Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)  (Read 174550 times)

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)
« Reply #450 on: October 27, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »
Only the comments for IN, StB and DS (and Grimoire of Marisa) are by ZUN. The rest are quite well done, but fanmade.
Thanks for the reply!

« Reply #451 on: October 28, 2011, 07:26:09 AM »
Well, while reading through this thread, I saw a question and have to ask for confirmation, because I did not see an answer.
The question is, where does it say that danmaku does spiritual damage?
The answer I saw was a link to PMiSS and I clicked on that link, but it doesn't say anything like that, or did I miss a sentence or paragraph of it?
That link links to the PMiSS profile of youkai.

« Reply #452 on: October 28, 2011, 05:43:32 PM »
I don't recall anything ever stating that "danmaku" does spiritual damage specifically.  Just that youkai are vulnerable to spiritual damage.

Certianly, Danmaku can consist of spiritual attacks in some cases (soul butterflies, yin yang orbs, various ki attacks, or whatever else), but many times danmaku is actually physical objects too depending on what the user chooses to attack with.

Kogasa's thrown umbrellas in some of her spell cards, Aki's thrown sweet potatos, Remilia's used blood. The lunar rabbits' guns classified as valid danmaku when they beat Remilia's fairy maids. Alice uses exploding dolls sometimes (the control of the dolls is arguably spiritual because it's magic, but the explosions themselves are caused by gunpowder that she stuffs into the dolls, which is NOT spiritual).

And that's before you get to the oni, though admittingly what they're usually doing isn't actually really danmaku in the first place in many cases like Suika's giant stomp (yet everyone lets it slide, probably because the oni wouldn't have many other options otherwise)

As stated several times in Grimoire of Marisa, lethality doesn't matter in an official danmaku spell card duel. If I were to challenge you to a spell card duel and I threw an empty plastic can at you that hit you on the head, it would count as much as a valid hit as if I tossed a knife at you instead. ....don't do the latter unless you're dueling in Gensokyo, of course. ZUN's stated that death isn't as big a deal in there.

Drake

« Reply #453 on: October 28, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »
Just going to say that I know what you're talking about, since I was probably involved in that series of posts, but canonically it isn't ever explicitly stated that danmaku is a spiritual attack. However, it's pretty easy to assume it is, if you understand that youkai are hurt by spiritual attacks in the way that "if they lose a duel, that is a spiritual attack against them". 'Spiritual attack' does not signify a magical attack or ethereal attack, it's an attack based on principles, rules and self-worth, which is exactly what a danmaku duel is. For the sake of explaining what effect danmaku actually has, you might as well say that it deals spiritual damage, even if it isn't stated anywhere explicitly. As Tiamat just explained, danmaku can essentially be anything. Marisa uses both physical missiles and heat magic in her danmaku, but they're both just as valid. Going by SSiB, you could even say that danmaku is both physical and spiritual no matter how it is created or conjured. A loss constitutes a spiritual defeat, but danmaku also embodies physical properties; you can actually be hit by them, they can rip clothes, you can eat them, etc. Sakuya's knives are a physical object but also does not puncture or kill while being used as danmaku, and despite her being able to pull knives out of hammerspace and use them indefinitely, there's no distinguish between the actual knives used as danmaku and danmaku shaped as knives that she conjured using magic. Just to put things into perspective a bit.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #454 on: October 28, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »
Ooooh, if that's what you meant by "spiritual", then that's probably correct. ZUN has stated several times that in-game "lives" are basically "guts" and "motivation".

As an aside, regarding Sakuya's knives, he basically handwaved that when asked in an e-mail, saying that "her knives won't kill you if you're human. Or maybe they will, but death isn't too big a deal in Gensokyo" or.............. something like that. Too lazy to get the exact quote (it's in "ZUN's e-mails" on the wiki, IIRC). Obviously he was in at least a kinda joking mood when he made that response.

