Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)  (Read 174294 times)

Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)
« Reply #360 on: August 11, 2011, 02:44:21 AM »
Thank you for your help :3

Hmm, I've been listening to Buta-Otome all day and I've been wondering if they've arranged the Following themes

- Apparitions Stalk the Night
- Hartmann's Youkai Girl
- Shou's Theme
- Heain Alien
- Any of Yuuka's themes
- Kanako's Theme
- Medicine's Theme

I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me if there are mixes of any of these by Buta-Otome.

Drake

« Reply #361 on: August 11, 2011, 03:33:20 AM »
Well the genre is orchestral, I'm not exactly sure what you want. The piano in particular?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #362 on: August 11, 2011, 09:06:40 AM »
Based on a quick scan through VGMDB from the songs you listed they have arrangers of Flower of Japan and Inanimate Dream. Their new albums (to be released in a few days) are going to have Heian Alien and Flower Land.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #363 on: August 11, 2011, 03:53:05 PM »
In th075, everyone fights Suika on the 幻想郷 stage. Is this 幻想郷 'the' Gensokyo, or some illusionary village somewhere in Gensokyo?
Signature

« Reply #364 on: August 11, 2011, 04:00:29 PM »
Based on a quick scan through VGMDB from the songs you listed they have arrangers of Flower of Japan and Inanimate Dream. Their new albums (to be released in a few days) are going to have Heian Alien and Flower Land.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it :3

As for Suika's stage, it's not really a specific location in Gensokyo. Hmm, If I'm understanding correctly, Yukari gaps you to Suika, who is spread all over gensokyo. Or was it that she shrunk Suika's boundary which made her more dense so she had to appear. So maybe they were at the shrine? I'm sorry i couldn't really give a solid answer ^^'

Drake

« Reply #365 on: August 11, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »
In th075, everyone fights Suika on the 幻想郷 stage. Is this 幻想郷 'the' Gensokyo, or some illusionary village somewhere in Gensokyo?
Hmm, If I'm understanding correctly, Yukari gaps you to Suika, who is spread all over gensokyo. Or was it that she shrunk Suika's boundary which made her more dense so she had to appear.
It's both. In nearly every scenario, Yukari only says "well now you can see her". In Yuyuko's scenario, Yuyuko mentions that the disappearance of the fragrance of tea over time, is really just the fragrance being spread over a wide area and becoming thinner, and it never truly disappears. Ergo, she knows what's up. She asks Yukari to form a boundary over Gensokyo, and shrink it to reveal the culprit. The stage where you battle is really a shrunken boundary containing all of Gensokyo. It's also why you don't actually see Yukari even though she repeatedly speaks in certain scenarios.

« Reply #366 on: August 12, 2011, 10:14:22 PM »
I've been wondering about Imperishable Night lately.

You know how IN's lunatic description is "paschal moon"? Also, one of Kaguya's last spell is named [... Paschal moon].

I didn't know what "paschal moon" meant, so I did a quick research on google to find out that it's related to full moon near spring equinox--- and has something to do with Easter and Passover.

Now, how does 待宵 or a day before full moon in August 15 (lunar calendar) relate to a Christian holiday term... Is there something I am missing here? Or, was it the closest word the translators could find?

CS

• Undying hunger
  • Om nom nom
« Reply #367 on: August 16, 2011, 01:15:50 PM »
I have a little question, I don't think I've seen it being asked before so...

What's the difference between a ban and a probation here? From what I know, a user under probation can still send PMs, but is that all there is to it?
Madness?

« Reply #368 on: August 16, 2011, 03:21:05 PM »
Copypasta from here: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,9238.0.html

Probated = you cannot post at all, but you can read as normal.  PMs are not blocked but this is mostly so you can get in contact with the staff.  If you harass via PM we have a separate group to block those privileges.

I assume Banned means you can't view the forum at all. Can't say for sure though.

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #369 on: August 18, 2011, 06:19:45 AM »
Yukari's dress has 2 trigrams: Dui and Kun (Lake and Earth) as you can see here.

Is there any meaning to it or it's just ZUN's putting patterns randomly? Because there is only Later Heaven Ba Gua that these two placed next to each others. However, The order should be Kun - Dui not the other way around. Is this implying something? As Kun is Wood (Yang) and Dui is Metal (Yin), they shouldn't be together because the conflict is just unbearable.

We know that in ancient time, the Chinese believe the direction is to be the opposite to us now, so the North-east should be South-west our way, which again implies nonsense because we all know Touhou means The East, and Yukari is the Youkai Sage. If it tells where she came from (she's blonde, so obviously is not Asian), then why is she using trigrams on her clothes? Does it mean she was from somewhere in the South-west of Japan, but also use trigrams? China and Vietnam are out of the question, but is there anywhere in the world that has blonds and ba gua?

