Author Topic: Maribel Quest More - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 66704 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Maribel Quest More - A Z-Machine Adventure
« on: August 31, 2010, 04:06:09 AM »
>You are Maribel Hearn, and the world is wrong. Or rather, you're in the wrong world!
>Having woken up in a strange room, you've discovered you are in the middle of a world called Gensokyo, and you've finally discovered another world that you've always knew existed.
>You grew up in Japan, living a fairly normal life. Still, you always had a strong instinct that there was more to the world than you could see. You studied psychology in college, and met your best friend there, a woman named Renko. The two of you shared a passion for the supernatural (extranormal, Renko called it, to make it sound more legitimate). In pursuing that passion, the two of you followed your instincts and moved to small island nation called Gensokyo. From there, then memories of the past half year fuzzy. You remember running a modestly successful detective agency and numerous attempts to find supernatural activity. You remember a woman named  Utsuho being a prominent influence on your life in the last few days before you woke up here, but you can't remember a lot about it. You remember, though, that she helped you prove the supernatural exists beyond the shadow of a doubt!
>You have been wandering throughout Gensokyo! You've learned some of the basics of flight, danmaku, time-stopping and barrier magic, and you're on cloud nine! Reimu is very concerned you may easily end up a Youkai; Patchouli and Mystia seem to be all for it. Utsuho and Yuugi are in a doomed rivalry for Parsee's love, you have nudged them toward polyamory, and into a kind of peace. You visited Komachi and got her back to work on Reimu's behalf! You have assisted Murasa at the underground clinic on Byakuren's behalf, which involved cleaning up vomit buckets and dealing with a racist old oni. Byakuren has agreed to consider enhancing your natural magical abilities if you gather the necessary ingredients. You have planted flowers for Yuka! You have discovered where all the maids at Scarlet Devil Mansion have gone! You've been chased by a mob of faeries! You have befriend Tokiko, and helped her get used to society and not eating animals raw. You have engaged in a few fact finding missions on Utsuho's behalf. You have found, bickered with, worried over, and slept with Renko. You have earned the enmity of Alice Margatroid. You are stuck between your loyalties to Renko and your debts to Scarlet Devil Mansion. You have begun trying to fulfill Sanae's dream, and healing the rift between Utsuho and Kanako. You are now technically a homeowner!
>You are presently discussing the benefits and drawbacks of becoming a youkai with Byakuren.

> "Hmm...that's definitely a lot to think about...how precisely does the weight of karma manifest itself?"

>"There are many ways it can manifest," says Byakuren. "Generally, it starts to as foul luck within this life. What is left goes into affect how you are born in the next life. Some things may continue to affect you there and further on, as well."

>"I... do not think I seek being a youkai for it's own sake, although I admit that I'm curious what it would be like to experience that. But there's so much about magic that I want to learn, and understand and be able to do. And if such a change would be inevitable if I were to continue to practice, anyway... Gensokyo feels like a place where having that sort of power can help do actual good."

>"Were you to follow what I did," says Byakuren, "It would be the same as seeking it for its own sake. The choice is yours. You will take on a heavy burden, but it is not beyond you power to cleanse yourself of it. And yes, that is one way to look at it. But understand power itself can make it more difficult to do good. Please do not let my words frighten you from the choices you wish to make."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Maribel Quest More - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 04:06:54 AM »
> First
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 04:08:28 AM »
> Troll Kilga
> Wait for Draco to say something smart.

Drake

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 04:11:05 AM »
> Hump Byakuren

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 04:14:13 AM »
>"I... think it's the permanence of this that frightens me. I can only imagine what it would be like beforehand, and yet afterwards will have to live with that decision for the rest of my life, or beyond, even. May I ask... why you chose the path you did?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 04:21:12 AM »
> First
> Troll Kilga
> Wait for Draco to say something smart.
> Hump Byakuren

>Don't make me pull this text adventure over.

>"I... think it's the permanence of this that frightens me. I can only imagine what it would be like beforehand, and yet afterwards will have to live with that decision for the rest of my life, or beyond, even. May I ask... why you chose the path you did?"

>"Many of the same reasons you claimed to," says Byakuren. "I wanted power, so that I could do more for the world, youkai and human alike. In that time, my role was essentially that of the Hakurei Maiden. Well...perhaps more like Marisa's, as it was more what I did because I wished rather than because it was expected. However, there was also a touch of pride in my actions, for I had grown sick of humanity's rejection of youkai as people, and a very strong current of fear. I sought immortality, for fear that the ideals I served would die with me."
>"As far as permanence goes, I don't think I was that wise at the time. I think, whatever you decide, you will be fine. I will be here for you, and I think others will be, too."

>_

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 04:26:58 AM »
>"Thank you, Byakuren. Your kindness and understanding mean a great deal to me. I... think I may go have a look for some of the components of this second ritual. Even if I choose not to go through with it, the trip may give me time to think."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 04:29:01 AM »
>"Thank you, Byakuren. Your kindness and understanding mean a great deal to me. I... think I may go have a look for some of the components of this second ritual. Even if I choose not to go through with it, the trip may give me time to think."

