Author Topic: Touhou Project 11.5st: 東方地霊外伝 ~ Exit Earth (Casting call! Custom script support)  (Read 10583 times)

PJ

• jesus christ it's all over the walls
Genre
Danmaku

Scenario
Satori wants to leave the Palace of Earth Spirits and investigate the world above.

How to play
Exit Earth is similar in gameplay to Shoot the Bullet and Double Spoiler.
Press X to "read" some of the bullets in front of Satori.
Bullets that have been "read" can be used as Satori's attack. Recharge time depends on how many bullets were "read", and the power of each bullet depends on the size of the bullet.

PJ's notes
Work on this project began December 1st.
Exit Earth has an original soundtrack composed by Music469410, and recorded on my SD-90.

To-do
  • Finish Satori's portraits.
  • Record all music.
  • Minor tweaks to engine.
  • Code some neat stuff like spellcard titles.
  • Support for custom scripts.
  • Model stage backgrounds.
  • Make character sprites for Yuugi fairies a fox everybody.
  • Make spells for a fox.
  • Wait for characters to use.
Of course, comments and criticism are very welcome.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:46:21 PM by literally an espurr »

Re: 東方怪冒険 ~ Explorations of Eccentric
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »
Do I just put it in the script folder?

PJ

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:00:05 PM »
Do I just put it in the script folder?
Yes.
Make sure you're running a version of PH3 that supports the "Package" system.

EDIT:
Made a really dumb mistake. Reuploaded, and it should be working fine now.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:43:27 PM by peejsterM »

PJ

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 02:48:24 PM »
Bump.
Uploaded an actual working version, and an updated screenshot.

Re: 東方怪冒険 ~ Explorations of Eccentric (Stg 1 demo)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
The boss' life view doesn't seem to be useful. Change it to something more visible.
Expect it, it's a good start. Can you teel us about the spoilers more?

PJ

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 02:44:54 AM »
The boss' life view doesn't seem to be useful. Change it to something more visible.
Expect it, it's a good start. Can you teel us about the spoilers more?
What would you suggest? A larger font size, or just an alternative display? I was thinking I'd make it one of the items on the option screen so that people can pick what they prefer.

I'd like some feedback on the game itself before I work on such trivial things. I think the difficulty is a bit off in particular areas. I've not received feedback on any of that from my other play testers. I'm not entirely sure if this is indicative of how I have done.

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 02:33:10 AM »
Various issues:

- Returning to menu doesn't stop the in-game music from playing
- Focus circle is broken (white squares covering the character sprite instead of a proper focus circle)
- If you give up and retry, the soul counter doesn't reset. For that matter, it takes ages for the counter to reach its value at the start of Stage 2.
- After the enemies in Stage 2 there is a pause then a game crash. Although this is to be expected from a WIP, could you at least let me save a replay before this happens?

PJ

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »
Various issues:

- Returning to menu doesn't stop the in-game music from playing
- Focus circle is broken (white squares covering the character sprite instead of a proper focus circle)
- If you give up and retry, the soul counter doesn't reset. For that matter, it takes ages for the counter to reach its value at the start of Stage 2.
- After the enemies in Stage 2 there is a pause then a game crash. Although this is to be expected from a WIP, could you at least let me save a replay before this happens?
All of those issues are fixed in my current revision, but I'm in the middle of trying to fix another issue that arose.

PJ

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 01:25:45 AM »
Updated with another release.

To do:
Boss portion of stage 2. Just a couple of spellcards left. done
Change the looping times for Eternal Full Moon.
Some more fixes for the speech-bubble functions. done
Still need to do character art (player characters, bosses, even fairies)
Work on custom shotsheet and shot functions. Finished!
Maybe more balance fixes for Mima. I made some changes that should be good.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:40:19 AM by Anthropophobia »

PJ

Re: 東方地霊外伝 ~ Exit Earth (Casting call!)
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 12:32:21 AM »
Bump. I've decided to put away Explorations of Eccentric, because making the stage-portions of the game sucks. And, truth be told, there's quite a few bugs that playtesters have found, which I do not know how to resolve.

I would like characters to use for this new project, though. PM me with everything you can tell me about your character. Physical appearance, anything Satori would know by reading their hearts, and their powers. Bonus points if this "power" can actually be used in some way for spellcards. If you have to describe your character by comparing them to somebody else, you shouldn't bother.

PJ

Re: 東方地霊外伝 ~ Exit Earth (Casting call!)
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »
Hello, people.

It's been a long while.

I've published the progress I've made with Exit Earth. I was hoping I could delay it until my birthday, but there was really no reason to make you all wait.

In this demo, there are 8 scenes available. I've also done away with all of ZUN's graphics, and replaced them with my own. Even the shotsheet is my own work.

Re: 東方地霊外伝 ~ Exit Earth (Casting call! Demo release!)
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 03:26:26 AM »
The game is really interesting but I don't think there is a boss's hitbox in scene 3. I've been trying that scene for a long time.

Besides that, I really love the concept of this game and hope to see more from you.
Currently a normal player

Flan27

• I like bullets.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 09:08:43 AM »
Wow, this concept could go a long way.  I hope you keep working on it!  Just like Lavalake, I can't beat scene three.  I think you have to beat the scenes sequentially, because I couldn't access anything after that.

It's really cool that you have original graphics and music.  Overall it looks and sounds good.  Just so you know, the background has white in the very back of it for me, instead of black as in your screenshot.  There's a lot of contrast between it and the rest of the background, so it's pretty distracting.

