Author Topic: Touhou Relationship chart, New Edition  (Read 117264 times)

Re: Touhou Relationship chart, New Edition
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2013, 11:15:30 PM »
How do humans put misfortune into a doll? I'm sure explanations for this could be created, like perhaps someone taught them how to make special dolls. I would probably prefer to think that Hina wondered into Gensokyo and made the tradition catch on (unless some canon says otherwise). The problem with going there is that we both end up having a missing origin.
Hina's roll as a god would indeed be strange, as you help to point out. I'm thinking that the tradition of sending dolls down a river is less important then the desire to get rid of misfortune and it's from this desire that Hina was created. I also don't think the tradition was started with the intent of finding a god.
It's kind of off topic but I do wonder about where the dolls would go if Hina didn't pick them up. You say that Hina is bad because she can radiate misfortune back to the humans and the dolls just take the misfortune away forever but I doubt the dolls just cease to exist.

Did you somehow miss the part where this is a real tradition with real dolls? This wasn't made up by ZUN, nor does it only happen in Gensokyo. They do it every year in Japan. The dolls go downstream and end up in the ocean, where they're considered a littering hazard by annoyed fishermen. Gensokyo doesn't have an ocean, but presumably the rivers pass through the barrier.

As for "how"? How do you cast magic? How do you fly? Gensokyo is full of humans with supernatural powers, and many of them seem to be learned skills. While the people in real life probably just go through the ritual with nothing particularly spiritual happening, there's no reason to believe that Gensokyo's humans are unable to perform such a simple ritual as this.

From what I understand, it all funnels right back to Faith and Belief. The people believe strongly that their misfortune will be transferred into the dolls. That belief was likely what brought Hina into existence.

Belief and Faith are not, of course, the same thing in this series. Kanako explains the difference.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:19:15 PM by Clarste »

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2013, 04:08:35 AM »
Did you somehow miss the part where this is a real tradition with real dolls? This wasn't made up by ZUN, nor does it only happen in Gensokyo. They do it every year in Japan. The dolls go downstream and end up in the ocean, where they're considered a littering hazard by annoyed fishermen. Gensokyo doesn't have an ocean, but presumably the rivers pass through the barrier.
No, I got it. I don't see how that's an issue. It could have easily ended up in Gensokyo. The thing with the river is that if it flows out of Gensokyo into our ocean that means there is somewhere in our world where a river comes out of seemingly nowhere. Regardless, it's entirely possible that it goes underground or something. It's really not an issue.

As for "how"? How do you cast magic? How do you fly? Gensokyo is full of humans with supernatural powers, and many of them seem to be learned skills. While the people in real life probably just go through the ritual with nothing particularly spiritual happening, there's no reason to believe that Gensokyo's humans are unable to perform such a simple ritual as this.
I would totally believe that there are people who can put misfortune into a doll the problem is that there just isn't enough information to be sure.

Belief and Faith are not, of course, the same thing in this series. Kanako explains the difference.
I think I remember reading this in SoMP but I just skimmed over it and I couldn't find it. Where does she explain it?

« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2013, 05:21:11 AM »
No, I got it. I don't see how that's an issue. It could have easily ended up in Gensokyo. The thing with the river is that if it flows out of Gensokyo into our ocean that means there is somewhere in our world where a river comes out of seemingly nowhere. Regardless, it's entirely possible that it goes underground or something. It's really not an issue.

Pretty sure Gensokyo corresponds to a real place, just like the Lunar Capital corresponds to the real moon. It's just a particularly boring place. I know a lot of older stuff like the PCB prologues and whatnot have been retconned, but as far as I know it's still canon that there's an abandoned shrine somewhere in Japan that corresponds to the Hakurei Shrine. So there's an unnotable mountain valley somewhere covered by a barrier of illusion hiding Gensokyo. Or is Gensokyo the illusion...?

« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2013, 06:52:32 AM »
There's no faith being put into a central god governing all the dolls downstream, which is what Hina would be.

