Author Topic: Kirin's Haiku Drabbles  (Read 12464 times)

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
  • I, the Fallen Angel, will knock you all down!
Kirin's Haiku Drabbles
« on: September 23, 2010, 04:41:54 AM »

"Alone she laments,
How false eternity seems,
When left all alone."

With a flourish, Kaguya Houraisan finished off the last character and placed her writing brush back on its stand, grinning to herself as she studied the last of a hundred haiku she had written. Elegantly written in a graceful hand, the product of years of noble coaching back when she was the Princess of the Moon was still present in exile. Her grin faded as she thought back to her grand lifestyle, but she found to her surprise that she did not desire it anymore. Not anymore. With a slight shrug, she blew softly on the paper to dry it and laid it on the small pile of finished haiku to the side. Then, groaning slightly from not having moved in over a day, she stood up, with plans to go find Eirin and get some food.

"Fire burns harshly,
Vengefully, eternally,
But also softly."

Kamishirasawa Keine blew over her piece of paper, drying the ink as she settled it onto her desk. Breaktime was almost over, and the kids of the village would seen be coming back to continue their studies. She glanced at the lunar calender on the wall her desk was slid up against, noting that the full moon would arrive in three nights. Musing a bit, she decided to take a holiday that night, so she could take her usual walks with Mokou. A little smile turned up the corners of her mouth as she thought of the fiery immortal, and it was with a satisfied smile that she greeted the children filing in as the bell for the hour past noon sounded.

"Chicken? Beef? Pork? Myon?
My my, so much food tonight,
Will that be enough?"

The fifth attempt was the successful one. Drool from Yuyuko's mouth had already rendered the first four copies illegible, and Youmu had the honor of saving this last one. The half ghost girl sighed as she looked down at the blissfully happy face of her mistress as the smells of that night's dinner wafted in on the night breeze. It was enough to feed a large family, but that would last the two of them all of a night. Just another day in the Saigyouji residence.

"Master is cruel,
Whips and candles and tight ropes,
Kind of used to it..."

*Note found hidden in an Inaba's diary*

"Money is so nice,
I wish I had so much more,
Then I won't be sad."

*On a note crumpled up and thrown into the empty donation box of the Hakurei Shrine*

If you guys have any requests for a character, go ahead and ask. xD I'm just bored is all.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:49:08 AM by Kirin »

Matsuri

Re: Haiku Drabbles
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 04:50:46 AM »
ah, I do like this
haiku poems are quite fun
so please continue

:P

How about Satori, Shikieiki, Alice, or Ellen? :3

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 05:40:46 AM »
"Mind-reading's freaky,
So they say to all who hear,
At least my pets don't."

Komeji Satori breathed a sigh of release. It felt good to get the weight off her chest, especially since there was a lot of emotional and mental baggage. It's not her fault she was a Satori. Her sister may have gone the other way and tried to deny her species, but she loved her all the same, and SHE wasn't going to deny that heritage. As though feeling her thoughts, the twin-tailed cat wound its way around her legs, purring contentedly as the hell raven preened her purple hair. Her eye picked up the thoughts of comfort and love coming from her pets, and she wiped a small tear away from her eyes as she smiled softly.

"Black! White! So I judge,
As the Yamaxanadu,
All who die pass through."

With a smug smile on her lips, the Judge of the Dead folded her arms and crossed her legs. That was dramatic enough, wasn't it? She'd won the gamble with Yukari. Who said a haiku couldn't ooze power and majesty? BLACK! A small feeling of guilt crossed her mind; she was supposed to judge the dead, not take petty gambles. Of course, this was worth it, her mind argued. The victory will make Yukari manipulate the Boundary of Laziness and Willingness in Komachi, making her subordinate just a bit more hardworking. Or so she hoped. If that was the case, then when the time came to judge Yukari, maybe she would be a bit more lenient. Maybe.

"Kirai, loving,
Miss you a lot forever,
STOP QUOTING THAT SONG."

The dollmaker grit her teeth as her quill nearly tore through the paper again. It infuriated her how everyone had started quoting that damn song ever since Patchouli and Kaguya had found a video of it while 'surfing the internet', as they called it. Whatever that was. Besides, it was hard to imagine Kaguya surfing, let alone Patchouli. Sanae had told her how some people in the outside world liked to write their worries, angers and fears down onto paper, then tear it up or burn it in an attempt to expel it from their lives. She wished she could do that with this 'internet' thing.

"Where I am this time?
Feels like I've been forgotten.
ZUN! You drunk meanie!"

