Author Topic: Your favourite official Touhou manga series  (Read 6051 times)

CyberAngel

• Retired
Your favourite official Touhou manga series
« on: July 18, 2014, 12:11:57 PM »
Basically, what it says. Which of the official Touhou manga series do you like the most - Silent Sinner in Blue, Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth, Eastern and Little Nature Deity/Strange and Bright Nature Deity/Oriental Sacred Place, Wild and Horned Hermit or Forbidden Scrollery?

Myself, I find I started really liking FS lately. I really like the drawing style and the story is engaging, plus Akyuu is shown a lot, she really needs some attention. I actually didn't like it at first since Kosuzu looked like she's too likely to make problems for no good reason, but she's grown responsible by now and does whatever it takes when there's a danger, so I've grown to like her.

Honorable mention goes to Three Fairies mangas. I really liked the slice-of-life format. However, the artist's style, while working fine for fairies themselves, looks a bit jarring with other characters (especially Aya, whom I've always seen as extremely lean). Plus there are things like Cirno's eyebrows and artist's fondness for a certain exact standing pose. But these things are quite minor, the series is pretty enjoyable.

(A poll would be nice here, and I think I could add one when I had Birthday powers, but since I no longer do... welp :V)

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
Re: Your favourite official Touhou manga series
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 05:05:08 PM »
Forbidden Scrollery. Because I love how stuff happens because of Kosuzu's scrolls then it makes you remember things from the other chapters that causes a chain reaction prior to the games themselves and other parts of the manga itself and plus it makes the reader go "OH SNAP!" or  "I SO CALLED IT!"
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »
I haven't read Forbidden Scrollery and I'm not caught up with Wild and Horned Hermit.  But my favorite is Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth.  It was really, really funny.  A couple of my favorite jokes were the shotgun umbrella and the time Tewi used Reisen's straightmanness to get her out of hiding. 
Spoiler:
Only for her to immediately go back into hiding out of shame.

StainGlass

• Not the only one
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »
I've enjoyed Wild and Horned Hermit and Forbidden Scrollery the most.
I still need to finish the three Fariries manga, I just don't like them as characters very much so I don't find the stories as engaging.

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 12:21:19 AM »
I've not read all of them but I did really enjoy silent sinner in blue. It was a proper storyline with an event that was running through it. I prefered the storyline type over the slice of life styles of all the other mangas. Having more detail into one event is more interesting to me. That and we got to see the moon and Yukari being Yukari.

I haven't finished the 3 fairys mangas yet. I'm reading them with my little brother as a bedtimenstory.
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 01:28:56 AM »
I once had to take a five-hour bus ride to the middle of nowhere. I was told there would be wifi on the bus. There was no wifi, and my battery resources were scarce. But I did have SSiB, so I started reading it. It remains my favorite official work to this day. It is such a strange, loopy story with parts that sometimes make no sense at all. And yet I could not stop reading it. I was pretty impressed with the fact that the story is very clearly being made up chapter by chapter, taking off on tangents here and there before coming to a peaceful, celebratory resolution. This was, to my mind, "Gensokyo: The Manga". Characters do what they want, when they want, logic means nothing, and it'll all work out in the end. Loved. It.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 01:42:25 AM »
There's a tie between Inaba and Oriental Sacred Place, but maybe, I like more Inaba due to how bad does Eirin treats Reisen... PUNISHMENT TIME!
Mwahahahahha!

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »
 Am I the only one who likes all of them?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 03:23:26 PM »
Am I the only one who likes all of them?
Probably not at all.  The thread title is asking for your "favourite" only, which doesn't imply you dislike the others.

If you like them all to the same degree that's a different story. And I'd have a hard time believing it myself. :colbert:

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 03:52:04 PM »
They're all perfect, ergo they're all equally good.

Seriously though, my favorite is probably Forbidden Scrollery. I think the atmosphere of Kosuzu being both terrified of and intrigued by youkai captures the human perspective of Gensokyo better than anything else in the series, and therefore adds more.

Wild and Horned Hermit would probably be better if it had a plot, or at least didn't tease us so much. Silent Sinner in Blue fails to stand on its own because it relies too much on Cage in Lunatic Runagate for the full story, causing many people who read it to misunderstand it. Inaba is funny but I can't tell what's supposed to be canon or not which personally bugs me. Never really appreciated Sangetsuei for some reason, even though it's basically the same as Wild and Horned Hermit. I think I'm probably biased though.

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 06:05:04 AM »
Probably not at all.  The thread title is asking for your "favourite" only, which doesn't imply you dislike the others.

If you like them all to the same degree that's a different story. And I'd have a hard time believing it myself. :colbert:

I like them all just about equally, which means I can't settle on a constant favourite. Probably FS, though.

Phoenix-P

• Reisen...it's punishment time...
  • One Optical Camouflage please
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »
maybe oriental sacred place,  not that slice of life stories are my faves but still i liked the fairies as the main characters. at first i thought they were going to be extremely stupid and but they were actually very fun likeable characters. even though FS has better situations and art style, the fairies've done it...still not so sure why  :V
The Power of Baka!

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 08:18:33 PM »
It's really hard to quantify appreciation. I'm in that boat of finding having no favorite (and not just in touhou mangas) but I enjoyed them all in different ways.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 08:22:11 PM »
It's really hard to quantify appreciation. I'm in that boat of finding having no favorite (and not just in touhou mangas) but I enjoyed them all in different ways.

The way I quantify it is as "if new chapters of both came out at the same time, which would I choose to read first?"

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »
I've read maybe two of these, so my opinion about the favourite one would be somewhat incomplete.
But anyway, I enjoyed reading Silent Sinner in Blue (hope I didn't mess up the title). I mean, it had a decent storyline, eye-pleasing art style and, well, maybe too little action, but...
What counts is that it's Touhou. Period.  :derp:

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 01:13:43 AM »
The way I quantify it is as "if new chapters of both came out at the same time, which would I choose to read first?"

Thats why I find it hard to quantify, if I had to choose I'd pick from the mood im in or flip a coin.

Hieda no Akyuu

• Ninth Generation Savant
  • The Archiver of Gensokyo
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 06:47:36 AM »
Forbidden Scrollery. (:

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 04:44:38 PM »
Thats why I find it hard to quantify, if I had to choose I'd pick from the mood im in or flip a coin.

Another way to "quantify" it can be how much you like rereading the series from start to finish. Or how likely you are to do so.