A central god isn't necessary as much as the representation. That representation would be the removal of misfortune. That would be what I call the "blessing". That would also be the center. And that would be Hina.
As long as there is faith in things, anything, there would exist a god to do it. This is why I classify Hina as a god.
I don't quite see the difference between god in name and god in reality.

As I understand it, gods gain a real, measurable, amount of power from faith, unlike you. You, as a person, can exist even if nobody knows you exist. A god can use faith to manifest themselves and then effect the world.

You, as a person, can also become a god if people believe in you. This is how humans become gods. This is also how objects become gods. What I am saying here is that there is a ritual and this ritual is something that gets done. I don't see why Hina would not be a god.

@Gensokyo: I am unsure about this.

@chart:
She goes to the Scarlet Devil Mansion and Remilia visits her. I think, I recall this.

Strange and Bright Nature Diety Chapter 1, Page 16.

There should be a line between Akyuu and Eiki. I think she is under Eiki's employment during periods between reincarnation.

Perfect Momento in Strict Sense Monologue, near bottom of page, search for yama.

I think Youmu has 3 teachers. Youki, Yuyuko and Yukari.

Youki is definitely Youmu's teacher. Yuyuko, look for Scarlet Weather Rhapsody win quote Youmu vs Remilia. Yukari, look for SWR story, Youmu's story.

I think the Prismriver sisters live somewhat close to the Scarlet Devil Mansion and Misty Lake.

Hmmm I have no idea where the source is, but you can look for it. They live in a mansion. They also moved their concert to the Scarlet Devil Mansion. But don't know where the source of where they actually live.

I think Sunnymilk is afraid of Lily White for reasons unknown.

Strange and Bright Nature Deity, Chapter 8, Page 6.

Imosa

« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2013, 04:06:55 AM »
Pretty sure Gensokyo corresponds to a real place, just like the Lunar Capital corresponds to the real moon. It's just a particularly boring place. I know a lot of older stuff like the PCB prologues and whatnot have been retconned, but as far as I know it's still canon that there's an abandoned shrine somewhere in Japan that corresponds to the Hakurei Shrine. So there's an unnotable mountain valley somewhere covered by a barrier of illusion hiding Gensokyo. Or is Gensokyo the illusion...?
Ok, then that means there's a river in our world where dolls just come out of nowhere.

A central god isn't necessary as much as the representation. That representation would be the removal of misfortune. That would be what I call the "blessing". That would also be the center. And that would be Hina.
As long as there is faith in things, anything, there would exist a god to do it. This is why I classify Hina as a god.
I don't quite see the difference between god in name and god in reality.

You, as a person, can also become a god if people believe in you. This is how humans become gods. This is also how objects become gods. What I am saying here is that there is a ritual and this ritual is something that gets done. I don't see why Hina would not be a god.
So, what do you think about what Akyuu says about her in the SoPM profile. 

Youki is definitely Youmu's teacher. Yuyuko, look for Scarlet Weather Rhapsody win quote Youmu vs Remilia. Yukari, look for SWR story, Youmu's story.
I wouldn't call the latter two teachers based on just what you linked. Yuyuko is old and probably has a lot of short sweet bits of advice. One instance of Yukari helping Youmu with something also doesn't really constitute a teacher relationship.

Hmmm I have no idea where the source is, but you can look for it. They live in a mansion. They also moved their concert to the Scarlet Devil Mansion. But don't know where the source of where they actually live.
Regardless I'm not really worries about geographical relationships. I did get the mountain right but it was also pretty convenient that way.

Strange and Bright Nature Deity, Chapter 8, Page 6.
Looks good.

Imosa

« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2013, 04:39:47 AM »
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?4l80ons8atdiil7
Huge progress again. Not much new to say really. I've still got some work to do on the layout but it's getting there.

« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2013, 06:25:36 AM »
Man, this is going pretty well, good job!
a few more things:
- Patchouli has never been human, unlike the other three magicians (she should still have the same colours as Alice and Byakuren)
- Lyrica and Merlin's instruments are switched
- pretty sure Yukari doesn't like Tenshi. Tenshi's colour is also a tad off
- Suwako and the Kappa are still the cheaters creaters of Hisoutensoku
- Alice and the three fairies are friends according to SaBND
- Kanako could probably use some lines to Sanae and Suwako, considering you did the same for virtually all the other clans. That would also fix her lack of connections, lol
- what's with Nazrin in Muenzuka?
- Hatate is a crow, like Aya
- Aya seems suspiciously lacking in connections, although stuff like her friendship with Reimu might just be speculation, so I'm not sure on this one
- does Chen actually live in the Yakumo household or in Mayohiga?
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2013, 01:00:20 PM »
According to her SoPM article, she lives there.

Also, Lily Black is just Lily White cosplaying Eiki. So answering her question, I don't think she should be there, no :P

Also also, shouldn't there be a "friends" line between Rinnosuke and Marisa?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:03:28 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2013, 05:25:43 PM »
- Patchouli has never been human, unlike the other three magicians (she should still have the same colours as Alice and Byakuren)
- pretty sure Yukari doesn't like Tenshi. Tenshi's colour is also a tad off
- Aya seems suspiciously lacking in connections, although stuff like her friendship with Reimu might just be speculation, so I'm not sure on this one
- does Chen actually live in the Yakumo household or in Mayohiga?

We don't know if Patchouli was originally a human or not. However, she is a youkai magician now, like Alice.
Yep, Yukari seemed pretty angry at Tenshi
Nazrin moved there. She hunts for rare items that pass through the border. I think the newest artbook said that.
Aya is pretty much universally hated for her pushy reporting style and taboliding, if I recall. Reimu's general greeting is to throw special talismans which say 'No reporters' so...
I don't know that one. :/

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Imosa

« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »
Man, this is going pretty well, good job!
a few more things:
- Patchouli has never been human, unlike the other three magicians (she should still have the same colours as Alice and Byakuren)Thanks
- Lyrica and Merlin's instruments are switchedThanks
- pretty sure Yukari doesn't like Tenshi. Tenshi's colour is also a tad offThere is no line between Yukari and Tenshi, colors were fixed though
- Suwako and the Kappa are still the cheaters creaters of HisoutensokuThanks
- Alice and the three fairies are friends according to SaBNDThanks
- Kanako could probably use some lines to Sanae and Suwako, considering you did the same for virtually all the other clans. That would also fix her lack of connections, lolI'll add something between Kanako and Suwako but I wouldn't know what to do between her and Sanae. LP calls Sanae her "wind priestess" but... what's a "wind priestess"?
- what's with Nazrin in Muenzuka?She lives there. Nazrin has a very interesting relation with the Myouren Shrine
- Hatate is a crow, like AyaThis was a bit of a joke. A long time ago I heard that anyone who distinguishes between ravens and crows outside of an academic field where this difference actually means anything is just nit-picking. Trying to distinguish between a crow and raven tangu is silly because they might as well be the same animal.
- Aya seems suspiciously lacking in connections, although stuff like her friendship with Reimu might just be speculation, so I'm not sure on this oneI'm not doing a line for every resident of gensokyo, perhaps that should go into a note though. I called her a friend of Reimu because that's what LP called them but I may downgrade that relationship to ally because they did work together in SA, and that must count for something.
- does Chen actually live in the Yakumo household or in Mayohiga?According to the wiki... no... look at that. Apparently she should be in Youkai mountain. I guess I'll be making that change.
Also, Lily Black is just Lily White cosplaying Eiki. So answering her question, I don't think she should be there, no :Plol, ok

Also also, shouldn't there be a "friends" line between Rinnosuke and Marisa?There is

Some people I have questions about:
Medicine visits Eirin, anyone know where this might come from?
The mischievous faeries are customers of Maris, not sure where this comes from either.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:27:55 AM by Imosa »

« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2013, 04:14:22 AM »
Some people I have questions about:
Medicine visits Eirin, anyone know where this might come from?
The mischievous faeries are customers of Maris, not sure where this comes from either.

Medicine is from her ending in Phantsmagoria (not many other places for it to be :P)

Three fairies is from an early issue. They were actually her first customers.  Though IMHO by the end of the series, the fairies are more close friends with both Reimu and Marisa than just customers.

