Author Topic: BorderCross - A multiplayer card game  (Read 10561 times)

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
BorderCross - A multiplayer card game
« on: March 04, 2011, 03:47:19 AM »

What is BorderCross?
BorderCross is a Touhou-based card game intended for 4-9 players. There are 205 cards: 65 characters, 34 pieces of equipment, 44 spell cards, 52 utility cards, 1 status card, and 9 role cards.

Story:
The Hakurei Border links the human world with the world of Gensokyo. Also known as the ?Border?, ?The Great Boundary?, or ?Hakurei Barrier?, the border exists to prevent precarious ?Youkai? from snatching humans for the purposes of consumption. The only point at which the border may be legitimately crossed is through the Hakurei Shrine. The border is not impenetrable, though, and must be supervised by ever-vigilant sentinels, for there are those who venture to snatch up a stray human wandering close to the border; or worse yet, those who wish to destroy the border and incite mass chaos between Gensokyo and the human world as was once the case long ago?

Game Overview:
The game is played with anywhere from 4 to 9 players, each with their own group-specific objective they must carry out to achieve victory. Players take turns equipping items, charging, and casting spell cards to defeat other players to conquer their opponents and fulfill their objectives.

History:
The game?s concept arose on the 4th of January 2011, when a friend of mine and I were conversing about the state of TCG games in general. We originally had plans to create a Touhou TCG of our own, but due to time constraints, resources, and other various aspects of involvement, we could not see our idea to completion. Rather than give up, I turned the concept toward a different direction ? a multiplayer game without the cost commonly associated with playing and maintaining current TCG games.
After many dead ends on coming up with a manageable system for the cards, I settled on borrowing concepts from a fabulous card game my close friends and I enjoyed, which was originally published by Italian publisher daVinci Editrice in 2002, called ?Bang!?. Much of the flow and approach of the game comes from ?Bang!,? but with several system tweaks of my own.
The game?s production somewhat started around January 8th. By the 11th, all of the cards had been entered into Excel for brainstorming and balancing. By the 13th, all cards had text and powers were assigned to characters. Graphical design and artwork searches took somewhere around a week, putting the finishing touches on actual designs around the 18th. After that, cards were fully compiled and data entry began in Photoshop before the 20th. Creation processes were slow due to graduate work beginning to pile up in the beginning of the semester, but finalized card sheets were being assembled and ready for printing by the 26th. Proofreading and editing caused delays, meaning a new set of print sheets being designed before the 30th of January.
The first batch of cards was printed on February 3rd and 4th. Half were cut out individually, by hand, before February 8th. The cards were fully cut out and sleeved on the 12th, ready to play. In its entirety, the project was finished (aside from proofreading, error fixes, and actual printing/play-testing) in approximately four weeks. Since then, I have made various revisions, edits, and grammatical fixes, which will most likely always be subject to tweaks or further edits.
During the course of the project, various individuals were shown bits and pieces to gather unbiased opinions about the game. The purpose of this was to get feedback on individual portions of the design or style without anyone knowing what it was for. Aesthetically and technically, this creates the ?purest? opinions without quickly making judgments simply because it?s X, or Y, or looks like Z. No one person had ever seen the completed product as a whole until February 25th, when the game was played for the first time.

Sample Cards:
(The corners are white due to saving small versions as jpgs. Click for full size PNG format.

Characters

Equipment

Spell Cards

Utility Cards:

Sample Print Sheet (6mb):
http://imasock.pestermom.com/BorderCross/Spells%20Sheet%204.png

Known Issues:
The original card size was placed incorrectly into Photoshop, and instead of 2.5 by 3.5 inch dimensions, I incorrectly set it to 2.5 by 3.375 inches. I also added a 10 pixel buffer to all sides and this caused the cards to print too wide, squeezing the card in on itself when placed in protective sleeves. As a result, the cards had to be sized to 310 dpi rather than 300 dpi to ensure they were not too wide for sleeves. This created a further discrepancy in regard to card height, which now rests somewhere around 1/7th of an inch short of actual card games. If you sleeve these cards, they will be shorter by a bit.
The cards were created in standard RGB 8bit color modes; however, most printers do not print RGB proficiently. Instead, the cards should have been designed from the ground up in CMYK color modes to allow for further color accuracy. If you have Photoshop available for use, printing these cards using the ?Photoshop manages colors? mode instead of ?Printer manages colors?, you will likely see a greater picture and color fidelity. Converting the images to CMYK prior to printing actually causes a greater color loss and the cards appear quite bland, especially on the background colors of the bullet pattern on all the cards, so it is advised to use Photoshop?s management of color options, if possible.
I am only one individual; there are bound to be errors with either grammar or syntax. I have done my best to ensure that most cards retain consistency in terms of wording and description, but there may be some that seem different from others. If this is the case, please e-mail me about it so I can look into it and possibly change the cards wording to reflect a more accurate approach to all the cards. I consider myself to be quite proficient in catching errors, but I?m a mathematician, not a linguist, so I anticipate there will be errors.

