Author Topic: Possible Add-on to BulletForge for Q&A?  (Read 3949 times)

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
Possible Add-on to BulletForge for Q&A?
« on: February 14, 2012, 01:36:50 AM »
Someone pointed me to this open source application called Shapado that handles organization of questions and answers. Basically, it's a clone of StackOverflow. Questions can be tagged and voted on (up for a good question that others are interested in, down for stupid irrelevant questions). Answers can be voted on as well. Just like StackOverflow, the more active you are on asking and answering questions, the more reputation points you gain which let you gain more moderation power.

In my opinion, this would sort of system would make Q&A much easier to manage than our current system of just making a thread for questions. Since it also has a search feature, duplicate questions are less likely to appear and knowledgeable users would be automatically rewarded. Take a look around the Shapado site, which also serves as a demo for its features if you wanna know more. Would anyone be interested in a Danmakufu version of this?
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli
<Azure> Keine: Danmakufu helper by day, violent loli by night.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
Re: Possible Add-on to BulletForge for Q&A?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:34:03 AM »
This sounds like a great idea! It would save so much time searching through old Q&A threads here. Definitely worth a trial run at least.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 07:56:43 AM »
What are the limitations? Can pictures be posted? Codes? Links? I didn't quite understood the 'moderation powers'  part. From an moderator PoV, it is kind of important to 'guard' everything.

To be honest, it isn't dramatic if someone posts the same question twice unless it is clearly explained in the tutorials.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 10:45:31 AM »
That could be really useful imo, not only absorbing the Q&A but also the misc code snippets topic which is as of now almost completely useless since you can't browse it.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:39:06 PM »
What are the limitations? Can pictures be posted? Codes? Links? I didn't quite understood the 'moderation powers'  part. From an moderator PoV, it is kind of important to 'guard' everything.

To be honest, it isn't dramatic if someone posts the same question twice unless it is clearly explained in the tutorials.

I don't know about pictures, but code and links would definitely be possible. However, remember this is an open source project that I can modify to my own discretion so any missing features that people feel are needed, I can try to add in. I'm definitely more experienced as a web developer than when I first made BulletForge (honestly, that was a practice thing, but I'm confident now) so there should be less problems.

About the moderation powers thing. How it works is that every new users starts with the ability to ask questions, give answers, and vote up. As their contributions are voted up by other people, they get reputation points. As you gain more reputation points, you gain the ability to do things like leave comments on answers, vote questions/answers down, flag things as spam, and close/reopen your own questions. As you get massive amounts of reputation, you'll even get the ability to edit tags for questions, edit other people's posts, vote to close/reopen other people's questions and delete closed questions. Towards the very end, if you're really into it, you'll even automatically be granted some moderation powers.

If you're worried about people messing things up, keep in mind that they have to be helpful for a pretty long period of time before they're allowed to do any real damage. The most damage new users can do is spam stupid questions or give bad answers, which can be cleaned up by more senior members of the website. It's not worth the effort for most trolls to spend that much effort before ruining a site. Worst case scenario, a real moderator or admin can remove a user and revert his harmful changes and he'd be back at square one with no reputation again.
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 03:48:55 PM »
The only thing that worries me is how we're going to channel traffic towards that place for Q&A, or is it going to act as a knowledge base? I think we'll have to test stuff first and experiment with it.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »
http://danmakufu.shapado.com/

Quick demo site that their site let me set up for free. Mess around a bit and see if you like it. I intend to have existing bulletforge users able to login without signing up again when I integrate it with BulletForge for real.

Edit: If you had trouble registering or whatever before, try again. I had something set stupidly.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 06:30:08 PM by Blargel »

Drake

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 12:30:24 AM »
Hm. It's awfully scrunched; honestly the design isn't very appealing, definitely not as appealing as SO. I'll run around with it.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 01:26:16 AM »
Hm. It's awfully scrunched; honestly the design isn't very appealing, definitely not as appealing as SO. I'll run around with it.
However, remember this is an open source project that I can modify to my own discretion

Give new design, I implement.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 11:24:12 AM »
Design needs to be worked on for sure. As a person who is too much being involved in information management and such, I have to be picky as well and say the current state is like spaghetti. IMO needs simplicity and and crystal clear overview/search.

Off topic: Funny how people nowadays think something has to look fancy to transmit the message, which isn't always the case.