiros sported an incredibly high difficulty that even scared me a little bit, and I've finished some incredibly difficult games myself. The main issue with Genius of Sappheiros' difficulty is a lot of it requires inane amounts of grinding in order to actuate the "deep strategy" required to beat some bosses. By the time you supersede that grinding stage, it is only then and there that the game becomes reasonably easy, whereas DoD's difficulty is a lot more balanced and requires more thought than it does grind (though grinding DOES help speed things up, it is in no way necessary). GoS is significantly more SaGa-like in difficulty while DoD adapts some of the more friendly SaGa aspects and throws out a bunch of the unfairness, though if there's still one thing that makes DoD brutal later on it's the absurdity of the random enemy stats - why the fuck are randoms in DoD endgame so freaking high-powered for no reason? The difficulty curve spikes are insane in that game. That is pretty much the only real gripe I can point out here (for me, personally, YMMV).

Re; Cogwheel (edit)

Nice to see a professional translator on board! I'm an amateur Japanese-to-English and Chinese-to-English translator myself (Chinese being my 1st language and Japanese my 3rd), and I've worked on some games, stories and mangoes. I actually did part of the initial work on Genius of Sappheiros before having to hop off due to university concerns (and I did some translation for MotK's Story of Eastern Wonderland ENG patch) and I think it's safe to say that all translators are welcome ;P
Hope to work with ya sometime.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:48:00 PM by trancehime »

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Re: DoD v GoS difficulty

Genius of Sappheiros sported an incredibly high difficulty that even scared me a little bit, and I've finished some incredibly difficult games myself. The main issue with Genius of Sappheiros' difficulty is a lot of it requires inane amounts of grinding in order to actuate the "deep strategy" required to beat some bosses. By the time you supersede that grinding stage, it is only then and there that the game becomes reasonably easy, whereas DoD's difficulty is a lot more balanced and requires more thought than it does grind (though grinding DOES help speed things up, it is in no way necessary). GoS is significantly more SaGa-like in difficulty while DoD adapts some of the more friendly SaGa aspects and throws out a bunch of the unfairness, though if there's still one thing that makes DoD brutal later on it's the absurdity of the random enemy stats - why the fuck are randoms in DoD endgame so freaking high-powered for no reason? The difficulty curve spikes are insane in that game. That is pretty much the only real gripe I can point out here (for me, personally, YMMV).

Fantastic. So it's not just me, then. As far as I'm concerned, Labyrinth of Touhou (though I persevered there, and by "persevered" I mean "Cheat Engine") has the same issue. There is a good deal of strategy going on - more than most RPGs - and I really appreciate that. What I don't appreciate is the bits where they also go "this next part will require 30 more levels. Go murder things for a couple days." It's a shame, really. Etrian Odyssey - again, I at least finished and loved the third game here, despite its flaws - is also like this. For some reason, strategy/difficulty is seen as something which must necessarily include grinding, with the possible exception of SMT games. Baffling stuff.

And yes, some of the DoD fights do get a bit unreasonable later on. Angra comes to mind, though that can be cheesed to some degree. Still, even aside from that, a few enemies are rather brutal. Just from the final dungeon, more than anything else, the various types of mind flayers come to mind. And, of course, those tank-shaped paragons of fairness. Again, you can use some hilariously unsporting tactics yourself, but it does get a mite cruel. Still, that's at a bearable level, unlike GoS (Chireiden is the most amazingly Hague-worthy dungeon I've gone through in some time, and I say this as a roguelike player.)

Re; Cogwheel (edit)

Nice to see a professional translator on board! I'm an amateur Japanese-to-English and Chinese-to-English translator myself (Chinese being my 1st language and Japanese my 3rd), and I've worked on some games, stories and mangoes. I actually did part of the initial work on Genius of Sappheiros before having to hop off due to university concerns (and I did some translation for MotK's Story of Eastern Wonderland ENG patch) and I think it's safe to say that all translators are welcome ;P
Hope to work with ya sometime.