Imosa

« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2013, 07:17:08 PM »
Medicine is from her ending in Phantsmagoria (not many other places for it to be :P)

Three fairies is from an early issue. They were actually her first customers.  Though IMHO by the end of the series, the fairies are more close friends with both Reimu and Marisa than just customers.
I just read of Medicine's dialog with Twei and Reisen and there was nothing about visiting Eirin.
I don't really doubt the the latter relationship but a source would be appreciated, also I'd actually prefer to just make them friends unless the customers relationship with was a big plot point.

« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2013, 11:27:23 PM »
The three fairies were only Marisa's customers once, I think. A part of me vaguely remembers a 2nd time but I'd have to read through the entire series to check on that.

I've checked Medicine's ending and it's actually Eirin that visits Medicine, not the other way around (after Reisen reported about her to Eirin in Reisen's ending).   Not sure I'd call it a relationship though since it might just be a one-time incident.

http://touhouendings.wikkii.com/wiki/Th09

On the other hand, I vaguely remember it being mentioned again elsewhere but I'm not sure where.

Imosa

« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2013, 02:24:07 AM »
The three fairies were only Marisa's customers once, I think. A part of me vaguely remembers a 2nd time but I'd have to read through the entire series to check on that.

I've checked Medicine's ending and it's actually Eirin that visits Medicine, not the other way around (after Reisen reported about her to Eirin in Reisen's ending).   Not sure I'd call it a relationship though since it might just be a one-time incident.

http://touhouendings.wikkii.com/wiki/Th09

On the other hand, I vaguely remember it being mentioned again elsewhere but I'm not sure where.
Thanks a lot for that. I didn't know about that site. I'll probably make the fairies, friends of Marisa. Not sure if I'll keep Medicine's relationship. I will however turn her into a spirit since that seems more appropriate then her current species.

« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2013, 10:01:42 AM »
I wouldn't call the latter two teachers based on just what you linked. Yuyuko is old and probably has a lot of short sweet bits of advice. One instance of Yukari helping Youmu with something also doesn't really constitute a teacher relationship.

These are snippets of events that Yuyuko and Yukari are teaching Youmu. So, it is somewhat safe to assume that they teach her other things during their daily lives and thus they would be her teachers.

So, what do you think about what Akyuu says about her in the SoPM profile.

You mean about Hina? From what I gathered on that profile, it seems like Akyuu calls her a goddess and considers her one. The difference being as she says, unlike normal gods, her nature is more like a youkai. I don't believe Akyuu mentions that she is actually a youkai.

@3 fairies: Yes, the 3 fairies "hired" Marisa to help them exterminate the slug, tsuchinoko or something, looking thing. In the end, she failed, and it left on its own after eating everything. That slug thing became Marisa's pet, but I don't know for how long. I believe that is a one time thing, so I am unsure if you want to put a customer relationship with Marisa.

Why is there a dislike arrow from Lily White to Sunny Milk? I know Sunny Milk fears Lily White, but we never know the reason why.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2013, 06:27:21 PM »
On the Sanae-Kanako thing, Sanae is Kanako's Shrine Maiden. Simple as that. It's just that the title she gets for it is 'Wind Priestess' since Kanako is a Sky Goddess.

It should be a master/servant line, or employer/employee.

Also I'm pretty sure Futo is a Hermit, or at least not human, while Miko is Divine [Saint, her awakening made a massive gathering of DIVINE spirits]

Also Kogasa is a youkai, a Karakasa is an umbrella that became animate, and developed a spirit.

Besides, Youkai as a whole are technically a type of spirit. [It means Ghost, in fact] I think 'Spirit' is better called 'Ghost', since it's basically only used for the, well... ghosts.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:43:02 PM by Raikaria »

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2013, 06:42:17 PM »
Technically Miko is a god, since she's been deified by Shinto. I think she identifies most as a hermit though. These categories aren't entirely mutually exclusive.

Also Kogasa is a youkai, a Karakasa is an umbrella that became animate, and developed a spirit.

