Author Topic: Character Fan Drawings...  (Read 2690 times)

Boomer

• Lifeless Energy
  • Attributes and weaknesses are the same.
Character Fan Drawings...
« on: August 04, 2015, 02:22:17 PM »
These are drawings that I have done since becoming a fanboy on my birthday.  I was just starting out drawing Touhou characters at the time so these are quite plain.  I hope that you will like them nonetheless as well as provide some critical feedback on how I can improve in future works of mine.  Links to the images are provided due to them being rather large.  I also assure you that there is no mature content in these images...

Drawings (in order of when I drew them):
Patchouli Knowledge: http://fav.me/d8t1pw6
Reisen Udongein Inaba: http://fav.me/d8swl7h
Koishi Komeiji: http://fav.me/d8ti7sh
Youmu Konpaku: http://fav.me/d8vndmk
Yukari Yakumo: http://fav.me/d8wstcv
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:47:49 PM by Boomer »
I just know what I know...

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Re: Character Fan Drawings...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 02:05:30 AM »
Hey welcome! Somehow I missed this thread.
So how long ago was this fateful birthday of yours?

Critical advice? Maybe you have and maybe you haven't heard someone say this, but what plagues your drawing right now is something that haunts pretty much every anime style artist--before/unless they develop a style that works anyway-- and that is bad anatomy. It's a bit more popular to say bad proportions, since anime style has its own proportions that work within its own idiom, and certainly, if the anime style is all you're going for, then experimenting around until you hit those proportions is quite alright. Or you could go study up some rudimentary anatomy and save a lot of trouble in the long run.
The first question I should ask is, can you see the awkwardnesses? I usually can't when it comes to technical things so I have this one nautical guy help sometimes with my stuff, but it's a great thing to just be able to see awkwardness on your own so you can see and fix, see and fix. And if you can't then you do what you're doing, asking.
I'll say that the 'proportions' are bad. Just as a general anime style rule that I've observed, the body is usually around 2.5 heads, from the neck/shoulders to the crotch. Sometimes 2 heads, but usually no less unless it's chibi style or something approaching it. Currently you have about 1.5 heads for your torso for your first three. Yukari seems fine, Youmu looks about 1.8 ish.
Now it does irk me a little to be giving such vague and useless advice based on some arbitrary observation that's highly situational. Better advice would be to say like, the elbows end near or below where the rib cage ends, something nice and definite like that. Anatomical stuff. Probably 'boring and strict', but it's fun when you start to get it. It can help anyone immensely. There can be endless discussions and critiques based on minor nuances in such stylistic art like anime, but a good solid foundation is nice since it saves having to be unsure about why something looks off and instead be more about the nuances and artistic choices. And somehow I derailed on a rant, again, which ended up being an essay, again, but I hope you found somethings useful in there. I definitely recommend anatomy, but if that's not your pick of bones, then just keep drawing and practicing and the kind folk here can give some comments. Enjoy.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Boomer

• Lifeless Energy
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »
Goodness me, I thank you so much for your feedback.  You have no idea how much I have yearned for this that I can actually call "constructive criticism".  Many of the other communities that I have joined have not reached even a fraction of how helpful this was, I usually have to try to force it out of them.  I do apologize that I did initially have low expectations when seeing a reply to my post.  Your comment was truly a breath of fresh air.

That aside, if you must know, my birthday is on May 1st.  As for looking at my own work, I personally do not seem to be able to sense the awkwardness myself (at least, not until after it's too late).  In the case of my particular art style, I will look more into the "2.5 heads" rule and see where that gets me.  Anatomy is something that I looked into for quite some time, but I always seem to mess it up somehow.  When I started drawing Touhou characters, it was during a time that I was just starting to get half-decent at drawing women.  I thus have used these plain drawings as a practice of sorts.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 06:46:21 PM »
'Go study anatomy' is rather a useless thing to be told if you don't already have been doing so and know how to go about doing it (or if you have a method of going about studying that works for you) or if you are just starting and have no idea how to do so. There's so so much, it's overwhelming. If you ever do develop a curiosity for it, then know that anatomy isn't this strict guide of proportions. Anatomy isn't 'the human body is #___ heads tall', 'the pelvis is at the center', and it certainly isn't drawing the contours over and over again. In going for actual and/or idealized figures, sure, those head unit proportions are important to reach. But in starting to learn, your goal is to find out why a certain line is drawn in a certain place or why this curve is drawn like that. Head unit proportions doesn't teach you that, and neither does contour. So I recommend if you want to study sometime in the future, that you first learn the skeleton. It is literally what the entire body is framed around. Then after you learn how the skeleton looks like--and this can just be a general overview of it, just this much will already help you in your drawings--take small portions of the body at a time. By small portions, I mean like head, upper arms, upper body, thighs, pelvis, shoulders, neck, head, take just one of those sections and see how the muscles attach underneath (and maybe learn those bones in slightly more detail if it either interests you or if it's needed to attach the muscles). It doesn't help me to simply look at anatomical diagrams, so I usually google multiple results of 'how to draw ________' and 'anatomy for artists' and cross-check, because those boil down the muscles into the ones that are relevant as far as drawing is concerned. Muscles connect the bones together, they literally stitch the body together, into one whole being. Usually there's only around 5 or so big muscle groups per section but once you start drawing those, the contours and figure just draws itself. The skeleton will teach you proportions and the muscles will teach you the shape of the body, in any angle.
Well this place is fairly lethargic, but mostly because not many people are posting stuff. When they do, then it seems people check often enough that they post replies. So I hope you stick around, AAA can always use more (active /notme) company.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Boomer

• Lifeless Energy
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 08:10:42 PM »
I see... I had a feeling that it would require more than what I initially thought to progress.  In any case, you have supplied me with a lot of help and it is much obliged.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 03:23:25 AM »
You make nice, solid lines, and your shading is pretty consistent. Good job on that!

I'm not gonna go as in-depth as Mea, who's a lot better of a critic than me, but I'm just gonna note two things:

Your noses tend to be up a little high, leaving too much space between the nose and the mouth.
If I'm seeing Yukari's hand right, she's trying to squeeze her fingers into the little spaces between the fan's slats. That's pretty awkward. Google Images "holding a fan."

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 12:54:12 PM »
Anatomy is fun! Learn to draw the body correctly, and you will be faster, have more fun and naturally everything will look better. It usually takes a few years of hard training though...
Mea has some good tips, and here are some resources to get you started. (might and will will contain photos and drawings of naked people, that's what you're going to learn, after all)
http://www.fineart.sk Lots of photos and references, poses of actions, both clothed and naked.
http://www.fineart.sk/photo-references/andrew-loomis-anatomy-books/figure-drawing-all-its-worth-andrew-loomis Essential reading.
http://www.posemaniacs.com A bit limited in use, but can be good sometimes, and you can rotate the models and see the body and muscles from all angles.

Most of your figures have more or less acceptable anatomy, except for Patchouli. I'm not sure what happened there, but I'm sure you can see the errors yourself.
The others are alright for starting out, reminds me of my own drawings 10+ years ago. Just needs some proportioning, refinement and routine. Keep at it!