« Reply #455 on: October 28, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »
Oh okay, I just thought spiritual attack meant the stuff that Reimu does.
Well, youkai are weak to spiritual attacks, but they can also be hurt with other attacks, since Marisa seems to imply that her Master Spark
works against everyone, not that she is the most reliable person in the world, but she was about to use it on that youkai thing that
took over the three fairies' tree.

Shin Rokuren

• - 秘剣 -
  • 「ツバメ六連」
« Reply #456 on: October 30, 2011, 12:22:58 PM »
Does anyone know the music in this vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-81DCK3ots

I'm not sure whether this is some sort of remix or a music from an entirely different source. While I'm familiar with most Windows' games themes, I've heard some remixes that don't actually (or just has obscure hints) sound like their original themes.

DDRMANIAC007

• The DDR Maniac
  • Dance Dance Revolution
    • The Touhou stream blog
« Reply #457 on: October 30, 2011, 08:46:31 PM »
I need a clean translation.

alkolove1 has made a comment on Let's Play Demonophobia [Blind] - #1 - Welcome To Hell:

霰メホム トフム ヘチフマフナヤホノネ ミノトチメチモマラ
You can reply to this comment by visiting the comments page.

Drake

« Reply #458 on: October 30, 2011, 08:48:56 PM »
it's gibberish

DDRMANIAC007

• The DDR Maniac
  • Dance Dance Revolution
    • The Touhou stream blog
« Reply #459 on: October 30, 2011, 08:56:26 PM »
You sure about that? Could you explain the reasoning behind that?

Edit: Looking at the comments page, it's actually:

Херня для малолетних пидарасов

alkolove1 1 day ago

Can anyone translate cleanly?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:59:34 PM by DDRMANIAC007 »

Drake

« Reply #460 on: October 30, 2011, 09:11:43 PM »
what the hell how could you get a random mess of katakana out of cyrillic

google translate says something that i would take to mean "garbage for little fags" so you might as well just delete it

DDRMANIAC007

• The DDR Maniac
  • Dance Dance Revolution
    • The Touhou stream blog
« Reply #461 on: October 30, 2011, 09:21:26 PM »
what the hell how could you get a random mess of katakana out of cyrillic

google translate says something that i would take to mean "garbage for little fags" so you might as well just delete it
Katakana was in my e-mail.
Russian was on the actual comments page.

Cabble

• Ask me about my Cat.
  • Not unwilling to shank you.
« Reply #462 on: November 06, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
Simple question:

What is the most difficult piece to play on the piano from touhou. One that can be played with two hands.
I had a teacher who used to play radiohead during class once.

ONCE.

Drake

« Reply #463 on: November 06, 2011, 01:25:12 AM »
that isn't a simple question at all

you could make any song as complicated or uncomplicated as you wanted, really, so it's kind of extremely subjective and difficult to precisely answer

« Reply #464 on: November 07, 2011, 01:54:28 AM »
Hm...

Would anyone be able to tell me how 彩艶 is read? And it's translation isn't neccessary but would help.

it's from 桜影彩艶
EastNewSound's latest remix of Yuyuko's theme.

Drake

« Reply #465 on: November 07, 2011, 02:33:41 AM »
あやつや, from what I'm hearing.

Hideki

• ~La, la, la~
  • Texas Chensaw Massacre
« Reply #466 on: November 12, 2011, 09:47:03 AM »
which translation of Yuyuko's theme is more correct, Bloom Nobly, Cherry Blossoms of Sumizome ~ Border of Life, or Bloom Nobly, Ink-black Cherry Blossoms ~ Border of Life? 

Also Cirno's theme, Tomboyish Girl in Love, or Beloved Tomboyish Girl?

I see both ways on the wiki, and it annoys me.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:52:26 AM by Hideki »

Badass bookworms

Drake

« Reply #467 on: November 12, 2011, 10:06:07 AM »
Both, I suppose. Sumizome means dyed-black. The Cherry Blossoms of Sumizome is a story about a person who sang in mourning of the death of his friend, underneath a cherry tree. The cherry tree was touched by the song and bloomed dark blossoms. It's a reference to Yuyuko's background, or should I say vice-versa.