The umbrella always had a spirit. All umbrellas have spirits, along with pretty much everything else. That's kind of the whole point of an animist religion like Shinto. The spirit got mad for being abandoned though. The word used for spirit here is 'kami', which you may recognize as also being the word for 'god'. So in that sense, Kogasa is one of the Myriad Gods, like Suwako. Except she's not a god because she has no faith. She's a 'kami' who became a youkai.

This is distinct from Divine Spirits ('shinrei') like Kanako.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:58:28 PM by Clarste »

Imosa

« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2013, 07:28:08 PM »
These are snippets of events that Yuyuko and Yukari are teaching Youmu. So, it is somewhat safe to assume that they teach her other things during their daily lives and thus they would be her teachers.
What makes you think that? Why do you think either of these are snippets?

You mean about Hina? From what I gathered on that profile, it seems like Akyuu calls her a goddess and considers her one. The difference being as she says, unlike normal gods, her nature is more like a youkai. I don't believe Akyuu mentions that she is actually a youkai.
According the the wiki Akyuu actually does say "[jinxes] are not like normal gods, but a kind of youkai."

@3 fairies: Yes, the 3 fairies "hired" Marisa to help them exterminate the slug, tsuchinoko or something, looking thing. In the end, she failed, and it left on its own after eating everything. That slug thing became Marisa's pet, but I don't know for how long. I believe that is a one time thing, so I am unsure if you want to put a customer relationship with Marisa.

Why is there a dislike arrow from Lily White to Sunny Milk? I know Sunny Milk fears Lily White, but we never know the reason why.
Thanks. I don't need a reason for why characters feel the way they do.

On the Sanae-Kanako thing, Sanae is Kanako's Shrine Maiden. Simple as that. It's just that the title she gets for it is 'Wind Priestess' since Kanako is a Sky Goddess.

It should be a master/servant line, or employer/employee.
I was just gonna call Sanae the priestess of Kanako and Suwako. I guess I can change that to "Wind Priestess" if that's important.

Also I'm pretty sure Futo is a Hermit, or at least not human
Futo is a human who's soul is in some other vessel. I don't really know what that makes her. Her SoPM profile suggests that something went wrong in Futo's attempt to become a hermit. 
Alright

Miko is Divine [Saint, her awakening made a massive gathering of DIVINE spirits]
Technically Miko is a god, since she's been deified by Shinto. I think she identifies most as a hermit though. These categories aren't entirely mutually exclusive.
I wasn't really sure what to do about Miko's saint status. I can make her part divine if that's appropriate.

Besides, Youkai as a whole are technically a type of spirit. [It means Ghost, in fact] I think 'Spirit' is better called 'Ghost', since it's basically only used for the, well... ghosts.
The umbrella always had a spirit. All umbrellas have spirits, along with pretty much everything else. That's kind of the whole point of an animist religion like Shinto. The spirit got mad for being abandoned though. The word used for spirit here is 'kami', which you may recognize as also being the word for 'god'. So in that sense, Kogasa is one of the Myriad Gods, like Suwako. Except she's not a god because she has no faith. She's a 'kami' who became a youkai.

This is distinct from Divine Spirits ('shinrei') like Kanako.
This all sounds pretty good. I'll change Kogasa to a humanoid. I'm not so sure about changing Spirits into Ghosts. Would vengeful spirits like Tojiko still be ghosts?
Also, while we're on the subject, is Parsee a vengeful spirit? It seems to me that she's the ghost of a specific person.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:35:13 PM by Imosa »

« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »
This all sounds pretty good. I'll change Kogasa to a humanoid.
For what it's worth, Kogasa is exactly the same thing as Medicine: a tsukumogami ("artifact spirit"), which is a very classic Japanese monster. Actually, now that I think about it it's pretty surprising that there are so few of them in Touhou.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2013, 07:56:55 PM »
This all sounds pretty good. I'll change Kogasa to a humanoid. I'm not so sure about changing Spirits into Ghosts. Would vengeful spirits like Tojiko still be ghosts?
Also, while we're on the subject, is Parsee a vengeful spirit? It seems to me that she's the ghost of a specific person.
Vengeful spirits are a kind of phantom: specifically, they're the soul of a human that has a grudge and is full of hatred or some other negative emotion. They are common in hell precisely because of that. According to SoPM, Tojiko is slowly stopping being a vengeful spirit and just turning into a thunder-calling ghost.

