Author Topic: Touhou Kaidanron (東方怪談論) ? Beyond the Mystic Square (Finished)  (Read 3416 times)

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
(Disclaimer)
This fanfic has nothing to do with actual event that took place in Gensokyo.

(Warning)

1. This fanfic is long, because it is finished in one go.  (well, it's 36 pages long on single space on MSWord, which I consider it pretty long)
2. This fanfic ATTEMPTS to connect the event between Mystic Square to Embodiment of Scarlet Devil LOGICALLY in the author's own interpretation based on the official setting, thereby trying to fill a big gap between TH05 and TH06, FULLY KNOWING that ZUN wanted a reset.
3. As I said, it is finished in one go, so you might find a lot of spelling mistakes and grammar inconsistencies.  But since this is Gensokyo, wierd talks should be no problem (probably).
4. Randomly CAPITALIZING the words makes me look silly.  I know.

Note:
(1) The name order follows the original Japanese: Last Name ? First name.  ex. Hakurei Reimu.  The exception to this rule is if the name derived from other languages.  Ex. Alice Margatroid. 

(?) I?ll put more notes as I see it fit.  God bless the Edit Function.

And our story begins:

??and just what do you think you two are doing here?? Hakurei Reimu, the Shrine Maiden of the Hakurei Shrine, prepared her hands to extract the fearsome power from the Yin-Yang Orb to two interlopers.

?Hey, hey, put that down.  We aren?t here to fight you or anything, believe it or not.?  Kirisame Marisa, the magician in purple velvet greeted our heroine as she let herself comfortably in her broomstick.

?Wrong, Kirisame.  Here, in Makai where my magic can amplify as much as these magnificent magic energy that flows limitlessly, I can finally have my vengeance on Reimu, take the power of Yin-Yang Orb for myself and achieve my goal of complete annihilation of the human race?  Or something like that, how?s it going, Reimu??

?With you saying, it doesn?t sound like a joke.  Go away.?  Even with her wonderful spiritual power obtained from Hakurei?s treasured heirloom, Reimu had troubles dealing with this troublesome ghost, who called herself Mima.  As a shrine maiden, it was her duty to seal away and exorcise demons and ghosts, but Mima always managed to escape or break free.  In the end, Reimu just let her be as long as she didn?t make too much of a trouble.  It was probably a bad idea, but she weighed her options.

?My, my, you shouldn?t treat the goddess of your shrine that way.?  Yeah, Mima chose to haunt around the Hakurei shrine after Reimu stopped caring, and starting from some point of time, she declared herself the deity of the shrine, without much objections, since even Reimu herself did not know the god of her shrine (she was fine with herself being the only residence of the shrine and serve her own need in place of shrine?s ?god?).  Even that wouldn?t have bothered Reimu too much, except that now Mima would treat Reimu like her subordinate quite often.  When it finally reached Reimu?s nerves, Mima had this to say:

?Your shrine doesn?t get any visitors anyways (R: whose fault do you think that is?!).  Thanks to me, you at least got one human coming to your shrine regularly to pay me tribute.  So obviously, it?s your job as a shrine maiden to serve its diety.  To the great Mima: 1.  To whatever-your-shrine-god-may-be: 0.  If you don?t like it, you better find yourself your shrine god for some epic battle for the true owner of the shrine or seal me up yourself.? 

That one human would be Kirisame Marisa, who often visited the shrine to play around, eat Reimu?s precious food supplies and learned magic from Mima, which resulted in a mess Reimu had to clean up.  So, as you can see, it probably was a very good idea for Reimu to for once get rid of her laziness and start training in order to seal this malicious spirit for eternity, but she had her reasons not to, and that?s the other side of the coin. 
?God or not, it?s still the same to me.  I?ll beat them up if they happen to be a bother.?  Reimu continued as she moved forward, blasting anything that got in her way with her spiritual charms.

?Good, for once, that mentality will prove useful this day.? Mima and Marisa followed, unleashing their focused magic beams, disintegrating whatever that was in front of them.

?That?s as far as you go!?

An unfamiliar voice of a small girl interrupted their unholy crusade.  Despite the warning, the trio unleashed their might against their target, uninterested in finding out the face behind the voice.  It proved to be a surprise for them that all their attacks were not only negated, but also reflected back towards their position.  After dodging their own attacks, they stopped their attack to see who proved to be worthy of stopping our unstoppable heroines.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Beautiful flowers often borrow their fantastic colors from the nectar they seep from the Earth Mother.  That is why all flowers look the same, yet each of them are distinct to the keen eyes, as their hues express how gluttony these flowers are.  Often, the best of flowers in human?s standard is often the most selfish one who obtained the most nectar than the rest.  Naturally, this flower will wither last, testifying the mortality of its neighbours.  One could say this is retribution; the yin-yang to the flower?s selfish ordeal. 

Rarely, but surely, one of them will grow up to become a fearsome flower youkai.  But that?s a story for some another time.  As Yuuka strolled towards the door towards Makai, she found a rather materialized being other than those ghosts or fairies that got in her way lying beaten, constraint to some spiritual power bound to a seal.

?Well, what do we have here?? As Yuuka effortlessly destroyed the seal, the victim rose up, with tears in her eyes.

?Waah, thank you so much.  That horrible shrine maiden, she didn?t have to go that far??

?That?s usual for her kind.  It?s her way of saying, ?hi.?  Now, who might you be??

?I?m Sara, and I?m in charge of keeping this door to Makai.  You are a youkai, aren?t you?  What business do you have here??

?Well, I have this flower who wants to drink the nectar other than from earth, so I was wondering if I can get some in somewhere else.?

?I?m not too sure what you are talking about, but if you are thinking about going into Makai, as a gatekeeper, I can?t let you do that.?

?Oh, too bad, and I?ve saved your life too.?

?I?m sorry, but??

?Perhaps I should greet you the same??

?Wa, wait a min??

Needless to say, the battle was finished in a manner of few seconds.

?Have you no shame, barging in to our world like this and killing Makai residents??  The blond girl with blue hair ribbon stretched out her arms in criticism.

?Well, they started attacking me first.?  Reimu plainly replied.

?And they drop power-ups and good loots.?  Marisa did the same.

?And who might you be??  Mima made an effort for rebound.

?I?m Alice!  The daughter of the goddess of this world!  I won?t let you disturb my world?s peace any longer!?

?Daughter of goddess, huh?  That sounds interesting.  Kirisame, Reimu, step aside.  I shall personally measure what this magic world has to offer.?

?Do whatever you like,? Reimu said as she flew ahead.

?Be careful, Mima-sama.?  Marisa did the same.

?Hmph, do you think I?ll lose to the likes of her?? 

?Do you think I?ll let you pass?!?  Alice shouted as she threw small objects to the two heroines moving forward.  What looked like a shape of a miniature humanoid shapes revealed weaponry thrusting directly towards the two humans.   

With a swift glance and a strike from her crescent staff, Mima?s stardust swept the space between Alice and her dolls.  With two tones of sharp tension coming to a break, the dolls lost their trajectory, aimlessly flying away from their original object.  As they hit the ground, small explosion disintegrated their bodies along with the pavements underneath them.

?Too bad for you, you won?t have the luxury of taking your eyes off elsewhere when you are facing me.?  Mima did not give hesitation to make her next move towards Alice, as Reimu and Marisa made their escape.

?Ooh, fine.  I?ll deal with you first and take care of those two!?  Alice stared at her opponent with a deadly glare, as the space around her and Mima started to distort chaotically.

?Hmm???  Mima glanced around her of the changing surrounding, as she felt that the magic energy of Makai gradually disappeared from her grasp.  ?Not too bad.  Dimension manipulation, is it??

?This is my world, of Alice, the Girl of Death!  I?ll take you out swiftly with my armies of my beloved dolls!?  Alice proclaimed as she invited herself with two more dolls, ready to obey their puppet master.

?You are welcome to try.  Too bad I?m already dead though.?

?Let?s go!?

?Oh, my, Reimu has been relentless.  She didn?t leave much for me, how boring.?  Yuuka complained as she strolled around the boundaries between her world and Makai.  The only option was then to go forward, beyond the boundary to Makai, and perhaps even deeper.

?Hi, excuse me.  Do you happen to know where the door that leads outside to Makai is??  A figure dressed in slight violet hat and a dress inquired Yuuka, being quite uninformed of the whole situation that was occurring in Makai.

?Well, I do know of the door that leads in.  I don?t know anything about leading out.? 

?I could try the? Wait, in?  Are you from the outside world?  What are you doing inside Makai??

?Well, I wonder??

?Please go back.?

?Oh, my, perhaps that?s what I should say to all the demons of Makai invading the outside world, including someone in front of me.?

?Ours is an organized tour, while yours is just plain intrusion.  If you won?t go back, I?ll have to force you.?

?I hope you are strong enough~!?

