Author Topic: That Moon thread that someone had to start  (Read 21413 times)

Swiftwater

• Licking sweet bean paste, filled with sweet bean paste!!
  • You can even taste it on the outside...
Re: That Moon thread that someone had to start
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2012, 12:10:15 AM »
Can anyone tell me the relationship between Eirin and Sakuya?

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2012, 12:42:33 AM »

Last I checked, there is no answer to this whatsoever. So feel free to make up whatever you want.

Anyway, I've been intentionally avoiding this thread for a while now, but I just noticed that there seems to be some discussion over the fact that the Lunarians say they don't like killing. Some people take it at face value, and others reject it because it seems like they're just trying to look nice despite their cruel actions.

Of course, both of those answers miss the real point, which has everything to do with the Shinto concept of "kegare" which has been translated as "impurity". Basically everything anyone on the moon does ever has everything to do with impurity, and the avoidance of it. Impurity is associated with death, and is a bad thing. Shinto doesn't like impurity. You have to clean yourself before visiting shrines, and you're expected to avoid shrines if there's been a death in your family recently. There's even a subtle caste system in Japan revolving around families whose jobs deal with corpses, who are traditionally shunned and even now can have problems getting jobs. Point is, cleanliness is divine, and death is unclean. In the Touhou-verse, this is taken very far to the point where impurity is the only reason things die in the first place. So the Lunarians moved to the moon to get away from impurity, and drive off outsiders to keep impurity away. When Reimu threatens to shoot impurity, this is the only moment when Yorihime gets serious. This is just something they care about.

Which is all to say that they don't like killing on the moon because it gets the floor all dirty. It has nothing to do with morality or mercy or posturing or anything. It's just very messy and distasteful (in an almost sacrilegious way). This is also why they have no problem whatsoever slaughtering people who aren't on the moon. By the way, please try to stop tracking blood on all our carpets, filthy Earthlings.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:59:49 AM by Clarste »

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2012, 01:06:00 AM »

Last I checked, there is no answer to this whatsoever. So feel free to make up whatever you want.

Okay then: Sakuya is mother and/or babby of Kaguya and Eirin, is why she has grey hair and time powers.

By the way, if the moonarians are so pure, how do they have super booze? Fermentation relies on lil' organisms doing their thing all over the liquid, which I would imagine to qualify as pretty impure.

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2012, 01:25:54 AM »
By the way, if the moonarians are so pure, how do they have super booze? Fermentation relies on lil' organisms doing their thing all over the liquid, which I would imagine to qualify as pretty impure.

Fermentation is a gift from the gods. Seriously. In the old days shrine maidens would drink sake to become "closer to the gods". I guess gods spend all their time drunk? Actually, that does seem pretty reasonable.

Seriously though, it's a specific religious term. It doesn't just literally mean "filthy" or anything like that. I'm not an expert, but I only see it associated with death and disease, and not shit. First of all, it would probably be kind of hard to prevent anyone from visiting a shrine if they've gone to the bathroom recently...

Swiftwater

• Licking sweet bean paste, filled with sweet bean paste!!
  • You can even taste it on the outside...
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »
I think Sakuya's a lunarian

Just maybe

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
That Moon thread that someone had to start
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2012, 12:28:08 PM »
I would love to hear what evidence there is for Sakuya being Lunarian beyond "has white hair, so-and-so said they met before".

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »
I would love to hear what evidence there is for Sakuya being Lunarian beyond "has white hair, so-and-so said they met before".

There's also the timefcuk abilities, which Kaguya has an even better set of.

Other than that I've got nothing. \/ :V \/

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2012, 05:44:27 PM »
That's kind of what I hate about the whole Sakuya is a lunarian thing; It's based on some really random conjunctions and baseless facts. I mean, yes, if you're making your own doujin game or comic, go on, it can make an interesting story. But don't try to make people believe canon Sakuya is a lunarian, that makes no sense. Every character could be linked with another using some weird logic, like I could say that it's obvious that Medicine is actually a doll Yuuka lost a long time ago; They interact in PoFV, they both live in a field of flower, Yuuka is old enough to have dropped medicine in the field and still witness her living form 100 years later, and they both have a strange murderous side. Whooptie-doo, there is so much proofs, it's totally canon.

Sorry, I've just met so many people who defended the theory that Sakuya is a lunarian with so much determination that it gave me headaches.

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
Basically everything ZUN writes about Sakuya is designed to make her seem more mysterious. We know basically nothing about her past, but there are tons of hints thrown at us that pull in every direction. Is she a Lunarian? A vampire hunter? Time traveling serial killer? All of the above? It's a great starting point for doujin writers who are free to pick and choose the portrayals that interest them, but none of them are canon.

Tengukami

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2012, 06:27:59 PM »
Yeah, ZUN being vague about backstories seems to be more the default setting than the exception, to be honest. This and his general lax policy about fanworks has certainly been fuel for the doujin community.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2012, 07:47:29 PM »
Is she a Lunarian? A vampire hunter? Time traveling serial killer? All of the above?

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2012, 07:57:39 PM »

superior on-topic Lunarian terminator why do I still have this

Tengukami

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2012, 08:15:32 PM »
superior on-topic Lunarian terminator

Amazingly appropriate, too, when you compare the Terminator's and Yorihime's single-mindedness and nigh-indestructability.

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »
>starts a Moon thread
>works fine at first
>people are discussing
>thread starts dying
>after a little while, a photoshopped crap is posted

I'd rather have this thread locked than seeing it being spoiled with a shitty picture referring to a movie totally unrelated to Touhou.

Tengukami

« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »
>starts a Moon thread
>works fine at first
>people are discussing
>thread starts dying
>after a little while, a photoshopped crap is posted

I'd rather have this thread locked than seeing it being spoiled with a shitty picture referring to a movie totally unrelated to Touhou.

Do you think you're maybe over-reacting slightly? Looking at the dates of the posts, there was plenty of discussion going on up to and including October 22, which is the same day two images are posted that, while humorous, are on-topic. And then a week later, you post this.

Maybe instead of getting all pouty you could just re-rail the discussion? That is if we even accept a derail happened in the first place. Jeez.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
On second thought, forget I said anything.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:19:28 PM by Stealthy Shooty STALKER »

Tengukami

« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2012, 05:11:45 PM »
Welcome to MOTK. Derails happen. I politely recommend getting used to it.

No. No, no, no. That's not the message here. Derails are strongly discouraged, no one should "get used to them", and it'd be great if more people would show the respect to thread creators by not derailing them.

The point here rather is that Hart's observations are a bit inaccurate. Two pics were added in the midst of the discussion, the pics were (more or less) on topic, and then the conversation more or less petered out. Furthermore, getting pouty like this isn't exactly a great way to encourage people to get back into the subject.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:18:41 PM by Tengukami »

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »
No. No, no, no. That's not the message here. Derails are strongly discouraged, no one should "get used to them", and it'd be great if more people would show the respect to thread creators by not derailing them.

The point here rather is that Hart's observations are a bit inaccurate. Two pics were added in the midst of the discussion, the pics were (more or less) on topic, and then the conversation more or less petered out. Furthermore, getting pouty like this isn't exactly a great way to encourage people to get back into the subject.

Alright, apologies. I rescinded my post so as not to broadcast the wrong idea.