Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)  (Read 174294 times)

Drake

Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)
« Reply #240 on: April 07, 2011, 04:07:03 PM »
"Extra Extra Bomb".

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2011, 05:28:05 PM »
This might be the wrong thread to ask, but MotK has a Skype group, correct? I would like to join it sometime.

« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »
Is there any consensus on Maribel's last name? (subtext: Is it worth going through A Different Story Of An Eastern Wonderland and changing it from "Han" to "Hearn"?) It's just, uh, been preying on my mind.

Drake

« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2011, 09:08:13 PM »
The evidence to support an intentional link between Yukari and Maribel leans very heavily towards Hearn. The fact the Maribel's name isn't Japanese to begin with (or rather the fact that she isn't Japanese) supports it even further.

Not sure about a universal consensus, but there's just no ignoring it.

« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2011, 09:10:30 PM »
The katakana for her name is somewhat ambiguous as to its meaning, so people just stuck with the romanization and called it a day.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2011, 10:59:38 PM »
And there's always the Lafcadio Hearn -> Koizumi Yakumo reference that is too good to be just a coincidence.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #246 on: April 15, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »
Why was Princess Sakuya so intent on having Mokou and Iwakasa duke it out for the Hourai Elixir? Was it that dangerous to her?
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

Kyaksa

• Fred-Erika Bernkastel Mirrors Rika's True Nature: Spoiled child
  • When They Cry: You are probably dead now
« Reply #247 on: April 16, 2011, 11:07:18 AM »
Has Zun ever played or ever remarked if he's even tried playing the most well-known Fanmade CtC? If he didn I'd be curiose to know what he thought of it.

Shady_Ghost

• #totes
  • #legit
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2011, 02:28:22 AM »
Yo guiz im looking for a fan pic from podd but it may have been a diff game.  All i can remember was mima and marisa were laughing at reimu and genjii was there too along with the other chars.    Also it may have been in a chibi style but im not entirely sure.  it was on danbooru if that helps.  any help would be appreciated  :V hmm now that i think about it someone posted it on an irc but i forgot who it was but i think it was on touhou-meido.  Hope this info suffices  :ohdear:
2lazy2createbettersig

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Shady_Ghost

• #totes
  • #legit
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2011, 03:38:57 AM »
See if it's any of these:
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post?tags=genjii+kirisame_marisa&commit=Search

Danbooru, NSFW, etc.
ah darn i didn't see it.  thanx for trying though.
2lazy2createbettersig

Conqueror

« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2011, 03:52:13 AM »
Actually, this is probably it then.

http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=1113621

The version on danbooru got deleted.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:54:20 AM by Conqueror »

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.

Shady_Ghost

• #totes
  • #legit
« Reply #252 on: April 21, 2011, 04:09:00 AM »
Actually, this is probably it then.

http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=1113621

The version on danbooru got deleted.

omfg ilu so much thank you so much.  You just put my 5 hrs of searching to rest.  again thank you so much.  :D
2lazy2createbettersig

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #253 on: April 21, 2011, 07:08:30 AM »
I remember a long time ago, after SA came out, that somebody posted a pretty good idea for a fanfic about Koishi in the comment section of a Youtube video. I only remember a few plot points (like Cirno going insane and freezing frogs, only to be found by Suwako and Koishi trying to get rid of her third eye).

The thing is, I have no idea what video that was posted on, the only actual indication being that I posted a comment on there saying that it sounds like a good fanfic, but nothing else.

Is there somebody else who may know what I'm talking about here?

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2011, 07:48:17 AM »
I don't know of any such youtube video with that in the comments, though the story sounds awfully familiar, even if it's a year late to be right after SA came out (since it was written for Cirno Day '09). 

If you find that video, tell me. o_o

Conqueror

« Reply #255 on: April 21, 2011, 08:48:21 AM »
Try looking through your Youtube Account History: With any luck someone will have responded to your original comment and the reply will appear in the "Messages" section.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #256 on: April 22, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »
I only remember that I posted a comment on that video, but I didn't get a response myself.

« Reply #257 on: April 23, 2011, 11:29:52 PM »
I have a few questions.

1. The Great Hakurei Barrier. Isn't it a one-way deal? Meaning, you can go in from the outside but you can't go out from the inside? I say this because of the existence of Mayohiga, as it states that you can supposedly wander in from the outside. And that village really does exist in Touhou, it's where you fight Chen in TH7, so... I know it says it's speculation on the Mayohiga page, but...

2. About Kaguya's Perfect Memento article:
It's said she can manipulate parallel timelines by using these moments.
Just what does that mean?