BEFORE DOWNLOADING
The game is not 100% balanced. This is simply due to a lack of playing the game. My friends and I do not have the easiest schedules to work around, especially to get 7-9 of us together to play the same game. If a particular card, ability, character, etc. seems too overpowered, there?s a definite possibility that it is. Do keep in mind that some cards are meant to be strong, and others are meant to be weaker. As mentioned above, I did not intend for cards to be overtly powerful in the sense that they break the game; I doubt I could have come up with an outcome for every situation even if I wanted. Please contact me or send me an e-mail if there is an issue with a card, or with a certain combination of cards. We are continually playing the game to make further improvements and changes where necessary.
I hope that people will play the game and give feedback, because there will be no way to check every outcome on my own or with my friends. The more people that play it, the better for the game's final result. Download the manual first to see if you're even interested in the game before you actually take the time to download a package.

Download the Manual (56 pages):
BorderCross v1.1 PDF Manual (2mb)
BorderCross v1.1 Docx Manual (6.1mb)
BorderCross v1.1 Doc Manual (6.3mb)

Download the Game:

Essential Version (162mb)
Contains Print Sheets and Manual:

http://imasock.pestermom.com/BorderCross/BorderCross%20v1.1%20Essentials.rar

Single Card Version (344mb)
Contains Print Sheets, Manual, and Single Card images:

http://imasock.pestermom.com/BorderCross/BorderCross%20v1.1%20+%20Single%20Cards.rar

Complete Version (1.24gb)
Contains Print Sheets, Manual, Single Cards, and all image sources + spell card videos:

http://imasock.pestermom.com/BorderCross/BorderCross%20v1.1%20Complete.rar

Enjoy,
-Imasock
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:23:20 AM by Imasock »

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
Re: BorderCross - A multiplayer card game
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 05:18:24 AM »
Aren't those images a bit too big?  :wat:

Images show up on your screen at 72 DPI.

These are set to print at 310 DPI, meaning they shrink down over 4x their size when printed on actual paper, bringing them to around 3.25 x 2.5 inches - standard TCG size cards, meant to be sleeved. It says 310 DPI in the post.

Cystral Dragon

• [Prince of Nothing]
  • Hey you noticed me!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 05:20:09 AM »
Do you perhaps have a shorter version of the manual with only the rules and general-ness? No changes or history.
Well I should've made it Prince of Void.

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 05:24:43 AM »
Do you perhaps have a shorter version of the manual with only the rules and general-ness? No changes or history.

When you go to print the document, just tell word or acrobat to print only pages 1 to 14.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:25:44 AM »
The game is up! Awesome!

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 05:33:17 AM »
cool name i wonder who came up with it :V

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:51:16 AM »
That is a good question, oh wait...

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 07:01:41 PM »
Whenever Kogasa suffers damage from a spell card, she deals 1 damage back to her opponent. This damage stacks with any damage dealt if Kogasa dodges the spell with Rebound or Supernatural Border.

But... if she dodges the spell, then she's not taking any damage from it, and the ability doesn't activate, right?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 10:36:05 PM »
Looks pretty awesome.

Is it portable to MagicWorkStation?

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 01:42:16 AM »
But... if she dodges the spell, then she's not taking any damage from it, and the ability doesn't activate, right?
That should have been fixed in v1.1.  It was previously set that way, and on my end the document was fixed, but it wasn't in the documents that were packaged.

Her ability should read "Whenever Kogasa is the target of a spell...".
Thanks for the catch, you'll be credited and it will be corrected when the documents for v1.2 are published.

Looks pretty awesome.

