Author Topic: Maribel Quest Followthrough - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 68318 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Maribel Quest Followthrough - A Z-Machine Adventure
« on: August 17, 2010, 02:19:48 AM »
>You are Maribel Hearn, and the world is wrong. Or rather, you're in the wrong world!
>Having woken up in a strange room, you've discovered you are in the middle of a world called Gensokyo, and you've finally discovered another world that you've always knew existed
>You grew up in Japan, living a fairly normal life. Still, you always had a strong instinct that there was more to the world than you could see. You studied psychology in college, and met your best friend there, a woman named Renko. The two of you shared a passion for the supernatural (extranormal, Renko called it, to make it sound more legitimate). In pursuing that passion, the two of you followed your instincts and moved to small island nation called Gensokyo. From there, then memories of the past half year fuzzy. You remember running a modestly successful detective agency and numerous attempts to find supernatural activity. You remember a woman named  Utsuho being a prominent influence on your life in the last few days before you woke up here, but you can't remember a lot about it. You remember, though, that she helped you prove the supernatural exists beyond the shadow of a doubt! Too bad you can only recall vague details about it.
>You have been wandering through Gensokyo! You've learned some of the basics of flight, danmaku, time-stopping and barrier magic, and you're on cloud nine! Reimu is very concerned you may easily end up a Youkai; Patchouli and Mystia seem to be all for it. Utsuho and Yuugi are in a doomed rivalry for Parsee's love, you have tried to nudge them toward Polyamory. You visited Komachi and got her back to work on Reimu's behalf! You have assisted Murasa at the underground clinic on Byakuren's behalf, which involved cleaning up vomit buckets and dealing with a racist old oni. Byakuren has agreed to consider enhancing your natural magical abilities if you gather the necessary ingredients. You have planted flowers for Yuka! You have been charged to find out where all the maids at Scarlet Devil Mansion have gone! You've been chased by a mob of faeries! You have befriend Tokiko, and are helping her get used to society and not eating animals raw. You have engaged in a few fact finding missions on Utsuho's behalf. There is still no sign of Renko.
>You are currently negotiating with a tengu guard to get access to their city.

>"How does one become a follower? That seems like something of a catch-22 situation if no new people can reach the shrine."

>"You may go if you're a new convert," she says.

> Contemplate dropping Utsuho's name in an attempt to get to Kanako.

>You could try this, but given you don't think this is Kanako, you have no idea if she would hear. Or care.

> If you can't negotiate your way out of this, get ready for a fight.
>Rather, politely withdraw, if we can't negotiate.

>You consider bursting your way through, but you get the feeling this tengu would rock your face.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Maribel Quest Followthrough - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:22:37 AM »
> "If I may, can I ask who you are? I'm actually new in...the area, so I'm still learning things. I know you're a tengu, at least, but that's about it."
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:24:51 AM »
> "If I may, can I ask who you are? I'm actually new in...the area, so I'm still learning things. I know you're a tengu, at least, but that's about it."

>"I am Momiji Inubashira," she says, bowing toward you. "This is your first time leaving the village, then?"

>_

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:25:08 AM »
> "Why can't any outsiders enter, anyways? This is kind of a crucial matter for me."
> "Well, can you at least tell me if you've seen my friend Renko? Human with brown hair. Usually wears a white shirt, black hat, and a tie."

> "Actually, I'm kind of new to Gensokyo itself. I come from the outside world."

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 02:29:13 AM »
> Do we recall an Inubashiri from the dream world that wasn't?

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 02:35:37 AM »
> "Why can't any outsiders enter, anyways? This is kind of a crucial matter for me."
> "Well, can you at least tell me if you've seen my friend Renko? Human with brown hair. Usually wears a white shirt, black hat, and a tie."

> "Actually, I'm kind of new to Gensokyo itself. I come from the outside world."

>"It is the order of Lord Tenma," she says.
>"I've not seen any humans here, save the one Hatate meets at the base of the cliff." You think you catch a faint undercurrent of disgust when she mentions Hatate.
>"Really?" she asks, her right eyebrow raising.