*Found under an apron similar to Marisa's that's being guarded by a cat*

Does this satisfy?
Ellen is one I don't know.
Lucky there's Wikia!

xDDDD

Matsuri

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 05:48:54 AM »
Awww, the Satori one was so sweet. <3

* Shikieiki Matsyxanadu smiles.

Keep it up. These are fun to read. :3

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 04:35:36 PM »
I am quite impressed.
These haikus all flow smoothly.
Please, do continue.
wait matsy beat me to that joke gdit

Also we need a haiku about KAPPA SCIENCE.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »
Kogasaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Either of the Shanghai/Hourai Dolls

Heida no Akyu

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
Haikus' very structure
Causes my brain to rupture
My math skills are weak
And so is my haiku technique
I'm sorry I'm so uncultured

:(

It's still really cool to read these, though. Can I request Yumemi, Hatate, and Sanae?

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 04:47:49 PM »
I greatly enjoy this thread

/r/ing Parsee, Youmu, and Wriggle.

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »
KAPPA SCIENCE PREVAILS
Does the tiger wish for more?
Then more he shall have!

"Tinkering alone,
Bolts and nuts, screws and oils, my!
It's Kappa Heaven!"

Kawashiro Nitori blinked. She couldn't believe what she'd just written. After all, she was a mechanic, not a writer, and certainly not a poet. A slow grin came over her face as she reread the haiku. She could almost smell the oil and grease, feel the smooth cool metal of a spanner in her hand as she tightened the last bolt on her latest arm prototype, or the green wood of her pencil as she sketched out her latest masterpiece. In fact, it was while sketching the complicated details of an optic camo arm that had caused her mind and pencil to wander. Newly inspired by the sudden discovery of a hidden talent, she put the pencil down, drew a cucumber out of her pack with her left hand and a magnet off the bench with her right, then munched down on the vegetable as she coaxed a small screw, too small for screwdrivers, into place with the magnet.

Wow. While writing up Shou's request three more came in. I'm about to fall asleep on my feet (That and the haikus burned my brain), so I'll get to you guys tomorrow.

Yawning winsomely,
To bed the angel flies now,
Ere he sleeps upright.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 04:54:54 PM »
Hooh, those are really good. Especially with the little stories to accompany them~

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 05:17:10 PM »
The stories that accompany the haiku are what really get me. I've never seen a story quite like this before, to be honest, so it's novel stuff for me and I'd like to see what OP will do in the future.

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »
"Walking all alone,
When all of a sudden, BOO!
Did I surprise you?"

There! That was a foolproof plan. Tatara Kogasa nodded firmly. Not too complicated, and perfectly executable. She couldn't have explained it, but she understood that being both on foot and alone made for a particularly vulnerable target, and that the element of surprise and shock would serve to feed her for at least a month. Giggling almost silently to herself, she hid behind a rock by the side of her chosen stakeout, not noticing that the 'quarry' was a certain ill tempered flower youkai...

"Alice, please don't cry.
I may not have my own will,
But I still love you."

A tiny sob escaped Alice's throat as she gazed at the note written in a firm, precise hand, one she didn't recognise. Beside it lay the immobile form of her favorite doll, Shanghai, the thin, almost invisible thread that usually connected her to Alice and which Alice used to control her missing as it had been for the past week. Alice had torn the house apart looking for her, a vertiable army of other dolls from Japan to America combing the place from seam to seam. Even Marisa had come to help, knowing how much Alice treasured the little figure. They found her lying outside the house, just out of sight of the trail, broken and torn. Beside her lay the bloody, ripped carcass of a large snake, still glowing with remnants of power from the magic mushroom it had eaten, with Shanghai's cleaver stuck firmly just behind its eye and a strip of Alice's dress in its teeth. The little doll had, seemingly by sheer force of will, come to life and defended her mistress in her sleep, then lost that will on the defeat of her foe. Cuddling the still figure to her heart, the dollmaker smiled through her tears as she tried to fulfill her doll's wish.

"I don't hang myself!
It's just a design problem!
Grr... Darn that Alice!"

A newly restructured Shanghai bonked Hourai lightly over the head with the back of her cleaver as Alice tried to react a scenario such as this. Her greatest dream was to achieve the ability to bestow sentience, but her greatest fear was that those she bestowed it upon would resent her, either for doing so or for events in their past. She wasn't sure herself what made her design Hourai as a suicidal doll who hanged herself on a regular basis. Sticking it into a compartment in her well organized mind, she promised the doll that she would remedy the situation. Someday.

"I record the past.
Even through death and rebirth,
I record the past."