Well, you've caught a few dozen of my daft mistakes so far, to the point that I'm starting to suspect I would pretty much just slow you down. In other words, working with you is going nicely for me so far, but I suspect it's a little tiresome for you :P

I'm just glad I'm not stuck with Deranged's job. I do have a fair bit of experience with writing, so I could handle plot things, but... well, that is a lot of words.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
I never really thought GoS had a manditory grinding thing if you're lazy like me and opt not to bother with satori's blue magic learning (seriously, eff all her good spells having like a 1% learn rate..even the 5% ones I fail learning like 30 times in a row with 300% learn skill thing, wut the goodness?! I just make do with area heal, and 1 or 2 generic elemental nukes) But as I said I haven't played the expansion at all yet.

Labyrinth of Touhou requires no grinding at all except at 20f and 30f respectively. If you feel that's too much, ok (ok 30f I understand, that grindfest is stupid, but 20f is really not too bad, especially since all the trash there is very rewarding and challenging in a miniboss fun kinda way). I find most people who complain about Laby's grinding requirements think it requires it in areas where it doesn't though, and that's just them blaming non-existant poor balance (where it's actually extremely good!) instead of their own mistakes/inexperience/bad builds/whatever.

But anyway, one of my biggest beefs with the JRPG genre, that both labyrinth of Touhou and GoS "solves" is how boring and predictable trash encounters are. I mean in most rpgs trash is rarely ever a threat, you can blindfold yourself and just mash the ok button 100 times and get thru it without taking reasonable damage. What's the point? I laugh at the fools who complain about hard trash and actually think trash SHOULD be pointless and a timesink, yeah...ok. I'm satisfied with trash difficulty in laby and GoS, but if DoD is a step up further...I can't honestly say if I'll like it more or less, but I can say I'm looking forward to find out, and I AM sure regardless, even if I think they went too far, it'll STILL be better than the "blindfolded ok 100X" trash 99% of games have.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
The main issue with Genius of Sappheiros' difficulty is a lot of it requires inane amounts of grinding in order to actuate the "deep strategy" required to beat some bosses.
I actually never grinded once in GoS, apart from grabbing some of Satori's skills (which doesn't involve much if any noticable EXP gain due to being mostly running, and mostly on much lower level enemies then me)

The only two big problem spots I had were Stage 18 and it's boss, which weren't really grinding related as much as some degree of luck and a large degree of figuring out what I was doing (Doing octopus lady without messing up my other parties was tricky, but I eventually figured a mostly safe strategy out), and then the final boss, which I had an extreme amount of fun figuring out a strategy for without grinding more then... less then 5 Yukkuri Kings total. I did want to get Youmu to 60 for her Moon Reflecting Paschal Satellite Slash or whatever it's called, and Mokou to 57~58 for her reraise-all, but that's about all I got from the yukkuri kings. And then once I had it figured out, all I needed was a little luck to get through the second phase through chances of doublecasts, magic crits, and Sanae's Last Word.

The expansion was, for the most part, obscenely easy :c  (Oops I forgot to put any accessories on for the Abyss Dragon boss! Oh... it's already dead, and two of my characters did basically nothing the whole time. Nevermind.) The last dungeon was fun, though, and I had some fun figuring out how the handle the expansion final boss, although after I figured it out, it was pretty much entirely locked down with a small degree of luck in the first and final parts.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
The only two big problem spots I had were Stage 18 and it's boss, which weren't really grinding related as much as some degree of luck and a large degree of figuring out what I was doing (Doing octopus lady without messing up my other parties was tricky, but I eventually figured a mostly safe strategy out), and then the final boss, which I had an extreme amount of fun figuring out a strategy for without grinding more then... less then 5 Yukkuri Kings total. I did want to get Youmu to 60 for her Moon Reflecting Paschal Satellite Slash or whatever it's called, and Mokou to 57~58 for her reraise-all, but that's about all I got from the yukkuri kings. And then once I had it figured out, all I needed was a little luck to get through the second phase through chances of doublecasts, magic crits, and Sanae's Last Word.

the point is grinding eliminates the luck factor and therefore makes things much easier and less "why the fuck am i doing this"

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
In both cases the luck factor wasn't actually much of an issue though; it didn't account for much in the case of losing. (Mostly the 10000 Damage needle attack on the maid was the problem with Stage 18 boss, so I could simply do that very short fight first, and my strategy for stage 18 exploration was somewhat sketchy in itself.) Nor am I surprised at losing a few times from a bit of unluckiness against the final boss, especially when Yukkuri Kings are avaliable for me to shoot up my levels without much issue. (As soon as I started expansion the chance for them to spawn in Stage 21 completely and entirely disappeared, I noticed :c  Getting 1~3 fights per sweep of the room before then was to be expected, however, so the grinding wasn't hard.)

