Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments XI - Lunatics Only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 147929 times)

Re: Touhou Accomplishments XI - Lunatics Only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #510 on: May 11, 2011, 07:16:33 PM »
Indeed. It is quite irritating at times when people constantly have to call the good characters overpowered. ReimuA in SA - I choose her because she's a simple straightforward shot. Not because she deals a lot of damage. That's only a neat bonus. SanaeB - She has a good spreadshot and deals good damage as well. Overpowered? I'd more say, useful. She minimizes the level of memorization you will have to do without completely trivializing things like bosses. Its not like she makes things that much more easy anyway. Border Team - I love that team. Good homing capabilities and lock on during focus. Overpowered? No. I'd say the rest are underpowered since the game has so many popcorn enemies flying in from everywhere. You won't be able to keep proper track with them with anybody else.

No wonder you don't like UFOs stages, if you pick Sanae B you don't even have to do anything.

« Reply #511 on: May 11, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »
Oh no no. Most of my playing UFO is actually done with ReimuA with whom the stages are still easy.
Stage 4 is great. Stage 3 decent. Stage the rest - a chore.

Maybe that is an entirely new issue about UFO's stages... spread shot trivializes them. Some bullet hells have difficult stages even with spreadshot you know.

« Reply #512 on: May 11, 2011, 07:43:57 PM »
I don't really see most of the other shots as underpowered myself, more just "different and underappreciated".  Most of them have some sort of utility to them, even if one is more versatile/powerful overall.  Sure, a couple like MoF MarisaA or UFO MarisaB are flat-out garbage, but many are quite decent.  Marisa/Youmu/Remilia solo and Netherworld Team in IN are all pretty decent and underused.  PCB MarisaA has the strongest far shot, which is nice, even if she has fewer bombs and awful range.  MoF ReimuA trivializes stages, and MarisaC is quite good if you're used to her.  MarisaC makes a great survival shot in SA, ReimuB has the ever-loved homing (plus autocollect),.  MarisaA trivializes Nazrin's last card and Kogasa's first (and I'd assume Nue's UFO cards), ReimuB's surprisingly good for being the second-weakest shot (plus the smaller hitbox is nice).

Obviously one shot will be preferred for being the best, but the others are still decent in their own right.  In some cases, I actually prefer the "bad" shots for their abilities, particularly the homing and spread shots.  IN Marisa Solo being another of my favorites, since she gets all her Marisa power without getting crippled by Alice whenever she focuses

Drake

« Reply #513 on: May 11, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »
Even with spread shots, what if the UFOs didn't move as per 10D spirits? Would it still be as easy?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ark

• みょん
« Reply #514 on: May 11, 2011, 07:50:49 PM »
Marisa solo
wat

I mean the other two are pretty good, but wat

« Reply #515 on: May 11, 2011, 07:55:02 PM »
I don't really see most of the other shots as underpowered myself, more just "different and underappreciated".  Most of them have some sort of utility to them, even if one is more versatile/powerful overall.

Youmu/Remilia solo

I'd call both pretty unwieldy unless you have memorized specific routes for them. Especially Youmu.

Even with spread shots, what if the UFOs didn't move as per 10D spirits? Would it still be as easy?

I don't know what you intend with this? Should they be fixed at the top of the screen or something like that? Then how would you pick them up?

« Reply #516 on: May 11, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »
wat

I mean the other two are pretty good, but wat
High power, fast, and trivializes spells by wrecking familiars.  The only issue I really have with her is when familiars are flinged at you (damn yin-yang orbs).  Basically Youmu, but no need to aim Myon, for the tradeoff of a bit of power and full screen coverage.  I'm not really a Lunatic player on IN though so it may be different there, though I don't see why it should be.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #517 on: May 11, 2011, 09:14:45 PM »
Divine spirits have a much bigger "pickup" range than UFOs, so I don't know if this is a completely fair comparison. The first three stages of both games, at least, seem to include brief lulls in the danmaku to give you a chance at collection. We'll need to wait for TD's full version to see if the second half of that game does the same thing.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #518 on: May 11, 2011, 09:52:52 PM »
Alright, Marisa solo lunatic 1cc.