It was melancholic and repetitive, which was exactly how Hieda no Akyuu felt that day. She was nearing the end of her ninth reincarnation, she knew that. Again she would die, and again she would be reborn, with all of her memories intact, to continue her duty as caretaker of Gensoukyou's past. Sighing, she looked into the mirror on her low desk and saw a young girl of ten looking back at her. Her tenth reincarnation would end her life at an even younger age, as each reincarnation reduced her maximum lifespan. As she tried to accept her fate with a zen-like calm, she was distracted by a cheerful greeting. Keine, holding a stack of papers and with a wrapped bundle in her hands walked up to her, placing the stack on one end of the bench and the bundle before her. Curious, she looked up at the were-hakutaku, who winked, grinned, and opened the bundle, revealing stacks of homemade eggrolls. With a motherly smile, the teacher deftly picked up one of the rolls with a pair of chopsticks and offered it to the surprised Akyu. With that one gesture, the calm that she had been trying so hard to supress broke, and with tears welling up in her eyes, she smiled and open her mouth, accepting the gift.

"It's magic I say!
Divine power or magic,
It's all the same, right?"

After yet another argument with that stubborn shrine maiden, Okazaki Yumemi sat down in a huff inside the small cabin of her ship. Burying her head in her arms, she unleashed a blistering storm of what she called 'curses', although any other listener would simply hear a confusing and headache inducing cascade of increasingly obscure theorems and terminology. After all, it would never do for a professor from her University to be seen cursing like a common sailor. After a particularly satisfying and similarly jumbled 'Schrodinger's Butterfly Theorem!', she finally sat up, grabbing a piece of paper and beginning to write down exactly what came into her mind, not noticing the pattern of five syllables followed by seven it took.

"Aya, you dumb crow!
My paper is better, right?
That's right, it's the best!"

Himekaidou Hatate placed her pen down carefully beside the paper, then made minute adjustments to its position so it was perfectly placed before her. Satisfied it was in the right spot, she placed one hand over her mouth and gave way to a laughing fit. As the laughing fit died out, she shook her head in wonderment. How did she do it? It was irritating, but the other crow always seemed to be in the right place at the right time, while she was always stuck there using her Spirit Phone. Suddenly, a bright idea came into her mind, a devilish one that made her giggle. She would follow her! Then everyone would see that the Kakashi was the better paper of the two. It was so simple~!

"The whirring of gears...
Beams through the air! Cutting all!
That which is MECHA!"

That... MIGHT not be what Kanako had in mind, Kochiya Sanae thought. She had been asked to write a haiku for the upcoming festival on her interests, and her mind had leapt away before she could get it under control. She remembered the 'small' collection of models she had stowed away under her bed, a 'mere' two hundred of them ranging from Gu**am to Eva***lion, and resolved to risk her patron deity's wrath. After all, it WAS her interest.

"Urayamashii...
You had the time to write it...
A letter for me?"

It took a few days before the bridge princess could finish the haiku. Mainly because Mizuhashi Parsee didn't have the skill for it, but desperately wanted something to show that she DID appreciate said letter (From a certain single horned oni). In the end, it turned out to be fairly simple, especially since the letter itself didn't contain much that could be replied to. It was mostly just a big 'How you goin'?' followed by descriptions of the various sake that had been mysteriously vanishing from nearby settlements. Parsee had choked a little at that. She wished she could've gone with her, and was jealous of her fellow oni partner. Still, it was with a light heart and a smile that she folded her reponse up, slid it into an envelope (The letter addressed to her had come without one), and set off to post it via tengu post.

I know that the first sentence is technically SIX syllables rather than FIVE, but let's roll with it, 'kay? I COULD have used 'I am so jealous', but it don't flow as well.

"Yuyuko-sama,
It's not nice to eat dessert,
Before the main course."

Not for the first time Konpaku Youmu lamented the frivolity of her mistress. After getting caught up in what seemed to be an endemic of haiku writing in Gensoukyou, she had ordered her to present all conversation in haiku. It had taken her hours to master the pattern that all haiku used as well as the ability to spontaneously work what would normally be a single sentence into one, but once she had that down it turned out to be fairly easy, and, if she was to be honest, quite fun in its own way. After all, her mistress Saigyouji could be very charming if she wanted to, and this includes when she had her own way.

"I am not a boy!
Just because I wear some pants,
Don't mean other things!"