Is it portable to MagicWorkStation?
I don't know what MagicWorkStation really does, but I don't see why it couldn't be compatible in some form. Don't know how it would be done though.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:50:03 AM by Imasock »

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 02:25:03 AM »
Right. The clarification section made it clear how it's intended to act, but my inner rules lawyer just cringed when I read it. I would imagine the spells that do damage to everybody (e.g. Banquet of 12 General Gods) trigger this ability too, even though they don't really target anybody? Might wanna add a clarification about that, too.

And while we're on the subject of errors, Kanako Yasaka is listed in the PDF as Kanako Asoka in several spots.

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 02:31:21 AM »
Right. The clarification section made it clear how it's intended to act, but my inner rules lawyer just cringed when I read it. I would imagine the spells that do damage to everybody (e.g. Banquet of 12 General Gods) trigger this ability too, even though they don't really target anybody? Might wanna add a clarification about that, too.

And while we're on the subject of errors, Kanako Yasaka is listed in the PDF as Kanako Asoka in several spots.
Anything that deals damage has to target something first, thus Kogasa's ability would trigger no matter what because she's a target at that point. Recollection Pandemonium and Banquet damage all players, but the damage is dealt in a clockwise pattern targeting each player individually. This is because some characters' abilities may trigger during the attacks that cause some other thing to occur.

For example, say you used Recollection and damaged all players. It would start with the player to your left, targeting each player as it went around. Each player has a chance to respond, in order, by dodging or activating abilities, etc. Say one player was using Suwako, with 2 life points and 4 regeneration tokens. Suwako's ability says whenever another player gains a life, she gains 2 regen tokens. So, someone dodges your Recollection using a Supernatural Border, they counterattack and damage you, thus gaining enough regeneration tokens to gain a life. Because of this, Suwako gains 2 regeneration tokens, regains a life point because she only needed 5 and already had 4, meaning she gains a life to be at 3. Suwako is now the target of Recollection and cannot dodge, so she goes down to 1 life point.

In this example, if all players were the target of Recollection simultaneously, Suwako would have been knocked out before her ability would have activated.

As for Kanako, I'm unsure how that got past me. I must have hit "change" instead of "ignore all" when spell check ran. Unfortunate, at best. Thanks once again.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:37:46 AM by Imasock »

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 03:27:59 AM »
Huh. So, if somebody uses a Supernatural Border or something and kills the caster while such a spell is in the middle of resolving, then what happens?

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 04:01:50 AM »
Huh. So, if somebody uses a Supernatural Border or something and kills the caster while such a spell is in the middle of resolving, then what happens?
Then the spell ends. If the casting player is knocked out, they're not in the game to target the next player.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:03:33 AM by Imasock »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 07:10:28 AM »
Seems like a derivative work game so let's take this topic to the right forum.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 07:18:32 AM »
Wow, this looks really medium rare well done!
Just wondering, what did you use to create/edit the cards?

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 04:41:33 PM »
Wow, this looks really medium rare well done!
Just wondering, what did you use to create/edit the cards?
Thank you for the kind words, =)

Everything was done from scratch in Photoshop aside from the artwork used on the cards. I used Excel for data tracking and initial creation. Everything is listed in the post and the manual.

Click for a larger resolution.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:49:04 PM by Imasock »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 09:52:03 AM »
It's my first look at the actual cards and I notice some inconsistencies with the game text. Some character cards refer to the card by name and some refer by 'she'. IMO calling it by card name is smoother overall.

Edit: I've read through the rules and gameplay more closely now. Porting it to MWS is impossible as it's limited to 2 players. It can be worked with to play in MapTools.

If you want to organise a game of it, come gather interest in RPG. You'll need 10 posts before you can post in there though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 08:36:31 PM by Inaba Tewi »

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 01:58:35 AM »
It's my first look at the actual cards and I notice some inconsistencies with the game text. Some character cards refer to the card by name and some refer by 'she'. IMO calling it by card name is smoother overall.
The only two cards that do not state the character's names are Hong Meiling and Ichirin Kumoi, and their cards are that way because they do not reference any other players in them - they're all self-centered abilities.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:02:35 AM by Imasock »

Kerigis

• *Gnaws Donut*
  • Bow down before the true administrator!
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 03:12:42 AM »
Greetings, Imasock. My name is Kerigis.

First of all, I have to congratulate for the effort of making not only the design of the game, but also the images of the cards and the effort of making a manual (even in pdf!). It really makes a nice contribution to the Touhou games around!

