Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)  (Read 174291 times)

Drake

Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)
« Reply #480 on: November 24, 2011, 08:19:54 AM »
oh god i was just going to bed too

- ZUN said "there is no such thing as a tiger youkai" and added that Shou "could have been a wolf before becoming a disciple of Bishamonten".
This is likely false, but if he said something like that it would probably be in this interview (and probably would have been said in jest).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otIrJdoaITI

- He also said that Reimu is the weakest of the Hakurei clan, but has the most potential.
There has never really been any mention of other Hakurei members, so this is likely false. Her "potential" has been noted several times throughout the series though.

- He also admitted that Youmu is actually younger than 60, and jokes she could be either 52 or a little bit more.
Yes. In PoFV she did not acknowledge the event and actually searched for someone who could explain it to her.

- It seems that when Remilia and Flandre moved to Gensokyo, (with the castle that turned into the mansion after touching Gensokyo ground), Reimu was still a child.
Unknown, but it was sometime before Season 113.

- It may have taken her a year to get the fairies, and longer to get Meiling (who is the first high-ranking servant Remilia got).
Unknown, unknown, and probably not if you count Patchouli, who has been friends with Remilia for a while.

- Meiling was, before Remilia changed her fate, a fallen dragon that killed anybody who got close to the lake.
no

- Before Remilia, that lake was called the Scarlet Lake, but after Meiling was the defeated, the lake healed and became the Misty Lake.
no

- About Meiling, when Remilia changed her fate, the dragon demon lost her memory, so to her, she's always been working for Remilia.
no

- Second to be recruited by Remilia was Patchouli.
as explained previously, no

- She used to live in the Human Village (before the village accepted demons, and Patchy was and still is considered a low-tier demon before being a magician).
no

- She was shunned because nobody understood her.   She, like now, loved knowledge (books) above anything else
no

- One day, Patchouli exposed herself by mistake and killed a few villagers after losing her mind.   Remilia came in and offered her library as a home.
no

- She changed Patchouli's fate so that the magician now believes she's been friends with Remilia for a VERY long time, and Patchouli used a book in Remilia's library to seal away all her old memories.
no

- Koakuma was in the library before Patchouli and knew where all the books were, so Patchy made a contract so that said little devil became her familiar.
No, but she does live in the SDM. She is also Patchouli's assistant, but not necessarily her familiar.

- It is true that Yuyuko was shunned by the Saigyouji because of her power over death, which caused the accidental deaths of many family members when she was young.
no

- She and Yukari were friends since the former was alive, but facts on that are very little.
Yes, and their relationship is actually very well established.

- The only friends Yukari had (that cared about her for real) were the Konpaku (yes, they were alive back then), and Yuyuko herself.
Yukari probably has more friends than just Yuyuko. Also, the Konpaku serve the Saigyouji and have been for a long time. Yuyuko has been the only Saigyouji for at least a thousand years.

- He (ZUN) mentioned that Youki was alive and young when Yuyuko committed suicide.
No. Youki, being only a half-ghost, lived for about 300 years.

- Not much is known between that, but ZUN said that the Konpaku, being half spirits/half human, age very slowly, and only Yuyuko saw their ghost halves.
You can assume so, but there's nothing to really imply it. The "Kon" means the ghost half and "Paku" the human half, but the Konpaku weren't necessarily all half-ghosts.

There's also one about Eirin being over a million years old, but that one is obviously false because ZUN was drunk when he said that.
Eirin was key in the creation of the Lunar capital as well as witness to the birth of Lunarians. She is upwards of 1400 years old, and likely much much older.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #481 on: November 24, 2011, 10:18:49 AM »
- He also admitted that Youmu is actually younger than 60, and jokes she could be either 52 or a little bit more.
I am not sure if Zun admitted it or not, but it seems like a safe assumption that she is under 60, since she does not seem know about the
flowering incident.
But then again, Youmu may not realize it, since she is living in the Netherworld, which seems to be unaffected by the incident in
Phantasmagoria of Flower Viewing.

- The only friends Yukari had (that cared about her for real) were the Konpaku (yes, they were alive back then), and Yuyuko herself.
I assume Suika is friends with Yukari, since Suika seems to know Yukari well enough.

There's also one about Eirin being over a million years old, but that one is obviously false because ZUN was drunk when he said that.
This one sounds plausible. Eirin has been alive since who knows when. If you can believe her speech with Remilia it would imply
Eirin is ultra old:
Little children like you have no way to stand a chance against me, an eternal being.

Your history of scarlet...

Divided by my history, the result is zero.

Other than the few yeses from the previous poster, everything else looks pretty bogus.

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #482 on: November 24, 2011, 10:30:35 AM »
The one about Yukari's friends might have actually been the other way round: Yuyuko's only friends being the Konpaku and Yukari.  He didn't make it clear in the MSN conversation...