Wriggle Nightbug seriously debated making a few hundred copies of the haiku SHE had just wrote and using her insects to distribute it to everyone, no exceptions. It was irritating enough when they did it by accident (It's not like she WANTED to lack upper endowments), but when it got to the point they were calling her a boy with full knowledge of her gender, it made for tempers running high. She was the Queen of the Insects! She could make their lives a nightmare if she wanted to! A part of her suggested that she just switched her wardrobe around, but she stubbornly ignored it. Instead, she looked around to see if anyone was watching, then gingerly massaged her chest, hoping.

Occasional asks,
For characters that've been done,
Are always welcome.

Except I just hope,
To get under my thin belt,
Haiku for others.

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 07:30:02 PM »
oh man I love you and this thread

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 07:33:57 PM »
hmmmm, i request some
Flandre Scarlet! by the way,
i liked your haiku!

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 01:30:08 AM »
"Red... so sweet... hee hee!
Won't you come play with Flandre?
Hope you don't break now~"

Remilia Scarlet gave an involuntary shudder as she read the latest of Flandre's writings, written in blood on what looked like skin from some human or youkai or other. She loved her sister dearly, and she knew Flandre felt the same for her; either would bring the world down for the other. The only problem was that while Remilia technically couldn't, Flandre literally could. It was a dangerous prospect. Add to that monstrous power Flandre's mental instability, and a recipe for disaster was born. The vampire let her head loll back in her chair, melancholy eyes staring at the scarlet moon without seeing it. The blame was hers, naturally. She was the elder, and responsibility for training, Flandre, for guiding and coaching her fell to her. But in fear of that chaotic ability, she had despaired and imprisoned her own sister, telling herself and Flandre it was for her own good. The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon was truly young then, without the wisdom and maturity of age. That had come in time, but by then it was too late. I'm sorry, she whispered. I'm so sorry, Flandre, my sister.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 01:48:43 AM »
I loved the Alice haikus. So has she become so skilled that she can control her dolls unconsciously? I know that probably wasn't the way that Shanghai story was intended, but it would still be pretty cool.

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 02:20:00 AM »
Well, you could put it that way if you want. My actual take for the Shanghai story is quite literal; a combination of ambient magic in the Forest of Magic, the magic mushrooms the snake ate (Which passed on to Shanghai) and magic in general (Or Yukari. Or Eirin's drugs. Or a Moriya Shrine conspiracy... or are templates like that forbidden? I never know) caused Shanghai to become a fully sentient living creature, although still made of wood and cloth. I've got my own theory on how Shanghai and all other dolls could be made to be sentient in a way, but that doesn't belong here. xD It also involves aethism.

So, any more requests? I don't mind if you request one for a character that's already been done; it'd be fun to experiment with alternate views every now and again. For example, I'll whip up another Yuyuko one here, this time on her Badass persona:

"Butterflies fly free,
Staining a blue sky purple,
The Mistress of Death."

This was not the whimsical, slightly ditzy Yuyuko who had a bottomless pit for a stomach. This was not the cute ghost girl with the dazzling smile. This was not the beautiful lady of the White Jade Tower, bound forever into eternal death yet without tears to stain her face. This was the Mistress of Death in all her power, the eternal Mistress of Hakugyoukurou, and Death itself obeyed her. To take from life that which she so deemed, and to reduce to nothing those who do not deserve it. So shall spring be taken, and the cherry blossoms dance with the butterflies of death and rebirth. Last Word: Resurrection Butterfly.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 02:30:31 AM »
I love what you've been doing so far.

I request the underground crew of Rin, Utsuho, Satori, and Koishi. Especially that last one. Please and thank you~

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 02:58:24 AM »
"Wheeling corpses now,
Looking all around for more,
To fill up my cart."

It was a boring day. Maybe it was the recent influx of immortals, or because the danmaku rules were finally coming into play, but corpses were scarce at the moment in the upper lands. Kaenbyou Rin scratched absently behind first her human ears, then her cat ears. Her twin tails flapped restlessly as she made her rounds, her keen eyes and feline sense missing nothing as they roved the landscape. Unfortunately, not even the most alert nekomata could see a single corpse around the place. She sighed, wishing wistfully she could be back in Chireiden, in her cat form, winding her way around her mistress' legs. It always comforted both her and her master.

"Hey, God came, God came!
She gave me this power, see?
Boom! Boom! Boom! Aha!"

The hell raven sat chewing her pencil, glancing up every now and again to see Satori with her back turned. Not daring to slack off however, knowing her mistress' ability, she hurriedly turned her attention back to the paper, wrinkling her brow as she shifted uncomfortably. She didn't want to inconvenience Satori by spreading her wings even within the vast interior of the Palace of the Earth Spirits, and her wing muscles were starting to ache. The mistress of the palace smiled secretly to herself, finally relenting. She turned to look at Reiuji Utusho, who she knew was watching her out of the corner of her eye, and nodded. Her face exploding into a massive smile, the tender of the Former Hell of Blazing Fires leaped to engulf the satori in a hug, then sped out of the Palace, leaving a trail of ink in her wake.