Unfortunately for Yuuka, she wasn?t strong enough. 

?Brr, this place is freezing!?  Marisa complained as she flew around the Frozen World of Makai.  Although much more well-dressed, she was the one to complain first.

?Surely a lot of ghosts here, perhaps that?s why it?s so cold in the first place,.?  Reimu referred to the spirits she was exorcising towards her path.

?Not only that, there?s unusually high amount of magic energy crystallized.?  Marisa added.

?What does that have to do with the cold??  Reimu inquired.

?Magic essentially draws its energy from entropic state of the universe.  In order to materialize this essence into a crystal, it will absorb its surroundings towards more chaotic state, which means for us, it will get colder.?

?Oh, I see?? Well, it didn?t really matter to Reimu that much, as long as she can get this over with.

?I wonder why there are so many ghosts around here though??  Marisa asked a question in hope of a reply.

?

?Doesn?t usually someone come to answer that?? 

?Oh yeah, that?s our cue.? 

From a distance, a reply came as two figures emerged.

?I?m Yuki, and that?s Mai!  Together, we?ll make you find eternal peace in this place!?

?Wait, don?t you think you are rushing too??

And with a sudden blast, the tag match of 2vs2 started suddenly.

?Waah, why can?t I hit you?!?  Alice expressed her frustration, as she continuously summoned her limitless supply of dolls that were disappearing to ashes without hitting its target.

?Unfortunately, for you, I?m pretty fast.  Also, if the puppets are without its strings, they can?t dance.?  Mima effortlessly swiped the targets in front of her, causing the dolls to explode midair.  Then she followed with another quick swing, which sent a beam of blast straight towards Alice.

?Crap!?  Alice shouted as she barely managed to summon another two dolls in time, which conjured a reflective barrier to counter Mima?s attack.

?Well, I must say that I?m pretty disappointed at what the daughter of goddess of Makai had to offer.  Should I just end it here??  Mima declared as she gave a bit of focus, and consecutively blasted at the reflective barrier as she dodged swiftly on all the reflective blast.

Alice knew that with this kind of attack, her reflective barrier wasn?t going to last long, and there would be no place for her to dodge the incoming blast.  As the barrier began to crack, she knew she was running out of options.

?Shanghai!  Hourai!  Time is now!?  Alice shouted as another two dolls, dressed particularly fancy, emerged from Mima?s back and ambushed the vengeful ghost.

Mima flew away from her position to evade the incoming strike, but found herself that these dolls very fluently flew towards her to connect their attacks with rapid succession.  She immediately realized that these dolls had no strings attached.  They were independent from Alice?s hands.

?Interesting!?  Mima shouted as she blasted powerful aura around her entire body, forcing the two dolls away from their close encounter.

?Shanghai!  Hourai!  Are you okay??  Alice gathered her two dolls, as the two gave a silent nod.

?I wouldn?t be surprised if the daughter of goddess of Makai could animate life.  Quite immature form though, I must say.  Now, I?ve seen all that I want to see.?

Mima grinned as she dismissed her staff, as she positioned her hands ready for the next attack.

?Everyone, attack?? Before Alice could say another word, a powerful wide blast covered around Alice and her dolls.  With that said, Alice?s world came to shatter, revealing the Makai once again as the victor gazed over down the defeated girl.

?Is it just me that you look like that girl??  Reimu pointed at Yuki, comparing with Marisa. 

?Nope.?  Marisa replied as she dodged the incoming laser that seem to curve towards their direction.

The two parties exchanged fire, which in turn were either dodged or being blocked by the magical barriers.  It was harder than usual for Reimu and Marisa to coordinate their attack such that they wouldn?t hit each other with their own attacks. 
?Watch it, Marisa!  You almost hit me with your laser!?  Reimu said as she grazed the laser that swiped across the latitude, with its trajectory sweeping close to Reimu.

?Darn it!  Hey, you two, mind if we just split this battle 1vs1 for each instead??

?And why should we?  We clearly have an advantage here~!  We?ve been defeating many of the challengers who dared entering our domain with our coordinated efforts!  Together, we are unstoppable!?  Yuki proclaimed proudly as she unleashed her fire-based attacks that were well spread out.   

?They are trying to spread us apart.  Could they possibly be???  Marisa had no time to think next as Mai?s ice-based attacks with deadly focus drove Marisa further away from Reimu. 

?Marisa, come back!  We have to stick together!?  Reimu demanded.

?I know!  Stop ordering me around!?  Marisa was clearly frustrated at the situation.  With this pattern continuing, there was no way for Marisa to stick to Reimu.  Should they separate themselves opposite to each other, they will be risking in shooting bullets to each other.  It was a psychological trauma.

For Marisa who liked straight-forward fighting, this was asking too much for her.  It was probably easier for her to fight both of them alone than minding Reimu.  In fact, why was she so concerned about hitting Reimu?  Didn?t they start out as an enemy? 

?And now we?ve got you!?  As Reimu and Marisa?s angle of separation grew wide enough, Yuki declared as Mai and she both conjured a spell which activated the crystallized magic beneath them, creating a wall mixed with fire and ice that left them no angle to reunite, but now had stood in the worst position possible they feared.

?Now, your line of fire will always aim towards one another.  All we have to do is dodge your attack and the shots will fly right towards your partner.  All you can do now is dodge our attacks until you make a mistake.  It?s the end of the line for you!?

Perhaps it was because it was made up of inorganic matter that it regained its conscious that dwelled inside.  Shanghai and Hourai were the first to awake finding themselves that they did not disintegrate from the blast, and with their master Alice still lying unconscious.  Realizing the situation and with the enemy gone somewhere else, they poked around Alice, trying to find a way to awaken their master.

?Oh, here?s an interesting sight,? a strange voice alerted the two dolls, as they raised their close ranged weaponry towards the closing target.

?Don?t worry.  I?m not the type of youkai who will attack someone who is defenceless.?  With that said, the aroma from Yuuka breezed towards Alice, as she started gaining conscious.

?What? happened here?  I guess I lost?? Alice muttered as she started opening her eyes to gaze in surprise.

?You? are the one that I just met who told me to wake up!  I thought you were just a dream??  Alice declared perplexedly.   

?Unless this is a dream within a dream, that?s a neat idea, don?t you think?? Yuuka smiled at the girl.  A smile that Alice had no mood to appreciate for, so she kept silent.

?That?s a rather interesting dolls you have there.  Can I play with it?? Yuuka pointed towards Shanghai and Hourai, who immediately ran towards Alice in protection.

?Don?t!  They are my precious creations!?  In hurry, Alice summoned them back towards her world, where the dolls were gone from the existing world of Makai.

?If you can make more of them, then mind sharing me one or two??

With that, Alice?s face fell once again.  Whether to recognize that Yuuka?s eccentricity made her open her mind a bit, or was it something that happened within Alice?s own dream, she wasn?t sure, but she ended up saying it anyways.

?I can?t make dolls like these two anymore.  That?s why they are so precious to me.?  Alice replied.

?Hmm, is that so?  Say, I wonder what kind of flowers will bloom in Makai??

With that, Yuuka waved her hands towards the ground enriched in magical energy.  The ground split with terrible echoes as sunflowers erected in rapid growth, yet its sun-like flower was tainted by the magical energy to make it look more like the surface of the moon.  Alice, who saw flowers for the first time in her life, paid no heed to these strange circumstances but marvelled at what the stranger in front of her could do.

?That?s amazing!  Are they alive??  Alice inquired to confirm her suspicion.

?Yup, each of them a precious living being despite not acting like one.? Yuuka gazed at Alice, satisfied with Alice?s interest in her minions.

?They are very pretty.  What are they called?? Alice asked.

?They are the most beautiful flower in the world.  They are called Sunflowers.  They have a tendency to gaze towards the most powerful source of energy that would feed their needs of growth.?
With that said, Alice realized that despite the magic that was rooting them deep; the sunflower all gazed towards Yuuka.  That was when Alice realized that she was no ordinary being.

?You are from the other world, aren?t you?  What are you doing here in Makai?? Alice asked.

?Well, who knows?  Perhaps it was to meet an interesting person such as you.?  Yuuka replied.

?Why do you think?? Alice couldn?t finish her statement at the next interjection that Yuuka threw.

?You are a human, aren?t you??

?No, I?m not!? Alice threw at her denial.

?Don?t lie.  I?m a youkai.  I can tell difference between the beings of Makai and human quite clearly.? 

?I?m Alice, the girl of Death!  The gifted creation of the Goddess of Makai, whom she called me her daughter!  Don?t insult me or my mother, or I won?t forgive you!?

?Oh, my, is this what they do to little kids these days??  Yuuka sighed as she stood apart from Alice.

?Too bad though.  Compared to humans who always to wish grow stronger, you who believe you are a mere doll, will only bore me.?