In the stage 18 cases, grinding wouldn't really have done anything. Now, using Yukkuri Kings to grind in stage 21 could have made it easier... that I do admit. I give final bosses a little more difficulty leeway due to being final though. If there wasn't an expansion (And at first there wasn't), it'd be the final thing to do in the game, after all.

It was also only two spots in the game and near the end. I never had any sort of large issue with anywhere else. Bosses became easy as soon as I set up my party specifically to deal with them, and with proper preparation none of the other stages had too difficult random fights. I honestly just ran if I saw 2 mindflayers or more in chireiden, and I don't think "RUN" being the best strategy for a less common and quite risky random fight to be strange. By the time their upgrades appear in Heaven (I cannot remember the fancier name for it at the moment) you can deal with them more easily, and their later incarnations in stage 16 are not anywhere near as scary.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
minimizing grind never worked out for me at all but that's most probably because i adopt a blitz strategy with almost every boss fight i've done, i only bother with less conventional strategies if they're absolutely necessary. chireiden having mindflayers? i'd just OHKO them and be done with it, it might seem counterproductive but that's really how i run things on my side of things. =x of course, this is probably why i HAVE to grind to make bosses doable at all because in this end it means i have little in the way of defenses and ways to cope with things splattering me, admittedly this only really was a big deal in Stg18 and absolutely nowhere else.

Tangrelle

• This is my book! It's still all weird though.
Hope this topic isn't too hideously dead...it's still on the first page, so i figure it's alright.

I'm finally trying to get through this game again, and I must say that it's a lot of fun <3 The patch is really well done, and the only issue I've had with it thus far is just those lines Akyu says when you try and go through that lower door in her room, which isn't that much of a bother!

I'm right before the final boss of the main game, so I'm mostly grinding stuff, and I wanted to know if there were any places in particular to farm for Rocks/Iron/Bamboo! I've mostly been going wherever it says in the records, but i wasn't sure if there's an easier way, like using the Gamer Fan. However, the game Fan is really weak, and I don't knowi if the user has to last hit the monster with it to increase chances!

Other than that, the main reason I am posting is because the image file pak download thing on the first post seems to lead to a broken or invalid file, which is too bad, since I really wanted to poke around and see if I could get Yuugi or Cirno's Last Word cut-in portrait things. Would it be possible to get it somewhere else, or am i looking in the wrong place?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:50:49 PM by Tangrelle »

You shouldn't need to finish off a monster wit the gamer fan to get the boost.
Here is a .rar of all of those character cut ins. Just in case anyone wants them.
http://www.mediafire.com/?xnbgvlbx2b8qi5y

Thanks a bunch! Hopefully I can get it to work right, and more importantly, find the motivation to play.

I have a few problems about this game

The skills sometimes doesn't show up.

The status effects bubbles are misaligned.

I crashed a few times on Satori's boss fight. Luckily, I beat her before crashing.

What should I do? It's not that troublesome but it's really annoying.

I'm using Windows XP in Japanese locale.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 08:10:11 AM by ricric7 »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Misaligned status effects are about par for the course, but the missing images and crashes are certainly strange. Are you running 2.09? (may show up as 2.08 in the game's name bar, that's normal)

It's worth noting that a new version of GoS is being released today, so that may fix some of these issues. But we have no idea as of yet how much of a thing TheNewGuy porting the english patch to it will be. Since I'm not doing much in some of my free time these days, I'm actually considering replaying the new version despite non-massive changes...

I'm quite sure I'm using 2.09 since the English patch only works for that version only.
Here are my specs:
OS: Windows XP Professional 2002 Version Service Pack 2
Processor:Inter(R) Pentium(R)Dual CPU T2370 @1.73GHz
Memory: 502MB RAM
DirectX Version:DirectX9.0c

Oh wow, that's convenient. I'll try it.