Author Topic: Shoot the Bullet English Patch Release!  (Read 79748 times)

Re: Shoot the Bullet English Patch Release!
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 01:12:43 AM »
Works fine for me.

You should post this on the gensokyo.org forums, too. Perhaps even create a Touhou Wiki account and put the link in the StB article yourself?

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 01:28:57 AM »
Found a grammar mistake: "overwrited". It doesn't matter though, I'll rarely use the function anyway.

Where was this?  I definitely want to fix any typos or grammatical errors like this.

You should post this on the gensokyo.org forums, too. Perhaps even create a Touhou Wiki account and put the link in the StB article yourself?

I'm going to do this soon. But my plan was to start here so you guys could help with the beta testing, which you've been all been super helpful with.  As soon as I'm a little more confident in the patch's stability and that its free of stupid stuff like "overwrited" I'll start spreading the word around.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 02:08:22 AM »
Worked, but I had to turn the "Verify Install" off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW1fxUT4fJs

Even in english, still infuriatingly difficult 8D

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 02:48:15 AM »
Game works, I HATE Aya.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

JormundElver

• Baron Von Parakeet
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 03:22:28 AM »
Patchwerks perfect for me, great job!

EDIT:  Scanning through all this I've never noticed this "newspaper extra" what is this  ???
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:28:54 AM by JormundElver »

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2009, 03:31:01 AM »
IIRC, ZUN was originally intending on releasing an expansion to StB in the form of that. However, he decided that he had spent enough time self-inserting his waifu and it never came into being.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Herasy

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 04:00:15 AM »
Installed, played a little, works flawlessly.

Thanks for the hard work and time spent on this patch.
 ;D

Koikon

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2009, 04:11:57 AM »
Where was this?  I definitely want to fix any typos or grammatical errors like this.

I'm going to do this soon. But my plan was to start here so you guys could help with the beta testing, which you've been all been super helpful with.  As soon as I'm a little more confident in the patch's stability and that its free of stupid stuff like "overwrited" I'll start spreading the word around.

When you clear a scene, you can overwrite your current bestshot with another one of your choice. When you do this, it says; Bestshot was overwrited!

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2009, 04:30:19 AM »
Oh that explains it.  I had never actually used that feature either so I'd never seen it but that message is present in the original as well.  Silly ZUN and his engrish.  At the moment I'm not sure where that text resides so I'm not sure if I'll get to fixing it.  I think it's kinda hilarious if you ask me.

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2009, 07:29:02 AM »
Excellent, it works flawlessly on my computer.  Thanks.  Also:
self-inserting his waifu
I believe you've just unintentionally given birth to a new euphemism.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2009, 03:36:55 PM »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

nintendonut888

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2009, 03:45:10 PM »
...Oh dear. And now I realize what I said isn't even put correctly. V_V
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 11:57:45 PM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2009, 07:36:53 PM »
New v1.02 just put up.  If you want to fix that overwrited go ahead and repatch.  XP users should just be able to rerun it no problem, but I recommend that Vista users manually delete the patched files before rerunning.  Check the first post for more details.

Miserot

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2009, 09:33:09 PM »
I get errors when trying to run the patch. Using Win XP SP3.

From running the patch:

---------------------------
Errors occurred
See the logfile 'C:\DOCUME~1\xxxxx\LOCALS~1\Temp\nsp1D.tmp\stb_english_patch.exe.log' for details
OK   

And in stb_english_patch.exe.log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "stb_english_patch.py", line 19, in ?
  File "wx\__init__.pyo", line 45, in ?
  File "wx\_core.pyo", line 4, in ?
  File "wx\_core_.pyo", line 12, in ?
  File "wx\_core_.pyo", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2009, 10:53:45 PM »
Works perfect for me. I guess I can start playing this one. Thanks a lot.

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2009, 11:50:34 PM »
I get errors when trying to run the patch. Using Win XP SP3.

From running the patch:

Errors occurred
See the logfile 'C:\DOCUME~1\xxxxx\LOCALS~1\Temp\nsp1D.tmp\stb_english_patch.exe.log' for details
OK   

And in stb_english_patch.exe.log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "stb_english_patch.py", line 19, in ?
  File "wx\__init__.pyo", line 45, in ?
  File "wx\_core.pyo", line 4, in ?
  File "wx\_core_.pyo", line 12, in ?
  File "wx\_core_.pyo", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

This most likely because you're missing one of the C++ libraries the patch need for its GUI.  I thought the one that was already included would cover it but looks like I missed one.  I've already updated the download link with a version of the patch that includes this DLL so if you could please let me know if this solves the problem.

Miserot

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2009, 11:13:26 AM »
Working perfectly now. Thanks.

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2009, 12:28:19 PM »
It's nice to see this patch doing so well, aside from a few bumps in the road.
Good job, drywall.

Koikon

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »
I read in the readme, that the reason the spellcard names didn't appear above the bestshot in the stage select screen is because you'd have to disable the bestshots entirely, right?
Well, I don't see the spellcard titles above the bestshots in the english version.... But I do in the original version..

Everything else is still in japanese in the original, though. Only the spellcard names seen above the bestshots appear in english. (While actually playing the stage, the name reverts back to japanese)

So now I'm wondering if you really can't put the spellcard names up there in the english version too..
(By the way, It would be nice if you would actually put the version of the english patch used in the corner of the intro screen..... Why? because I don't know if I'm using ver 1.00 or ver 1.01 right now.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 02:20:42 PM by Koikon »

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2009, 02:38:08 PM »
So now I'm wondering if you really can't put the spellcard names up there in the english version too..

