Author Topic: In the illusionary world there lived...(super-short short stories)  (Read 5013 times)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
This is a collection of really short stories written mostly by one Anon on /jp/, though a couple of other Anons contributed. I figured I'd put them here because they were pretty cute and a bit inspirational, and because I'd rather not keep linking people to /jp/ to view them because I don't want people turned off to these things on the grounds of "eww 4chan". They're worth reading regardless of the medium.

All spoiler tags are set up to (mostly) mimic the original spoiler tags, all text is copy-pasted, and they are presented in the order in which they appeared, save for the very last two, which was left for last for a reason. Essentially, I am trying to preserve these works in their original form as much as possible. The attached images will not be provided given we are not an imageboard, but I think the reader will not find it a difficult exercise to determine who is speaking.

My personal favorite is the Tenshi one, by the way, despite not being the most philosophical of the bunch.

(If you're the Anon that wrote most of these or any of the Anons that contributed one or two more, good show.)

---

In the illusionary world there lived a solitary dollmaker. While she wasn?t entirely devoid of friends she did spend most of her time inside her small house making dolls. And when she wasn?t making dolls she made doll-clothes, doll-shoes, tools for doll-making? When asked if she prefered the company of dolls to that of living beings she said
Spoiler:
These dolls are my precious children.
Spoiler:
My friends are my precious friends.
Spoiler:
I couldn?t possibly answer that question.

In the illusionary world there lived a girl who served in large splendid manor. She had been all over the world serving the master of the household, and finally they had setteled here. When asked if she ever longed to return to her home country she said
Spoiler:
Of course I do.
Spoiler:
But this is land is still young, especially when compared to the four thousand years of Chinese history.
Spoiler:
Despite that it has treated us so well. Wouldn?t it be a pity to not see it grow?

In the illusionary world there lived a girl who tended a huge and most gorgeous garden. She was young and she was not nessesairily talented or experinced. Yet she worked hard long hours every day in the garden. When asked if she worked so hard because she loved gardening she smiled softly and said
Spoiler:
No.

In the illusionary world there lived a beautiful shinigami. She had an imposing figure but she was truly calm and kind-hearted. And despite being a shinigami she was rarely ever working seriously, and when she was she always took her sweet time. When asked if she really thought the line of work suited her she said
Spoiler:
Well, yes.
Spoiler:
I mean, the dead have already gone out of time,
Spoiler:
haven?t they?

In the illusionary world there lived an ancient god. She lived atop the highest mountain in the middle of the land. Everyday she watched over the creatures of the land go about their lives. Once upon a time she had been the proud ruler of grand country. When asked if she had any regrets she said
Spoiler:
Yes, I do.
Spoiler:
But isn?t that fine?
Spoiler:
I have no plans of dissapearing any time soon.

In heaven far above the illusionary world there lived a selfish celestial. Despite bing a celestial she was just an immature little girl. Everyday she threw tantrums that literarily shook the earth below. Everyday she got into fights, everyday she caused trouble for others. When asked if she ever felt any remorse for leading this kind of lifestyle, she said
Spoiler:
nothing,
Spoiler:
because she hadn?t been listening.

In the illusionary world there lived a tiny mouse. Though she was small she was sharp like few, and she served diligently in a Buddhist temple. It was said that given she had a proper descrition of what she was looking for, she could find anything, whatever it might be. Where ever she went she had a proud and content look on her face. When asked if it was her ability that made it so she said
Spoiler:
Ha,
Spoiler:
you truly are an idiot,
Spoiler:
aren?t you?

In the illusionary world there lived a red and white shrine maiden. She spent most of her days as slowly as possible, sitting and silently drinking tea and not moving about unless she absolutely needed to. She never went out of her way to meet with others, but neither did she go out of her way to avoid them. When asked if she shouldn?t try to go out and hunt some youkai she said
Spoiler:
Why should I?
Spoiler:
It?s not like I have to come to them.
Spoiler:
They come here everyday wheter I want it or not.

In the illusionary world there lived a high school student. Nowadays she was usually refered to as a living god. But as the faith in her grew and the shrine where she lived prospehered she became more known as simply a god. When asked if she though that she wasn?t taking out thing in advance she laughed and said
Spoiler:
Are you questioning my divinity?
Spoiler:
As mortal, you apparently don?t know any better.
Spoiler:
The concept of divinity is all about belief.