"Tomboy Love Girl". Make of it what you will.

« Reply #468 on: November 12, 2011, 10:24:53 AM »
Heh, wow, is that what it translates to?
Beloved Tomboyish Girl and Tomboyish Girl in Love have very different meanings.

qyot27

• Surreptitious moon rabbit
  • Counting Blue Cars
« Reply #469 on: November 12, 2011, 12:59:04 PM »
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/%E3%81%8A%E3%81%A6%E3%82%93%E3%81%B0%E6%81%8B%E5%A8%98#Stage_2_boss_-_Cirno.27s_theme
おてんば恋娘 (Otenba Koimusume, lit. "Tomboyish Girl in Love"; translated "Beloved Tomboyish Daughter" on the English patch)
So my guess is either
A) It's one of those instances where the connotation in Japanese differs from what the direct translation is, or
B) The translation in the EoSD English patch is questionable, since as pointed out above, 'beloved' and 'in love' mean two entirely different things.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:42:13 PM by qyot27 »

AxiamWolfe

• Virtual Jet Jockey too
  • 生存戦略!
« Reply #470 on: November 13, 2011, 01:06:41 AM »
Which version of the Touhou engine does PoFV run on? For that matter, what about Shoot the Bulet?

In the Windows era, EoSD, PCB and IN all share the same engine, while MoF, SA, UFO, DS, GFW and TD run on the newer one. So which side does the Touhou 9.x games fall on?

« Reply #472 on: November 16, 2011, 09:49:46 AM »
Ten desires have many confusing backstory:
1) where is seiga at the time miko was asleep at the mausoleum or also sealed?
2) Is soga really an ally? From her profile she seems to still hate taoism and futo. Then she came to hate buddhism, how did she hate buddhism?
3) How did her mausoleum ended up in gensokyo, what power did she use to make her mausoleum move without using yukari's power?

« Reply #473 on: November 17, 2011, 06:14:37 AM »
Ten desires have many confusing backstory:
1) where is seiga at the time miko was asleep at the mausoleum or also sealed?
2) Is soga really an ally? From her profile she seems to still hate taoism and futo. Then she came to hate buddhism, how did she hate buddhism?
3) How did her mausoleum ended up in gensokyo, what power did she use to make her mausoleum move without using yukari's power?

1. This isn't stated anywhere as far as I know.
2. Soga no Tojiko, being part of the Soga clan, was technically pro-Buddhism, and opposed the Mononobe clan, which was anti-Buddhism. However, both Tojiko and Futo were (secretly) followers of Miko and Taoism, and eventually grew to hate Buddhism.
3. Gensokyo is essentially a place where myths come to life, being mainly the youkai. But in the outside world, people began to believe that the feats of Prince Shoutoku (aka Toyosatomimi no Miko) were just myths, so she eventually wound up in Gensokyo as well. This is more or less the same thing as what Kanako did to move her shrine into Gensokyo when she was losing faith in the outside world, although this time it happened more passively.

« Reply #474 on: November 18, 2011, 08:32:52 AM »
I always wonder if ZUN aware of such international fandom of touhou...like this forum for example..?

Drake

« Reply #475 on: November 18, 2011, 07:39:08 PM »
Aware yes, but honestly we're pretty insignificant. Not only are we small in number, but we don't really do much for the gain of the worldwide Touhou fandom. A lot of what the western fandom does in terms of game modification is basically for the western fandom's gain alone; while we do have several implementations that help all fans, the primary portion of the western fandom's contributions are focused on leveling the playing field rather than furthering it, i.e. translations. Game translations, doujin translations, and so on. And even still, this is limited to altering what the eastern fandom and ZUN already have created. The western fandom's gross creative output (in terms of 'original' doujinshi, art, games, music) is quite low in proportion to the main portion of the fandom, likely mainly due to our numbers. But basically it's a main reason why we aren't really paid attention to nor catered to. The other main reason being, obviously, the language barrier.

