Author Topic: Phantasmagoria of Flower View English Patch Release!  (Read 132544 times)

Albel

Re: Phantasmagoria of Flower View English Patch Release!
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2009, 10:14:18 AM »
Many many thanks guys, you're the best.

Gpop

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2009, 12:25:20 PM »
Now who's willing to patch another massive text of dialogue in SWR?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2009, 12:48:34 PM »
I was about to patch
Then I saw the image/localising changes.

I'm hesitating now.  I'm pretty sure every other Touhou patch has avoided doing such things, and while I know it qualifies in the nitpicking discussion... I'm going to hold off on the hopes that a patch patch (-ouli) will be offered.

(I'm more for the "If you're gonna do it, do it right!" type of thing)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:51:23 PM by Garlyle »

Falcon

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2009, 01:23:25 PM »
Not sure what the fuss is about here. I've always had trouble with the pause menu for example. The English text there has always been way too hard to read. It's too small (especially in window mode), in a bad font and faded/transparent for whatever reason.

So, I, for one, welcome our readable menu option overlords! Finally someone changed them.
There's nothing wrong with making the menu text more readable. The problem is that it's significantly different. A reasonable compromise would be to make the English text the size of the original Japanese text and to use (as close to as possible) the same font to create it. Maybe even add the Japanese text in as a subtitle, reversing them.
As it is now, the font is too different and feels wrong, plus the localization issues. Touhou does have some localization (You'll notice Sakuya calling Remilia "mistress" instead of -sama), but terminology (Youkai, Hakugyokuro) has remained the same, so it should remain "Shinigami" and "Higan", if only to flow better with the other patches.
Additionally, I repeat the concern about some text getting a description edit rather than a translation. The Japanese text for winning is 6 characters. This seems too long to simply say "Winner". Google translate says winner in Japanese is "受賞". I know better than to trust google for an accurate translation, especially since I cannot confirm it myself, but I would expect short Japanese from a simple word.

And there's this.
I made a few tweaks to the original to make it more nostalgic. I had my reasons for the original, but for this game, it may have been a little too much.

Almost like, "why so serious?"
Please tell me you planned to remove that with a later patch.

fallensoul

• Bad maajan player
  • Beware. Lolicon.
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2009, 02:19:03 PM »
Oh, it worked on my Vista.
Thanks for the patch.

Anyway, I'll use it to see the ending dialogues, but it really changes the feeling of the game (localising and images -and the Dead Parrot .-. -, as said before). So, I'll be waiting for the the later patches.

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
  • For :files:
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2009, 02:35:48 PM »
i loled

he traslated the game TOO much
and it made some people upset

the olny reson I likr haveing the menus in japanese is that i has that.....feel... i cant rilly say how

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2009, 04:03:17 PM »
Yeah, I'm kinda gonna wait on a patch that isn't "too localized." Also because my PoFV install was on my crashed hard drive ...

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2009, 04:16:47 PM »
he traslated the game TOO much
and it made some people upset

the olny reson I likr haveing the menus in japanese is that i has that.....feel... i cant rilly say how

Probably that other Touhou translations have oftentimes just Subtitled the image text, or used an... err... non-jarring font.

It's a consistency thing @_@

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2009, 05:53:20 PM »
Please tell me you planned to remove that with a later patch.

I'm working on the next iteration of the patch.  I'll still respond to people who're having technical problems.

For now, hold onto your parrots.

[K]KoaMeow

• Pudding!
  • kyaaaaaaaaa~
    • M3 BM Fan Translation
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2009, 03:18:26 AM »
Is it me or there are some text spilling over the box during a dialogue in Youmu's scenario?

Herasy

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2009, 03:26:27 AM »
Is it me or there are some text spilling over the box during a dialogue in Youmu's scenario?
Are you sure you installed the font correctly?

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2009, 03:34:37 AM »
Just for future reference, the next time you see text spilling over or any other dialogue-related problems, be sure to either include a screenshot or tell me which stage and who it was against.  Otherwise, I can't go look it up.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2009, 04:53:04 AM »
One more caveat: works just fine in WINE now, except when I try to go "Youkai vs. Youkai", which makes the game crash instantly. Not that I have anyone to play with *sniff*.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
  • Touhou, Disgaea, Neptunia. Holy Trinity
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2009, 05:12:41 AM »
well me and nemo just tried the online adonis and played a few games ^_^ works like a charm so far haha. had some issues since mine is a vista but i took care of it no prob. If you wanna play dood let me know haha. we have a hamachi room too. the same room we use for SWR i'm gonna use for PoFV so if anyone wants some PoFV or SWR matches bam let me know ^,^  but this english patch looks good so far.

Though i too miss the Dead Parrot. in fact i think there should be somethin for the winner too like "Live Soul" or something haha. "Live Parrot" maybe? hehe
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2009, 05:15:09 AM »
I was just about to ask if you tried running adonise in WINE.
Adonis/e skips the youkai vs. youkai bit and handles most of the setup by itself.

Tengukami

« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2009, 05:17:05 AM »
If you wanna play dood let me know haha. we have a hamachi room too. the same room we use for SWR i'm gonna use for PoFV so if anyone wants some PoFV or SWR matches bam let me know ^,^ 

Sounds like a plan!

I was just about to ask if you tried running adonise in WINE.
Adonis/e skips the youkai vs. youkai bit and handles most of the setup by itself.