3. Where does it say that danmaku deals purely spiritual damage? I've read this somewhere, but I don't think it was canon. I know that the concept is that you're to limit the use of your powers and try not to kill the opponent, but...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:31:59 PM by Silverkun »

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #258 on: April 24, 2011, 12:06:12 AM »
I have a few questions.

1. The Great Hakurei Barrier. Isn't it a one-way deal? Meaning, you can go in from the outside but you can't go out from the inside? I say this because of the existence of Mayohiga, as it states that you can supposedly wander in from the outside. And that village really does exist in Touhou, it's where you fight Chen in TH7, so... I know it says it's speculation on the Mayohiga page, but...

2. About Kaguya's Perfect Memento article:Just what does that mean?

3. Where does it say that danmaku deals purely spiritual damage? I've read this somewhere, but I don't think it was canon. I know that the concept is that you're to limit the use of your powers and try not to kill the opponent, but...

1. As this page explains, outsiders can return to the Outside World via Hakurei Shrine.

2. That I do not know. It could mean that Kaguya can actually control what is happening in alternate timelines by making a single short moment eternal and look at the outcomes, but that is mere speculation.

3. Physical damage is useless against youkai. Therefore, spiritual attacks are preferred and most likely compose danmaku. Besides, after battle you do not see the girls wounded, having only torn clothing at worst, which might just be caused by the force of danmaku.

Drake

« Reply #259 on: April 24, 2011, 12:08:20 AM »
1. No. As Gensokyo began as a place to seal away the youkai, naturally it was meant as a get-in-and-stay-in. The Hakurei Barrier itself isn't this barrier though; the Hakurei Barrier is the barrier that seals Gensokyo from the outside world. You don't get in or out from there; it is the actual seal. You can go to the Hakurei Shrine from both Gensokyo and the outside world, but they are not the same one, and you cannot cross over either way without the help of the Shrine Maiden (who might not even technically open the barrier). That being said, there are many other barriers and weaknesses in those barriers that "allow" people to come in. This is for the most part a one-way gate. But, I would be lying if I said it was an absolute one-way.

2. Think of it this way. An eternity is a singularity of a period of time; that is there are no changes and you cannot change it. An instant is also a singularity of a period of time, but this state came from another instant and will at some point change into another instant. Depending on how you look at it, an eternity and an instant are the same. Kaguya can control an instant and she can control an eternity, being able to alter an instant and turn it into an eternity as to last it forever, or she can turn an eternity into an instant. Up to a certain instant, the house of Eientei did not exist in Gensokyo's timeline. Kaguya manipulated the eternity that contained her house, and turned it into an instant, thereby letting the timeline flow and the house of Eientei just popping up. But as the timeline with Eientei and the timeline without Eientei are different, you could say she manipulated these parallel timelines in that instant. It isn't the same as Sakuya's abilities, but it's similar in that it "stops" time (instant->eternity) and "resumes" time (eternity->instant).

3. http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento:_Encyclopedia:_Presence

This is also a good read, and solidifies that youkai may die from spiritual attacks. http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/ZUN%27s_E-mails

« Reply #260 on: April 24, 2011, 12:51:36 AM »
1. As this page explains, outsiders can return to the Outside World via Hakurei Shrine.

2. That I do not know. It could mean that Kaguya can actually control what is happening in alternate timelines by making a single short moment eternal and look at the outcomes, but that is mere speculation.

3. Physical damage is useless against youkai. Therefore, spiritual attacks are preferred and most likely compose danmaku. Besides, after battle you do not see the girls wounded, having only torn clothing at worst, which might just be caused by the force of danmaku.

...I should really read more of PMiSS than I have. For a while, I just read some of it at a time and largely put it off, but then I found out about the existence of this and I realized from that that you can basically pick and choose what to believe from the articles because you can't know which facts Akyuu is just pulling out of her ass for the most part.

One more thing though. I really have no idea what to make of this either:
"Gensokyo was already sealed by the Hakurei border, so the Lunarians wouldn't have been able to enter Gensokyo to begin with."
After all, the Lunarians have technology and abilities beyond anyone's imagination. It's to the extent that Yukari herself said it was impossible to beat those of the moon, and she's been there personally, so I'm sure she would know... There's no way that they can't find a way to pass through the boundary between reality and illusion, especially since the Lunar Capital exists within a similar boundary.

Additionally, Toyohime used her powers to enter Gensokyo in SSiB/CiLR/Inaba.

1. No. As Gensokyo began as a place to seal away the youkai, naturally it was meant as a get-in-and-stay-in. The Hakurei Barrier itself isn't this barrier though; the Hakurei Barrier is the barrier that seals Gensokyo from the outside world. You don't get in or out from there; it is the actual seal. You can go to the Hakurei Shrine from both Gensokyo and the outside world, but they are not the same one, and you cannot cross over either way without the help of the Shrine Maiden (who might not even technically open the barrier). That being said, there are many other barriers and weaknesses in those barriers that "allow" people to come in. This is for the most part a one-way gate. But, I would be lying if I said it was an absolute one-way.