With that, Yuka and the sunflower field disappeared, as terrible earthquake seemed to change the very foundation of the ground, swallowing Alice up. 

?Oh, and I?m taking these.?  Yuuka?s voice was heard from a distant as Alice couldn?t believe that Shanghai and Hourai, which were supposed to be kept safely in her own dimension was pulled out from it, disappearing along with it.

When the ground completely swallowed up Alice, Alice opened her eyes to awaken herself into reality, realizing that was just a dream, though yet? not quite.  Shanghai and Hourai were gone.

?Well, now, that wasn?t too hard.?  Reimu said to Marisa as she also sensed that Mima was approaching towards them.

?Something held you up for me to catch on??  Mima asked.

?Just some two witches, who thought that we will never aim bullets at each other.?

?Damn it, Reimu!  You could have at least given me some warnings!?

?Oh, I?m sure you were going to be fine.  And look, you are fine!  That?s all that it matters, right??

?Why do you think I tried to reserve? Whatever??

?Can we move on, please??  Mima requested.

?Yeah, let?s go.  But not before this.?  Reimu said, ?I know you are there, come on, out.?

?Oh, my, am I discovered??  With that, Yuuka emerged, materializing herself into her usual attire.

?Yuuka?  What are you doing here?!?  Marisa inquired, in a similar fashion when Reimu asked them when they first met.

?I thought coming here would be very interesting, but so far, it has been a bore.  So I came up here to find if there?s anything interesting.  Speaking of which?? Yuuka said as she gazed at Mima.

?I was thinking about the same thing.?  Mima gazed as Yuuka with a hideous smile, satisfied with the powerful aura that they felt upon each other.  At a first glance, they knew each other they weren?t ordinary shrimps.

Before the clash of the titanic power could prove who was better, a voice that surmised a great and authoritative power echoed the Makai.

?So, you are all here!  I knew you would come!? 

With that, the world of Makai turned upside down into a screeching abyss, as erupting fire that burned down the civilizations into a void surrounded them.  And on the center of it all, two figures emerged.  One that had a silly ahoge and the other that wore a ridiculous maid uniform.

?I believe you have caused quite a ruckus in my world.  Your rampage must come to a stop.?

?Your world?  So you are the goddess of Makai??  Yuuka asked.

?Indeed I am.  I?m Shinki, the goddess of Makai.  I?ve created everything in this world.?  Shinki addressed herself leaving the maid beside her still in question, who have been silent but with deadly gaze.   

?That means you are the boss of Makai, right?  I?ve been looking for you!  What the hell think you are doing with all the demons from Makai entering into our world??  Reimu shouted.

?Demons?  To your world?  It?s probably just a touring agency from my civilians who want to see the other world at their leisure.  I don?t see anything wrong with that.?

?Of course there is,? Mima interjected.  ?The human world is mine.  The beings of makai shouldn?t so freely invade into my realm.  So I?ve come here to do something about it.?

?Well, I suppose I could have given you a warning.  I?ll see what I can do later.?

?Not later, now!  Go tell the beings of Makai not to come into our world so much.  It increases my workload!?  Reimu shouted.

?But you are a shrine maiden.  It?s your job to do it.  And you are quite rude in talking to a god like that.  Are you also like that to your own god at a shrine??

?Well, she doesn?t really have a god on her shrine.?  Marisa commented.

?What are you talking about, Kirisame?  Of course there is.?  Mima pointed at herself.

?So from what I can gather, you?ll quietly listen to our demands if we defeat you, right~??  Yuuka summed it all up for the usual pattern of settling their problems.

?I won?t let you do that,? the girl in maid uniform stepped towards the quartet, ?I alone will take you all four at once so Lady Shinki doesn?t even need to lift her finger.?

?Way to go in raising your death flag, Yumeko.?  Shinki muttered.

Do I really have to describe the battle if you know the outcome?

?Well, now that?s over with.  Let?s fight the big boss now.?  Yuuka cheerfully gazed towards the goddess of Makai, with defeated maid who proved to be the most challenging, yet not challenging enough for them to be stopped.

?Very well, all of you must be very significant people, though mere humans, to defeat the best of my creation.?

?Don?t group me with these humans!?  Yuuka interjected.

?You have some mouth, which fit of a pompous god,? Mima agreed.

?Well, whatever.  Let me show you a slight taste of god!  Here I go!?

Then, between the four heroines, the dimensional rip created a void where they existed in a separate world.  In each world, Shinki appeared; ready to unleash her godly might upon the four.

Perhaps was it that she was divided into four beings that her power was four times less?  Surprisingly, Shinki proved herself to be even less of a challenge than her finest creation, Yumeko.  As Shinki was defeated from each dimension, each dimension returned to its original state, with each four heroines finding themselves together again.

?Too strong, just what the heck are you people?? Shinki, being a god, couldn?t simply die from the battle that easily, but overwhelming power seemed too much for them to handle.

?For the one that claimed to be a god, that was disappointing.  Still, that would place me the superior being between the two worlds.  I shall then return to my domain.?  Mima left with that reply.

?Hmm, if the source of all magic isn?t this much big of a deal, maybe I shouldn?t bother learning it at all.?  Yuuka, with that thought in mind, decided to leave quietly as well.

?I should leave too.  Staying here too long is probably not good for a human body.?  Marisa said as she went away.

?Again, tell your Makai residents about coming to the human world.  In fact, tell them not to come at all!  Or I?ll beat you up again!?  Reimu left with that remark.

?Sure, sure?? Shinki said as she disappeared.  As Makai was her own world, she knew about everything that was going on in it.  It wasn?t too much of a big deal for her to pull the strings of her own creation to withdraw them from the human world.  As the four heroines finally left Makai, Shinki finally let down a sigh.

?Well, that went well.?  The voice that echoed Shinki?s thought alerted her, as the voice was from a source alien to her own world.

?It sure has.  Everything is going according to my plan.  Unless? you are planning to interfere.?  Shinki noted such a mysterious presence would only mean one being, who must have oversaw it all from the beginning.

?Well, you wouldn?t be the type who would just back down at what I say.  It will be too troublesome if we started quarrelling all over again, correct??

?So you?ll just let me try to break the seal that you have placed over thousands of years.  You sound as if I can?t make it happen, Yakumo Yukari.?

?Well, it?s fun to issue a challenge once in a while.  Besides, it would be a waste for your painful efforts of voluntarily killing off your own creations to those four to turn fruitless.?

?So you saw through to it that much,? Shinki cautiously noted.

?Of course, in order to win against someone, you must know them first.  Magic can be a very controversial thing.?

?Are you done?  I would like to go and awaken her now.? Shinki concluded.

?As you wish.  Oh, for your information, a very sad girl is coming to your way.  Though you?d already know that.?  With that, Yukari disappeared back to her gap.

Once upon a time, two equally powerful beings were created through the collective fear that struck them the most.  The fear of the night and the fear of the unnatural.  The fear of the night created the youkai who held the essence of the unknown, existing and manipulating the gaps that were at an absence of human?s understanding.  The fear of the unnatural created the youkai who held the essence of what we call magic, accomplishing something that we know to be impossible.

Peculiar humans who proved to be capable of dismissing their fear against these, especially those who proved worthy, were given a choice to tap into their infinite power for them to wield on their own will.  But in order to do that, some kind of pact that would be placed for all eternity in their blood line would have to be agreed.  All of the magicians who demonstrated magic, including Kirisame Marisa, either themselves or their ancient ancestors, have made a deal with Shinki, which allowed them to use magic.

The conversation with Yukari made Shinki be reminiscent of their squabbles on placing themselves who was the stronger being.  Naturally, that would have been reflective of how much fear the people had in these two respective substance.  Several wars came here and there, with plotting to and against, in ultimate goal for the people to fear them more and more.  Yet, as the age progressed, people started to overcome their fear on unnatural things.  Also, for many things that they previously considered as unnatural, they created their own logic and understanding to explain them in a natural way. 

Yet, the fear of night was not something that humans could not stop, even to this day.  From one point or the other, Shinki admitted defeat, yet Yukari allowed her to coexist in the land of the lotus, the land that she specifically preserved for all youkais created likewise to live in.  Though this was not to say that Shinki grew weaker than any other youkais out there.  Her embodiment of the unnatural is still feared by billions of humans to this day, in a form of all kinds of religion.  In order to antagonize their own fear, the humans were able to create the ultimate being who allowed themselves to believe that they were the descendents of such an ultimate being.  The fear of unnatural, which was Shinki herself, was a natural enemy to such an ultimate being.  With a simple manipulation of history, this has now become the truth.  This ultimate being did exist from the beginning, and did bring descendents down towards what is now called humans. 

Simply speaking, the human?s faith towards gods in religion was also the source of Shinki?s strength.  The belief in science was also no different.  It was just a shifting of paradigm.