Now, onto the constructive criticism:

The problems so far are these:
-Extra Card Rule
The "Power" rule says that you can have more cards than you can have if it was drawn via ability or equipment. This is completely hectic for a couple of reasons:
--For the player: The player must know which cards he drew via normal way and which ones were extra. That's one needless thing the player has to keep in mind.
--For the opponents: The opponents cannot be sure whether the player can be confused on his draws or, in the worst case, easy cheating.
-Player Multi-tasking.
Players have to keep up track of many things, and not only the Bang! stats, but also extra things like regeneration, and different spell card damage. That, added up to the rules and role bonuses, and most importantly metagaming, etc, it really makes it tough to make decision. Moreso with the high amount of players, thus extending the game probably for up to 2 or 3 hours. Early eliminated players might be turning into spectators.
-Minor typos, like the "Kanako Asoka" one.

Beside all that reading the rules, I really would like to try on the game itself and see which cards work and which ones need to be balanced.

Cheers.

Powerup punchin'!

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 03:33:59 AM »
Greetings, Imasock. My name is Kerigis.

First of all, I have to congratulate for the effort of making not only the design of the game, but also the images of the cards and the effort of making a manual (even in pdf!). It really makes a nice contribution to the Touhou games around!

Now, onto the constructive criticism:

The problems so far are these:
-Extra Card Rule
The "Power" rule says that you can have more cards than you can have if it was drawn via ability or equipment. This is completely hectic for a couple of reasons:
--For the player: The player must know which cards he drew via normal way and which ones were extra. That's one needless thing the player has to keep in mind.
--For the opponents: The opponents cannot be sure whether the player can be confused on his draws or, in the worst case, easy cheating.

Thank you for taking the time to read the manual/rules and comment, =D

Power is a variable, so it can change throughout the game very rapidly in some cases. Every character has a base power, and you can never have more cards in your hand at the end of your own turn than your power level. Equipment increases your character's power level, enabling you to hold more cards in your hand at the end of your own turn.

If you have a maximum power of 4 and you have 4 cards, then use a substitution and get to draw a card, making your hand at 5, you keep all 5. When your turn comes around, you draw 3 cards and now you have 8, which is fine. You just cannot have more than 4 cards at the end of your own turn, so you must play 4 of your 8 cards that turn, otherwise you'll have to discard down so that you only have 4 at the end of your own turn.

If you have a piece of equipment that says +1 to your power, now you can hold 5 cards at the end of your turn. Drawing "normal" or "extra" cards doesn't matter; it all counts towards your maximum hand size (power), but power only means something when it is the end of your own turn. There should be no confusion because power is only to be considered for a player at the end of that player's turn.  Just because I have 6 cards in my hand on YOUR turn but I only 5 power does not mean I can only have 5 cards, it just means I can only have 5 cards at the end of MY turn.

-Player Multi-tasking.
Players have to keep up track of many things, and not only the Bang! stats, but also extra things like regeneration, and different spell card damage. That, added up to the rules and role bonuses, and most importantly metagaming, etc, it really makes it tough to make decision. Moreso with the high amount of players, thus extending the game probably for up to 2 or 3 hours. Early eliminated players might be turning into spectators.

We use 34mm D20 dice, so keeping track of everyone's life is relatively easy. Reserve slots are not hard to keep track of because every character in the game has either 1 or 2, with the exception of 3 characters who can have a maximum of 3. There is only one role bonus: the Keeper's, which everyone knows who that is at the start of the game. All other "bonuses" are only situational bonuses, such as knocking out a mischief maker, or the Keeper knocking out a Protectorate. Regeneration tokens should be bright tokens kept on the character card for everyone to see (we use solid white glass beads you can typically find at craft stores, though most commonly people use the glass bead things to fill fish tanks, etc.). Even when we had 8 players, our games of BorderCross have never lasted more than an hour. Conversely, we have had "Bang!" games last 2-3 hours before, so it's nothing new. Decision-making in "Bang!" was far too simple for us; it is very easy for the game to become stale, so I included a few alternate mechanics to keep decisions tactical rather than obvious.

Part of the fun in BorderCross and "Bang!" is that aside from the Keeper/Sherrif, you really have no idea who's who until people start making drastic moves. Even then, there are still players who you won't know the identity of until they're knocked out; that's part of the metagame. Players who move in a tactical manner can keep their roles well hidden until the right moment, and players who play poorly will find themselved removed from the game quite quickly.