The Hexagram has the concepts that close to the Later Heaven Ba Gua:

And talking about a country with a hexagram as a hint, I can only think of Israel. Anyone can tell me if there is any blonde in Israel?

« Reply #370 on: August 18, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
Very interesting. I'm not equipped to answer the question, but fortunately the wiki is: http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Yukari_Yakumo#Appearance

The outfit Yukari wears in Immaterial and Missing Power, Imperishable Night, and Scarlet Weather Rhapsody has two groups of solid/broken lines called trigrams on the front. A solid line represents Yang and a broken line is Yin. The top trigram (☱) is "dui" or "tui" (open) and is associated with west and water. The bottom trigram (☷) is "kūn" (field) and is associated with southwest and earth, as well as Yoni (divine passage). The two trigrams together in that order form the hexagram for "clustering," "gathering together," and "finished." Sounds more fitting for Suika in a way...

The hexagram "Ts'ui" formed by the combination of "tui" and "kun" results in a meaning of gathering together to persevere towards a destination. This hexagram signifies also great wisdom which is necessary for leadership when directing an assembly together to create overall prosperity for everyone (for example a ruler). Yukari herself can be seen as an overseer of Gensokyo. Her ability to create borders would definitely give her the ability to bring everyone together (perhaps by force) while maintaining the harmony of the "created" world. Maybe this design was a critique on her abilities?

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #371 on: August 18, 2011, 07:35:26 AM »
I see, so it was just a coincidence that led me to Israel and Yukari being a Jew.
Still like it tho, it explains her intelligence.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #372 on: August 20, 2011, 12:53:45 AM »
Where would Youmu's soul be? Would it be split in two? Is it also going to be a half-human half-ghost soul?
Also who is Youmu? Is it Myon and Youmu as one person or Youmu just the human half, with Myon being only the representation of her ghost half without much thought on its own?
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #373 on: August 20, 2011, 02:26:26 AM »
Her human form and her ghost-half, as far as I know, are one Youmu with one mind.  Both of them can act in an independent fashion, but neither alone is Youmu.  As for her soul, I believe that it's singular as well, though I'm much less sure of this because her last name specifically refers to two different types of souls.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

« Reply #374 on: August 20, 2011, 06:29:33 AM »
Yeah, pretty much ... Quoting someone on my site:
Youmu's phantom-half is just her "higher soul" (the Hun or "Kon"), existing outside of her body but still metaphysically attached to her "lower soul" (the Po or "Paku"), which resides in her body.

The Po soul is the animal soul that animates the body. When Youmu dies, it will disappear, and her body will drop dead. Her phantom-half higher soul will then resolve itself into Youmu's ghost, to move on to the afterlife.
And Wikipedia has an article on "hun" and Po".

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #375 on: August 25, 2011, 08:43:42 AM »
I've found something strange: Every source I found on The Tale of A Bamboo Cutter, Kaguya's direct backstory, stated that it happened in the 10th century (901-1000). But the Gensokyo Timeline stated it was about 700.

I also couldn't find official information on Mokou being Fujiwara no Fuhito's daughter anywhere. (ZUN only said "Long ago, before she became immortal, she was the daughter of an aristocrat.")

Fujiwara is a big clan, but I don't think Fuhito can live until 10th century to be rejected by Kaguya (the wiki said he died in 720). Not to mention the oldest kid he ever had was born in 680, so Mokou can't be "born before The Tale of The Bamboo Cutter" which happened in 672 according to the Gensokyo Timeline.

Is there some mistake?

« Reply #376 on: August 25, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »
How does ZUN compose his music? By using all instruments by himself, isn't it practically hard?

« Reply #377 on: August 25, 2011, 05:33:22 PM »
How does ZUN compose his music? By using all instruments by himself, isn't it practically hard?

It's MIDI. ZUN uses a MIDI sequencer to compose.
I don't think he can play any instruments other than his keyboard and maybe his old trumpet.

« Reply #378 on: August 25, 2011, 10:21:46 PM »
I've found something strange: Every source I found on The Tale of A Bamboo Cutter, Kaguya's direct backstory, stated that it happened in the 10th century (901-1000). But the Gensokyo Timeline stated it was about 700.

I also couldn't find official information on Mokou being Fujiwara no Fuhito's daughter anywhere. (ZUN only said "Long ago, before she became immortal, she was the daughter of an aristocrat.")

Fujiwara is a big clan, but I don't think Fuhito can live until 10th century to be rejected by Kaguya (the wiki said he died in 720). Not to mention the oldest kid he ever had was born in 680, so Mokou can't be "born before The Tale of The Bamboo Cutter" which happened in 672 according to the Gensokyo Timeline.