Declaring herself a god was the first step that Shinki took in order to strengthen that fear any humans would have on the unnatural.  As she came to a symbiotic relationship with the humans, she came to be amazed and entertained at how frail, yet how powerful humans can be.  Makai, the world of her own now dwelling in Gensokyo, and all its inhabitant who was her creation except for one, all felt like a puppet play for Shinki, which served her no real purpose of her existence. 

?The existence of youkais is meaningful only if the humans who fear them also befriend them.?  Time after time, Shinki felt that this was an undeniable truth.  Perhaps Yukari learned of it first and created Gensokyo in the first place with the Hakurei clan to take charge.  Yukari must have realized it way before Shinki did, and now? who knows what she?s planning, yet it all made sense if it had to do something with deepening her relationship with the Hakurei clan.  To be honest, youkais pride themselves to be much more superior beings than humans, so it was difficult for Shinki to get used to acting like one, especially when she could rule over them as a god.   

?Mama!  I?ve lost Shanghai and Hourai!? Alice sobbed as she entered Shinki?s realm, then was shocked to see the defeated Yumeko and Shinki?s messy attire.  ?Did they beat up mama and Yumeko-chan too???

?It?s ok, Alice.  They are all gone now.  But Mama?s going to be busy remaking the Makai again.  Can you come back a bit later, please??  Shinki requested, with a part of her own lie.

?But? they took Shang??

?Go away, Alice!? Shinki let out her frustrated yell to her acclaimed daughter, probably for the first time of her life.  Alice?s sorrow probably quadrupled at Shinki?s scoldings, Shinki could realize that, but she wasn?t too sure of what to make of why Alice would make so much big of a deal out of those two dolls.

Alice was a human child who was entrusted to Shinki when she was very young to know their parents, the humans who were a lineage of human magicians.  These humans pledged to their god (Shinki) because they had nowhere else to entrust their child before they would meet their soon misfortunate ends.  By this time, Shinki?s acceptance in interacting with humans was quite resolved, and decided to dare parenthood to this human child.

Alice?s bloodline was that of especially gifted magic of space manipulation.  This was completely different from Yukari?s border manipulation as this one had the capacity to shape one?s space to one?s own imagination of unnatural things, not that of an unknown.  But as Alice grew and watched her supposed mother, it was natural for a child to exactly be like the powerful mother whom she loved and respected.  That was when Alice decided to study puppetry magic, and ultimately to imbue life and free will to her dolls, just like what her mother could do with the dust imbued with Shinki?s own essence of magic. 

However, Alice was just a human.  She grew to learn moving the puppets with strings very dynamically with her hands, and then eventually two dolls at a same time.  But she still had no progress in finding a magic formula at making a doll that could move without a string.       

Then, Shinki decided to secretly imbue her own magic to two of the recent dolls that Alice was making the day before her birthday ? the day when Shinki brought her to Makai.  When Alice found out that her formula ?worked? in creating the two dolls that could move without the strings, and obeyed her orders completely, she was the happiest person in the entire Makai, for that was a step closer in becoming like her beloved mother. 

Though when Alice couldn?t make the same kinds of dolls again, she quickly got depressed.  Shinki explained to Alice that magic of life has to be done at a right place, at a right time, with all the right procedure, for life is a very delicate thing.  Of course, that was a lie for Shinki to keep up Alice from continuing to try, but for what humans were capable of, that lie might eventually come out as the truth given the time.

So Alice treasured Shanghai and Hourai much more than any other dolls, though for Shinki, it was just another animated life moving on her own will.  For the creator of Makai who moves everything basically at her own will, Shinki could not find any values on valuing those two dolls.  It could be very easily replaced, and that?s what she?ll probably do, after she?s finished with much more important thing.  For her to finish the last phase of the plan that costed her with destruction of pretty much most of the Makai.

What could it be?

In Alice?s own private room, many thoughts and emotions swirled in Alice?s mind.  She was a human after all, though she denied herself as one.  She has seen plenty of Makai residents, especially Yumeko, who seem to be perfectly able to move on their own free will, and that she must have been one of them. 

It was the first time that her mother yelled at her so harshly.  Frustration, anger, disappointment and humiliation were the first emotion Alice had to cope with: the emotion that wouldn?t let her eyes from stop crying.  Eventually, her logic and deduction followed after to consider why her mother would be so mad at her in the first place. 

Did Shinki not understand that those two dolls reflected Alice?s tremendous love for her?  Didn?t Shinki love Alice trying to be like what she is?  With all the encouragements and support that Shinki gave to Alice, that didn?t make sense, so Alice crossed it out.  There must have been some other sort of frustration that her mother had to go through.

Reaching that conclusion, Alice?s frustration resurfaced as she felt if there were more important things like restoring Makai than tending to her daughter?s need.  The two dolls were extremely important to Alice.  Even if her mother didn?t think so, she should have at least shown her support, or word of encouragement to get them back. 

Then it struck Alice that perhaps her mother was also emotionally distressed, that the humiliation of defeat got to both of them first instead of caring for more important things.  Then her emotions burned against the perpetrators of Makai, who started all this mess in the first place.  Come to think of it, weren?t they the ones who were destroying Makai, the world that her beloved mother created?  Weren?t they the ones who took Shanghai and Hourai?  Weren?t they the ones who forced Shinki to express her anger towards Alice? 

With that thought now firmly placed, her emotions burned with anger, and she needed revenge, with any kinds of, using any means necessary, to try her best to get back to those four bastards.  Especially the ghost who utterly defeated her and the youkai who could invade her dreams. 

With that thought, she turned her head towards her grimoire that she received on one of her birthday by Shinki.  It was a big and mysterious book, and when she first received it, she was surprised that there wasn?t anything written on it.  Shinki explained as thus:

?This grimoire is my special present towards you towards the most mysterious aspect of magic.  See, nothing is written in the book.  This means that you are the direct author of the magic of the book.  The spells that you think of and write in the book, it will magically appear.  Be it that you want something nice to eat, or some nice explosion, anything will do.  Unfortunately, the grimoire?s ability is governed by the entropy.  So you won?t be able to use a spell like resurrection or creating life.  But I?m sure without this grimoire?s help, I?m sure you can find your way of making your perfect doll.  Happy Birthday, Alice.?

So far, the grimoire has been mostly dedicated to creating a shape of doll and summoning them at her own will.  But now with the possibility of using it for some other purpose to protect her beloved mother and retrieving her dolls, she carried her book and went away to her distance.

Shinki saw all that, and thought that Alice was going to attempt at making the next generation of dolls.  She could not read minds of a human, after all.

?Yumeko, get up.  It?s time for our final phase of the plan.?

?Yes, Lady Shinki.  Though my body is badly bruised to quickly obey that command?? Then, with a swift wave, Yumeko?s body was healed to serve Shinki?s need.
?As you expected, Lady Shinki, the magical essence of the destroyed Makai residents is gathering at a huge flux towards us.?  Yumeko observed and reported, as it was her maiden duty to report such trivial matters known to a god.

?Yes, I?ve estimated that such a great flux of energy will be more than enough to break Yukari?s seal that separates between Makai and Hokkai.?  Shinki replied.  Yes, in Hokkai, that magician sleeps.  It would be her first step to find a new meaning of her existence.  Though that magician has also become a youkai? but she could bridge between a complete youkai like Shinki towards humans.  Especially if it was her, Shinki believed that she was the one who could do it. 

It was her plan to do this since she felt that her meaning of existence was fading away.  Although Shinki herself was an infinite source of magic energy, being able to draw extreme amount was a different story.  In order to overturn the seal that Yukari prepared ? minding that Yukari herself had prepared for a long time as well (she usually conjures them year after year while looking like not doing anything) ? Shinki would need to gather at least 800 years of her energy, contain it all within, and blast the seal open.  Of course, for a seal, there?s always a key, but she could not deduce for what and by whom it must be done.  Especially if it was Yukari?s seal, it was at her own whim, and she probably planned it so that the key to the seal will always change.  In other words, without Yukari willing, the seal was not going to open by any other methods than brute force.

And that?s where Shinki decided to use her existence of Makai and its residents purely for this one purpose.  She had been continuously tapping her own power to expand and build upon the Makai now.  After building up for such a long time, she opened the gates to Makai to the other world, and provoked the easily offendable shrine maiden to come and lay waste to Makai, which was exactly what Shinki had planned for.  It seemed like it was too effective as it brought three other guests who were just as about as destructive.

?Here we are, at a great seal, Lady Shinki.? Yumeko reported to awaken Shinki deeply lost in thought.  For once, this meaningless report was effective.

?Very well.  Yumeko, do you realize your role as the highest class of my creation in what must be done now??

?Yes, Lady Shinki.  Though I will miss serving under you.?  Yumeko obeyed with a strong plea hidden behind her obedience.