She's not quite as terrible as I thought (I was probably biased because of my negative experiences with Magic Team), and she does trivialize some things due to pure damage output, like Mystia's last nonspell. Still, being unable to kill things not directly above her makes the stage portions pretty annoying, and I'd still rather be any other human solo character. (Possibly even Sakuya.)

stage 4 lol

Also, no focus no vert constant shooting Youmu solo Rising World capture (youtube)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:26:46 AM by Nereid »

« Reply #519 on: May 13, 2011, 12:51:38 AM »
UFO Normal MarisaB 1cc.  Would have had my first perfect Murasa if I didn't die at 2 seconds on her timeout =(.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #520 on: May 13, 2011, 06:29:04 PM »
There we go! Finally capped Yuyuko's last spell in PCB hard. It went easy on me this time. :V
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #521 on: May 14, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
th07 all character and shot type cleared on Hard.
th10 all character and shot type cleared on Hard.

Last run of th07 hard was, as always, SakuyaA.
Finished the game with 8 lives and earned 826,605,190 points.
Lucky thing it ended with 1200/1400 points
Replay
Wait a second, looks like it can go up the MotK scoreboard!

What should I do now?

EDIT : Why did I forget "on Hard"?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:39:59 PM by Sungho »
Signature

« Reply #522 on: May 14, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »
I got so damn close to perfecting Yoshika today. 1 miss, no bombs, no hypers. Where was my slip-up? How about at her final spellcard? The easiest of the bunch. I feel like going off to yahoo in the mountains now.

Them non-spells. They are the coolest thing ZUN has ever done for a stage three boss.

« Reply #523 on: May 14, 2011, 11:07:15 PM »
IN normal 1cc with reimu/yukari.
My second 1cc after eosd. I just realized how ZUN uses the same song for good and bad endings. The beginning of the song is very depressing, but it picks up later in the latter part (which you would likely only hear seeing the longer good ending). Genius!

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=13755

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #524 on: May 15, 2011, 12:49:18 AM »
Them non-spells. They are the coolest thing ZUN has ever done for a stage three boss.

Finally we can agree on something. First time I played through on lunatic, I was all "eeh, this is alright playing," but then Yoshika's second non-spell started and I was all :o and then "Yeaaaaaaaaah!"

Accomplishments? Nothing that special. My pet project has been perfecting Sakuya lately, but Killing Doll has thwarted over a half-dozen otherwise perfect runs with its wonky hitboxes and random walls. >:(
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #525 on: May 15, 2011, 04:54:22 PM »
No miss lunatic boss Youmu battle. Would've been perfect if I didn't fail at misdirecting the first non-spell and had to use a bomb.

Why can I pull off crap like this yet keep on dying too much on stage 2 and 3 whenever I try to 1cc...?

« Reply #526 on: May 15, 2011, 07:44:39 PM »
Finally we can agree on something. First time I played through on lunatic, I was all "eeh, this is alright playing," but then Yoshika's second non-spell started and I was all :o and then "Yeaaaaaaaaah!"

The Ten Desires bringing people together!  :D
So... did you survive the non-spell?

NEETori

• Using my Extending Arms to steal donations.
  • TECHNOLOGY!
« Reply #527 on: May 16, 2011, 07:17:32 AM »
"WHAT NAO YOUMU"
"Clip Death"
*pichuun*

First 1cc of this game (on easy), and third 1cc overall (although I really don't think I should count a max lives run of IN easy). 

I'm just going to say that Private Square breaks Yuyuko's survival card and that SakuyaB's aimed shots makes taking down Chen a LOT easier than I thought it would.   I actually managed to have spare lives unlike my UFO clear(!) 

Yuyuko's not too bad, Byakuren was harder, but OTOH, I just bombed my way through a card that would otherwise destroy me.  I guess this is why ZUN no longer has survival cards as the Stage 6 boss's last card.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #528 on: May 18, 2011, 05:08:58 AM »
PCB ReimuB Lunatic 1cc. My first Lunatic 1cc ever.

Also notable for having my first resurrection butterfly 80% capture ever.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:17:39 AM by RegalStar »

« Reply #529 on: May 18, 2011, 05:22:03 AM »

It occurs to me that there have been some uncongratulated first 1cc's. My apologies. To them:

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #530 on: May 18, 2011, 05:23:43 AM »

Wow, talk about an epic finish, congratulations!

