Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)  (Read 174553 times)

AnonymousPondScum

Is she flying higher than you or soon we'll see some game like "Touhou 16: Mystical Flying Giants"?

I want to play this now, because it sounds like it'd be hysterical.  :V

Why the bosses are bigger than the girls that you are playing. For example in this pic her head is almost Reimu's body size. Is she flying higher than you or soon we'll see some game like "Touhou 16: Mystical Flying Giants"?

Clearly, all bosses must be bigger than regular characters. This is their screen time you know?

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Why the bosses are bigger than the girls that you are playing. For example in this pic her head is almost Reimu's body size. Is she flying higher than you or soon we'll see some game like "Touhou 16: Mystical Flying Giants"?
The need of gameplay (makes bosses easier to see, and allows bosses to have a large hitbox), as well as the need to better convey the boss's character (compare 16-bit RPGs like Final Fantasy VI, where bosses are huge and stylishly drawn, and your party are super-deformed sprites).

Both IN Spell Practice mode and PoFV allow your character to go against herself as a boss!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:27:12 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
And when you compare Touhou to other shmups, the boss:player size ratio is actually much smaller. In everything from Warning: Forever to DDP to Strikers, the boss is some enormous beast that completely dwarfs your sprite.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
Uh oh, nice arguments about the "enormous beasts" :P. Talking about IN, noob question time. What is that yellow number under the spellcard names? For example in this pic it is +10(10)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:35:33 PM by Kaze_Senshi »
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Drake

Number of familiars currently on the screen, and number of familiars that have appeared during the fight that weren't blown up.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

AnonymousPondScum

So is knowing Master Spark or any of its variants a badge of instant badassery or something? :V

Also, how strong IS Yuuka? I'm confused as to whether it's just "strong magic user" or "strong as in could punch bears to the moon".
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:17:16 AM by SacredSwimmyReptile »

What's Miko's and Byakuren's relationship with like?

As in, do they hate each other to the point of being enemies or is it something else?
It isn't quite clear, but they seem to be sort of "political rivals" in Symposium.

Drake

So is knowing Master Spark or any of its variants a badge of instant badassery or something? :V
Not really, the only other user (or rather, the original user) is Yuuka and she isn't really canonically badass per se. Marisa's pretty badass though.

Also, how strong IS Yuuka? I'm confused as to whether it's just "strong magic user" or "strong as in could punch bears to the moon".
Probably both.

cuc

There's another Master Spark-like spell card: Tenshi's "SWR of All Mankind". Marisa herself thought so in GoM.

I've seen it brought up on an English forum (probably not MotK) that if you look at Marisa's spell card naming closely, you'll see that the only SC named "Love Sign" that's not a variation of Master Spark is "Non-Directional Laser", which she stole from Patchouli. Marisa's other laser-firing spell cards are generally named things like "Light Sign". It's quite possible that "Love Sign" is for spells she stole, and if true, then even in Windows canon, Master Spark is stolen from Yuuka.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:32:23 AM by cuc »

Theivery is a sign of love~

cuc

More big laser blast weapons:
Eiki's "Last Judgement" (PoFV), Utsuho's Light Energy "High-Tension Blade" (Soku).

Is there more? Technically Tenshi's isn't a laser blast, more like a spirit blast.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:57:11 AM by cuc »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
Number of familiars currently on the screen, and number of familiars that have appeared during the fight that weren't blown up.

Thank you Drake :D And you only want to steal what you love, so for me is valid to use "Love sign" :P
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Zil

Is there more? Technically Tenshi's isn't a laser blast, more like a spirit blast.
Gengetsu has one. I feel like Alice has something in one of the fighting games. Also Fairy Destruction Ray, though it's clearly modelled after Master Spark. Then I dunno if you want count Rikako's bomb. To me it looks like a laser that takes up the whole screen, but who knows.

cuc

I've been told about this... Is that common knowledge in the West? It might be generally accepted among Japanese fans, at least the type of fans who care about this stuff.

How to read the tengu's newspaper numbers?

The facts:
Nearly all papers we see have very small numbers after the month, no larger than 5.
The only exception is Mystia's article in BAiJR. It's numbered Year 120, 13th of October.