> Do we recall an Inubashiri from the dream world that wasn't?

>You think about it, and it does sound familiar. Someone important...someone official...That's it! She was the sheriff.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 02:37:28 AM »
> "Oh, yes, you're Sheriff Inubashiri! I recognize you now."
> "And yes, I am from the outside world. I don't know how I got here, but it was apparently a byproduct of that dream everyone had. I assume you had it too, given you were the town sheriff in it."

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 02:37:41 AM »
>"And I take it that this one Hatate met doesn't match that description?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 02:44:11 AM »
>"And I take it that this one Hatate met doesn't match that description?"

>She shakes her head. "No, not at all. It was an older man, on a...kappa vehicle of some kind."

> "Oh, yes, you're Sheriff Inubashiri! I recognize you now."
> "And yes, I am from the outside world. I don't know how I got here, but it was apparently a byproduct of that dream everyone had. I assume you had it too, given you were the town sheriff in it."

>Her eyes narrow, and she draws closer to you.
>"I've not told anyone about that. How did you know?" She asks, her voice practically a hiss.

>_

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 02:48:26 AM »
>"The dream was a shared one, as I said. You were a fairly prominent person, there, so I remembered when I stopped to think about it. I very much doubt you remember me, though. Usami Investigations ring any bells? Detective agency?"

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 02:49:32 AM »
> You know, maybe we should stop telling vicious combat youkai about their unshared dreams.
> "I know because everyone had that dream. I've done some asking around, and I've learned that...it wasn't actually a dream. It really happened. It's just been undone. There's a woman in the human village, Keine Kamishirasawa, that's told me about it. Apparently Kanako also knows about it - this was part of why I wanted to talk to her."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 02:55:14 AM »
>"The dream was a shared one, as I said. You were a fairly prominent person, there, so I remembered when I stopped to think about it. I very much doubt you remember me, though. Usami Investigations ring any bells? Detective agency?"

>She frowns. "No, I don't remember any specific details. And, I see... I hadn't heard of anyone who remembered me, or really, anyone else. You're the first in that regard."

> You know, maybe we should stop telling vicious combat youkai about their unshared dreams.
> "I know because everyone had that dream. I've done some asking around, and I've learned that...it wasn't actually a dream. It really happened. It's just been undone. There's a woman in the human village, Keine Kamishirasawa, that's told me about it. Apparently Kanako also knows about it - this was part of why I wanted to talk to her."

>Yeah, this is becoming habitual.
>Momiji's frown turns to a kind of grimace. "So, Lady Kanako does know more than she lets on..."

>_

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 03:03:43 AM »
>"Yeah, some people's memories of events seem to be better than others. "
>"And... were you already suspecting that Kanako was holding something back?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 03:07:16 AM »
>"Yeah, some people's memories of events seem to be better than others. "
>"And... were you already suspecting that Kanako was holding something back?"

>She nods. "So it seems."
>"Many have. When asked about it, her response was that it was a dream, and nothing more to worry about."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 03:11:23 AM »
> "From what I understand, she had something of a...personal stake in that 'dream'. That may be why she's been hush-hush about it."

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 03:12:20 AM »
>"That... may be true, in a pragmatic sense. And it might be best to think of it that way, since I've been assured that it cannot happen again. But I guess she doesn't feel comfortable to elaborate about what actually happened."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 03:16:21 AM »
> "From what I understand, she had something of a...personal stake in that 'dream'. That may be why she's been hush-hush about it."

>"Hmm, I see," says Momiji.

>"That... may be true, in a pragmatic sense. And it might be best to think of it that way, since I've been assured that it cannot happen again. But I guess she doesn't feel comfortable to elaborate about what actually happened."

>"And what were you planning to ask her about, then, if it is best left unremembered?"

>_

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 03:18:08 AM »
> "I wanted to ask her if she could help me find Renko. They say she can read the wind, or something."