2. Think of it this way. An eternity is a singularity of a period of time; that is there are no changes and you cannot change it. An instant is also a singularity of a period of time, but this state came from another instant and will at some point change into another instant. Depending on how you look at it, an eternity and an instant are the same. Kaguya can control an instant and she can control an eternity, being able to alter an instant and turn it into an eternity as to last it forever, or she can turn an eternity into an instant. Up to a certain instant, the house of Eientei did not exist in Gensokyo's timeline. Kaguya manipulated the eternity that contained her house, and turned it into an instant, thereby letting the timeline flow and the house of Eientei just popping up. But as the timeline with Eientei and the timeline without Eientei are different, you could say she manipulated these parallel timelines in that instant. It isn't the same as Sakuya's abilities, but it's similar in that it "stops" time (instant->eternity) and "resumes" time (eternity->instant).

3. http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento:_Encyclopedia:_Presence

This is also a good read, and solidifies that youkai may die from spiritual attacks. http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/ZUN%27s_E-mails
1. Ok, but what are the other barriers that allow you to reach Mayohiga that you speak of?

2. This is difficult to understand, but I think I kind of get it... Maybe. Uh... Well, I always thought of it differently. The article explains that she's able to "act in periods of time so short as to be imperceptible to human beings" and that "these periods are just aggregates of moments in time" so... The way I see it, manipulation of the instant is sort of like compressing time isn't it? For example, you could walk from one side of the room to the other in an instant, and to any normal human it would look as though you just teleported. From Kaguya's perspective, while she is using the instant manipulation it would look like time is passing normally aside from the fact that most everything around her would appear as though time had stopped. But she could still move normally. It would actually be far more efficient than stopping time because you can still affect things around you, for example instead of having to merely place knives around your target and hope they hit, you can just leisurely go up to them and stab them in your compressed time space, and for them it would be the same as though you had just moved faster than they could possibly react. And I highly doubt most people could react fast enough, because as we see in chapter 19 of SSiB, an instant is basically equal to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femtosecond
Thinking about it like what you're saying though, maybe it could be like... Kaguya is creating her own timeline by equating her movement to a femtosecond in the real timeline. Does that make sense?

Well, the whole 'Eientei did not exist in Gensokyo's timeline' is confusing, especially since Tewi found out about its existence in CiLR...

3. I see. I just read the first link, I'll read the second now.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:03:23 AM by Silverkun »

Drake

« Reply #261 on: April 24, 2011, 02:58:12 AM »
During the full moon the path between the earth and the moon become open, and this is how the Lunarians travel to earth. The emissaries the moon sent to find Kaguya and Eirin could never find them after Gensokyo was sealed, so they stopped trying to find them. Reisen came to the earth on a full moon to escape the lunar war (~1969), and came into Gensokyo afterwards by some unknown means. She learned about Gensokyo, and went to go live there. Decades later (pre-IN), when some Lunarians said they would come and find Reisen, Eirin and Kaguya for a final war (due to humans attempting to build a moon base), it was unfounded. None of them knew that they couldn't though, which is why they sealed the true moon away during the period of the full moon (events of IN). The final war also never went through.

Toyohime essentially godhaxed her way into Gensokyo, rather than wandering in.

« Reply #262 on: April 24, 2011, 03:05:52 AM »
Well, even if you say that, Toyohime is one of two leaders of the lunar emissaries... If she can hax her way into Gensokyo and bring others with her, and moreover if it's possible for them to wander in from the outside, then saying that the lunarians can't get in is false.

Drake

« Reply #263 on: April 24, 2011, 03:39:45 AM »
I would agree, but if she could hax her way into Gensokyo, is there really even anything stopping her from traveling to and from the moon at any time? Did Kaguya even really matter much to the Lunarians? Were the emissaries sent to bring Kaguya back simply exiled Lunarians that were sent to their deaths unknowingly? You never know. If anything, Eirin was a much more important Lunarian figure, and they left them alone simply because Eirin was with her. Or something.

EDIT: I should reread IMIE. There's probably an inkling of explanation in there somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:41:23 AM by Drake »

« Reply #264 on: April 24, 2011, 05:17:12 AM »
IIRC, Inabas doesn't really explain anything new. It's just a bunch of continuous shenanigans.

« Reply #265 on: April 24, 2011, 07:56:08 PM »
I would agree, but if she could hax her way into Gensokyo, is there really even anything stopping her from traveling to and from the moon at any time? Did Kaguya even really matter much to the Lunarians? Were the emissaries sent to bring Kaguya back simply exiled Lunarians that were sent to their deaths unknowingly? You never know. If anything, Eirin was a much more important Lunarian figure, and they left them alone simply because Eirin was with her. Or something.