Since we're in the subject, Murasa isn't a vengeful spirit; she's a restless spirit. As Akyuu says: "As the name "ship phantom" suggests, she is a type of phantom. Indeed, she was born from the spiritual body of a human who died in an unfortunate accident, a so-called "restless spirit. A restless spirit is a phantom that is unable to cross the Sanzu River due to its lingering attachments to this world. A subspecies of earthbound spirit, they're bound not by a location but by an action."

ZUN's ghost taxonomy is weird.

Parsee's backstory is not elaborated, but nowhere it's suggested she's the ghost os a person. She just a youkai that embodies jealousy. Her youkai type, hashihime, is a woman that became a demon because of the jealousy she felt for her philandering husband. There's nothing in the games suggesting that this is Parsee's actual backstory, though. In the music commentary for her theme in SA, ZUN says she "a youkai with a broken heart", but doesn't elaborate more than that either.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:04:19 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2013, 08:04:39 PM »
Vengeful Spirits are still ghosts, they are just a type of ghost, like Poltergeists are a type.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2013, 08:11:26 PM »
Poltergeists, though, aren't the souls of the dead, but magical constructs (the Prismrivers were created by Layla to resemble her real sisters, and Kana was created by a mentally unstable girl [although, she's PC-98, so yeah]).
Phantoms are the actual souls of human beings, and only human beings are said to be able to leave phantoms.
Ghost seems to be a global term to all these classes.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:16:38 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2013, 08:26:14 PM »
Here's something I wrote about the types of spirits, before SoPM came out: (for reference, it's since been decided that "yuurei" are phantoms and "bourei" are ghosts)

Yuurei (幽霊, "secluded spirit"): Yuurei are your bog standard ghosts. The incorporeal souls of plants and animals. They are formless and can assume any shape they want. They aren't created by death, in that things are born with souls and some souls are born with no bodies, but they tend to be released by death. Some deaths create multiple yuurei (?!). They cannot be touched, but they have a cold aura. Yuurei are the embodiments of spirit, similar to how fairies are the embodiments of nature. These are the things hanging out in the Netherworld and what Komachi is charged with ferrying, and therefore the cause of POFV. Youmu is half-yuurei and Murasa is a ship yuurei, which is conceivably something different from a normal yuurei. We'll see in SOPM.

Bourei (亡霊, "deceased spirit"): Unlike yuurei, bourei are unnatural and not part of the cycle of life and death. They are created when a soul becomes too attached to the world or doesn't realize it's dead. Bourei are indistinguishable from living humans. They can eat, touch people, have body heat, etc. They can't go through walls or change their shapes. Their bodies aren't made of flesh though. Bourei are anchored to the world by their corpses, which are preserved and hidden somewhere. Destroying their corpses would kill them, so they're kind of like liches I guess. Yuyuko and Tojiko are both bourei.

Sourei (騒霊, "noisy spirit"): Poltergeist. Poltergeists are artificial creations. They are not the spirits of the dead nor of the living. They're spiritual beings with the ability to produce spiritual sounds. Technically they are an "ability" that someone else is using. The Prismrivers are poltergeists, obviously.

Akuryou (悪霊, "evil spirit"): Mima is an evil spirit. Next!

Onryou (怨霊, "vengeful spirit"): Onryou are the residents of hell, sinners sent there by the Yama to atone. They seem to be mindless and reduced to basic desires. As residents of hell, it is very unusual to find them outside of hell, which is why SA was such a big deal. They produce heavy metals based on their desires, such as gold from avarice, arsenic from murderous impulses, mercury from the desire to live at all costs, etc. I suppose this is an explanation for why these metals are found underground? Although of course most of them are poisonous. Rin commands the onryou, and they float around her in her portraits. Kasen hates onryou and kills them with her bandage arm, which annoys the Yama because they're supposed to be atoning.