"I wonder, sister.
If I had sealed my power,
Would I now have them?"

Shaking her head at her pet's exuberant exit, the mistress of the Palace of the Earth Spirits glanced down at her own haiku, thinking about her sister. The years alone had been hard; Koishi had loved wandering even when they were young, and she was frequently left alone, although she always returned. She wondered fondly if it was because she was older; her younger sister had always been more impulsive, more reckless, less likely to think her way through things. She rolled her finger along her lips as she wondered if she hadn't been the same; maybe constantly pointing out other's thoughts wasn't the best way to make friends. Still, without that ability, she wouldn't have her friends, her pets, the ones that wiped the tears from her eyes and gave her a reason to smile. She wouldn't trade it, not for the world.

"I wonder, big sis.
If you had sealed your power,
Would you be with me?"

Komeiji Koishi rubbed her finger over her lips thoughtfully, thinking about her sister as she laid her pencil down. It had been a long time since the siblings had been together, and Christmas was coming up. She ought to think about heading home now. She liked her older sister's pets, but she didn't approve of a life with only them for Satori. It was bad enough that no one liked her because of her mind reading ability, it would be too much if she were to abandon her now. She sat up determinedly; she would never abandon Satori. Not for the world.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 06:31:38 AM »
I love how Koishi and Satori's haiku are variations of each other's. Now I see what you meant when you said that writing a haiku for a character who already got one helps you explore the other facets of their personality.

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 07:25:49 AM »
can be about Rinnosuke (my faborite) Youki (because haiku and samurai go together) and Sariel (occidental mitical creature-hax-spirit-warrior trying japanese poems XD) please??  (if ad some yaoi thing would be epic awesome at least for me)  :blush:

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

Matsuri

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 07:34:48 AM »
Aaaaaah I love how you're doing this, especially with the Komeiji sisters.

Okay, how about Byakuren or Youmu or Komachi? :3

Coin Spire

• Eerily Disguised Shanghai Doll
  • Tea time is the best
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 08:07:23 AM »
Can I request one about Kana Anaberal and the Moriya Shrine trio?

This is great read. :3

Themes:Aiki/Shiku

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 03:25:45 PM »
I'm awfully sorry VIVItheHeiwa, but the thought of yaoi turns me off. ^^" Hope you don't mind.

Also, you may notice with the notable exception of Yumemi, all PC-98 characters don't have a small story attached to them. This is what I'll do with characters I have little to no information on to 'get into character', so to speak. Hope you guys don't mind... too much. And now, here we go! Categorized by requester.

can be about Rinnosuke (my faborite) Youki (because haiku and samurai go together) and Sariel (occidental mitical creature-hax-spirit-warrior trying japanese poems XD) please??  (if ad some yaoi thing would be epic awesome at least for me)  :blush:

"Not buying? How sad.
If this keeps up... my poor shop...
Overflowing goods."

As soon as his pen finished off the last period, the jingling of the bell above his store alerted Morichika Rinnosuke to a potential customer in his store. Maybe... just MAYBE this time he'll actually be able to sell something. It's not that he was worried about losing money; Yukari usually imported his goods free of charge since it gave her something to do and a reason to cause mischief outside the border. No, it was the loss of interesting business, to chance to test his intellectual merchant's sense against the wary customer. A game of two hunters after the same prey: Profit. He might not have the same incredible offensive power as the girls, but his mind was every bit as sharp, but he had few chances to utilize it. After all, he had survived so long in a world filled with youkai, hadn't he? Maybe, just MAYBE. This time. He got up from his chair, his haiku and the pen that wrote it already forgotten.

"Soul of the body,
Steel of the mind, be as one.
That is a swordsman."

*An inscription on a board that now hangs in Konpaku Youmu's room. Signed: Konpaku Youki*

"Wing of black, rise up.
Wing of white, be free once more.
I am Sariel."

*Etched into the battleground in Makai where an invader from the world known only as Gensoukyou fought against the angel Sariel*

Aaaaaah I love how you're doing this, especially with the Komeiji sisters.

Okay, how about Byakuren or Youmu or Komachi? :3

"Sealed deep underground,
I return to more fighting.
Can't we all just smile?"