The speculation:
The months are months in the youkai's own lunar calendar system, which is widely used by the tengu (CoLA), not Gensokyo's Gregorian calendar.
Since the standard time unit in the youkai calendar is longer than a day (CoLA), the number following the month is not the day of the month.
Instead, it's most likely the number of issues in each month. "1st of February" means "the 1st issue of February".
It makes sense that Aya can make 4-5 issues of newspaper each month on her own.
The abnormal 13th issue is likely the result of a news competition, in which all tengu churn out many more papers than usual (CoLA).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:52:03 PM by cuc »

Drake

I doubt it's common knowledge, most Touhou canon seems to evade a majority of the western fandom lol. I believe it's an issue numbering as well, though. Notably, the date format isn't a usual 葉月五日, it's 葉月の五. However, in the articles themselves they clearly use the ○月○日 pattern and is probably meant to signify the Gregorian calendar that the rest of Gensokyo would use. I haven't been able to find any certainties confirming this is the case (mainly because I don't really care), but it would be silly for issues to come out every few days and coincidentally have the first ones be the ones that are shown in the books. Moreover, considering the days and months don't match with the Gregorian calendar, using that dating system would really confuse people. Using issue numbers instead removes that problem.

Also notably, both the Yoshika article and the Myouren Temple article in SoPM are published in the same issue. This is the only occurrence of two articles from the same issue being available so far.

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
Re: the newspaper numbers, I first discovered this while using Google Translate on thwiki.info's timeline, but there were a lot of things I wasn't really sure about it (I did make a note on en.touhouwiki.net's timeline, but then forgot about it). I'd like to get an idea of how well-known this is among Japanese fans, if possible.

There is one other aspect which supports this theory, and that is between Sakuya's article (119th season Hazuki 3rd, as per thwiki.info - I've confirmed that there is a transcription error in the article on the wiki, based on old revisions which are consistent with this date) and Imperishable Night (Harvest Moon Festival, so 15th day of 8th lunar month, same year), since said article mentions Sakuya gathering equipment to travel to the moon, which would be after Imperishable Night.

Incidentally, this article came from the same issue as Yukari's article.

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
Of the few danmaku fangames out there, do any have English patches?
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
Of all the titles that I know of:
*The Alternative Age: No attempt has been made, much text is still untranslated.
*Concealed the Conclusion: In progress, but we're still trying to work out how to overcome Danmakufu's hardcoded character limit so that replays don't desync; endings, spell card comments etc. are still untranslated anyway. See also here.
*Magical Singular Day: No attempt has yet been made.
*Marine Benefit: No attempt has yet been made, endings are untranslated (and untranscribed).
*Phantasm Romance: Not necessary (no story), though there is supposedly one somewhere in the forum.
*Phantasmagoria Trues: Not necessary (no story), though someone could probably whip one up if they wanted.
*Story of Eastern Wind: No real attempt has yet been made, half the game is untranscribed and untranslated.

etc.

See also: English Patch Index for fanmade games. Note conspicuous lack of 2D danmaku games.

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
Sucks, but I guess it doesn't matter that much. Thanks.
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

What is Rumbling Spell Orchestra and how do you play it?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Did you try Googling it, and then reading the article about it on the Touhou wiki?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

DSveno

• Oujo-sama's faithful servant
Anyone know what happen to that Valkyrie Profile Touhou game? The name is " 夢幻偽郷 ~ First Disaster". I heard it got released, but there is no one talking about it or any video of it on Nico.

I don't know what happened to the game, but  I know I saw this at this online shop:

http://auction.item.rakuten.co.jp/11181476/a/10000041/

Although... you won't find it at the four online shops that they listed in the main website and the game has no online shop listed to it. Unless that shop has some information in the description.

EDIT: What I'm curious is the descriptions in this link basically say, though. Anyone care to tell us if it's the trial version or the full version?

EDIT2: Nevermind, I can explain what really happened to the game: It was delayed. Before you display shock, allow me to explain:

I didn't see that the page I linked says it will come out next comiket. Also, if the game was actually out, they wouldn't be doing various pre-game launches  with more info at http://snowgale.chips.jp/. So really I think they decided they couldn't release it at Reitaisai 9 for some reason and this is the next best thing they could do.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:55:24 PM by Vilkni »

Drake

There is no full version, the game isn't completed as far as I know.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17421182

This is the most recent of it.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
Hey guys, I was looking some photos on lucky touhou dodges topic and I was thinking, do you need to watch ALL the replay until the part that you must take a photo with precision or re-watch the replay again, or is there a way to control the replay like a video (fast forward, stop, go back, etc )?
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Drake

MoF and on you can fast-forward with Ctrl. If you use the vsync patch you can also do this on the other games (at an FPS you can define), and can also slow down replays with Shift (also to a speed you can define).

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
Who first used ピチューン as the Touhou death SFX? And who popularized this word?

It did appear in Strange and Bright Nature Deity Vol. 1 Extra, but are there any older sources?
Signature

Drake

There's no initial source labeled on niconicopedia, so I doubt you'll get a real answer. It's just a sound effect; it was probably popularized just by someone transcribing the sound in a way people found good enough. It isn't really a meme or anything of the sort.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
What's the history behind the alt graphic patch for EoSD?