Author Topic: Progress of the PC-98 game patches,whoever is/was doing it?  (Read 42967 times)

Re: Progress of the PC-98 game patches,whoever is/was doing it?
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2010, 08:27:06 AM »
Right, so I contacted Radical R(maker of the original HRtP patch), and got some translations for the shot select screen.

select Reimu's combat style from the 3 options below

A Highly Mobile Type that doesn't use the Onmyou sphere

Defensive, balanced type

Offensive type that uses Onmyou sphere

First thing was that we take "Onmyou sphere" to refer to the Ying-Yang Orbs, as this is how they are referred to in the rest of the game's script. Second, the shot type descriptions are distributed on 3 different lines each, with minor edits to make them fit/improve readability(defense type in particular needs stuff added on so that it occupies 3 lines).

However, at this point in the transcription, I have a few options as for how to proceed with the wording: I've narrowed it down to two styles, the first of which centers around the use of "that" as seen in the original translation, and the second of which instead uses "which", with accompanying changes to the rest of the text to accommodate the change. Furthermore, another possible variation was made for Defense Type. The screenshots show them as viewed by the English Interface T98-Next(top), and by Anex86(bottom). For reference, here is the original appearance of the screen.

The reason I'm showing this to all of you is because though I have made several revisions to both styles and have compared them on several criteria, I'm still having some trouble deciding which to use, and would appreciate input from the eventual users of the patch.

When making your decision, keep in mind the ideal traits of an English transcription(in order of importance):

3 - Aesthetics: The appearance of the text and word choices should look good even when it is not being read, but just glanced at. Standardization of phrases, line-break usage and word choice are key.

2 - Faithfulness: The translated text should have closely matching content, alignment, and space usage to the original text. The change in appearance should be minor, overall.

1 - Flow: The text should sound good in your head. The choices of words, punctuation, capitalization and the placement of line breaks all have massive impact on the emotional tone and manner of speaking of the "voice" that you read it with in your mind. Being aware of this is absolutely essential to making the text feel and sound natural.

For those of you who wish to contribute their own variation on any of the above, keep in mind that each line holds precisely 22 letters; Japanese letters and spaces count as two letters, and Anex86 inserts a dot in the center of each "English" space.

So yeah, opinions? Preferences? This is your chance to directly affect the contents of the patch, so make it count!
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2010, 02:17:27 PM »
Hmmm... that seems to be better but primarily for the different description of the offensive shot type, which makes more sense I think.

MaronaPossessed

• I am free to dream of my own dream
  • and so I shall dream
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2010, 08:40:20 PM »
In my opinion, Defense Type should be "Which" the others can be "That".

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2010, 01:09:05 PM »
Hi, Prime_2, this is MistletaiNN on #shrinemaiden.

I sent you the stuff already over DCC and notified you of course. Well, I hope I could be of some use.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2010, 03:26:36 AM »
Hey prime...is it possible to add a hitbox on Reimu's sprite? Just curious...

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2010, 04:02:10 AM »
I've been doing some unicode finding for the pc98 games. Here's the ones I got so far for transcript purposes...

←→⋅¥☠☯♀♂♥♫♪☆〠
(I could only find the skull with the crossbones. weird face at the end was close enough to ghost.)

Heres some that could be the sweatdrops

〞〝〃〟

and for the angry vein...

╬✖✘✗〤♯

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2010, 05:46:05 AM »
So is there any progress being made toward this? If so, someone needs to go through and make sure that all the translated lines are consistant, particularly in PoDD. A number of exact same lines get used between the different storylines, but sometimes the translation won't match up. For example, if Chiyuri says the same thing in Reimu's and Mima's storylines, in Reimu's, she'll say one thing, and in Mima's she'll say it another way, when in the original, they're both the same.

I could probably do this myself if you're just using the translations from the wiki.

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2010, 08:45:01 PM »
I messaged prime. I'm sure he's still doing SoEW.

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2010, 04:19:37 PM »
.is it possible to add a hitbox on Reimu's sprite? Just curious...

But you can already see Reimu's hitbox. It's the other characters that you can't see them.

And I'd prefer this left alone or at least make it optional. No need to taint PC98 runs as EoSD runs have been.

And also, I can't wait for these to be done.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:21:23 PM by Enigma »

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2010, 08:25:40 AM »
There's a guy here making an english patch for MS.
http://forum.gensokyo.org/index.php?topic=1076.0

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2010, 08:02:13 PM »
There's a guy here making an english patch for MS.
http://forum.gensokyo.org/index.php?topic=1076.0

isn't alice blackbarn doing it though? (though its been quite a while. :P)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2010, 09:22:26 PM »
IIRC, Alice/bofh has done his part and he's waiting on the work of another person on the project to do their part. :S
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2010, 04:35:23 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a program to pack the dat files for PODD? I've downloaded loads, but none of them work.