A single tear fell onto the paper just out of reach of the ink that formed the words. Hijiri Byakuren didn't seem to notice the wetness, her eyes seeing what was not there as memories played themselves again before her. Why? Why all the fighting? It was true that her original reason for helping others was due to her own selfishness, but she had seen the error of her ways and was trying to atone. Why couldn't others see it? Why must they always fight, always solve problems with violence? She felt alone, alone in an alien world, with nothing she could do to stem an incoming tide that will destroy it. And yet she wanted to help. She wanted to try, at least, and go down 'fighting', in a way. She smiled at the irony. A sudden yelp came from outside her cabin on Murasa's ship, then the angry hiss of a feline and the chuckle of a mouse that had just outwitted an opponent floated through the air to her ears, bringing her back to the present. Suddenly, she laughed out loud. She wasn't alone.

"Shishou, where are you?
The Mistress awaits you still.
I miss you, father."

Konpaku Youmu blinked back sudden wetness around her eyes. She was a trained swordswoman, and her mind was of steel. She glanced up at the board that adorned the wall of her room, remembering the man who had wrote it. Not for the first time she cursed the strict pattern of a haiku; it defied the ability to write what she felt, to truly let the emotion flow. It helped, it was better than nothing, but she really missed the man who had taught her the way of the blade, whose place she was now trying to fill. And she felt she was doing so unsuccessfully, regardless of what others might say. Her movements were stiff, her anticipation of her mistress' needs were lacking, her cooking skills were not up to par. She didn't know that she was considered one of the best swordswomen in Gensoukyou, that Yuyuko didn't NEED an attentive servant, and that her cooking was legendary throughout the land. And neither would it have soothed her if she had. Suddenly, she felt something on her shoulder. Since when was it there? She hadn't sensed the presence of anyone in the room, and her senses were keen. She whipped around, the Roukanken already halfway out of its sheath before she stopped its motion, seeing the empty room. A piece of paper fluttered down from her shoulder, and she carefully bent down to retrieve it. It was folded in two, and Youmu, curious, unfolded it to reveal a message written in the same hand as the board. It simply read, I'm so proud of you. The half ghost girl broke down and wept.

"Sigh, sigh. How boring.
If only I could just laze...
But SHE'D have my head."

Burying another yawn behind a hand, the shinigami snapped her head up and gave the land around her a piercing search, looking for a familiar hat and figure. Seeing nothing, she reasoned she was safe and settled down to have a good rest. She wasn't sure what made her write that haiku, but it felt good to get it off her chest. Her eyes closed, she didn't see the gap forming just inches away from her, nor the twinkling eyes of a certain border youkai as she did some more of her famous shenanigans, although this was to honor the loss of a gamble. As the gap closed, taking the eyes with it, Komachi's own eyes snapped open. Why was she lazing around like this?! That simply would NOT do! There were souls to ferry over, and they won't get ferried if she was taking a nap! Off she went, her scythe over her shoulder, not noticing the stifled giggles of a certain yama as she watched from far away.

Can I request one about Kana Anaberal and the Moriya Shrine trio?

This is great read. :3

"I just want a place,
That I can haunt all alone,
Without any dreams."

*Words that appeared in a foggy mirror in a certain Western-style mansion that lacks vampires*

"Deity of the wind,
That sounds like enormous fun!
Would Kanako mind...?"

The wind priestess pondered, tapping her brush in a random rhythm and ignoring the splatters of ink it sent everywhere. She was a human, yes, but she was also the descendant of a goddess, and was already almost divine, more than half goddess. Arrogant though it may be, saying Kochiya Sanae was already a goddess wasn't too far off the truth, only a matter of time. But when she thought about it, was it really going to be fair to her patron goddess? Kanako was the goddess of wind and rain, and there couldn't be two goddess sharing the same job. Even the Aki sisters had different jobs despite both being the goddesses of autumn. Maybe she could be the goddess of the east wind and Kanako be the goddess of the rest? Or maybe she would take the south? The oncoming headache caused her to abandon those thoughts for the moment. It was in the future, besides. Time to go watch some more Gu**am, she supposed.

"Snake eats frog, they say.
So I proved in the Great War.
Heh, or so they think."

Yasaka Kanako couldn't help but let a tiny grin out as she reread her haiku, written to keep in practice with her homeland's style of poetry. Many thought that her association with snakes had been as long as she had been a goddess, but that was just rumours. In fact, her link with them started after she defeated her fellow goddess, Moriya Suwako
in fair battle over territory, and was entirely due to Suwako's own preference for frogs. Cause and effect.
It was typical of mortals; they jumped to conclusions without thinking of alternate possibilities. But that explained why Kanako was so fascinated with them, apart from the faith that she required to continue existing. They were fascinating creatures, completely predictable and unpredictable at the same time. Take her own priestess. Even with divine blood in her, she sometimes did things that Kanako found baffling, although to be fair the divinity had been diluted many times over through the years. But she was dedicated and a good priestess. A bit overzealous, but that was a common thing in priests and priestesses. She wondered what would happen to the job she had if Sanae ever ascended. Even gods didn't know everything, and she felt a bit of a headache coming on. Time to go watch the weather patterns, she supposed.