EDIT: I should reread IMIE. There's probably an inkling of explanation in there somewhere.
Sorry about this rant here in advance, I just kinda got started typing and it kept going... And it ended up pretty off-topic. Not to mention, you probably already know most of this.

There probably wouldn't be anything stopping Toyohime at any time, after all she was seen using it even after the full moon had passed. Even Yukari can't move between the two unless it's a full moon.

Kaguya mattered to some extent, I'm sure, as she was royalty... But, she's on earth, and it seems that the Lunarians don't actually care that much about earth from what I read (they appear to see watching over and messing with the earth as a game, if anything...). Well, it was said by Eirin in CiLR that, understandably, even if Kaguya had taken the second chance they gave her... Life wouldn't have been the same for her as it was before she drank the elixir. The fact that she had sinned would remain, and Lunarians just can't seem to overlook anything like that no matter what (for example, look at the fact that Chang'e is STILL imprisoned on the moon and the rabbits are pounding mochi there to help take away some of her punishment even now).

The emissaries that went to give Kaguya a second chance back then did find her, and she would have been taken back to the moon by now if Eirin had not turned traitor. Eirin alone is more powerful than Kaguya is (see here).

Eirin is one of the founders though (and consequently one of Tsukuyomi's most trusted friends), so she would be way more important. And in fact, in CiLR it's made clear that the Lunarians have not forgotten about Kaguya/Eirin/Reisen at all, in any sense of the word. However, the only ones who keep watch over the earth and look for them are the emissaries, which consist of no one but the Watatsukis and some largely useless bunnies. And the Watatsukis say explicitly, also in CiLR, that as far as they're concerned... They'll never find the exiles. Yes, they have found them, but they won't be telling anyone else on the moon that they have because they're still loyal to Eirin.

Since everyone else on the moon just seems to go about their everyday lives without giving a shit about the earth, the fact that Eirin is among the exiles is probably a good enough reason as far as they're concerned for why the emissaries wouldn't have been able to find them even after 1000+ years.

And as far as Reisen goes? The bunnies of the moon have very low social status, so I don't think any of the Lunarians actually care that much if one or two of them go missing (see for example how easy it was for the emissaries to cover up Reisen II's escape just by giving her a different name). The only ones who can use the long-distance bunny telepathy ability are the bunnies themselves, so the one who spoke to Reisen in Kaguya's profile is just a bunny... And in CiLR, it's made quite clear that bunnies just love gossip and you can never be sure whether what they're saying is true or not. Since most of them seem to be such weaklings, they probably did feel quite a bit of alarm at the situation with the humans, but if said humans actually fought with the Lunarians instead of the rabbits? There would be no contest, the Lunarians could wipe them out of existence in an instant (literally, especially if Toyohime's fan has anything to say about it).

Since the emissaries only consist of the sisters (main fighting force, can't just go off and look for a stray bunny during a war) and the bunnies (would never be able to find Reisen), you can see that the threat to Reisen was probably an idle one.

Life on the moon generally seems to be very empty, even if it is much more pleasant. Comparatively, life on earth is much more emotional. Or at least, Kaguya thinks so (this was said in her IN profile). If they care that much at all about the exiles at this point, I would think that's for one of two reasons:
1. Eirin.
2. Potential critical info leaks and rebellion, or something like that.

Since the earth is basically one big pile of trash to the Lunarians, it would make sense that they wouldn't actually give a shit about a traitor who even turned down their offer of mercy. They already see the earth as a place they send exiles to anyway. Eirin's emotion of guilt for what happened to Kaguya has to be more than anything any other Lunarian ever felt for the princess. In fact, their offer of "mercy" to her was almost definitely very half-assed.

So the only reason the Watatsukis would have probably been sent after Reisen (especially in the middle of a supposed war) is if the people of the moon thought they might end up dealing with those issues in the process.

Drake

« Reply #266 on: April 24, 2011, 08:17:54 PM »
I agree with all of that.

draganuv15

« Reply #267 on: April 25, 2011, 01:31:21 PM »
how is Keine's first name actually pronounced?
Is it pronouced like Kaine from Nier? or like Kain?

Conqueror

« Reply #268 on: April 25, 2011, 01:36:19 PM »
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/File:Keine.ogg

Assuming Drake's pronunciation is correct.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:38:26 PM by Conqueror »

« Reply #269 on: April 25, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
Since there are no questions being asked/discussed at the moment, I have one more.

The great barrier was created roughly 125 years ago from what I understand. Why does it say "over 500 years ago" here?