Shinrei (神霊, "divine spirit"): These are basically the spirits in charge of conveying faith. They live in shrines, but are not gods themselves. They're just sort of attracted to shrines after they're built and hang out in the rafters or something, rather than being officially enshrined. They speak quietly and can only be heard by shrine maidens, although presumably they have to listen. They aren't really individuals in any meaningful sense. They're a manifestations of "prayers", ie: "desires". In TD they're attracted to Miko who apparently can also hear them. They're also attracted to Marisa in her ending. By listening to them you can learn what people most deeply desire, even if they're not aware of it. Futo calls them "teizokurei", meaning vulgar spirits. It's unclear if she knows more than we do or if she just views them differently. It's possible that what we saw in TD are actually completely different things from what Akyuu described.

Major Post-SoPM corrections: Vengeful spirits and Divine spirits can have their own will and personality. Vengeful spirits are a subclass of phantom. Tojiko is somehow both a ghost and a vengeful spirit. Kanako is a Divine spirit.

More generally, I now have no idea what a divine spirit is.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:44:42 PM by Clarste »

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2013, 09:16:30 PM »
Looks good, only change I'd mention other than the one you said regarding pos-SoPM info is that Murasa is a type of Bourei, then, as she's the actual soul of a person that's bound to the world because of lingering attachments.

Also, Tojiko is both because "vengeful spirit" seems more like a state of the ghost than a proper "sub-species"; her grudge is basically gone, so she can't really be called a "vengeful spirit" anymore, since she has nothing to be vengeful about.

I think Divine SPirits are a bunch of desires like you described, but enough of them can gather and actually become something greater, like a god. Akyuu says Kanako is either a divine spirit or a group of them. Maybe even a singular dinive spirit can grown if the desires associated with it become great enough?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:18:19 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

Imosa

« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2013, 10:36:37 PM »
Clarste, thats pretty cool. Is it on the wiki?
I might be having trouble keeping up with this but Tojiko sounds like shes in the right classification right now (spirits is getting changed to ghosts). This thing about once being a vengeful spirit can be in her description.
@Sagus: Thanks for the clarification on Parsee.

Fairly important question: Lily White (and by extension, Lily Black) aren't only present in spring, like Letty in winter and the Aki sisters in autumn?
Also, I want to include Lily Black as an alternate form of Lily Black (just like what Kiene has going), but I havn't decided how to do it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:56:35 PM by Imosa »

« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2013, 07:35:46 AM »
What makes you think that? Why do you think either of these are snippets?

For Yuyuko, Youmu says, Yuyuko says, blah blah blah. So, you can assume she also says other stuff that would be relevant to teaching her. Like teaching her how to pour tea.
For Yukari, it was fairly clear that Yukari went to Youmu to tell her this information. Instead of straight up telling her, which she could have, she decided to teach her how to read the temperament.

According the the wiki Akyuu actually does say "[jinxes] are not like normal gods, but a kind of youkai."

Yeah, if you only read that sentence. But what she says is:

Although jinxes are a kind of god, they do not seek faith. They are not like normal gods, but a kind of youkai.

It sounds to me like Akyuu states that Hina is a god, which she also mentioned earlier. Then, she went ahead and said they are not like normal gods, but a kind of youkai.
So, when you asked my take on it, I said, her nature is more like a youkai than a god, however, she is still a god.

For further explanation, gods normally require faith to subsist. However, unlike normal gods, jinxes do not require faith. And because of that, they are more like youkai than god. That said, it doesn't mean that they aren't gods. I don't believe Akyuu is saying that anywhere.

Fairly important question: Lily White (and by extension, Lily Black) aren't only present in spring, like Letty in winter and the Aki sisters in autumn?

Yes, they could be present in the other seasons. However, finding them is quite difficult.