?Do not worry.  Once this is over, I?ll be sure to bring you back first.  You?ve been an excellent maid after all.?

With a slight and frail smile, Shinki prepared her next step on gathering the flux of great magical energy onto Yumeko?s body.  With Yumeko?s caliber as a vessel, combined with her own magical essence that makes her, the gate that hid the answer will soon be blown to several pieces, and perhaps to Shinki?s own salvation.

While that was going on, Hakurei Shrine was all peaceful and quiet, now that all the residents of Makai did not bother Reimu anymore.  She could finally relax.

Or she thought.

It was a regular visit by Marisa followed by Mima?s pestering.  And on top of that, for some reason, Yuuka decided to visit the shrine as well.  Actually, never mind.  Reimu knew exactly why she was here.

?If you are going to fight, do it far away from the shrine.?  Reimu requested, as Mima and Yuuka glanced at each other for unfinished rivalry.  It must be in all youkai?s nature to compete for that?s the strongest.  For Reimu who didn?t care about maintaining the status, she didn?t get at all on why Marisa wanted to keep on challenging Reimu after she learned new spells from Mima.

Unfortunately, their fated duel came to another halt as the four felt gradual changes in their surroundings.  The bricked ground and the shrine faded away as minions of hell itself started emerging.

?Ok, who?s fault is this?? Reimu requested.

?Not mine.  I didn?t do anything.? Marisa was quick to answer.

?Perhaps you should go back to Makai after all??  Yuuka?s answer clearly had a bit of frustration in it, as she found herself consistently being halted from facing a match with a worthy opponent.

?The technique seems familiar?? Mima recalled.

?Well, whatever, as usual, just beat the crap out of everything and the boss will appear.?  Reimu said as she rode on Genji, and equipped her Yin-Yang orbs. 

?Miss Reimu, do be careful this time,? Genji spoke, and that was something to heed, as his it was his age, he found to speak only of truly important things, ?the Yin-Yang orbs absorbed great deal of energy from our trip to Makai.?

Reimu knew through her intuition of what this could mean, but it wasn?t her type to be bothered at it too much.

?Well, let?s take care of the small fries first then.?  Reimu led.

?All right, I?ll try out some of my new spells on these guys!?  Marisa followed.

Yuuka, Mima followed as well to resolve this incident that fell upon their shrine.

The small fries proved to be much more challenging than any other foes that they faced on Makai.  With their continuous spawning rate and the rate of which they were targeting the bullets, it proved difficult for the quartet to blitz through the mobs like they used to.

After a whole barrage of exchanging fires and advancing, they finally found the culprit behind this incident.

?Ah, you are finally here!?

In front of them stood Alice, much more vicious than last time, and in her had was a huge book that was written, ?Grimoire of Alice.? 

?It?s been a long time!?  Alice greeted them.

?Have we met her before?? Reimu was the first one to ask.

?Well, she does ring a bell.  Don?t think it was quite a long time though.?  Marisa replied.

?Nope, don?t remember her.  I don?t remember every shrimp that I encounter.?  Mima replied.

?Well, it did take her long enough~!? Yuuka smiled.

?Grr? let?s see how long you can say that until I show you my Ultimate Magic!!?

?Ultimate?? Marisa?s, Mima?s and Yuuka?s eyes suddenly lit up.  Could this be the real deal?  For Reimu, it was just another bother.

?It?s a series of magic so powerful that you can?t do it without reciting it from my book!  I?ll show you!?

And then, the epic battle of Extra Stage of Mystic Square began.

As Yumeko?s body started to glow in unholy essence of dark magical energy of 800 years fusing with her, Shinki?s ultimate goal drew near to perfection. 

On its halfway though, Shinki realized that something has gone horribly wrong. 

A great flux of magic energy, which she readied for this occasion, was being outsourced to somewhere else.

?Yukari?!  Is it her?!?  The first suspicion came to her old enemy, whose mouth she couldn?t distinguish between truth and lie.  Shinki prepared quite a bit of extra magical energy for such a disruption, but at a rate that this was being consumed, it might not be enough.
Then, calmly, Shinki traced the source that was spending this much great of a deal of magical energy.  The energy was being poured to the outside world.  And surprisingly, towards which that portal the energy was being poured into, it had an all too familiar signature Shinki could recognize.

?It?s Alice!  But why?? 

Wasn?t she so close to her goal?  How did this happen?  Why would out of all, not even Yukari, but Alice be the obstacle to her great plan?  It was true that she excluded her from knowing anything about it, but? this was the biggest form of betrayal.

Then Shinki finally realized what was going on, and that this was no betrayal.

With a sigh, she withdrew her arm pointing towards Yumeko to a halt, as she dropped to the floor.  The ritual has stopped.

?Lady Shinki? why?? Yumeko asked, in half confusion and half gladness.

?Yumeko, please take some rest.  I have an unfinished business to take care of.?  Shinki declared as she disappeared.

?This? is a bit too much, I think.?  Marisa was taking some time to catch her breath.

?I?m surprised that she can fight while looking at the book.?  Mima cheerfully noted, clearly enjoying this newfound challenge.

?Hmm, how intriguing...? Yuuka reminisced amusedly, of a mere human being able to wield such a great magic.

?And what?s with this protective barrier?  Nothing is getting through!  This is so frustrating.?  Reimu replied, as her normal shots seem to have no effect on Alice.

?Are you already giving up?!  But I have so much more to show you!?  Alice declared as she turned on her next page.  The initially blank page was soon filled with a spell circle terrifying to look at, as series of homing lasers shot out straight towards the heroines.

?Crap, I hate these things!?  Marisa declared as she boosted herself to maximum speed in order to avoid the laser?s trajectory as others did the same.

?Hahaha, that?s right.  You?ll pay for what you did to me and my mother!  Mere humans don?t stand a chance if we showed our full strength!!?  By now, Alice was a bit enjoying herself too much, a tidbit too much for herself to be engulfed at the pleasure that vengeance brings.  She seems to have lost other focus than fulfilling what she started out with.

?Hmm, to be honest, I don?t like that tone?? Yuuka, changing a sudden glance from her usually smiling and relaxed face, was quickly covered by her parasol.  Then, as she blocked the incoming laser, she folded her parasol as from its tip came a powerful laser that negated the streams of Alice?s laser and proceed to knock Alice out, with her shield protecting her from a killing blow.

?You?? Alice recovered from her shock, reenergizing the shield as she flipped to her next page.

?It seems like you still don?t get it, so I?ll repeat myself just this once,? Yuuka?s expression looked deadly serious, as if it can literally kill someone just with her gaze, ?genocide is just a game to us, be it Makai residents or humans.  If we youkais showed their full strength as you speak, your petty magic used by a mere human can not match us.  Know your place on where you belong.?

?She was a human??  Asked Marisa, fully perplexed, ?that?s quite amazing,? as she commented of the degree of magic.

?Yuuka, you just had to say that, didn?t you?  I?ll exterminate you later for sure.?  Reimu rebuked, clearly not liking the part about the genocide to humans.

?Hmm, she?s pissed off now for sure,? Mima was clearly enjoying herself of potentially greater challenges to come.

?Uhh?? Alice?s anger burned her heart as it converted to her tears, with sorrows swelling from such a taunt, ?I don?t care what you have to say!  Even if I was a human, which I?m not, I?ll definitely defeat you all, even if it means throwing away my humanity!?

As Alice flipped through her next page, a new spell barrage, the one that was full of dispersion bullets spewed out from the center.  As they were dodging, Marisa had this to ask.

?Hey, Yuuka, if you say that you are indeed as strong as you claim to be, why not just stop this fiasco now??

?Well, who knows, I guess I?m hoping for a human to do a human?s job.?

?Heh, then you don?t mind me trying out your spell, right??

Yuuka glanced at Marisa, and then smiled back, ?be my guest.  Though mine is far from what can be called ?magic???

?That settles it.?  With that, Marisa grabbed an object beneath her hat that had a shape of a hexagon with eight trigrams engraved to its side.  It was a mini-hakkero, as Mima smiled on where it must have come from.

?Alice!?  Marisa shouted as Alice was about to flip to the next page for her next deadly spell.

?Personally, I don?t care much about whether you are a demon, a human or even a god.  But I?ll have you know!  That even ?mere? human do stand a chance in overcoming any obstacles!  I?ll show you my annihilation of love!?

?Uhh, I don?t care!?  Said Alice as her grimoire revealed a spell circle, where tornadoes of metal blades flew towards everyone.

?Take this!?  Marisa took a deep breath as she chanted, ?Master Spark!?

Marisa?s laser spell was amplified multifolds through the mini-hakkero which surrounded Alice?s Wonderland with a glaring light.  The light proceeded to annihilate all the metal bullets from Alice?s Grimoire, as the light engulfed the book and Alice entirely.

Then, with a bang, Alice?s Wonderland came to a shatter, and it was over.