As for the game design, I've got to say I'm not fond of the danmaku for the first scene.  I think it could be a lot friendlier.  Streaming and unreadable bullets in the first spell are just kind of "what?" when you just start playing.  You should give the player something where he doesn't have to move or think much, so he can focus on learning the mechanics.  This is just my opinion, though.

And one more thing, please make "try again" the default option after you get hit.  It's no fun to go to the replay screen accidentally.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

PJ

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »
The game is really interesting but I don't think there is a boss's hitbox in scene 3. I've been trying that scene for a long time.

Besides that, I really love the concept of this game and hope to see more from you.

Wow, this concept could go a long way.  I hope you keep working on it!  Just like Lavalake, I can't beat scene three.  I think you have to beat the scenes sequentially, because I couldn't access anything after that.
I fixed that in my newest revision. I thought I included my save-data in the archive I uploaded, though.
For now, though, you can just access the scripts from Danmakufu's menu by just going to "Single".

It's really cool that you have original graphics and music.  Overall it looks and sounds good.  Just so you know, the background has white in the very back of it for me, instead of black as in your screenshot.  There's a lot of contrast between it and the rest of the background, so it's pretty distracting.
Heh? I don't know what could cause that issue, but I'll definitely look into it.

As for the game design, I've got to say I'm not fond of the danmaku for the first scene.  I think it could be a lot friendlier.  Streaming and unreadable bullets in the first spell are just kind of "what?" when you just start playing.  You should give the player something where he doesn't have to move or think much, so he can focus on learning the mechanics.  This is just my opinion, though.
Yeah, thought that was a bit too heavy, but I didn't know how light to make it. I'll toy with it for the next few releases.

And one more thing, please make "try again" the default option after you get hit.  It's no fun to go to the replay screen accidentally.
Will do.

PJ

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 04:00:13 AM »
Updated.

Third scene was fixed. Minor tweaks were made to soundtrack, new "intro" was added, and "Options" and "Music Room" as well.

PJ

Update.
  • Some revisions to the lesser devil's spells and attacks.
  • The flavor text for substandard scores on all attacks has been changed.
  • Soundtrack has been entirely re-recorded.
  • Swapped out more of ZUN's graphics with those created by myself or those on Niconi Commons.
  • English Config.exe was updated to match changes made in the newest revisions of Danmakufu.

Is this for pre15 and above? I'm using pre14 and I can't seem to be able to see some bullets on scene 1-2.

PJ

Is this for pre15 and above? I'm using pre14 and I can't seem to be able to see some bullets on scene 1-2.
I looked into that, and it should be fixed already. :\
Also, another update. It's mostly minor stuff.

• Added support and BGM for a super-duper-not-at-all-obvious-secret-character for Exit Earth.
  • Modified the music room a bit.
  • Converted music files to ogg, at request of a wine user.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:22:07 AM by Anthropophobia »

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Erm, how do you use the .dat file? Do you put it somewhere?
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

PJ

Erm, how do you use the .dat file? Do you put it somewhere?

Somebody asked that question already, but you just drop it in the script folder and choose "package" on the title screen.

Spectral Nexus

• Idealistic Aspirer and Unacheiver
  • Hella trippy.
I don't know if this is meant to happen, but in the second scene, The boss has no sprite and seems to fire loads of invisible bullets. It becomes really annoying when your doing good, then randomly get hit from some unknown object that isn't even visible. I hope this can be fixed, as the fact I can't get past Scene 2 is rather frustrating lol.

I've included a picture to show you what I mean.
COMPOSING FOR: Magical Moon Story / Mystic Memory Drive (Full Game)
- Old Chateau Story (Stage 3 and Title Themes)
- Ephemeral Unnatural Balance (Stage 2 & Stage 5 Themes)
- Illusionary Visual Twilight (Full Game)
- Hopefully a few of my own future fangames! :-D

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Somebody asked that question already, but you just drop it in the script folder and choose "package" on the title screen.

Oh, ok, thanks!
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

PJ

I don't know if this is meant to happen, but in the second scene, The boss has no sprite and seems to fire loads of invisible bullets. It becomes really annoying when your doing good, then randomly get hit from some unknown object that isn't even visible. I hope this can be fixed, as the fact I can't get past Scene 2 is rather frustrating lol.

I've included a picture to show you what I mean.
... oh. I figured out what's going on.  :colonveeplusalpha:
There was some weird stuff going on with the directories in the packaged versions. I believe I've fixed it entirely.
As always, thanks to the people who put up with my bullshit. :V

See, if somebody had posted a screenshot earlier, I would have known about this sooner!

Also, this next bit is very important for those of you who are also scripters.
I've added support for custom scripts within this release. I'll be putting up a documentation for Exit Earth on my site in some time.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:41:16 AM by Anthropophobia »

Spectral Nexus

• Idealistic Aspirer and Unacheiver
  • Hella trippy.
Thanks for getting it fixed! Personally, I think that you're making very good progress with the game, and It's pretty fun to play (though that second scene is SO HARD it's frustrating!)
Really, keep up the good work!
COMPOSING FOR: Magical Moon Story / Mystic Memory Drive (Full Game)
- Old Chateau Story (Stage 3 and Title Themes)
- Ephemeral Unnatural Balance (Stage 2 & Stage 5 Themes)
- Illusionary Visual Twilight (Full Game)
- Hopefully a few of my own future fangames! :-D