Imosa

« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2013, 06:02:52 PM »
For Yuyuko, Youmu says, Yuyuko says, blah blah blah. So, you can assume she also says other stuff that would be relevant to teaching her. Like teaching her how to pour tea.
For Yukari, it was fairly clear that Yukari went to Youmu to tell her this information. Instead of straight up telling her, which she could have, she decided to teach her how to read the temperament.
I think I define a teacher and student more strictly, as a formal relationship over multiple lessons, or when one side considers the relationship exists.
In the case of Youmu and Yuyuko the relationship is very informal, which makes me hesitant to formalize it here. We all naturally teach each other things but when a younger person like Youmu lives with an older person like Yuyuko it just so happens that knowledge will tend to flow from Yuyuko to Youmu and not the other way around.
As for Yukari, I agree that Yukari is making this a much more formal teaching moment but in this case we only have a single instance of her teaching Youmu.

Yeah, if you only read that sentence. But what she says is:

Although jinxes are a kind of god, they do not seek faith. They are not like normal gods, but a kind of youkai.

It sounds to me like Akyuu states that Hina is a god, which she also mentioned earlier. Then, she went ahead and said they are not like normal gods, but a kind of youkai.
So, when you asked my take on it, I said, her nature is more like a youkai than a god, however, she is still a god.

For further explanation, gods normally require faith to subsist. However, unlike normal gods, jinxes do not require faith. And because of that, they are more like youkai than god. That said, it doesn't mean that they aren't gods. I don't believe Akyuu is saying that anywhere.
Alright. I know I was taking the sentence out of context but in context it seemed to me to be a contradiction. I think I see what Akyuu is saying now, that jinxes seem more like youkai then other gods.

Yes, they could be present in the other seasons. However, finding them is quite difficult.
Do you think Lily White should be a Spring box like she is in LP's chart, because I'm really not sure.

« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2013, 06:13:20 PM »
I think I define a teacher and student more strictly, as a formal relationship over multiple lessons, or when one side considers the relationship exists.
In the case of Youmu and Yuyuko the relationship is very informal, which makes me hesitant to formalize it here. We all naturally teach each other things but when a younger person like Youmu lives with an older person like Yuyuko it just so happens that knowledge will tend to flow from Yuyuko to Youmu and not the other way around.
If we're talking formal relationships, Youmu is actually Yuyuko's teacher. Youmu's official job is "swordsmanship instructor", it's just that Yuyuko never takes any lessons and makes her take care of the garden instead.

I probably wouldn't list that on the chart though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:17:23 PM by Clarste »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »
If we're talking formal relationships, Youmu is actually Yuyuko's teacher. Youmu's official job is "swordsmanship instructor", it's just that Yuyuko never takes any lessons and makes her take care of the garden instead.

I probably wouldn't list that on the chart though.

You're not a teacher if you never teach.

You can be an instructor all you please, if you have no students.

Branneg Xy

• ^UP http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html ^
    • (FREE) LINKEDIN PROFILE
Noticing this and that and that and that.....
« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2013, 09:57:17 PM »

Regarding the Prismiriver Sisters,I always thought they lived in or close to the Netherworld because they are poltergeist in a ruined mansion and use to be performer to Yuyuko and at her parties;this is as stated In BAJiR,PCB,POFV,PMiSS.Turns out ,instead,that they are indeed located in a secluded part of the Misty lake;probably somewhat covered by the Forest of magic since we have no  remark or hint whatsoever of another mansion around the Misty Lake. Moreover their mansion is only known as "Prismiriver Mansion"unofficially and is officially named"Ruined Western Mansion" http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Ruined_Western_Mansion ;again it's probably because they are performing(PCB,BAJiR,POFV,PMiSS) or looking for new sounds(POFV;Lyrica's Scenario) most of the time. Too much on my posting-plate ,so space and edit...

Edit: Another little input-> seems that the hostility between Yuyuko and Suika has been overlooked.It's mentioned on both their wiki pages and is backed up by their interactions during IAMP(story and vs) and SWR/HST(vs).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:15:07 PM by Branneg Xy »
^^^^ http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html  " 西行寺幽々子の強奪!!隣の晩御飯 " ->>>
" Yuyuko Saigyouji 's "Uslurpation" !! Dinner is Next ".
( Possibilities of ENGrish ) ^^^^ .