NEETori

• Using my Extending Arms to steal donations.
  • TECHNOLOGY!
« Reply #531 on: May 18, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »

Noice.  I can't read those red butterflies to save my life on any difficulty. 
thumbsupyuyuko.jpg

« Reply #532 on: May 19, 2011, 07:49:41 AM »
HA HA I BEAT STB 10-8
IT TOOK ME 300 PHOTOS BUT I DID IT
HA HA HA YES!!!!!
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #533 on: May 19, 2011, 07:38:47 PM »
UFO Stage 6 Lunatic 1D1B run.

Two words: Holy. Crap. This is by far my best performance on this stage. Death near the end of Good Omen (not unexpected really), and bomb on the second nonspell because I messed up my "Krim-style" streaming (that attack still sucks though). But everything else perfect? Even Legendary Flying Saucer? Damn, I never would have seen that coming off what was a purely random run.

No, I'm not gonna go for that full perfect run yet. It's a lot farther away than it looks, trust me.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #534 on: May 19, 2011, 09:35:11 PM »
Cleared scene 9-7 in DS. Wohoo!
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #535 on: May 19, 2011, 10:57:23 PM »
RAWR, EoSD Lunatic Reimu B 1CC! Finally, must have taken me well above 10 actual attempts at stage 6, a lot of head-aches due to smacking myself silly when I messed up badly, but it's finally done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCvIuTF8fDE

So happy right now that this is finally over. When I first got to stage 6, it seemed like I'd never be able to clear the game. To think I managed to improve this much in only 1 1/2 weeks. Cost me quite a bit of my sanity, though, got really caught up in this "Got to win"-mood. Still, I'm glad that I actually managed to beat my previous best High Score this time, the score of my first Hard Mode 1CC in EoSD was worse than the score I got during a failed run, so humiliating. Regardless, not like I was playing for score, I was trying to keep it so ridiculously safe, I might as well have worn safety equipment. 
Anyway, next I'm gonna improve my Extra Stage Score, which should allow me to be a bit more easy-going.

Shady_Ghost

• #totes
  • #legit
« Reply #536 on: May 20, 2011, 04:32:15 AM »
RAWR, EoSD Lunatic Reimu B 1CC!
Awesome job bro!  From my perspective that's a pretty good clear.  You didn't mess up as badly as me that's for sure ;(.  So once you're done with extra what will you do next? 

Anyway Im slowly getting through ufo lunatic.  But kogasa *shudders* oman if I dont have a bomb going into psm im so screwed   However Ive almost figured out her last card so maybe it'll be alright.  Now if only I can stop slamming things on stage 3...  :V
2lazy2createbettersig

« Reply #537 on: May 20, 2011, 01:02:51 PM »
EoSD Easy 1LC.  Bombed on Sakuya's last nonspell and her last spell once each.  Also, I really wish this game had a stage 6 on easy, it's no fun ending on meido :(.

I think I'll do SA next.  I almost had one with the MarisaA tourney round, but I got screwed over by the shot type on Orin (spread shot killed a spirit, which blew up in my face).

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #538 on: May 20, 2011, 02:39:08 PM »
Awesome job bro!  From my perspective that's a pretty good clear.  You didn't mess up as badly as me that's for sure ;(.  So once you're done with extra what will you do next? 

Anyway Im slowly getting through ufo lunatic.  But kogasa *shudders* oman if I dont have a bomb going into psm im so screwed   However Ive almost figured out her last card so maybe it'll be alright.  Now if only I can stop slamming things on stage 3...  :V

Haha, thanks! After the Extra, I'll go through PoFV Lunatic + Extra and repeat the same procedure for MoF, SA and UFO. I really, really hope I can finish this before the TD retail release, would be awesome.

Still, it's quite incredible to how great an extent I can see through most of the patterns in the Extra Stage right now whereas I was barely managing to cling to my life the first time I cleared it. Still no idea what kind of High Score I should be aiming for, gonna have to see what I can realistically pull off without putting in too much time since I my main goal is simply to upload an improved run with better video quality and annotations.

Regardless, UFO Lunatic's pretty tough, though, isn't it? Haven't taken a look at it yet, but Hard Mode made me cringe more than once.

Yuyuko Yakumo

• Carry me~ow
  • Rawr I eat your face with maaaaaagicalness
« Reply #539 on: May 20, 2011, 08:49:27 PM »
Finally 1cc'd SA on normal. It's not a Lunatic run, but that game is hard. I had to practice stage 5 at least 20 times before getting it right.

Though I managed to lose only one life during my run on Orin's stage.  \o/
I know, I know. I'll get a real avatar and signature soon. -_-