"Frog eats slug, kero.
Just like snakes eat frogs, kero.
WHERE IS SHE, KERO?!"

Moriya Suwako carefully finished the last graceful stroke of her haiku. Despite her child-like appearance, the haiku was written in an adult hand, beautiful strokes and skilled pensmanship coming together to form the words. Too bad the words themselves detract from the image. Their writer sighed. The full trio weren't here. She was the goddess of earth symbolized by frogs, Kanako was the goddess of air symbolized (recently) by snakes. Where was the goddess of water symbolized by slugs? She knew that in raw power, she could quite possibly defeat Kanako. Her defeat in the Great Suwa War was merely due to the difference in their abilities; vines rusted steel, and no true battle ever took place. She could have fought, but she didn't want to let her domain fall into the ruin a confrontation between gods would most likely result in. So she surrendered peacefully, passing control of her lands into Kanako. She still retained her dominion over the curse gods though, preventing them from spreading chaos. However, the defeat made her look weak, and although she bore it, it didn't mean she had to like it. Where then was the slug god who would defeat Kanako, but be defeated by her? Her ego needed to be stoked! ...Kero.

I apologize if some of them are too wordy or if you would've liked some stories for those I don't have one for. I also apologize if my take on the characters doesn't fit your view. Finally, I'd like to apologize for having a lot of already known stuff (Such as Suwako's defeat or Sanae's divinity) in the stories with little to nothing new. Enjoy the haiku!

Coin Spire

• Eerily Disguised Shanghai Doll
  • Tea time is the best
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 06:03:04 AM »
Quote from: Kirin

"I just want a place,
That I can haunt all alone,
Without any dreams."

*Words that appeared in a foggy mirror in a certain Western-style mansion that lacks vampires*
It's Great!

Though the accompanying story sounded a little sarcastic. :)

Suwako's haiku was cute. ~_~

Themes:Aiki/Shiku

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 06:55:29 AM »
Suwako finishing every line of her haiku with "kero" amused me far too much.

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 03:41:25 PM »
@ Coin Spire: Well, I had to differentiate from the SDM somehow, didn't I? xD It's one of my bad habits: Define everything.

@Aya: I thought it might amuse someone. While it might make her sound childish,  I hope her knowing the old Japanese saying might wisen her up a bit... or not. Or her story...? xD Well, I tried~ Maybe this...

Yield, Mishaguji.
You shall terrorize no more,
In the frog god's name.

Standing victorious, steel blades gleaming under the evening sunset, the frog goddess Moriya Suwako pressed her chakram's razor sharp edge under the chin of the Mishaguji cowering before her. Her eyes were cold and merciless, their normal grey colored crimson by the setting sun. The Mishaguji, now taking the form of a shadowy figure that looked vaguely human except for its complete lack of features, quivered under the divine steel. They had clashed two days ago at dawn, and the match had lasted three days and two nights, ending when Suwako finally decided to stop holding back and unleashed the full force of her power. The earth itself came to her command, wrapping around the curse god and forming an inescapable prison as she wrapped it in water and crushed it under immense pressure. Most of the god's power had been used to prevent itself from being reduced to nothing, and it was now at her complete mercy. Any other god would have killed them; even gods were not immune to death. But Suwako had other plans. She would subjugate them, bend them to her will, and so gain even more power. A small grin came onto her face, which looked really scary with her face bathed in red. It's not often a god plans ahead, and she was one of the few who did. And that was why she was fit to rule.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »
Oh god. Now I remember why I like Suwako so much. :* She's so awesome.

Can I request Aki Minoriko and Aki Shizuha?

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite poetry/ficlet combo on the Citadel.

(also how about a tewi one? <3)

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 05:57:41 AM »
Oh god. Now I remember why I like Suwako so much. :* She's so awesome.

Can I request Aki Minoriko and Aki Shizuha?

"Harvest goes smoothly,
Their thanks, their praise I receive.
And so their faith grows."