This is a similar issue to what people were seeing with the MoF/SA patches, where the spellcard titles for the Player data screen were still in Japanese, and would only become English after they had beaten that card again.  In StB, those titles for the bestshots are stored within the bestshot files themselves.  So initially all the titles will be in Japanese, but when you patch StB it disables the game's ability to display Japanese fonts (so you don't need AppLocale) so all the titles would appear as garbage characters, not too attractive.  I had found where the titles were stored and attempted to change them at one point, but I found that changing just one byte invalidates that bestshot so it no longer appears on the select screen (probably due to a checksum somewhere in the file). 

Both the original and patched versions share the same bestshot files, so once you've overwritten a bestshot in the patched version, the English title gets stored with it, and will still be displayed in the Japanese version.  So yeah displaying the English titles would be possible but it would mean any stages you've previously beaten would have to be replayed, and would have a bunch of random characters for their title until then, or if I had changed them ALL stages would need to be replayed to display anything.  Not to mention that there are some English titles that are so long they don't look quite right when displayed.  After taking all this into consideration I decided the simplest solution was to just disable them for the patched version. I didn't think anyone would miss them too much, but then again a lot of my assumptions have been off the mark lately.

(By the way, It would be nice if you would actually put the version of the english patch used in the corner of the intro screen..... Why? because I don't know if I'm using ver 1.00 or ver 1.01 right now.)

Sure I can look into this, although the only differences between 1.00 and 1.01 were in how it verified the install, all the patching is the same.  However v1.02 does fix one grammatical error held over from the original game.

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2009, 05:23:15 PM »
Well you could just make it so that the patch would delete the previous save data like the other translation patches to avoid showing the garbled-up characters: Nowadays, people expect to play the whole game all over again once they apply a translation patch to it.  But why are they in English in the Japanese screenshot, though?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:42:17 PM by grgspunk »

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2009, 05:36:33 PM »
Well you could just make it so that the patch would delete the previous save data like the other translation patches to avoid showing the garbled-up characters: Nowadays, people expect to play the whole game all over again once they apply a translation patche to a game. But why are they in English in the Japanese screenshot, though?

I wasn't aware that was the norm, I figured most people would want to hold onto their progress since some stages can be so damn difficult.  The English is in the Japanese screen shot since its reading a bestshot file that was created while the patched version of the game was running, hence it used the translated spellcard title when creating it.  The Japanese character set contains ASCII as a subset so it has no problem displaying English characters, but the same cannot be said the other way around.

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2009, 05:49:34 PM »
Yeah, most of them have it so that replays/save data are deleted upon installation or not interchangable between patched and unpatched versions to avoid glitches. Although the titles might not seem much, you could say the patch itself isn't that much to begin with, so why disable it?

I mean, if there are people who really want to hang on to their data, just inform them in the installation window that this character glitch will occur if they copy/paste their files after installing.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 06:11:07 PM by grgspunk »

Mr_Alert

• weeeooo weeeooo weeeooo
  • I hope that's from food coloring...
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2009, 07:06:04 PM »
I was not aware that save data was ever deleted on installation of any Touhou patches.  I know for a fact that the MoF and SA patches don't do so, and the IN patch installer didn't do so when I tried it. In all cases, it was mentioned in the release notes that the spell card names in the spell practice or player data screens would show up in Japanese or mojibake until they were encountered again.

nintendonut888

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2009, 07:17:19 PM »
Just want to pop in and say congrats on the great job again! Not only is the game now in English so I can see Aya's stupid overconfidence and have MORE fuel for why I dislike her, but since the patched forced me to get a newer version, the game stopped crashing randomly!

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2009, 07:31:56 PM »
I was not aware that save data was ever deleted on installation of any Touhou patches.  I know for a fact that the MoF and SA patches don't do so, and the IN patch installer didn't do so when I tried it. In all cases, it was mentioned in the release notes that the spell card names in the spell practice or player data screens would show up in Japanese or mojibake until they were encountered again.

Didn't people mention something about their replays not being compatible though?

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »
Well at the very least I'm not happy with the way the patched and unpatched versions share the same score.dat and bestshot files.  It should be easy enough to get the patched version to point at its own copies, and then I can add an option to the patch on whether or not you want your old saved data copied over.  As for the titles on bestshots, before I can reenable it (if I ultimately choose to) I need to hack it so they are aligned on the picture correctly.

Mr_Alert

• weeeooo weeeooo weeeooo
  • I hope that's from food coloring...
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2009, 08:34:26 PM »
Didn't people mention something about their replays not being compatible though?

I can really say for the other patches, but when I was working on the SA patch, I did testing to make sure replays were compatible.  It is possible I may have missed something though.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2009, 04:23:35 AM »
I wrote a review of this patch, linking to this thread.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2009, 05:30:56 AM »
I wrote a review of this patch, linking to this thread.

That review warmed the cockles of my heart, perhaps even to the sub-cockles.  Thank you very much.  The only thing though is where you've written "Spellcard titles turned out well:" you have shot of the music title.

Also, its awesome to hear that you ran without a hitch under WINE, especially since the patch is tailored for Windows.