Author Topic: Keine Quest (Part 5): Broken History  (Read 69597 times)

Keine Quest (Part 5): Broken History
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:37:35 PM »
>You are Keine Kamishirasawa, and the world around you is not the one you remember. Something happened in the future which broke the past, and you intend to fix it.

>Two evenings ago, you investigated a strange disturbance in the woods near the village. There you found an unknown human girl, and a mysterious white-winged youkai whose presence seemed to make you drift towards sleep. And then they spoke, and reality broke around you. You awakened to a world where some things are very different, and you've been trying to determine what caused this.

>You have discovered the human village abandoned, and inhabited only by Hina and a strange human woman named Shiouko. The Spring Snow incident went unresolved, and Gensokyo endured an entire year of winter. The ensuing famine killed a great many people, including your close friend Akyuu. The surviving humans now live in a new village at the foot of Youkai Mountain, under Kanako's protection. Kanako is working with the Kappa to industrialize Gensokyo, and some of the fruits of this work can already be found in the human village.

>You have met and befriended Rumia, who has been following you around ever since.

>You have found a chasm where the Hakurei Shrine should be. Apparently Reimu disappeared with it, sometime after the Scarlet Mist Incident.

>You have fought off Mystia, who evidently held a grude against you for reasons you cannot remember.

>You discovered a house that belonged to your counterpart in this timeline, who seems to have lived a life that you do not remember. She seems to have vanished since the time when you awoke.

>You have witnessed a large explosion of magical energy that appears to have transported a large patch of forest at a point between Yokai Mountain and the Scarlet Devil Mansion. When you investigated, you were attacked by a winged shadow creature that emerged from remnants of the energy. You obtained a sample of this energy, and gave it to Patchouli to analyze and she has mapped the location of similar fissures across Gensokyo

>You have explained your situation to Mokou, and she has been travelling with you ever since. She seems to be growing close to you already, and it's comforting to have her along.

>You have ventured into the Hell of Blazing Fires, and discovered that it has turned cold. You learned that Utsuho had been held captive by Kanako, and had told Orin that Utsuho could never be released.

>With the help of Suika, you have tunneled a path into Eientei, breaching the wards that surrounded it, and convinced Kaguya to restore the full moon.

>You've found Yukari's house, seperated from the rest of Gensokyo by a reality splice. Inside it, Yukari has been slumbering in a web of barriers for seven years, after she froze the border between the past and present to prevent a change in the future from rippling further backwards in time

>You have rescued Ran from inside this barrier and reunited her with Chen, after being seperated for seven years.

>Ran has opened a path along the fissures to where she believes the pieces of Gensokyo were transported. You have travelled along this path, discovering that it leads to Kyoto, 11 years in the future. You've found no sign of anything mysterious on the other side, however.

>You arranged for Shikieiki to judge Kanako regarding Utsuho's confinement, and in the ensuing moral argument, Sanae freed her. Although Utsuho seems damaged by her experience, she is now home with her family. Without her presence, however, the reactor that powers the villages will soon run down. You don't know whether this will bring the industrialization of the village to a halt or not.

>You are currently in the dining room of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, having just finished eating dinner.

>Rest up for a bit, then gather up Ran and head for the "admit two" rift.

>With a nod to Sakuya, you and your companions depart the dining room. You give a little time for the lovely dinner to settle, and for Ran to complete the components of the spell she's preparing, and then you get ready to depart for the rift. You leave Chen and Rumia behind again, although Mokou asks to tag along for at least the first leg of the journey.
>Soon, the three of you arrive back at the fissure where you were attacked by the shadow creature yesterday evening. The remnants of energy still flicker actively. Ran takes a look around, then withdraws the portal key.
>"I believe I am ready when you are," she says.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Keine Quest (Part 5): Broken History
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 08:01:50 PM »
>"Hmm, thinking about getting separated, perhaps we should tie ourselves together?"

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 08:03:50 PM »
>"Hmm, thinking about getting separated, perhaps we should tie ourselves together?"