When Reimu could see her shrine again, in front of them was Alice lying unconscious, with her grimoire fold open.  Marisa clearly had outdone the job, for a job well done.

?Well, well, that wasn?t too bad.?  Marisa commented with a smile.

?Master Spark?  Aren?t you cocky for naming my skill for yourself,? Yuuka grinned back.

?Hey, you said I can use it, so it?s mine now.?

?Oh well, at least it?s over? wait?? Reimu turned back as she felt that something was going to go horribly wrong.

At their horror, the Grimoire of Alice came to life as if it had its own will.  It flipped its numerous pages in continuous action, producing one page after another through some sort of replication magic, as the book levitated unconscious Alice as well.

?What the hell is happening??  Marisa asked at the book, but clearly knowing that their fight was far from over.

?Perhaps it?s??  Yuuka speculated as her face darkened.

?Marisa!  Stand Back!?  Mima shouted as she called on her pupil?s first name unlike her usual speech manner.

Then, from the Grimoire, beam of dark purple core with a twisting spiral headed towards Marisa in a deadly speed, disintegrating the air that laid on its trajectory.  What then knocked her away was Mima, countering the beam away with her own.

?Mima-sama!?  Marisa cried as she faced towards her teacher, whose grin turned to a synical laughter.

?Come on!  Is this all you can do?  The Great Youkai of all magic?!?

As Mima added her weight, the Grimoire proceeded to do it as well, adding two more direct beams to counter at Mima?s disadvantage.

?Mima-sama!  Don?t lose!? Marisa shouted, but what she saw from Mima?s face was a smile that seemed very nostalgic to Marisa, but she couldn?t exactly figure out why.  But what she did know was that if there was anyone who Marisa could call a mother, it was Mima.

At that instant, the beam engulfed the body of the vengeful ghost, at Marisa?s horror and great dismay.  Marisa then collapsed to her feet.

?This just got serious.  Reimu, you have to seal the Grimoire completely.?  Yuuka ordered Reimu. 

?I know even if you didn?t ask.? Reimu?s face turned towards Marisa, who was noticeably heart broken, but Reimu couldn?t bring up to say what could possibly comfort her, ?I?m sorry.?

With that, Reimu pointed with her eye to Yuuka that she was going to need some help.  With a slight nod, Yuuka split herself into her double image, as a blast from the grimoire proceeded to battle with one of her image.  While they seem to put on the equal footing, the grimoire added its weight on to the next one, but when it proceeded to engulf Yuuka, the other image of Yuuka aimed her blast on the book itself. 

?Reimu!  Seal it immediately after I destroy its shield!?  Yuuka demanded, as her own spark started to crack the shield protecting the grimoire.

All the while this was happening; Reimu could see a noticeable change in Alice, as she seemed to grow from her original small stature.  Though somehow, it seemed like the grimoire was getting stronger as Alice was experiencing her metamorphosis.

The grimoire, on top of its deadly beam, now sprayed its beams omnidirectionally, making Yuuka who was stationary to blast its beam much harder.  Reimu was dodging the beam, and as she looked at Marisa, thankfully, she still seems to have an incentive to move and dodge the bullet.

?Hey, Marisa!  I?m going to regret asking this as a youkai, but help me out with your Master Spark, now!?  Yuuka couldn?t bring herself to say any other words that the urgent direness of the situation.

?Marisa!?  Reimu urged her as well, as she found Marisa unresponsive to Yuuka.

?I heard you already!  What do you take me for?  A kid who sits depressed for 20 episodes?!?  Marisa, despite declaring out, had her eyes filled with tears, as she cried out with her two hands on mini-hakkero, ?this is for Mima-sama.  Final Spark!!!?

The beam of intense light refracted by the sun shined its exterior in a rainbow colour.  The beam aimed straight at the book, utterly destroying its shield combined with Yuuka?s skill.

?Reimu!  Now!? 

As Reimu started throwing her sealing charm, the Grimoire screeched out aloud as to prevent the charm from taking its place.  Its magnificent power slowly burned away the charm, but at a rate that Reimu was throwing at them, the Grimoire?s resistance was too slow for it to handle.

?And this is the finish!?  Reimu declared as she took out of exorcism needle at a close range, ready to finish the sealing the book.

Then, something much unexpected happened.

That instant, the Yin-yang orb started to glow unstably, to everyone?s surprise.  Soon, the yin-yang orb unleashed itself of bright and dark light, and when everyone regained the sight, Alice, her Grimoire, and Reimu was gone.

When Reimu regained her consciousness, she realized that in her hand was a fully sealed Grimoire of Alice, with transformed Alice beside her.  Knowing that, this couldn?t have possibly the work of the Grimoire.  Then Reimu realized that there was something funny going on with the yin-yang orb.

?How intuitive of you, Reimu.? The voice recalled that of Reimu herself, as if she was talking to herself in this entire situation.

?And now, you will guess, this voice and I are probably one and the same.  Which, you are half correct.?

?Why don?t you show yourself, so I can exorcise you also??  Reimu demanded.

?Unfortunately for you, I do not have a form, yet.? The shadow replied.

?You see, yin-yang is a symbol of balance, the two opposites coexisting each other in harmony.  Yet, recently, I?ve received too much of the ?yin?.  So, here I am, ready to make a deal with you.?

?I guess you are talking about the whole Makai incident.  What would be the deal then?  You want me to turn into a youkai as well??

?Ah, how sharp, how sharp.?  The voice replied.  ?Well, that would be the best option.  But obviously, you won?t take that, would you??

?Obviously.  Who has ever heard of a youkai shrine maiden?  Well, except for the ones who fool people and eat them at their shrine.  I?m sorry that I don?t quite like the taste.?

?Then allow me to show you the taste of your true power.?  With that, Reimu was engulfed by an unknown darkness, as Reimu felt that her body was burning ever so hot.

?Well, how?s that?  With that, I think you should be able to fly with no problem.  Do you want more??

?S? stop that?? Reimu resisted.

?I?m not hearing No!?  With that, the shadow engulfed Reimu once again, with it, Reimu felt that there was some change in her body, but could not really make out.

?Can you feel the surge of energy?  It feels good, doesn?t it?!  It could be entirely yours, you know!  If you just say yes!?

?Seize this foolishness?.  A voice distant intervened, with what fearsome energy that couldn?t be described in words, it cleared the area so smoothly without much resistance.  With that said, the yin-yang orb, which was hidden in the shadow, dropped back to its normal form, rolling beside Reimu.

With that, Reimu, Alice, and the mysterious figure who was soon revealed to be Shinki, appeared before Yuuka and Marisa.

?Reimu, were you successful in sealing the book??

?Reimu, are you all right??

Yuuka, and Marisa?s both questions preceded before finding out what situations just had preceded them.

?I? think I?m fine?? Reimu replied.

?Reimu, you look a bit? different,? Marisa inquired, as Reimu found out that was indeed true.  Aside from her usual purple hair now much darker, Reimu?s eye-color also has changed significantly towards dark red.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:54:48 PM by Sedrife »

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
Re: Touhou Kaidanron (東方怪談論) ? Beyond the Mystic Square (Finished)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:32:41 PM »
Then Shinki raised herself up, carrying now older-looking Alice on her arms, the sealed grimoire now placed on her chest.

?The whole incident was my fault to start with.  And as a goddess, I?ll do whatever I have in my power to make this right.  So, please, I have one request, not as a god, but as a mother.?

?What would that be??

?Please don?t hate Alice for all that happened.? Shinki then bowed her head, for the first time lowering herself from her title of god to a youkai and two humans.

?But you know, I?m starting to like this girl already, now that she?s a youkai and all?? Yuuka smiled back to her usual pose.

?I don?t really care as long as she doesn?t make any more trouble.?  Reimu replied, but seeing Marisa silent, she knew that Marisa probably still couldn?t shake away her loss.

?I must say, if you must hate someone for this, please blame me all the responsibility.  But let me do this with my own power for my atonement.?  Shinki said as she picked up the broken crescent from Mima?s staff, gazed her eyes at a momentary surprise, and then threw it at a nearby tree of the shrine.

?What do you think you?re??  Marisa angrily replied, as Shinki continued,

?Even without my help, your beloved vengeful ghost has found a way to reincarnate back to her former power.  Yes, by encasing herself to this crescent piece.  I?ve given her a little boost with my own strength, and made sure that the crescent piece is well secured to the tree, that when she recovered her full strength, she?ll come back to life.  I?m afraid her damage has been great though, and it will take years for her to come back.?

?Ah? I see? So I?ll have to learn magic in some other way then??

?As much as I?d like to offer you some help, but from this day forward, the door to Makai will permanently be sealed.  It will be the best for both of our worlds.?

?That?ll be great.  Though I have a feeling that promise won?t last very long though,? Reimu declared, and it seemed like her intuition grew much sharper as well.