Aki Minoriko finished the last stroke on the word, glancing over her haiku with pride. Then she sobered up. She was receiving a lot of praise, but her sister wasn't. After all, why would a goddess who turned leaves from green to red be the recipient of praise over a goddess who ensured a good harvest? In terms of survivability, she had the better power as it enabled her to survive, even thrive on the faith received from the people of Gensoukyou youkai and human alike, while her sister had to make do with scraps. As faith didn't have a corporeal form, she couldn't even share it, as much as she wanted to. After all, Shizuha was her sister. But she couldn't just keep going like this. If it kept up, there was every chance that the faith that Shizuha needed would just dry up. The leaves wouldn't turn, and the trees wouldn't shed, and the winter cold would result in the deaths of vast amounts of plant life. To say nothing of her personal feelings. Then she had an idea. It was so simple, and she could help her sister as well!

"Miko, my sister,
How can I thank you for this?
I love you, sister."

Tears fell from the goddess' eyes annd nearly blotted out the still wet ink on the parchment of dead leaves as she  thought of what her sister had done for her. The harvest goddess had simply reminded the people within the Great Hakurei Border of the many ways the goddess of falling leaves had brightened their lives. She hadn't appeared to meet them in person; goddesses weren't permitted to do so without reason. But she had somehow persuaded the oni, Suika, most likely through the form of alcoholic bribes, to increase the density of parties during autumn ever so slightly. In the fall, the parties primarily involved the brown leaves discarded by the trees, playing in them, burning them, throwing them at each other, rolling in them, all to the sound of laughter as even the dignified elders joined in. The harvest was splendid, and there was a unique touch to the crops; a slight tinge of color in the leaves of corn, a slight shade of color in the apples that wove together to form a complex tapestry that spoke of autumn with joy and of the coming winter when families cuddled up together before the fire and spoke of stories. Contarary to the rumours, there was no hostility between any of the season spirits. In fact, they were on exceedingly good terms with Letty, who had been part of the plan that Minoriko had cooked up. There was a very slight snap chill in the mornings and evenings even though winter was far off, and for the first time in many years Aki Shizuha felt the enormous incoming faith of the citizens of Gensoukyou as a tidal wave pouring in through the festives as she went about duties that she would normally have done with a kind of resigned detachment. She had never begrudged Minoriko for having the lion's share of faith. It was simply her lot in life. That her sister had done what she had... That was the sign of the great bond between them, the bond of autumn.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite poetry/ficlet combo on the Citadel.

(also how about a tewi one? <3)

WARNING. MAJOR OOC TEWI AHEAD. (Or so I think anyways)

"Hiding in bamboo,
The White Hare of Inaba,
Hides surprise, usa!"

Inaba Tewi grinned, a surprisingly cat-like smile on the rabbit youkai. There was nothing like a surprise for the wary. Especially if they were told there was a surprise in hiding. Surprising surprises to surprise. Pranking pranks on the pranked. Oh, she could go on all day! The moon rabbit Reisen was still inside Eientei, refusing to come out after being the victim of a prank that had involve pits and panties. And a conveniently placed camera. She had secured 50% of the profits the crow tengu gained through promises of future shots, and had also managed to prank Aya's long suffering and slightly unwilling subordinate with incredibly high pitched whistles that only the wolf tengu could hear. All in all, it was a good day. Suddenly, she heard sobbing in the distance. Her curiosity getting the better of her, she wandered off in the direction of the sobs, thinking to maybe hide herself somewhere and watch until that immortal phoenix girl came along, or maybe the were-hakutaku. When she reached a spot where she could see the source of the sobs, her heart caught in her throat for a full second. In the clearing before her was a tiny wolf tengu, barely a puppy, even smaller than her. And considering her size, that was small indeed. Completely forgetting about her original intentions to spy on it, she stepped into the clearing, reaching out her hand and in a surprisingly gentle soothing voice, tried to calm the pup down. As though desperate for companionship, within seconds, Tewi found herself with an armful of squirming, warm wolf tengu pup, and her face was soon covered in kisses/licks (The pup hadn't figured out which to stick with). Laughing despite herself, she suddenly found herself analyzing the laugh. She hadn't laughed like that in a long time. Oh sure, she'd laughed, but mostly at other's misfortune. This was the first time in a long time she had actually laughed honestly. It was a strange feeling. Smiling down at the pup, whose tail was wagging so hard she found it hard to see, she cooed softly at it. Lets get you down to someone who knows where you came from, she thought. That were-hakutaku would know. Still cradling her burden, she walked off in the direction of the village, walking slowly and carefully so as not to jolt it.

My longest one yet, Tewi's was. Why it's so long, I have no idea. I got kinda carried away, I guess. ^^"
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:30:15 AM by Kirin »