As far as acknowledging the existence of particular areas of the fandom such as MotK, probably not. The western fandom is all a big blob anyways; we aren't all that divided and most of the fandom doesn't isolate themselves to one area, in fact that's precisely the reason why we all outwardly express distaste for all other fandom areas.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:43:16 PM by Drake »

« Reply #476 on: November 19, 2011, 05:58:27 AM »
In Sanae scenario ten desires, Miko calls herself as shoutoku ou, isnt that the real name... i mean which one is the real name Miko or Shoutoku?

Drake

« Reply #477 on: November 19, 2011, 06:56:17 AM »
On the way to Gensokyo he turned into the little girl and so took on a different name, obviously.

Just call her Miko; her character is based entirely on Shoutoku and is supposed to be him as a touhou. ZUN even mentions this being odd in Sanae's parallel end.

« Reply #478 on: November 19, 2011, 09:43:11 AM »
On the way to Gensokyo he turned into the little girl and so took on a different name, obviously.

Just call her Miko; her character is based entirely on Shoutoku and is supposed to be him as a touhou. ZUN even mentions this being odd in Sanae's parallel end.

ZUN mentions it at Sanae parallel ending? But i dont think it does...I know it is because of it is Touhou that character must be all girls, but must it really important to change name?
And, i want to know the software that Zun use, i know its MIDI, but.. look at this please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBjDMKr0K4k

This is the software right?  What is the name of the software?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:54:56 PM by Excelsus »

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #479 on: November 24, 2011, 07:21:58 AM »
Are these info real?  A friend of mine told me that these were taken from interviews with ZUN and forums that he posts at:

- ZUN said "there is no such thing as a tiger demon" and added that Shou "could have been a wolf before becoming a disciple of Bishamonten".

- He also said that Reimu is the weakest of the Hakurei clan, but has the most potential.

- He also admitted that Youmu is actually younger than 60, and jokes she could be either 52 or a little bit more.

- It seems that when Remilia and Flandre moved to Gensokyo, (with the castle that turned into the mansion after touching Gensokyo ground), Reimu was still a child.

- It may have taken her a year to get the fairies, and longer to get Meiling (who is the first high-ranking servant Remilia got).

- Meiling was, before Remilia changed her fate, a fallen dragon that killed anybody who got close to the lake.

- Before Remilia, that lake was called the Scarlet Lake, but after Meiling was the defeated, the lake healed and became the Misty Lake.

- About Meiling, when Remilia changed her fate, the dragon demon lost her memory, so to her, she's always been working for Remilia.

- Second to be recruited by Remilia was Patchouli.

- She used to live in the Human Village (before the village accepted demons, and Patchy was and still is considered a low-tier demon before being a magician).

- She was shunned because nobody understood her.   She, like now, loved knowledge (books) above anything else

- One day, Patchouli exposed herself by mistake and killed a few villagers after losing her mind.   Remilia came in and offered her library as a home.

- She changed Patchouli's fate so that the magician now believes she's been friends with Remilia for a VERY long time, and Patchouli used a book in Remilia's library to seal away all her old memories.

- Koakuma was in the library before Patchouli and knew where all the books were, so Patchy made a contract so that said little devil became her familiar.

- It is true that Yuyuko was shunned by the Saigyouji because of her power over death, which caused the accidental deaths of many family members when she was young.

- She and Yukari were friends since the former was alive, but facts on that are very little.

- The only friends Yukari had (that cared about her for real) were the Konpaku (yes, they were alive back then), and Yuyuko herself.

- He (ZUN) mentioned that Youki was alive and young when Yuyuko committed suicide.

- Not much is known between that, but ZUN said that the Konpaku, being half spirits/half human, age very slowly, and only Yuyuko saw their ghost halves.

There's also one about Eirin being over a million years old, but that one is obviously false because ZUN was drunk when he said that.

Anyway, I do know that a few are real (the Scarlet Sisters moving their mansion to Gensokyo and a some stuff about Yuyuko), but some like the dragon thing about Meiling doesn't sound true at all.

Can anyone please clarify these?  Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 10:34:54 AM by game2011 »