In the depths of old hell far below the illusionary world there lived a satori. Having closed her third eye she had lost what she had in common with the rest of her kin. How useless! Her elder sister cried and mourned for her loss. But, when asked if she herself felt any loss she said
Spoiler:
Not really.
Spoiler:
I?m still here aren?t I?

In the illusionary world there lived an ice fairy. Although she was the strongest of her kind, she still lost constantly to humans and youkai who were more dangerous still. "Next time, next time, I'll show you!" When asked if she was ever discouraged by her defeats she said
Spoiler:
Who wouldn't be? Even I have pride, you know?
Spoiler:
But one fight is just one fight. I'll definitely beat them the next time.
Spoiler:
Because I'm the strongest, after all.

In the illusionary world there lived a lunar rabbit. She had abandoned her friends at a critical time and selfishly fled her home in fear. She was lucky enough to be taken in by people similar to her, and she lead a good life with her head held high. When asked if she thought that she deserved this second chance at life she said
Spoiler:
No,
Spoiler:
in my heart I still feel very guilty.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
But I cannot waste this chance;
Spoiler:
I met a lucky rabbit.

Between the illusionary world and ???, there lived a capricious woman of questionable origins. Calamity or calm, she appeared and disappeared without reason or logic, weaving a strange web of actions. When asked whether she was strong or weak, sane or crazed, and whether she had won or lost, she said
Spoiler:
If you ask a question with such distinct choices
Spoiler:
Then I can only say your answer is somewhere in between each
Spoiler:
And possibly nowhere at all.

In the illusionary world there lived a hard working buddhist monk. Despite the fact that she was a monk she had experienced many vile things. She had been humiliated and treated horribly. Despite this she was mild like a spring breeze, despite this she was happy to forgive any wrong doing or ill will. When asked how she could uphold such virtue she said
Spoiler:
Tolerance is key.
Spoiler:
Tolerance towards difference,
Spoiler:
tolerance towards hate.
Spoiler:
As is, tolerance towards intolerence.

In the illusionary world there had once lived a great and respected magician. She had made herself a famous and feared name, but alas, all good things must come to an end. She left behind one lucky apprentice. She had once been asked to comment on this student of hers, and at that time, she said
Spoiler:
She?s headstrong,
Spoiler:
but kinda useless.
Spoiler:
My training will do her good.
Spoiler:
Spoiling a talented girl with my genius
Spoiler:
would be like grinding a diamond to dust.

In a mansion near the illusionary world there lived an ailing magician. Anemic and athsmatic, shut-in by choice, she carries out her research in the expansive library accompanied by her familiar. When asked if she ever gets lonely or pines for the outdoors, she said
Spoiler:
These books are friends that I care for
Spoiler:
and sunlight fades the text rather quickly.
Spoiler:
A book that cannot be read is basically unwritten.
Spoiler:
It would not make sense to kill a friend
Spoiler:
would it?

In the illusionary world there lived a girl who watched ceaselessly for intruders. From her vantage point she could see the length and breadth of the land, every act, every petty cruelty and every tender moment, each momentous event and each second of everyday life. When asked what she saw she said
Spoiler:
Stop bugging me
Spoiler:
for stories, Aya.
Spoiler:
I'm on duty at the moment.

In the illusionary world there lived a genius pharmacist. She had come from the moon, and having lived for a several millennia she was unlike any other of her profession. It was said there was no drug she could not make. When asked if this was true she said
Spoiler:
No.
Spoiler:
The only drug I cannot make,
Spoiler:
is the one I have yet to think of.

In the illusionary world there lived a proud god of war. It had not been very long since she first settled in the illusionary world, but she had already made quite the reputation, she had already conquered a fine piece of land. When asked if there was anyone she wanted to credit for her success she said
Spoiler:
I do want to thank my family.
Spoiler:
But the one I really want to thank
Spoiler:
is myself,
Spoiler:
for holding them close.

In the illusionary world there lived a half-human half-youkai who lived amongst piles of junk carefully sifted and sorted and shelved. From all over the land, people stronger than him came and took whatever they pleased from him, giving only pittance in exchange. When asked how he made a profit, he said
Spoiler:
I don't.
Spoiler:
But the artifacts, they must be identified.
Spoiler:
Even a half-youkai will sicken and die if they don't use their power.
Spoiler:
And the artifacts, too, would be sad.

In the illusionary world there lived a girl who was friends with a vampire. She and the vampire didn?t have many interests in common, and their personalities were very different. Yet one could often see them during tea-time, smiling togther. When the girl was asked why she had such an unlikely friend she said
Spoiler:
The vampire promised
Spoiler:
she would give me everything I wished for
Spoiler:
if I promised to became her friend.
Spoiler:
I am just fulfilling my part of the bargain.
Spoiler:
Why not enjoy myself in the meantime?

In the illusionary world there there lived a half beast who loved the humans. She lived and worked in the human village protecting them, teaching them and keeping the records of their history. When asked why she found it so important to record the brief lives of such fragile creatures she said
Spoiler:
All time is precious,
Spoiler:
be it brief
Spoiler:
or eternal.

---

In the real world there lived a girl who claimed to know everything. Though she was quite confident in her claim, such a thing is so absurd, even the oldest and wisest of her world wouldn?t dare to claim it. And thus, no-one believed her, that is, except for one person. When asked what kind of person this was she said
Spoiler:
Oh, she?s just a na?ve girl;
Spoiler:
the kind who would believe
Spoiler:
almost just about anything.

In the real world there lived a girl who dreamt of the illusionary world. She was a dreamer, and she was na?ve; she was the kind who would belive almost just about anything. When asked if she seriously believed that the illusionary world actually existed she looked confused and at first she didn?t say anything. Then she asked
Spoiler:
What?
Spoiler:
What do you mean?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:03:38 AM by Ibaruro Kasen »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Drake

Re: In the illusionary world there lived...(super-short short stories)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:43:06 PM »
brb /jp/ to applaud this person

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 09:09:34 PM »
I remember reading some of those before, but it looks like a lot more of them got added. My favorite has to be
Spoiler:
Kanako's

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 01:04:20 AM »
Wow, these aren't bad little stories at all. I like. :3

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 05:09:18 AM »
I like how the spoiler text forces breaks in the speech, giving a more direct impression of how the character is talking :V

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »
Hello thread, and thank you for almost giving me a heart attack.

I have no idea how appropriate this is at all, especially considering the anonymity at 4chan, but since I never imagined I would see this here at this time I am not sure what to do. But, ah... as a part of the community, I feel responsible.

To put it simply, I am the OP from that thread. All the short stories where written by me, except for a few. To say it specifically it would be; Cirno, Momiji, Yukari, the first Patchouli and Rinnosuke were not written by me. I appreciate the repost, it's quite flattering.

If anyone is interested the original thread still exist on easymodo (thread number 6628540). Even after I left the thread there where a few people who continued to contribute. The thumbnails from the images also remain, if that's of any interest...

I remember reading some of those before, but it looks like a lot more of them got added. My favorite has to be
Spoiler:
Kanako's

That makes me happy, if not a bit relived. I was very unsure whether or not to post that specific one, and I kept going back and forth thinking I was happy with it and then thinking it was no good. If it became someone's favorite it means I probably made the right choice.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:57:26 PM by Snail Ice-cream »

andrewv42

• I heard Malzaherp
  • needs a derp
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 06:15:06 PM »
I'm in agreement; these short stories are quite entertaining. Thanks for doing this; I doubt I could ever bring myself to visit 4chan, and therefore would otherwise have been unlikely to have discovered this.
I eat squirrels.

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:59:31 PM »
hello OP

I am incredibly fond of the style used in these tinyfics

thank you for your contribution

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:23:43 PM »
That makes me happy, if not a bit relived. I was very unsure whether or not to post that specific one, and I kept going back and forth thinking I was happy with it and then thinking it was no good. If it became someone's favorite it means I probably made the right choice.

I've always been a big fan of Kanako, but I'm also aware that my interpretation of her character is different from that of many other board members. Seeing someone else who sees the character of Kanako in a similar way to myself is pretty nice~

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 12:20:50 AM »
Hoh, what a pleasant surprise. That the person who wrote those would indeed be here amongst us ^^

I took the liberty and added your name to the info for this thread in the Fanworks Listing, Snail, since you're not anonymous anymore now. Hope you don't mind.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 07:14:23 AM »
I laughed out loud at
Spoiler:
Tenshi's

Spoiler:
Momiji's
was also pretty awesome.

But as a whole, yeah, this thing was really interesting and well-done.