>She nods. "If you would give me a little time, I can prepare some vessels for you."

>_

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 04:29:37 AM »
>"I would appreciate that. Thank you."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 04:34:38 AM »
>"I would appreciate that. Thank you."

>"Very well." She says. "Is there anything else you'd like to speak about?"

>_

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 04:56:10 AM »
>"Um... I don't think anything else comes to mind right now."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 04:59:32 AM »
>"Um... I don't think anything else comes to mind right now."

>"Alright," says Byakuren. "If you wish to find Ichirin, she should be on the upper deck, in the cabin. There is a ladder to the left."

>_
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 05:04:24 AM by Zombie Purvis »

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 05:13:43 AM »
>"Thank you."
>Wait patiently for Byakuren's return

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 05:15:02 AM »

> But she didn't go anywhere?

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 05:16:03 AM »
...I thought she was going to fetch those vessels for us?

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 05:17:29 AM »
Well, we could at least go and see Ichirin, or something.

> How many people have we told about Renko's fairy army plan, in any capacity?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 05:21:03 AM »
>"Thank you."

>"It will take me a little time," she says, as she stands up and stretches, which is a bit impressive for her. "I'll try to be back shortly."
>She heads to the right, lifting the curtain out of the way.

> How many people have we told about Renko's fairy army plan, in any capacity?

>That's a hard one... You've told Sakuya, You've told Utsuho. Satori knows by default... Did you mention it to anyone here? It's hard to remember, you've had so many conversations today.

>_

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 05:56:07 AM »
>Continue to wait patiently

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 06:13:07 AM »
>Continue to wait patiently

>You wait patiently.
>Minutes pass by. You eyes wander round the little ersatz altar room, becoming intimately familiar. Your thoughts float back over your last conversation with Byakuren, the mess you've gotten into, your time in the guest room with Renko... Despite all this, the time passes painfully slowly.
>Finally, after about ten or so minutes, Byakuren returns with two jars in her hand, which she gives to you. One of them looks fairly similar to your ghost-catching jar, though the talismans on it are different. The other is fairly unremarkable. "The one with the sutras written on it will hold the essence for you," she says. "The other is an ordinary jar, it will hold the water."

>_

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 06:17:15 AM »
>"Thank you."
>Accept the jars

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 06:22:02 AM »
>"Thank you."
>Accept the jars

>You obtain: Jar
>You obtain: Essence of the Netherworld Jar.
>"Is there anything else you'd like to ask?" she says.

>_

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 06:24:48 AM »
>"You said the river itself is safe, right?"
>Are we a good enough diver to be confident about getting down 25 feet to get that water?
>Otherwise: "Do you have any techniques that might make it easier to acquire water at that depth? I'm... not that great of a diver."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 06:32:41 AM »
>"You said the river itself is safe, right?"
>Are we a good enough diver to be confident about getting down 25 feet to get that water?
>Otherwise: "Do you have any techniques that might make it easier to acquire water at that depth? I'm... not that great of a diver."

>"The water is. I should warn you, it is inhabited.
>You can swim pretty well, but you've never tried to dive nearly that deeply.
>"I used a spell to do it, myself," says Byakuren. "I suppose if you got some poles and affixed them to the jar and the lid, that might work. You might be able to convince or pay off the ferrywoman to help you."

>_

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 06:34:06 AM »
>"Inhabited? ...should I infer that it's inhabited by somewhat different things than one would normally expect to find in a river?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 06:37:19 AM »
>"Inhabited? ...should I infer that it's inhabited by somewhat different things than one would normally expect to find in a river?"

>"Ancient sea monsters," she says. "Immense things that no longer live outside." Byakuren frowns, as she settles back onto her mat. "I would have said so earlier, but I didn't think you'd actually try to dive..."

>_

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 06:41:38 AM »
>"Well... it seemed the most obvious way to get water. I'm not exactly at the point where I can magic it up to me, just yet. But I'm sure I can figure something out."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 06:45:34 AM »
>"Well... it seemed the most obvious way to get water. I'm not exactly at the point where I can magic it up to me, just yet. But I'm sure I can figure something out."

>"I trust your ingenuity," Byakuren says.

>_

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 07:03:08 AM »
>"Thank you again."
>Head to Reimu's

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 07:16:12 AM »
>"Thank you again."
>Head to Reimu's

>"You are welcome, Maribel. Make me proud."
>You leave the templ, and take to the air toward the Hakurei Shrine. For once, you are not accosted by faeries along the way, and land in front of the Shrine without problems. Looking through the Torii, you see Reimu on the porch, glancing toward the coming sunset. Plum Blossom seems to be sprawled out on her  lap, making you think of a house cat.

>_

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 07:18:40 AM »
>Walk up to them
>"Hey there. I see she seems to have calmed down a little."
>"I just came to ask you a question, this time. A little ironic, given our last discussion. Do you know how I can get to Hakugyukurou? I want to speak with the ghost princess."