>Ran frowns. "I don't know that it would make any difference. I suppose it can't hurt to try, though. But... do we have anything to do that with?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 08:20:18 PM »
>"It was sort of a last minute idea, so I don't think so. How should we try to meet up?"

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »
>"It was sort of a last minute idea, so I don't think so. How should we try to meet up?"

>Ran pull something that looks rather like a spellcard out of her robes. "I prepared this while I was with Patchouli," she says. "The spell is based on an aspect of a shikigami contract. Essentially, it will tie a link between us that will allow us to sense the other's position, even at a distance. Don't worry, it's temporary, and not nearly as binding. There will be no effects other than the one I described."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »
>Nod.
>"Alright, how does it work? And, what is the range we can expect it to comfortable accommodate?"

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:50:54 PM »
>Nod.
>"Alright, how does it work? And, what is the range we can expect it to comfortable accommodate?"

>Ran pauses thoughtfully. "I suppose I could describe it like this. You know how, when you close your eyes, you remain aware of the position of your limbs? It's a little like that. As for effective range, I'm afraid I don't really know the upper bound. The sensation will become muted as distance increases, but I would expect we could still sense each other from across the city if we concentrated on it. In Gensokyo, the only times I've felt this linkage severed was when the pair of us were not in the same realm, but Gensokyo is small, and this connection will also not be as strong as the ones I share with Lady Yukari and Chen."

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 09:03:37 PM »
> "Okay.  It sounds like it'll help a lot.  Do you cast it now or when we've gone through?"

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 09:14:47 PM »
> "Okay.  It sounds like it'll help a lot.  Do you cast it now or when we've gone through?"

>"The spell must be cast in person," Ran says. "It wouldn't do much good to use it after we're already separated. Are you ready?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 09:32:30 PM »
>Nod.

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 09:51:12 PM »
>Nod.

>"Very well," Ran says. She holds the card up before her and closes her eyes, then starts to incant. The lines and glyphs on the card grow bright blue and then the card itself evaporates into energy. You hear a strange resonance in the air, like a tuning fork. Ran reaches out and takes your hand in hers, and you can feel something flow along her grasp, something reach out and tug on your mind. For a moment, you feel as though you are sharing someone else's body; taller, different. And then it passes. You shake your head and blink, feeling a little disoriented. Ran releases your hand and nods. "It is done," she says.
>You can feel Ran. Not in an intimate sense, but almost as if her body were vague extension of your own. You close your eyes and turn, but her presence is still extremely clear to you. She takes a step deeper into the fissure and you feel her move. It's... a little disconcerting.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 10:02:30 PM »
>"This feels like it is going to lead to a headache. How long will it last?"
>Follow her down.

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »
>"This feels like it is going to lead to a headache. How long will it last?"
>Follow her down.

>"A headache?" Ran frowns. "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm so used to the sensation that I barely notice it anymore. I hope it isn't too unpleasant for you. And perhaps... a day?"
>You follow Ran deeper into the fissure. Frankly, you could follow her just as easily with your eyes closed. She holds the portal key up, looks around a little, and then comes to a stop.
>"I think this is probably the best spot to exit from," she says.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »
>"Alright, is there anything special we need to do?"
>If Mokou hasn't followed us down, wave to her.

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 10:16:01 PM »
>"Alright, is there anything special we need to do?"
>If Mokou hasn't followed us down, wave to her.

>"No," Ran says. "The entry should be the same as always. It's the exit I'm concerned about."
>Mokou did follow you down.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »
>Nod to Ran. "What do you mean, exactly, when you say worried about the exit?"

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 10:41:26 PM »
>Nod to Ran. "What do you mean, exactly, when you say worried about the exit?"

>"Well, as I said before, we can't expect to arrive together. Nor should either of us expect to arrive at the location you traveled to the first time. But none of this should require action on your part until we're actually out on the other side."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 10:59:15 PM »
>"Ah. I thought you mean exiting there to come back here."

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »
>"Ah. I thought you mean exiting there to come back here."

>"Oh, sorry," Ran says. "I don't expect there should be any extra difficulties with that."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 11:26:58 PM »
>Nod.
>Turn to mokou. Giver her a hug. "Hopefully we'll have this all fixed up before morning."
>Peck on the cheek.
>"I'll try to bring you a souvenir. Wait for us at the mansion, alright?"