?You have a word from a goddess that as long as I know about it, the Makai residents will be free from any contact with the human world.?

?Well, that settles it.  I?ll go back to my shrine.  It has been a very tiring day.?  Reimu declared as she strolled herself back to the shrine.

?Well, then, I guess I?ll leave too.?  Marisa declared, slightly feeling relieved, with her broomstick towards the forest as usual.

?I guess it?s a happy end then,? Yuuka strolled around, with Shinki interjecting her.

?Don?t you have something that belongs to Alice?  I?d like to have it back please.? 

?Darn, I guess I can?t get away with it.?  Yuuka smiled as she summoned a field of sunflowers, which then released Shanghai and Hourai bound from it.

?If you are going to lock yourself in Makai, I wonder what you are going to do with Alice??  Yuuka jested with that rhetorical question, and took her leave.

?For a tenant of this wonderful paradise, she worries too much.  I guess it is all fine though.?  Shinki talked to herself as she walked away, ready to seal the end of this story.

?Hello, is anybody home?  Wake up please~!? A friendly voice filled Alice?s head as she realized that she?d been unconscious for a long time. 
?Who? who?s? ah!  It?s you again!?  Alice shouted as she gazed at Yuuka standing in front of her.

?Come on, now, no need to be so angry.  I came here to be friends, after all.?

?Why would I want to be a friend with the likes of you?!?  Alice interjected.

?Oh yeah, first, I?m giving you back your dolls.  Don?t worry; they?ve been well taken care of.?  With that, Yuuka presented Shanghai and Hourai, decorated with lovely flowers in their heads.

?Shanghai!  Hourai!  You are all ok!?  Alice, as she looked upon the flower decoration on their heads, couldn?t help but bring herself to a smile.

?You certainly have a strange sense of humour, but I guess that?s because you are a youkai after all.?

?And aren?t you the same.?  Yuuka replied.

And that was when Alice realized her change of her stature, as she looked much older than before.  Not only that, she realized that she?s been talking much more maturely, and all that feelings of petty vengeance seemed like literally a child?s play.

?Did? something happen??  Alice questioned.

?Didn?t I tell you that you were a human, and not just a mere doll?? Yuuka smiled as she approached closer.

?Hey, to be fair, you never mentioned about me being just a mere doll.? Alice felt strange that she couldn?t feel anger in Yuuka?s words any more, as she felt that she somehow understood Yuuka?s motivation behind her twisted speeches.

?I'm sure I said it on one point of time...  Well, I guess I didn?t make my points clear enough.  But it?s the thing of the past.  You are now a fully youkai.?

?I guess I am?? Alice reminded herself of what happened.  From what she could recall, it was probably the effect of the grimoire taking place.  With her immature self risking abandoning her own humanity, she couldn?t help herself breaking into a chuckle.

?What?s so funny?? Yuuka asked, with a bit of serious face.

?Oh, just? How what now seems like it was a trivial matter, but the choice that you made then, making such a huge impact? you know.?

?Well, now I?m telling you that you shouldn?t think like a human anymore.?  Yuuka looked on Alice as she continued, ?the night is your friend.  The humans are your enemy.  You talk about choice and impact, how it changes your future, but for youkais who were born from the fear of humans, you no longer progress.  You no longer change.  You?ll stay like what you are forever in your life until they no longer fear you or sealed away for eternity.  That?s your fate.  Sooner you accept it, the better.?

With that, Yuuka turned away, with her usual parasol covering her green hair.

?Oh, hey, after all that, I still haven?t asked your name.  My name is Alice.? Alice asked.

?You can call me Yuuka.?  Yuuka replied.

?Do you have a last name??  Alice asked again.

?Hmm, Kazami sounds like a good one.?  Yuuka smiled.

?Sounds like a good one?  Did you just make that up??

?See you.?

With that, Alice realized that was another dream, as she woke up, she found herself being carried in Shinki?s arms.

?Yo, Reimu, what?s up?? Marisa was as cheerful ever, yet her attires now looked different.

?Hey, Marisa, what?s with the black and white?? Reimu referred to Marisa?s clothing.

?Well, I?ve been around, having some thoughts here and there.  Then it struck me, that when someone that you love has passed away, you wear something dark.  So I decided to change my wardrobe a little.?

?Huh? Didn?t look like you were the type to care about those kinds of stuff.  Besides, where would you have gotten materials and skills to make one, anyways??

?Oh, there?s this guy I know.  Morichika Rinnosuke.  I call him Kourin because he owns a shop called Kourindou.  He worked on my family?s shop when I was young, and then he moved on.  Met him by chance and he recognized me.  Have been visiting him around ever since.?

?Hmm, if he can knit, I wonder if I should ask him for new clothes.  These clothes got dirty and torn from the last incident.?

?We could go right now if you want.  Just follow my lead.?

?You?ve woken up, Alice.?  Shinki greeted as she laid Alice to a nearby rock.

?I believe these belong to you.?  Shinki said as she handed Shanghai, Hourai, and her Grimoire now tightly locked.

?T? thanks.?  Alice said as she greeted her two favourite dolls.

?Alice, I?m going back to Makai, and you can?t come with me.?

?Huh?  Why, mother??  Alice couldn?t help but addressing Shinki as mother than her usual mama when she was younger.  But that was probably part of her change.

?I will be sealing Makai from this human world for a long time.  It will be too cruel for me to bring you with me, now you know more about yourself than what I wanted.?

?I know? but?? Alice tried her best to keep her composure, ?no matter what happens, you have always been my mother.  I did what I had to do, because I admire you, respect you, and love you.?

?Alice, as a mother, I?m very happy that you think of me like that.  But as a goddess??

With that, Alice felt the slap that stroked her heart deeper than her face.

?You are way too full of yourself daring to call yourself the daughter of a goddess.  You?ve acted on your own volition not considering my own motives of greater plan.  What?s more, you borrowed the power that was too much for you to handle and sealed your own fate.  Do you think a goddess would like a daughter like that??

With that, Shinki opened the door to Makai, the door that Alice probably won?t see for a long time.

?This is a good bye, Alice? Margatroid.?

As Shinki entered to the portal and about to seal herself completely, she could hear Alice?s reply:

?I?ll definitely surpass you!  Just you wait!  The next time we meet, I?ll make sure that you WISHED that you had a daughter like me!?

As Shinki completely sealed off her world to the world where Alice Margatroid lived, Shinki sobbed quietly to herself for this event that was the most painful for her to pull off in her entire life.

Being a mother? who wanted her children to grow, despite what happened to them, was? a very difficult thing.

In the forest of magic, it was Marisa?s daily activity to look around the dangerous corners of the forest full of deadly traps of nature, for hunting of rare and marvellous mushrooms for her experiments, and for her eatery. 

She first was having trouble adapting to the environment, as she caught on unusually occasional fevers, but she got over it eventually.  It seemed like her body developed resistance to the forest?s toxic effect, but that didn?t bother Marisa much.

Truth be told, it would take a human of significant ability to pull that off.

Though that particular day, Marisa saw something very odd.  While she thought that she was the only human who had a residence, she saw that another one was erected without her knowing about it.

That meant trouble.  Marisa?s monopoly of mushrooms had fallen to a danger of reducing to half, or much more.

Marisa decided to have a say about it and meet this new resident to see what kind of business this one wanted to pull off.

You can say that Marisa was pretty surprised to see who was living in a house full of dolls.

?Hi, there, Ms. Goddess of the Makai, too bad things didn?t work as you planned.?  From the gap, came Yakumo Yukari.  Even sealing her world didn?t stop this gap youkai from intruding her realm at her whims.

?You seem to be very happy about it though.  That?s not very polite.?  Shinki pointed out.

?Oh, no, in fact, I?m terrified.  How should I treat the princess of your realm whom you so selfishly placed under my realm??

?If you don?t do anything to her, I?ll be satisfied.  I don?t want to see a spec of your deceitfulness in her.?

?Well, that?s really for them to decide.  Not me.? Yukari replied.

?Them? would mean those two humans she met.  Hakurei Reimu and Kirisame Marisa.  Indeed, that would be the case.

?So your world already has achieved the harmony that you wanted.  The yin that is the youkais, and the yang that is the humans.?  Shinki mentioned, as to hint some other events that might have been related that she witnessed.

?Well, it?s getting there, but still there are way too many human populations in the village who still despise youkais and complaining that the shrine maiden isn?t doing her job properly.  I guess its fine for the time being though.?

?Well, what?s life without a few enemies??  Shinki replied.

?Oh, my, I wonder if this incident led you to become more human than youkai, scary~.?

?Let?s just say I?ve become more suited to your grand scheme of things.  Even youkais have to change and progress from time to time.? 

?Surely, but very slowly.  Give or take a thousand or two thousand years.?

?Before you go, I have some questions to ask.?  Shinki requested, as she knew that Yukari could just leave at anytime she wanted.