Is there some mistake?
ZUN takes liberties everywhere.

Cheez101

• Yes I confess I am a ⑨.
  • What are you not okay with that.
« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2011, 03:40:50 PM »
hi again people :]

So, when ever i play IN on easy, Well, i've onlty actually beaten it once on easy  :3, but how do you get to go to battle Kaguya as the final boss instead of Eirin?  ???
Oh yeah, also to get the extra boss in EoSD and PCB  you just have to beat it without using any continues on normal or higher, yes?
And in IN to get the extra boss do you have to not use any continues or just complete the Five impossible requests, or both? And im guessing that you have to not die on any of the five impossible requests, or do you have capture them too?
One more thing...How do you unlock Characters in IaMP? So far I have reimu, marisa, sakuya, youmu, alice, and patchouli.
Sorry for asking so many questions. kthxbye  :derp:
Flandre Scarlet will eat your potato salad if you don't go eat it first. :D kidding.

Cheez101

« Reply #380 on: August 26, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »
oh yea i forgot, I know how to declare your spellcard in IaMP but how do you  actually use it? :ohdear:
Flandre Scarlet will eat your potato salad if you don't go eat it first. :D kidding.

Lelacrime

• Don't hurt me!
« Reply #381 on: August 26, 2011, 09:58:18 PM »
Uhh, this is a weird question. Please bear with me, I'm new here and I'm not sure if this question is entirely appropriate ._.

I was planning on getting a tattoo soon, and I wanted to get one of the lotus seal that appears in the background during Byakuren's spells. http://i.imgur.com/8BD1J.png
 But as you can clearly see, it is constantly rotating, blocked by bullets, and the image is not entirely on the screen. I was wondering if it is possible to rip (am I allowed to say that?) the image from the game somehow, or if there was a collection of background images used throughout the stages in Touhou in general.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #382 on: August 26, 2011, 10:45:29 PM »
I was wondering if it is possible to rip (am I allowed to say that?) the image from the game somehow, or if there was a collection of background images used throughout the stages in Touhou in general.
Might want to check out Drake's thread on rips of graphics from the Touhou games.

Drake

« Reply #383 on: August 26, 2011, 10:47:47 PM »
http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,197.0.html
Quote from: you
oh, my hero~!

oh yea i forgot, I know how to declare your spellcard in IaMP but how do you  actually use it? :ohdear:
236D

So, when ever i play IN on easy, Well, i've onlty actually beaten it once on easy  :3, but how do you get to go to battle Kaguya as the final boss instead of Eirin?  ???
beat eirin, and then the next time you play with that team/character, you go to stage 6b. if you beat that, you get to choose as long as you haven't continued (if you continue you go to 6a).

Oh yeah, also to get the extra boss in EoSD and PCB  you just have to beat it without using any continues on normal or higher, yes?
yes

And in IN to get the extra boss do you have to not use any continues or just complete the Five impossible requests, or both?
no, as long as you get to the last spells (and don't continue) it's considered cleared, even if you hit 5AM.

(the last five are not the impossible requests, by the way)

One more thing...How do you unlock Characters in IaMP? So far I have reimu, marisa, sakuya, youmu, alice, and patchouli.
for arcade mode and practice and such, just fight each in any story mode and beat them. meiling you have to download a v1.11 patch and beat story mode at least once for one character
for the rest of the story modes, just beat all the already-available story modes

CS

• Undying hunger
  • Om nom nom
« Reply #385 on: August 26, 2011, 11:17:27 PM »
yes

I thought that's only for EoSD? I 1cced PCB on Easy and still managed to unlock extra.
Madness?

Drake

« Reply #386 on: August 26, 2011, 11:20:19 PM »
PCB you can 1cc on Easy yes, but the answer to the question was still yes, and I'm all for telling people otherwise so they start playing Normal earlier :D

Cheez101

« Reply #387 on: August 27, 2011, 12:10:24 AM »
Oh thank you lots, but uhh...

oh yea i forgot, I know how to declare your spellcard in IaMP but how do you  actually use it?

236D

Only prob is Im weird and don't use the num pad I use regular arrow keys :ohdear: So wat do i do now?   I is confused. :derp:

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #388 on: August 27, 2011, 12:40:35 AM »
Standard fighting game notation is to use numpad directions as shorthand - so instead of "down, down-forward, forward, attack D", it's just 236D. I don't think anyone actually uses the numpad for movement, it's just much shorter to write.

Cheez101

« Reply #389 on: August 27, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »
oh thanks I just got IaMP two days ago...bit clueless :derp: