Author Topic: Iku Quest P?t: A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 64350 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Iku Quest P?t: A Z-Machine Adventure
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:46:04 PM »
>You are Iku Nagae, Gensokyo's premier messenger and dancer, and the sky has fallen!
>You do not know how, or why, but Bhava-Arga has fallen from the sky and now hovers scant yards over the surface of Gensokyo. This has caused numerous problems. On top of this, Tenshi has run off after stealing the Sword of Hisou. This has made her a primary suspect in the eyes of many. including yourself at one point.
>You are an oarfish youkai in service to the Dragon Palace. As a resident of Bhava-Agra, you bear a status similar to that of a Celestial, and are considered a minor functionary in the Celestial Bureaucracy that makes certain the known universe runs as it should, with all the rights privileges, and duties that come with this position. You are in the service of The Dragon, who reigns quietly as the highest god of this realm, and is among the highest beings in the universe. It regards you well, and you think of it as a guardian.
>While your duties and position suggest your place is in Bhava-Agra, you have a tendency to roam to other places. You somewhat blame this on Tenshi Hinanai, whom you have unfortunately been charged with keeping out of significant trouble, and her tendency to visit Gensokyo whenever possible. You are well-know for your love of dance, and excellence in performing it; oftentimes you've been asked to star in performances given at the Dragon Palace. Others have styled you the Dance Empress, particularly those who would try to claim that title for themselves. You are, as far as you know, well regarded by everyone you know and are welcome practically anywhere in Gensokyo, save perhaps for Higan. The only real black spot in your days is periodically having to deal with Tenshi's chicanery.
>You have been tasked by The Dragon in dealing with this incident. You have taken some stock of the damage surrounding the fall. You have found that Bhava-Agra's food supply has been badly affected by these events; you defeated a tsuchinoko on Minoirko's behalf in hopes of alleviating this. You have delivered messages for Patchouli. You have had bad run ins with Marisa and Reimu; and nearly had one with Sanae. You have found Tenshi hiding in the Ancient City, became convinced of her innocence, convinced her to join you, and have had several spats with her. You've done your best to bond with Tenshi, and you think you've made some progress in that regard. You've been hearing a lot about a search for some thing called the Brocken Spectre. You found and rescued Yamame, who was captured by faeries. You've been given a hit list by Yuugi. You've released Aya from prison after a rather confused encounter. You've discovered that the islands of Bhava-Agra do not cast proper shadows; nor does Nitori, who is now practically dead to the world. You've found Kogasa has had her shadow stolen very recently. You have learned of a mysterious poltergeist roaming the Forest of Magic, and are quite certain she is the shadow thief.
>You are currently trying not to get beaten by the apparent shadow thief, but she seems to have gotten a particular advantage when she changed her own shadow to that of a stone, forcing you to retreat..

>If the tree to the left is far enough to be out of the way of the danmaku, shift in that direction
>Scan for a further tree to shift to, as we move
>If it is not, move far enough past it to be safe of the cloud, then return to the tree
>If she moves in on our exposed shadow during movement, send a spread of danmaku to cover the direction of exposure

>"Do you have no remorse at all for what you've done to Nitori and Kogasa? Regardless of whatever it was you think they knew, they were good, decent people, and now they can barely be called alive!"

>You skip back to the next tree, escaping the danmaku, and glance about for another. You spot a nearby one to your right, but it will involve exposing your shadow for a moment. Looking back to the poltergeist, you another wave of shots coming at you during your moment of distraction. It's a bit difficult to read, but you think you can deal with it without moving.
>She is too busy firing to answer you.

>_

Re: Iku Quest P?t: A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 11:10:06 PM »
>If we think we can dodge from our current position, do so
>Continue to gather charge
>How close is the poltergeist now?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:17:32 PM »
>If we think we can dodge from our current position, do so
>Continue to gather charge
>How close is the poltergeist now?

>You hold your position, and easily step around the shots without exposing your shadow. You gather more electricity to yourself.
>She is about 5 yards away, and closing.

>_

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 11:22:33 PM »
>Shift back to the next tree
>Glance for another tree as we start to shift
>Cover access to our shadow with a spread of danmaku as we move

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 11:48:01 PM »
>Shift back to the next tree
>Glance for another tree as we start to shift
>Cover access to our shadow with a spread of danmaku as we move

>You shift back some more, trying to cover your path with some danmaku. The poltergeist moves around it; it seems she wasn't going for your shadow that time.
>You reach the cover of a new tree, unfortunately your scouting efforts didn't turn up anything immediately behind you.
>"How long can you run?" asks the Poltergeist, as she continues the approach.

>_

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 11:52:41 PM »
>"If I'd been intending to run, I would be long gone. I won't let you harm another soul."
>What's the closest cover we can find?
>How close are we to unleashing that blinding bolt?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
>"If I'd been intending to run, I would be long gone. I won't let you harm another soul."
>What's the closest cover we can find?
>How close are we to unleashing that blinding bolt?

>"You don't get it, do you?" she says.
>The closest, you think, might involve having to head back to where you were.
>You think you can do it now, but more more time would give you something more effective.

>_

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 12:22:46 AM »
>"Then perhaps you could tell me what I'm not getting?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 12:26:56 AM »
>"Then perhaps you could tell me what I'm not getting?"

>"Haven't I already said?" she says, conjuring more danmaku. "You know too much as it is!"
>She then sends another wave; this one is not so wide as the other, it will be harder to dodge through. Going around it is an option, but that will certainly open up your shadow a bit.

>_

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 12:39:35 AM »
>Can we ascend up along the tree, moving over the danmaku, while keeping our shadow still on the tree?
>If so, do so. Mind our head among the branches
>If not, not shift aside, laying down a little covering fire if she continues her approach
>"Many others already know all that I do. Can you track them all down? This doesn't end if you stop me."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 12:52:36 AM »
>Can we ascend up along the tree, moving over the danmaku, while keeping our shadow still on the tree?
>If so, do so. Mind our head among the branches
>If not, not shift aside, laying down a little covering fire if she continues her approach
>"Many others already know all that I do. Can you track them all down? This doesn't end if you stop me."

>You can still fly, and do so, evading the wave easily.
>She doesn't answer, instead glaring at you from the ground.

>_

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 12:55:37 AM »
> How much electricity do we have charged up now?

Just a thought and I know it would be really risky, but if she can interact with our shadow what if we could utilize our shadow to interact with her?

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 01:01:27 AM »
>Remain in the air. Be ready to shift up again, if another volley comes in, provided this would not expose our shadow.
>"People know where I am right now. And if I don't return soon, they will come in force. The more people you do this to, the more attention you will attract. There are people far stronger than I, and they will not rest until this is ended, unless you end it first. You still can."

Just a thought and I know it would be really risky, but if she can interact with our shadow what if we could utilize our shadow to interact with her?

The thing is, we still don't know the extent of what she can do. We've seen how Nitori and Kogasa ended up, but don't know how quick a process that is, or whether other things are involved. As long as there's even a chance she can do this with minimal contact, I don't want to let her get anywhere near it.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 01:06:11 AM »
> How much electricity do we have charged up now?

>You have a bit more now; you think you could get a decent one going. But more would certainly make it better.

>Remain in the air. Be ready to shift up again, if another volley comes in, provided this would not expose our shadow.
>"People know where I am right now. And if I don't return soon, they will come in force. The more people you do this to, the more attention you will attract. There are people far stronger than I, and they will not rest until this is ended, unless you end it first. You still can."

>You remain in the air, but you don't really have room to make a good dodge upward, unless you wish to get tangled in the branches.
>"It will end," says the poltergeist, as she takes aim at you with her outstretched hands.

>_
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:10:59 AM by It's Purvis! »

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 01:13:59 AM »
>Hold position until we see her fire (or do something else, for that matter)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 01:24:55 AM »
>Hold position until we see her fire (or do something else, for that matter)

>You hold position, and she opens fire after a moment. She sends another cloud in your direction; aimed fairly low so as to fill the space under you. This may be troublesome, going upward will get you into the branches, going outward will expose your shadow, and she is fairly close now. Down would put you into the thick of it. You aren't sure if you can dodge through this cloud, either.

>_

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 01:33:27 AM »
...Wait, I think I have an idea.

Since the poltergeist can apparently absorb shadows from people and things, I wonder if she can absorb other things with the shadows. Like, say, electricity.

So, perhaps if we declared Ancanthodii of the Thunder Clouds, the poltergeist would be shocked if she tried to steal our shadow while it was active. ...Though there's the possibility that it still won't protect our shadow from being taken in the first place, and also the fact that we may not even have a shadow because of the light from the electricity. Hmm...

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 01:42:53 AM »
...Wait, I think I have an idea.

Since the poltergeist can apparently absorb shadows from people and things, I wonder if she can absorb other things with the shadows. Like, say, electricity.

So, perhaps if we declared Ancanthodii of the Thunder Clouds, the poltergeist would be shocked if she tried to steal our shadow while it was active. ...Though there's the possibility that it still won't protect our shadow from being taken in the first place, and also the fact that we may not even have a shadow because of the light from the electricity. Hmm...

An interesting thought...  although she's proven to be nearly immune to lightning at the moment, given that she's taken several direct attacks from it without flinching. And, as you say, even if it did injure her, we're risking a lot of ourselves to try it.

Not having a shadow would actually be a good thing now, though (in the sense of it being illuminated by a light source, and not actually stolen), and this is, I think, the more interesting application. I'd considered similar things earlier (although this card may be better suited to that then some of those). However, my concern was that the flickering light might instead scatter our shadow about in a way that makes it much more difficult for us to cover. Whether the poltergeist can act upon it at that point, I don't know.

>If we were a little careful, do we think we could work ourselves up into the branches?
>The way is open behind us, correct? At the speed she's been approaching, does it seem that we could keep her from closing much if we dashed backwards while we shift outward from the tree?
>At our current height, where across the ground would this spread our shadow, if we did so?

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 01:58:34 AM »
That actually makes me wonder what would happen to her if she lost her shadow, even if only temporarily. Like from, say, the Solar Flare we're building up, or flash photography.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 08:10:45 AM »
>If we were a little careful, do we think we could work ourselves up into the branches?
>The way is open behind us, correct? At the speed she's been approaching, does it seem that we could keep her from closing much if we dashed backwards while we shift outward from the tree?
>At our current height, where across the ground would this spread our shadow, if we did so?

>This may be possible, they aren't that dense.
>The way behind you is open. You could keep your shadow away from the poltergeist if you flew back quickly enough. However, flying backward in a forest will have its own problems.
>It would hit the ground a couple yards to your left.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 08:17:38 AM »
I'd be up for turning tail and running to create some distance. Jogging to get around and apparent inability to fly? Sounds good to me.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 08:22:52 AM »
Yeah, I've been wondering if she can't fly, either. Or, at least, can't fly while manifesting the rock shadow.
My only concern with turning around is whether there's something nasty and new she would be able to do if we're not keeping an eye on her to see her start it. We still don't have anything near a full grasp of her capabilities.

One other option, I suppose, is fly up above the canopy entirely. I'd not wanted to do that earlier, for fear that we'd simply lose her. But she seems fairly insistent on silencing us. It would be all the more interesting at this moment if that would force her to drop the rock shadow to pursue, making her shockable again.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 08:33:02 AM »
I debated flying up above the canopy as well, but a tiny part of me worries that since she was apparently able to drop Bhava-Agra, she might be able to reach us from the ground as well. I bet coupling an upward escape with some taunting would make her more likely to drop the rock form and pursue us out of anger, though, and it's probably a nothing worry anyway. (I do also somewhat worry about her shadowforming into Bhava-Agra but that's another issue entirely.)

I'm also not too concerned with turning our head to look where we're going for, say, a three-second dash. It's true we don't know what she can do, but she at least seems limited by needing to touch our shadow to do unpleasant things to us - I imagine she would have played such a trump card already given how simple she is.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 08:41:13 AM »
She might be able to reach us from the ground, true. But she'd probably still have to touch where our shadow was falling, and  being that high up would make our shadow fall quite some distance away from us, wouldn't it? Enough that it would take her a fair bit of time to get there; more than enough to land again, if she didn't seem to be following us up.

I'm honestly not sure which of these two alternatives I prefer. Flying upwards has the better best-case (ie: our shadow is safely away from us if we fight in the air, plus she loses shock resistance), but a potentially worse average-case (she may not follow us, she may do something nasty from where she is, we may lose track of her, she may wait us out, making re-entry a more painful prospect)

Actually, maybe that's the reason she's not flying? Because she can't do anything to a shadow unless she's on the ground, where it is?

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 09:43:02 AM »
>Scan a navigable way up through the branches, and ascend
>Glance back down, when we have a moment where we aren't about to bump into a branch. Does she seem to be following?
>If so, keep going until we break through the canopy

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 09:53:37 AM »
>Scan a navigable way up through the branches, and ascend
>Glance back down, when we have a moment where we aren't about to bump into a branch. Does she seem to be following?
>If so, keep going until we break through the canopy

>You scan for a navigable way through the branches, and ascend! That moment of hesitation allows the cloud to catch up to you, and a bullet smacks into your hip. It hits with enough force that you gasp, atypical of most danmaku you've been hit with. Then you leave the cloud behind.
>You fly up through the tree, maneuvering through the thicker branches easily since you took a moment to plot your way through. Then one of them seems to move of its own accord and smack you. Thankfully it doesn't hurt as much as that bullet, nor does it entangle you, but it is a little disconcerting.

>_

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 09:56:51 AM »
>How far up the tree are we?
>Glance back at the poltergeist. What does she seem to be doing?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 10:04:58 AM »
>How far up the tree are we?
>Glance back at the poltergeist. What does she seem to be doing?

>You're most of the way through it.
>Looking down, you see the poltergeist seems to have crouched, and is messing with the shadow of the tree with a free hand.

>_

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 10:08:05 AM »
>Launch a spray of basic danmaku at her position
>Continue ascent, mindful of potentially moving branches

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »
>Launch a spray of basic danmaku at her position
>Continue ascent, mindful of potentially moving branches

>You fire some basic danmaku at her, forcing her to throw herself aside, and continue up through the tree without any difficultly.

>_