?Well, try to make it quick.  I?m pretty busy trying to get this ?Spell Card? rule implemented.?  Yukari said as if she was going to leave right away.

?Oh, what could that be?  Whatever.  It?s probably some very silly rule that turns out to be perfect for your world.  Anyways, were you telling that youkai called Yuuka what to do all the time??  With that, cold gaze from Shinki stared at Yukari.

?Ah?  Hahaha, no way.  She wouldn?t listen to anyone.  Especially me.  She really hates me for some odd apparent reason.?

?Well, seeing how both of you are, I can see that.  Oh well, that wasn?t my major concern anyways.  My major concern was that what you tried to do to that shrine maiden using the yin-yang orb as a cover-up.? 

?Ehh?  Have I been found out?  Good thing that you decided to lock yourself up.?  Yukari replied.

?That was really foolish of you.  Trying to force a shrine maiden to become more youkai-like.  You could have shifted your balance of Gensokyo towards further darkness until the scale tips over, collapsing your world from within.  For a youkai who have built up so much to maintain this balance, I do not understand your motivation unless you felt suicidal.?

?Maybe, or I knew that someone as powerful as me was going to intervene, so I proceeded until I thought it was enough.  That shrine maiden is going to need more power than what she had to resolve the next incidents anyways.?

?More than the goddess of Makai?  I truly doubt that.?  Shinki scoffed.

?Well, unless their intention was not just a diversion.?  Yukari rebounded.
?Too bad, I thought at your scale, it would be something like, attempt second conquest of the Lunarian Capital or tame the dragon god, but I guess that is probably too much to ask of you.?

?Might just do that instead.?

?Seriously, talking about self-fulfillment of multiple aims.  That?s what I hate about you.?

?Thanks, then later.?  With that, Yukari disappeared back to her gap. 

There was one more question she wanted to ask.  What was to be done with the seal between Makai and Hokkai?  Will Yukari do something about it in her scheme in the near future?  For now, it was pointless for Shinki to intervene, so she decided to leave everything to Yukari and hoped for the best of things.

It wasn?t exactly the best bet, but sure one.

Mugenkan.  It?s the mansion where it borderlines the real world and the dream world.  Some postulate that the entrance to Mugenkan is the way to enter Gensokyo from the outside world.  That Gensokyo is merely a dream world where as the outside world is the real one.  To their merit, should the Land where the Lotus blooms is just a merely a dream, then they have separated themselves between the two worlds, and its boundary would be impossible to cross.

Yet, the boundary is so easily crossed to those who dream.  To those who are dreaming, they do not realize that the dream is merely a dream, and only by waking up, do they know that their dream was a dream.  Then, their value of the dream becomes meaningless, dematerialized into nothingness that is accepted in the realm beyond. 

But there are some who, as fearsome as it might sound, know that dream is the dream and that the reality is the reality.  These know that while dreaming, that they are dreaming like how in reality, they know they are in reality.  If one knows that dream is just a dream, one can either decide to quickly wake from it, or enjoy the dream until it lasts.  Though maybe, just maybe, should that dream last forever, can one forget the other side that is reality, and eventually believe that their dream was their reality?  That reality was just a dream?

?My lady, welcome back.  You?ve been away for quite a long time.?  Elly, the gatekeeper of Mugenkan, greeted her master, Kazami Yuuka from her long absence. 

?Has it been that long?  It felt like it was couple of days.?  Yuuka addressed her subordinate, in her usual casual manner.

?It HAS been a couple of days, and that?s what worries me.  Yet, I?m thankful that you haven?t lost your sense of time.?
?Oh, my, what could it be that makes you worry so much about me??  Yuuka questioned behind Elly?s motive of her questions.

?It?s nothing.  Please rest to your heart?s content.? As Elly took her leave to go back to the gatekeeping, Yuuka grimaced at her situation.  Perhaps a change, to which Yuuka thought it would be impossible for a youkai, might happen to her as well.  So youkais do change, but very slowly?  Yuuka amused herself at that possibility.  How long has it been since the gap youkai and her, fought literally a war?s content, for her to share the part of her land that she resided in?  Back then, that was a forceful change, but little affected Yuuka?s identity as a youkai.  But perhaps, that was the starting point of it all.

After a nice shower of fragrant flowers, Yuuka changed to her pyjamas quite nostalgic and went to her bed.  Little did she feel that this was what she should have been doing all along, as her identity as a youkai.

Yuuka?s dream was a dream that was filled with beautiful flowers, where everywhere you go is nothing but flowers, fully blooming without season?s hinderance.  Always, Yuuka would find herself there, and she?ll end up talking with herself.

?My, I wonder what I should do to myself, for letting me die to that awful attack by a mere human so I can attack by myself.?

?Well, if I was stronger, maybe I wouldn?t have been swept away so pathetically like that.?

With that as a greeting talking about her fight with Alice and her Grimoire, the two Yuukas sat down as they enjoyed the flower view.

?Do I remember?  Since when did I come to love flowers so much??

?From what I recall, it was when I dreamt about this flower field.?

?I think I had a power to let flowers grow, wither, die, and let it grow again in that dream.?

?Wouldn?t that be a fancy little trick, I thought.?

?Do I remember when I tricked that gap youkai, into thinking I had a power over winds, then I had a power over ground to swallow her up??

?Yeah, that was a fun time.  Too bad it didn?t work again for her.?

The power to make dream a reality, and reality a dream, was a frightful thing.  Truly that befits a youkai.

?Say, if I enjoy this dream a little more, and live as a flower youkai as long as this dream lasts, do I see any problem with that??

?Well, I might forget to live as myself if it goes too long, but do I really care about that??

?Not when I have something to enjoy, and when I can live as the strongest of all youkais??

?I might have to dream something different to beat that gap youkai though.?

?And where?s the fun in that without all the flowers??

?I guess I?m right.  Flowers are lovely things.?

?So shall I escape the boundary of reality and dream with me together??

?I am me.?

With that, Yuuka woke up, but possibly, that Yuuka was not the same Yuuka that went to bed the last time.  More accurately, that would be just a part of her that makes this youkai Kazami Yuuka. 

Yuuka soon changed herself to her attire that was her favourite since her dream in her flower fields.  She was a flower in Gensokyo that never withered.

With her parasol in check, Yuuka aimed to leave Mugenkan behind towards her favourite spot in Gensokyo, the Garden of the Sun.  Before she could leave though, she found Elly, standing between Yuuka and the door.  She looked like she wasn?t willing to let anyone pass, in or out.

?And what might you be doing??  Yuuka asked politely to her gatekeeper.

?Doing my job, as a gatekeeper.?  Elly plainly replied.

?I do not believe that I ever hired you to lock its master out.?

?But it?s my job to keep you out should it be too dangerous outside.?

?Am I being called a weakling?? Yuuka?s voice was turning from polite to slight frustration.

?No.  As a gatekeeper who serves under someone who has power over dream and reality, I deduced that my master must maintain their balance between these two.  But from I can observe for a long time, your balance has been shifting towards your own dream.  You are being consumed by your own dream, to the state where I?m afraid you are going to lose yourself and forget who you really are.  That?s why??
?So you are calling me a weakling.  You think I will not be a master of my own dream forever.?

?If you ought to hear it like that, then so be it.?

?Very well, I?ll just force my way out, and break that boundary that you are so willing to keep.?

?I will not hesitate, master, for your sake!?

?Oh, do wait just a minute.  I have a good idea.?

Yuuka said as she took out several cards, each of which were decorated and engraved with her favourite spell insignia ? the sunflower magic circle.

?What could those be??

?Apparently, these are called Spell Cards.  The Hakurei shrine maiden made our deadly game into a ?less deadly? game that has a rule.  Given that no Spell Cards are impossible to dodge, it?s up to one?s ability to create the most beautiful and graceful Danmaku for a time limit, and the winner will be decided should the opponent successfully dodge all the bullets in that time limit.  Of course, the loser, how powerful oneself must be, must agree to the winner?s condition.  May it be stopping the incident, to cease fire on the enemy, or being eaten by a youkai.?

?That sounds like a very stupid and dumb rule.?  Elly retorted.

?I know, and that?s why it?s so beautiful and brutal at the same time.  Shall I start??  Declared Yuuka as her beautiful Danmaku filled the empty hall of mansion that sat between the dream and reality. 

-- The End --  (medetashi, medetashi!)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:41:13 PM by Sedrife »

MaxKnight

• Youkai of the River
  • No, not that River
Re: Touhou Kaidanron (東方怪談論) ? Beyond the Mystic Square (Finished)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »
Beautiful.  You did a much better job of connecting the series than I did.  I guess I'm just a little jealous at your writing ability (dammit, Parsee!).

But anyways, it was quite enjoyable...  I was rather surprised at Shinki's motivations.