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 11:42:27 PM »
>Nod.
>Turn to mokou. Giver her a hug. "Hopefully we'll have this all fixed up before morning."
>Peck on the cheek.
>"I'll try to bring you a souvenir. Wait for us at the mansion, alright?"

>You nod to Ran, then turn and give Mokou a hug. She returns it warmly, after a moment.
>"You be safe out there, got it?" she says.
>You give Mokou a peck on the check. She turns her head towards you as you release your embrace. Her eyes look deeply into yours, and you see a flicker of hesitation in them, then it passes.
>Mokou nods. "Yeah, I ain't going anywhere until you get back. Good luck finding whatever it is you're looking for."

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 11:45:57 PM »
> Turn to the rift.
> If Ran is ready, head inside.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
>"And I will reward your patience with wild monkey sex."
There was something here once. Wonder what...

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 12:06:25 AM »
>"And I will reward your patience with wild monkey sex."

>"Awright!" Mokou says. "About bloody time! Whaddaya think I've been hanging around so long for?"

> Turn to the rift.
> If Ran is ready, head inside.

>You turn back to the rift and let Ran know that you're ready to proceed. She nods and activates the portal key, opening another gap, wider than the first, but somewhat angrier looking.
>You and Ran take a step inside together. The moment your body makes contact with the gap, you feel the parts inside being twisted away from the parts that remain outside. Stepping fully through does little to alleviate this sensation. You feel as though all your limbs are being twisted and stretched in impossible ways as if you were made out of rubber. This somehow manages not to be painful, but is still extremely disconcerting. You are flying at impossible speed, then falling, changing direction wildly with no regard for inertia. Flashes of images you cannot process flicker past you; it doesn't seem to matter whether your eyes are closed or open. You're not even sure you have eyes. Distantly, you feel Ran tumbling like yourself, your paths converging and diverging and twisting knots around each other. And then you feel the wind against your face. You're falling! For real this time. You feel so dizzy that you're not even sure which way is up.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 12:11:13 AM »
>Hover, if at all possible. Appearing out of nowhere won't be any less suspicious. Look around. Land soon, if it's safe.

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 12:27:09 AM »
>Hover, if at all possible. Appearing out of nowhere won't be any less suspicious. Look around. Land soon, if it's safe.

>You manage to hover and catch yourself before you have an unpleasant encounter with the ground. Trying to clear your head as best you can, you have a quick look around. You seem to be a couple hundred feet above the ground, over what looks like a similar residential area to the one you saw yesterday. There are many, many houses, and quite a few cars driving on the street, as well as people walking. It's dark out, but you think you'd be easy to spot from here if anyone was looking. There's too much ground to survey for you to be certain if anyone has.

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 12:43:16 AM »
>How do you know what cars are?

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 12:55:56 AM »
>Quickly float down somewhere unoccupied - a back alley or something.
>If safe, 'feel' where Ran is.

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 01:03:58 AM »
>How do you know what cars are?

>Inference, mostly. While knowledge of the outside world in Gensokyo is limited, some people do have a passion for it. The kappa in particular have a fascination for whatever information they could find about outsider technology, and you have heard the word a few times. Cars were supposedly something like small trains that didn't require track to run on. Given their description, you think it's fairly plausible these are them.

>Quickly float down somewhere unoccupied - a back alley or something.
>If safe, 'feel' where Ran is.

>You search for an isolated, unoccupied area near where you are, and spot a small side-street. You quickly land there. You're still not sure that you went unnoticed, but at least you didn't see anyone pointing and yelling.
>The area around seems perfectly safe, and if no one spotted your arrival and descent, you probably shouldn't draw any more attention than you did last time you were here. Now that you're not preoccupied and can see straight again, it takes no effort at all to sense Ran. The sensation is significantly fainter than it was in the fissure, however. She seems to be a considerable distance away, but you have no trouble telling her direction.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 01:33:14 AM »
>Look for one of those booth things have come with phone books.