Author Topic: [Music] EP Toys With Sonar In Addition....  (Read 3514 times)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
[Music] EP Toys With Sonar In Addition....
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:50:34 AM »
So, this will be my art forum thread, I guess.

MUSIC:
Cinderella Cage [Logic] ver. 1 - this post.
Cinderella Cage [Logic] ver. 2
A Soul As Bright As A Red Cherry [Logic]
Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17 [TTS-1 - Sonar]

ILLUSTRATION:
none scanned yet :P

What started as an attempt to get the ZUNpet sound with Logic's software instruments ended up turning into a Cinderella Cage remake based of the IN MIDI version a few hours later. Stayed up a LOT longer than I should have doing this. *tired*

YouTube

Tindeck

A few notes:
 - The trumpets may sound more like an ensemble, since I used a trumpet section sample as the base. Note that Logic does not come with solo brass or string instruments, and I was not going for the use of extras outside Logic (including Soundfonts). FYI adjusting vibrato in EXS24 (sampler I used) was a royal bitch.
 - The MIDI version lacks the beginning synth voice and the guitar, but I added them in manually. They may not be 100% accurate note-wise, but I tried to fit them into the song well. Also, I used a boy choir instrument instead of a synth voice, probably due to it being a preset (meaning less work for that, more on the ZUNpets).
 - Piano + Strings at beginning are stronger than I'd like but it'd be too tinny otherwise.
 - That electric piano...I think I should patch it ^^'
 - The drums were pitch-adjusted from the Indie Kit in a way to try and fake the LM-4/LM-7 sound. It doesn't sound much like the WAV version drums, though.
 - As there was no shamisen instrument in Logic, I replaced it with a koto. Doesn't quite sound the same, especially during one of the later runs. I also noticed later that I forgot about the harpsichord, which was empty in the MIDI version but ZUN uses them with shamisens to complement each other's missing frequencies.
 - The song may sound like it has heavy compression, but I was playing heavily with the Compressor effect AU here. Good practice!
 - 320kbps MP3 version is linked, but other formats (FLAC, M4A 320kbps, OGG) as well as the MIDI and original Logic file (requires Logic Studio 9 or higher; Logic Express owners may be able to read but not play it properly) are available upon request.

Feel free to comment, criticize, suggest, etc. I may also consider taking requests...in which case, I'd better get my x201 ready as a softsynth processor....
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:25:14 PM by PARU Telecom Networks, LLC »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Re: [Music] EP Discovers the ZUNpet in Logic 9. Maybe.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 07:30:35 PM »
Let's see.

*The drums sound too loud and strong. They should sound a little softer.
*The trumpet sounds too much like a horn. The attack is too strong and sound is too bright. If logic allows to do it, try to change the attack envelope, cutoff and resonance.
*The harpsichord you think you're hearing is actually virtual guitarist. "Slow Strings" is mapped in its place in the MIDI version.

BTW, Hyper Canvas used to be not 100% GM2 compatible when run on Logic due to Logic's old plug-in specifications. Is that still true ?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: [Music] EP Discovers the ZUNpet in Logic 9. Maybe.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 07:45:35 PM »
Let's see.

*The drums sound too loud and strong. They should sound a little softer.
*The trumpet sounds too much like a horn. The attack is too strong and sound is too bright. If logic allows to do it, try to change the attack envelope, cutoff and resonance.
*The harpsichord you think you're hearing is actually virtual guitarist. "Slow Strings" is mapped in its place in the MIDI version.

BTW, Hyper Canvas used to be not 100% GM2 compatible when run on Logic due to Logic's old plug-in specifications. Is that still true ?
Thanks for the feedback!

The drums shouldn't be too hard to do.
On an off-note, I've been able to convert the LM7 samples for use in EXS24, so I can use those drum patches instead :D
But I'll be staying with the Logic defaults and adjustments of such to make things more fun.

Not surprised about the trumpet. I had to work from an trumpet section patch, assuming no imports. I could import THFont in and adjust the sounds, but where's the fun in that?
I'll try to adjust the parameters as needed. Not terribly difficult.

The harpsichord line was actually empty when I imported the MIDI IIRC.
What I may do in the meantime is copy the shamisen (now koto) track and put a harpsichord sound on the duplicate. Hopefully that will adjust for the missing frequencies.
I first heard about the harpsichord-shamisen frequency complementing ZUN uses in Spaztique's TTS-1 remakes.

Hyper Canvas does not work under OS X, since Roland is too lazy to continue updating the Mac version. And even then Logic won't accept it, since it can't take VSTs without a wrapper or hardware interface. Logic, being an Apple product, supports the OS X-centric Audio Unit (AU) format instead, and Apple and Steinberg (VST's proponent) aren't on the best of terms.

EDIT: OK making version 2 ATM.
A few changes:

- Trumpets have much shorter release and lower reverb to make them less like a horn ensemble and to reduce muddiness. Cutoff, resonance, attack, delay, and Exciter effect harmonics were also adjusted slightly. LFO1 effects (namely vibrato) rates changed a bit.
 - Initial/melody pianos no longer have strings (replaced with Yamaha Grand samples), but have added reverb and the Exciter effect as well.
 - Harpsichord added back in by duplicating koto track - complements it well, and the shamisen solo can kinda be heard now. Still needs more punch though.
 - Boy choir replaced with synth voice pad. Fits better. Added stereo spread effect since tremolo alone seemed a bit too distracting.
 - Increased string volume.
 - Reduced drum volume.
 - Reduced bass chorus effect, release, delay; boosted cutoff.
 - Replaced the "Slow Strings" assigned track with a steel guitar + arpeggiator (love YT tutorials) - may not be accurate at all, but it's worth playing with.

I'll upload this on Tindeck only, since I'm too lazy to make another YT version (which means more time on Final Cut Express...which sucks).

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:06:30 PM by HARU Channel Syndications »
Bad command or file name

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: [Music] EP Plays Even More With ZUN MIDIs....
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 04:35:19 AM »
All right, it's been too long!

First, Cinderella Cage ver. 2. FINALLY figured out how Space Designer works in terms of duration!
I used the Logic Arpeggiator for this, so the guitars aren't as accurate. Configuring it was a bitch though (as with most technical stuff under the Apple ecosystem).

#2: This was a bit late.
Also, since Spaztique challenged me to try beating his remake of "A Soul As Bright As a Red Cherry" I opted to do just that today (and neither of us can seem to get that beginning electric piano).

Most of the instruments, except the electric piano (which uses EVP88 electric pianos), use the EXS24 sampler. All non-drum instruments are also tuned 35% lower.

Next up: I get Logic connected to my x201 and its trove of softsynths and VSTis via rtpMIDI and VSTHost. So far the S-YXG50 and WinGroove connect flawlessly.
Bad command or file name

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: [Music] EP Toys With Sonar In Addition....
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:08:24 PM »
Rather, I did this thanks to OS crash. :( :( :(

On the bright side I get an SD-20.

EDIT: Got it! Love it so far...works well under 64-bit Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Logic, and loving the patches (YES it has Romantic Tp!). Only catch is that I have to use the SD-20 Editor application to adjust parameters...and it's PowerPC application. Seeing as how Lion will get rid of the Rosetta interface (which allows for PowerPC apps to run on Intel Macs)...:ohdear:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:29:38 AM by PARU Telecom Networks, LLC »
Bad command or file name