OoOoh. OK, so I hit the adonise.exe instead of going for Youkai vs. Youkai then?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2009, 05:21:25 AM »
Yeah.  I tried translating most of adonis' stuff via Google so you don't need to look up instructions anymore.  You'll probably want to take a look at the config for adonis though.  I think you can set your username in there.

It might help to use a non-Vista compatibility mode with WINE too, if you're going to run adonis, since there's problems with adonis on Vista.  I think the default mode for WINE is WinXP, so it probably doesn't matter anyway unless you start having problems.

Tengukami

« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2009, 05:31:40 AM »
Yeah.  I tried translating most of adonis' stuff via Google so you don't need to look up instructions anymore.  You'll probably want to take a look at the config for adonis though.  I think you can set your username in there.

It might help to use a non-Vista compatibility mode with WINE too, if you're going to run adonis, since there's problems with adonis on Vista.  I think the default mode for WINE is WinXP, so it probably doesn't matter anyway unless you start having problems.

Yeah, the default mode I use for Touhou in WINE is WinXP or Windows 2000. I'll tinker around with Adonis later on. Right now, I've got an ex-parrot to resusitate.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2009, 05:52:52 AM »
Just a minor note Rufus: In Sakuya's ending, you list Patchouli's shortened name as "Patchu." If you think about it, "Patch" is a much more sensible English equivilent than Patchu. Patchy is also acceptable, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Patch.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

flurk

• I'M IN YOUR SHMUP
  • GRAZING YOUR BULLETS.
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2009, 09:52:55 AM »
i'm guessing your team should be kinda tired about this, but..

why no more dead parrot? :<

"Eh, who needs brains in danmaku? Power, that's all you need!" -Kirisame Marisa

bennelsey

• Touhou fan-game Developer
  • Will make Touhou fan-games for food
    • EastGap
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2009, 02:04:55 PM »
all hail the english patch!

« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2009, 08:43:36 PM »
Just a minor note Rufus: In Sakuya's ending, you list Patchouli's shortened name as "Patchu." If you think about it, "Patch" is a much more sensible English equivilent than Patchu. Patchy is also acceptable, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Patch.

No, it's not. I have never, ever heard "Patch" being referred to as shorthand for Patchouli, and I've read every single manga in the gensokyo.org gallery. "Patchu" is likely the pronunciation used by the character who said that, and it should remain as such.
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2009, 11:45:43 PM »
You clearly have not heard much then. Explain how "Patchu" would realistically work from Patchouli. It makes perfect sense to me: Because of how the Japanese language works, it is impossible to say "Patch" in spelling. The closest it could get would be Paachu (or Pachu, I don't remember how her name looks in katakana). Make the "chu" part not have emphasis on the "u" and it becomes Patch.

Also, the translators at gensokyo.org are not canon.

EDIT: Just so you know, I'm not going to start a debate over this. I'm just saying what I'm almost certain is the case for this.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:47:30 PM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2009, 11:55:41 PM »
I thought Patchy was the general abbreviation for her name.

Besides, it's not like everything needs to be translated verbatim. If you want to read it as it was written originally, learn Japanese.

[K]KoaMeow

• Pudding!
  • kyaaaaaaaaa~
    • M3 BM Fan Translation
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2009, 01:02:28 AM »
Never mind. I forgot to install the font.

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2009, 01:37:54 AM »
Patchouli is pronounced Pah-Choo-Lee.

Shorten the name by cutting the final syllable, Pah-Choo.

Pah-Choo = Patchu.

It works.

Drake

« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2009, 01:50:35 AM »
You clearly have not heard much then. Explain how "Patchu" would realistically work from Patchouli. It makes perfect sense to me: Because of how the Japanese language works, it is impossible to say "Patch" in spelling. The closest it could get would be Paachu (or Pachu, I don't remember how her name looks in katakana). Make the "chu" part not have emphasis on the "u" and it becomes Patch.

Also, the translators at gensokyo.org are not canon.

EDIT: Just so you know, I'm not going to start a debate over this. I'm just saying what I'm almost certain is the case for this.
パチュリー : pachurii : Patchouli
Most 4koma and doujin manga use the term パチュ. Taking away the リー in this case still leaves you with an identifiable 'u' sound; it leaves pachu. If Patchouli wasn't a foreign name, I could argue that the u is indeed silent, but it isn't. In English, Patchouli is an herb. The way you pronounce it includes the 'u', and as such if you were to shorten it (and you would only be able to in a different language as technically shortening the word is friggin stupid) it would end up Patchu.
Even if you take into account the English 'Patchy' or 'Patch' as a shortening for the name Patrick, Patricia as the female version is shortened to Patty. Just as a note, there are some who shorten it to even just パチ, and this would be translated as Patchy or even Patch. So you're not totally wrong, but generally the correct term is Patchu, no matter how weird it sounds in English.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Doyora

• this space is avaliable for hire
  • call 0800 TWO-WHO for more information
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2009, 06:49:57 AM »

but thanks anyway
when it comes to pirating touhou games, I'm blackbeard

s1lv3rw0lf

« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2009, 07:13:47 AM »
This replay Dsync on English PoFV. Run normal on japanese.

Dsync: Komachi vs Yuka

Replay found on Gensokyo.org replay?s

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2009, 08:43:51 AM »
who am i to challenge the great doyora