EDIT: Forgot to say thanks...  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:06:31 PM by game2011 »

qyot27

• Surreptitious moon rabbit
  • Counting Blue Cars
« Reply #483 on: November 24, 2011, 03:49:40 PM »
Some of those sound very much like plot elements from books by other doujin groups, not ZUN.  Especially the stuff about Meiling and the Yuyuko backstory - the former I remember seeing but can't recall the exact book, the latter might very well have been Maiden's Illusionary Funeral, by VISIONNERZ.

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #484 on: November 25, 2011, 03:36:38 AM »
Asked my friend again, and yeah, he said that it was Yuyuko whose only friends are the Konpaku and Yukari.

EDIT: Sorry for disturbing your bedtime, Drake...  Also, is there any evidence in saying that those are false?  A friend of mine thinks that they might be true.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 05:22:58 PM by game2011 »

« Reply #485 on: November 25, 2011, 10:30:35 PM »
There's no evidence saying that "Marisa's father is a giant pink teddy bear" is false either. Essentially, all those theories are just various fanon theories jumbled together, with a bit of random canon that probably appeared by coincidence. Your friend is just plain wrong.

Drake

« Reply #486 on: November 25, 2011, 11:08:34 PM »
Yeah, there are varying levels of plausible deniability with these sorts of things.

1: Statement that has been shown to be true through a direct reference.
2: Statement that is widely assumed to be true through direct implications/chains of logic, or by threading together other evidences.
3. Statement that can be assumed to be true by a character's statement.
4: Statement that may be assumed to be true by hard evidences chained together using general assumptions, and cannot be disproved with hard evidence.
5: Statement based on hard evidence that may be assumed to be true, but may also be argued using general assumptions.
5: Statement based on general assumptions, but cannot be disproven using hard evidence or through other assumption.
6: Statement based on general assumptions, but can be argued through other assumption.
7: Statement that has no basis but cannot be disproved with hard evidence.
8: Statement that has no basis and can be disproved with hard evidence and general assumptions.
9: Statement that has no basis and can be disproved using hard evidence.

This is more or less the strength hierarchy of a given statement.
EDIT: i like how it's symmetrical

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #487 on: November 27, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »
Touhou Wiki lists Seiga's theme as Old Yuanxian, but I take that it's better off called by its literal translation, Old Distant Hermit, don't you think so?

Drake

« Reply #488 on: November 27, 2011, 10:20:08 PM »
I've commonly heard it both ways. It might take a while for people to settle on one.

« Reply #489 on: November 30, 2011, 12:25:54 AM »
I recognize a lot of those questions as plot elements of various fan-made doujinshi I've seen.  But yea, Drake pointed out the ones that aren't canon. Oddly enough, the Mei Ling dragon speculah isn't in the doujinshi about the lake being Scarlet Lake and Remilia defeating Mei Ling at all.

The library was constructed after Patchouli came to the Scarlet Devil Mansion.  Sakuya comments to Alice when you lose to her in Alice's story mode of SWR (I think that's where it was) that the library was constructed specifically for Patchouli's use.  Ergo, because it was made for Patchouli, it must have been made AFTER Patchouli came to the mansion.

Oh, and Perfect Memento states that the Konpaku are indeed a lineage of half-human half-ghosts.  No idea how that works, lol (who do they marry with to produce the next generation? :O).

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense/Youmu_Konpaku
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:28:40 AM by Tiamat »

Drake

« Reply #490 on: November 30, 2011, 12:29:48 AM »
mitosis, and then the two halves do each other to make another half-ghost

« Reply #491 on: December 15, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »
I always want to know what kind of background each touhou character have actually. Like Murasa has that vortex picture, or OKuu a nuclear symbol.Or remilia the simple red moon.

Vael

• Weaver of Illusions, Shaman of Dreams
« Reply #492 on: December 16, 2011, 10:01:59 AM »
Umm, sorry, hi there, pretentious Touhou fan here.

Is there a thread where one could create their own little original Touhou character for the heck of it? I honestly would like to see what everyone here could come up with and how they would all fit in with the rather fragmented Touhou canon.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #493 on: December 16, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »
Umm, sorry, hi there, pretentious Touhou fan here.

Is there a thread where one could create their own little original Touhou character for the heck of it? I honestly would like to see what everyone here could come up with and how they would all fit in with the rather fragmented Touhou canon.

Hi, welcome to MotK.

The answer to your question depends a lot on how you want to approach it. If you're looking to create artwork of your OC, Alice's Art Atelier would be your best bet. If you want to write a story about it, there's Patchouli's Scarlet Library. If you want to incorporate them into a game, you want to go to Rika and Nitori's Garage Experiments. If you want to create an online forum game RPG about them, there's Rumia's Party Games. And if you just want to create a Touhou-profile-template for your OC, then this would be the right board to do it.