Players must be wary of when they attack at low life, because they may be countered, and if they have no dodge, they could very well end up killing themselves, much like the way Dynamite worked in "Bang!" without it being based on pure luck. Players can actually benefit from multiple combinations of cards and abilities that were simply not possible in "Bang!" due to the aforementioned strategy and tactical aspect I wanted in the game. It should require more thought, indeed.

"Bang!" tournaments I've seen at our local game store have also had players knocked out before they even get a turn. If a player has 3 life and they draw no "missed" cards (dodge cards, basically), they can easily be destroyed by "gatling", "indians", and other players' "bang" cards before their turn comes, and then they're out of the game until the next round. It is not all that uncommon.

-Minor typos, like the "Kanako Asoka" one.

Beside all that reading the rules, I really would like to try on the game itself and see which cards work and which ones need to be balanced.

Yes, Kanako's typos have already been fixed (I must have hit change all instead of ignore all in one of my spell-check reviews), as well as several other clarifications and fixes to various rules we have run across issues with.
Thank you very much for your input, I hope I've helped clear up your questions/comments.

Also, I felt it was worth mentioning and illustrating how a typical player's cards should look like when fully equipped and on the table (Click to enlarge):

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:17:05 AM by Imasock »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »
I'm not understanding how the equipment cards with range work. Let's use the pic in your post for the example.

Lyrica's Keyboard is range 3, does that mean I can now attack players who I see at up to 3 range?

Who begins the duel in Spell Lock?

Can all utility spells be played at any time?

If the main deck has zero cards in it before a player has finished drawingall of their cards, shuffle the main deck

If the main deck is out of cards, where do you get more cards to shuffle?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:02:01 AM by Inaba Tewi »

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 12:52:18 AM »
I'm not understanding how the equipment cards with range work. Let's use the pic in your post for the example.

Lyrica's Keyboard is range 3, does that mean I can now attack players who I see at up to 3 range?

Yes, as stated in the manual:
"All players may only attack with spells at a range of one (with the exception of Wriggle Nightbug). Right hand equipment cards will increase your range to higher values, allowing you to damage characters further away from you. The range required to damage a player is determined by the number of players in play, the seating arrangement of all players, and any equipment cards that modify range values as seen by other players or yourself (i.e. Aya?s Camera). Range is calculated in a linear fashion, moving around the play area according to how players are seated. Every additional player to your right or left is +1 range away. This is known as the Line.
If you do not meet the required range requirements to deal damage to a player, you may not attempt to cast a spell card (with the exception of the Recollection "Pandemonium" and Shikigami "Banquet of 12 General Gods" spell cards, which damage all players regardless of the range of the caster)."

There are several examples and illustrations in the manual showing ranges of players and how they are seen by you.

Who begins the duel in Spell Lock?
When you play the card, you have begun the Spell Lock. The first player to play a spell is your opponent, then you respond, and you continue going back and forth if you so choose. You can choose to not play a spell and take the damage.

Can all utility spells be played at any time?
All utility cards can be played during your own turn. The only utility cards that may be played out of your turn are Graze, Rebound, Substitution, and Supernatural Border cards.

If the main deck is out of cards, where do you get more cards to shuffle?
The discard pile is reshuffled.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 05:41:11 AM »
Mystia gets a little screwed over for choice if the discard pile disappears :/

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 05:45:38 AM »
It's not a huge deal. We've never shuffled the discard pile more than once in a single game. For all of 1 turn she would possibly be unable to use her power, and that only happens if she happens to be right after the active player when the discard pile disappears. She can still draw all 3 cards from the main deck.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 05:49:28 AM »
I know, but how swingy has card quality (advantage) proven to be in some scenarios?

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 06:00:13 AM »
Depends on your card draws, the allies and enemies you have, and how well you play out your strategies and roles. It really is quite variable, mileage may vary between players, playstyles, and the aforementioned factors.

You could like, try the game out and see for yourself. =O

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 06:05:11 AM »
I'm hoping to. We'd need a minimum of 5 people to do a 4-player over IRC/Maptools.

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 05:57:18 PM »
Have printed out a set and am bringing it to my gaming group tonight. Will report how it goes. Low turnout fail. Stupid midterms, making everybody stay home and study.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:01:06 AM by 8lue_megid0 »

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 03:09:41 AM »
Low turnout fail. Stupid midterms, making everybody stay home and study.

That's unfortunate, =/