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 03:18:36 AM »
> "Well, that dream carried me over, so I guess I want to know my options regarding whether it's possible to go back to the outside world, if I so choose. Granted, I'm not leaning in that direction but it's still important to have the option. Because I also don't want to selfishly decide to stay here when my friend might want to go back. Speaking of my friend, I'm also hoping Kanako can help me locate her so we can decide what to do from here. I also believe that another friend of mine wanted me to convey a message to Suwako and Kanako"

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 03:23:37 AM »
> "This second friend was apparently another major player in this dream, and Kanako was very aware of this. I imagine Kanako will be curious to hear what she has to say, regardless of other personal feelings."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 03:29:08 AM »
> "I wanted to ask her if she could help me find Renko. They say she can read the wind, or something."

>She nods.

> "Well, that dream carried me over, so I guess I want to know my options regarding whether it's possible to go back to the outside world, if I so choose. Granted, I'm not leaning in that direction but it's still important to have the option. Because I also don't want to selfishly decide to stay here when my friend might want to go back. Speaking of my friend, I'm also hoping Kanako can help me locate her so we can decide what to do from here. I also believe that another friend of mine wanted me to convey a message to Suwako and Kanako"

>You elaborate a bit. "I am afraid I don't quite understand all of that, but I think I get the gist of it."

> "This second friend was apparently another major player in this dream, and Kanako was very aware of this. I imagine Kanako will be curious to hear what she has to say, regardless of other personal feelings."

>She nods. "All in all, it seems you have business with Lady Kanako. I think it will be alright to let you through to see her."

>_

Drake

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 03:31:21 AM »
>While Momi's guard is slightly down, punch her in the face and run away

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 03:33:52 AM »
>"Thank you very much. I don't suppose you could point me to where it is?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 03:43:08 AM »
>While Momi's guard is slightly down, punch her in the face and run away

>She shanked you over a dozen posts ago, homigo/s]

>"Thank you very much. I don't suppose you could point me to where it is?"

>"It?" She gives you a look. "You mean Lady Kanako? She tends to be the Moriya Shrine, which is on the peak. But, lately she has taken to wandering town and speaking with people."

>_

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 03:49:06 AM »
>"By 'it' I meant the shrine. But you think I might find her around town instead? What does she look like?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 03:56:05 AM »
>"By 'it' I meant the shrine. But you think I might find her around town instead? What does she look like?"

>"She is very distinctive," says Momiji, "She is tall, her hair is blue and rather large. She wearings a shimenawa around her back. She favors darker red clothing."

>_

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 03:59:09 AM »
>"Well, thank you for the help, Momiji, and for letting me pass."
>Fly off towards the peak, where the shrine is supposed to be
>Keep an eye out for people matching Kanako's description along the way, in case we see her elsewhere

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 04:07:22 AM »
>"Well, thank you for the help, Momiji, and for letting me pass."
>Fly off towards the peak, where the shrine is supposed to be
>Keep an eye out for people matching Kanako's description along the way, in case we see her elsewhere

>Momiji flies along with you.
>"Wait," she says, "Please do not fly without need in the town. It is disrespectful. You won't get in trouble for it, but it will reflect poorly upon you."
>You are pretty sure you can see the shrine from here. It is a fairly large building on its own, at the summit of the mountain.

>_

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 04:11:39 AM »
>Is there not a need to fly to reach the summit, then? There a path of some sort that's more navigable than the last one we were on? If so, may as well land and take it.
>"My apologies. I don't really know the rules of etiquette for that. I, uh... couldn't actually fly at all until this morning."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 04:24:50 AM »
>Is there not a need to fly to reach the summit, then? There a path of some sort that's more navigable than the last one we were on? If so, may as well land and take it.
>"My apologies. I don't really know the rules of etiquette for that. I, uh... couldn't actually fly at all until this morning."

>You don't have to, but it's certainly easier. It's not that path is unnavigable, just it's steep and unpleasant-looking.
>"You don't need to land just yet," says Momiji, "But when you get to the outskirts of town, you should. You see, flying makes it hard to see what someone is doing, or to talk with them, and it's also used for danmaku. So, when a stranger is flying around one's home, it's really quite rude, you see."

>_