My suggestion would be to decide which angle you want to go with, and take it from there.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Vael

• Weaver of Illusions, Shaman of Dreams
« Reply #494 on: December 16, 2011, 10:10:33 AM »
I see, thanks tonnes.  :D

« Reply #495 on: December 17, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »
Is it possible to use numpad in IaMP? It feels really difficult to do various moves using only the directional keys.

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
« Reply #497 on: December 17, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »
I was on Tv Tropes the other day, browsing through the Touhou Character sheet when all of a sudden, I saw the trope "Bifauxnen" under Futo's profile. I mean come on, she wears a skirt. And she has a pony-tail.

How is it possible for them to call her a bifauxnen?
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #498 on: December 17, 2011, 08:44:09 PM »
I was on Tv Tropes the other day, browsing through the Touhou Character sheet when all of a sudden, I saw the trope "Bifauxnen" under Futo's profile. I mean come on, she wears a skirt. And she has a pony-tail.

How is it possible for them to call her a bifauxnen?

It's TVTropes. Even the most straw-grasping, tenuous comparison can and will be made there.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #499 on: December 17, 2011, 09:26:27 PM »
Has ZUN made any statements on the use in fangames of SFX etc. extracted directly from the Touhou games? I'm fairly certain that the answer is "he has, and said 'don't'," but I can't remember where.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:19:29 PM by Master Bigode »

« Reply #501 on: December 18, 2011, 05:05:29 AM »
Got it, thanks.

« Reply #502 on: December 20, 2011, 05:14:32 AM »
If you'll recall Hele posted one of his Danmakufu videos on Nico way back when and the commenters yelled at him for using SFX/GFX from the original games.

I believe there's fanmade sound/graphics libraries made for use with Danmakufu specifically to avoid using ZUN's original work.

« Reply #503 on: December 21, 2011, 06:15:54 AM »
If you'll recall Hele posted one of his Danmakufu videos on Nico way back when and the commenters yelled at him for using SFX/GFX from the original games.

I believe there's fanmade sound/graphics libraries made for use with Danmakufu specifically to avoid using ZUN's original work.
Ah, yes, I remember that now.

Now I'm curious about where to get the Danmakufu one.

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #504 on: December 25, 2011, 01:06:10 PM »
So according to the Ten Desire page on Touhou Wiki...
ZUN had given an interview in Chara☆Mel Febri volume 9 which reveals more about the characters, music of the game and Ten Desires in general.
Is a translated version of the interview available anywhere?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Never mind; I found it on the wiki...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 01:16:12 PM by game2011 »

GuardianTempest

• Adorably Awkward Android
« Reply #505 on: January 07, 2012, 12:40:56 PM »
"May I take your order?"

2 please:

1.  Does anyone have Touhou remixes other than this and the yama's? Common trait is that they have powerful choir pieces.
2. Then, can you list me as many 'boss-like'(because I can't find other adjectives) themes like this one?
--
As many of each character(if possible), priority on Parsee because I need it as daydream fuel(concept ready). If there is too much, send it to me via PM.
--
Extra: Is it possible if Fanon Meiling is a panda youkai? From the sheer slackery yet fearsome power(and other traits), could it make sense?

Extra 2: Metaplaying, does Seiga's powers have any...well...think of Yukari and her Fanon powers. By saying 'walls', does this also mean that she can't pass through walls and floors, and that if you replace your walls with roofing outside and wooden floor-boarding on the inside, you're practically impenetrable? If you lived in an igloo made of diamonds and all of the walls are technically 'ceilings' and 'roofs'? The same thought could be applied inversely, like can she grab your heart and rip it out by passing through your 'chest wall', can she also pass through a wall of lightning? Wall of needles?

Extra 3: Is Satori incapable of fully stopping her powers(power leak)? Like if you were to put her in front of a hardcore surrealist with mental problems and takes drugs, would she get a seizure?

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #506 on: January 07, 2012, 05:05:02 PM »
I think it's common knowledge by now that Lily Black is simply Lily White with a costume change, despite fandom having the tendency of portraying them as separate people.  They both also showed up in the same panel in Silent Sinners in Blue, though I think it's only because the authoress of the manga was under the assumption that they are different people, and ZUN either didn't see that or let is pass because it was too late to make changes.

Anyway, what I want to ask is...  Touhou Wiki says that ZUN confirmed the LB and LW thing in a livestream, but apparently, the same page mentioning this says that citation is needed.  While I do believe that LB and LW are the same person, is there still proof that he ever said that in a livestream?

Thanks in advance!

« Reply #507 on: January 07, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »
Is the "Dead Parrot" message in PoFV a reference to Monty Python? Because that would be awesome.

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #508 on: January 11, 2012, 04:42:57 PM »
Anyone?

EDIT: Don't feel like making a new post...  Anyway, what's with people referring to Minamitsu by her last name more than her first name?  Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:25:03 PM by game2011 »

DDRMANIAC007

• The DDR Maniac
  • Dance Dance Revolution
    • The Touhou stream blog
« Reply #509 on: January 14, 2012, 01:06:39 AM »

What does this say?