Author Topic: Ask A Middle-Aged Guy  (Read 54700 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Ask A Middle-Aged Guy
« on: February 08, 2011, 04:36:45 PM »
Anything you've always wanted to ask a nearly-40-year-old parent, but thought they'd sugar-coat their answers or just talk down to you like you have no idea what's going on in the world, I will do my best to answer. No question is off limits so long as it stays within the forum guidelines.

Bring it!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Re: Ask A Middle-Aged Guy
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »
What is love?

What would you say is the hardest thing about being a parent?

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »
okay then. How many kids do you have and do you feel like they're pressuring you too much as a parent?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 04:41:09 PM »
My parents, teachers and everyone else I know give me the same ridiculous answer that obviously can't be true, but you are a man with actual life experience, so I ask you:
Where do babies come from?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »
How are babies made?

What experiences have contributed most to your oldness? Your theoretical wiseness?

EDIT: OH FUCK YOU IRYAN >=[!

(j/k, you're cool)

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »
WHEN ARE YOU COMING BACK TO
Spoiler:
OTAKON
BALTIMORE?!?!

Also, what're your experiences with moving to and living in Iceland.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 04:46:01 PM »
As a parent, when you first saw your kid after it was born... Did you REALLY think that slimy smelly crying thing was cute/beautiful? New born babies all look the same to me, ugly, to no fault of the parents I might add. But when they gush about how they look I have half a mind to windex ther eyes.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 04:46:40 PM »
EDIT: OH FUCK YOU IRYAN >=[!
Show me how I am supposed to do that, and I will do it better than you ever could.  :smug:

On that matter, where do kittens come from?

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »
What is love?

What would you say is the hardest thing about being a parent?

Loving your child is really easy, but the hardest part is you are always, always second-guessing yourself. Did I do the right thing? Should I have let her stay up another hour? Will she hate me forever if I don't buy her the candy she wants? Do I trust her teachers? Am I pressuring her too much? Not enough? And so on. You're never satisfied with what you do for your child. All you can do is follow your gut, remember how you were raised as examples of what (or what not) to do, and hope your child is happy. But the worry never stops. You just gotta keep that shit in check.

okay then. How many kids do you have and do you feel like they're pressuring you too much as a parent?

I have one girl, she's nearly five. And she's pretty chill. It's demanding, sure, but I mean ... when you love your kid, you just do it, you know? Whatever it is.

My parents, teachers and everyone else I know give me the same ridiculous answer that obviously can't be true, but you are a man with actual life experience, so I ask you:
Where do babies come from?

Ah, well, I could tell you but then I'd get kicked out of the Lion's Club. All I'll say is that the reason your parents and teachers gave you will keep you pretty occupied.

How are babies made?

What experiences have contributed most to your oldness? Your theoretical wiseness?

I have no idea how wise I am. When I look at myself, and the people I went to high school with, and other people my age, the sad truth is, our personalities pretty much settled into what they are now by the time we're like, 18 or 20. I mean of course you try to learn from your mistakes, but if your personality is such that you're likely to be a slob, chances are you'll stay one.

I think what aged me most was just trying to survive. Mundane shit like working for a living, paying bills, keeping the rent going, buying furniture and such. Finding your place in the world and getting settled into it ages you a lot, but on the other hand, that's when the real fun starts.

WHEN ARE YOU COMING BACK TO
Spoiler:
OTAKON
BALTIMORE?!?!

Also, what're your experiences with moving to and living in Iceland.

This summer I hope!

Moving to another country is really stressful. You arrive full of wonder, all starry-eyed that it's going to be an awesome time, and then you experience the loneliness of knowing virtually no one, dealing with cultural differences and such, but eventually you get settled in and can appreciate the place on a deeper level. As far as Iceland goes, I like the landscape, the social welfare system, and the lack of violence, but I miss the cultural variety that America offers.

As a parent, when you first saw your kid after it was born... Did you REALLY think that slimy smelly crying thing was cute/beautiful? New born babies all look the same to me, ugly, to no fault of the parents I might add. But when they gush about how they look I have half a mind to windex ther eyes.

Yes, I really did. And the first thing she did when she was born was lay on her mom's belly and crap all over the place. I mean the blood and placenta and all, yeah, that was pretty gross. But my daughter was just gorgeous to me. I think the physical act of looking at your own child releases this chemical in your brain where you can see no flaws or something.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »
On a scale of one to ten, how dangerous is your hip-hop?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 05:00:13 PM »
What should I LP next?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 05:11:53 PM »
Should I give Linux a try again. Also, Should I buy a new mic?

PC

• riot pls nerf trondamere
  • poultry shout too strong
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
At what age do the male hormones release control of the brain's speech function so that I can talk to them again without worry of a perverted retort  :derp:

Oh, and do you have any major regrets in life/things you would go back and change?

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 05:23:04 PM »
Have you ever once regretted having a child, or went through some other circumstance where you were just wrecked with grief regarding said child?

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »
How do you react when your child is acting up in public?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 05:30:01 PM »
How do you manage your shapeshifting? Is it cosmetic surgery, superpowers from an accident with a radioactive amoeba, blood magic, prayers to Shiva, or something else entirely?

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 05:30:38 PM »
How do you manage your shapeshifting? Is it cosmetic surgery, superpowers from an accident with a radioactive amoeba, blood magic, prayers to Shiva, or something else entirely?
Oh, even I can tell you that. It's all in the PUDDI PUDDI.

andrewv42

• I heard Malzaherp
  • needs a derp
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 05:31:11 PM »
What are your sentiments regarding a routine?
I eat squirrels.

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 05:33:18 PM »
Did you expect to ever be a father? Also, how many children did you expect to have? Would you want more?

Also, why'd you move to Iceland?

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 05:33:31 PM »
How is it being a parent? Do you ever worry that you're messing up your child somehow? Have you ever had issues of disrespect, and if so, how do you handle them?

I feel like I should ask something more meaningful than this but I can't think.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 05:46:04 PM »
How many grey hairs have you had?

Does death gradually become more of a pressing fear the older you get?

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »
What is love?
bby don't hurt me

What has been the hardest thing you've ever had to do?

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 05:54:31 PM »
How did you meet your daughter's mother, and how did you decide to get married and have a child together?

What was the most important experience of your life so far?

What's the secret to happiness (or rather, the secret to avoiding depression, cynicism, etc.)?

Where did you see your friends and yourself 20 years ago, and how does it line up with what you are now?

Have you ever been at a crossroads where you didn't know what to do, and where did you go?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:24:17 PM by Conqueror »

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 06:01:35 PM »
How does it feel like being Tony Hawk, and having your own skateboarding game that was awesome back in the day.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 06:02:52 PM »
What were the highlights and lowlights of the classic rock phase for you?
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 06:05:44 PM »
Now that you have a daughter, do you think you'll have a girlfriend/wife in the future?

Do you think this could damage the relationship between father and daughter?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:06:28 PM by White❖Datura »

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

dustyjo

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 06:08:40 PM »
What the fuck are you doing on a forum full of young people you pedo  >:(

Wark

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »
What do you think is wiser for a young person: trying to put as much effort as possible in activities that are considered to be beneficial in future (university, etc), even if it means having pretty much no social life and no time for oneself, or trying to enjoy one's life, even if it somewhat hampers the aforementioned studies? Especially considering how fragile human life is.

Smok, destroyer of thoughts

• The dangers of combing Ran and Mokou fanboyism
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »
Does your wife like touhou like you?

Will you show touhou to your kids?

Mokou Fan

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 06:20:35 PM »