Author Topic: Resasantares: How I Learned the Importance of Magical Ordnance Disposal  (Read 3662 times)

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
Chapter 1

She could have sworn she last heard it here.

It was difficult to see as it was already dark, probably close to midnight by now. Nitori Kawashiro knelt down carefully inspected the surface of rock she was standing on for any irregularity that might reveal the source of the sound. She took out a small pickaxe and began gently tapping around, listening carefully.

It wasn?t just the strange noise. This spot felt like it clashed with the surrounding environment. It was a place devoid of any trees or plants of any kind, and the ground appeared to be made of solid rock.  It didn?t seem right that there was this area of exposed rock here in this clearing when the surrounding area was mostly soil and forest growing over it. Shouldn?t it have eroded long ago? Why was there nothing growing here?

Suddenly the ground shook. There was a low rumble along with that sound again, a deep groaning sound like that of metal rubbing against metal. Birds from the nearby trees took flight and she could hear other forest creatures stirring in response to noise as well. This time it came from directly beneath her. Now she was sure this was the right place.

Nitori thought for few moments. She then stood up and gently raised the pickaxe over her head before swinging it down on the surface with all the force she could muster. The pickaxe was bounced back into the air with just as much force, sending her stumbling backwards as it slipped from her grasp before landing a short distance behind her. There wasn?t even a scratch on the surface.

This definitely wasn?t ordinary rock, at least not as she knew it. Whatever this material it was, it was standing between her and whatever strange things lay below. Nitori wondered whether she should come back with explosives.

?Looks like you picked a fight with the ground and lost.?

Nitori looked over her shoulder and spotted Marisa Kirisame approaching from between the trees, briefly stopping picking up the pickaxe on her way over.

?I guess you heard it as well.? Nitori asked, as Marisa handed her the pickaxe.

?Of course, curiosity can be a wonderful thing sometimes.? Marisa replied. ?So, found anything interesting yet? Treasure? Machines?  Magic??

Marisa stopped in mid-sentence and looked upwards, briefly gesturing to Nitori to stay silent before pointing up at the sky. Nitori glanced up as well and immediately understood why. A winged figure was passing quickly overhead, barely visible in the moonlight. They both stayed silent for few moments more after it disappeared in the distance before resuming conversation.

?Nothing, unless it?s possible to get through whatever this stuff posing as rock is.? Nitori said, tapping her foot on the unknown material they were standing on.

?Let me try.? Marisa said.

Marisa stepped out into the center of the clearing then brought out her mini-hakkero, holding it out at arm?s length and pointing it straight at the ground.

?Are you sure that?s a good idea?? Nitori said, taking a few steps back.

?We?ll find out soon enough.? Marisa replied with a laugh. ?What could possibly go wrong??

Before Nitori could say anything else, for a brief moment ground shook slightly and there was sound of grinding metal again. After a few moments of silence Marisa went ahead with her little plan, and there was a bright light as the Master Spark beam shot out of the mini-hakkero and into the ground. Marisa was floating a few feet off the ground, struggling to keep the Master Spark pointed downwards.

Unfortunately, like a jet of water against a metal object, a few stray beams shot out from the point where the beam met the surface. Nitori dove to the ground barely dodging one which shot just over her, snipping a few hairs off her ponytails and a button off her backpack. Afterwards, the place the Master Spark hit was glowing red hot, but there was no effect otherwise. There wasn?t even a scratch on the surface.

?Damn it Marisa, you nearly took my head off!? Nitori shouted.

?Well sorry, I didn?t know it would reflect that much.? Marisa said apologetically.

All of a sudden the ground shook again and the sound of grinding metal returned, this time stronger than before. The ground underneath them rose up ever so slightly. A large crack opened up through the middle right next to where Marisa was standing. Never mind trying to break through it and get to whatever was underneath, it seemed like whatever was down there wanted to come up towards them instead.

?RUN!? Marisa shouted.

Both of them dashed off into the woods to find cover. As they did, the ground began to shake violently and Nitori thought she could hear explosions. She looked back from behind a tree, and watched as one blast after another sent chunks of rock-like material flying into the air.

_____

Two days later?

?I?ll be leaving for a while. Don?t try to follow me.? Suwako said.

?Wait! Where are you going? What?s going on?? Sanae asked as she turned half-startled.

Suwako paused as if unsure what to say. She glanced down at the stones on the path, briefly avoiding eye contact.

?If all goes well, you?ll never have to know.? Suwako said as if in a hurry.

She looked up saw the look of worry on Sanae?s face.

?Don?t worry, I?ll be back soon.? Suwako said with a smile, in a last second attempt to reassure.

Suwako Moriya took off before Sanae Kochiya could say anything, leaving Sanae standing there at the steps leading up to the Moriya Shrine. She hadn?t even noticed Suwako was there until just then. It was still early in the morning and she had only just woken up and began seeing to the maintenance of the Shrine as usual, going through her simple daily routine.

Come to think of it, Suwako had been acting strangely as of late. Kanako Yasaka told Sanae not to confront Suwako about it. This was probably for the best as Kanako, being a goddess, had known Suwako much longer than Sanae, a mere mortal for most intents and purposes, had even been alive. This didn?t do much to reassure Sanae, because to her the fact that Kanako also knew next to nothing about it was even more unsettling.

It all began just few days ago. There was a small earthquake in the middle of the night. It was barely strong enough to interrupt her sleep.  It didn?t seem so insignificant anymore, as Sanae now struggled to remember anything else about that night that could have changed. That morning as she swept the leaves off the steps leading up to the shrine, Sanae saw Suwako a short distance away. They had a nice view of much of Gensokyo from where they were on mountain. Suwako seemed anxious however, as it was more like she was watching for something to happen rather than admiring the view. It had been that way every morning since that night, with Suwako often just standing there until noon.

Sanae returned to her duties. Kanako would be returning soon.

_____

Reimu Hakurei admired the beautiful sunset as she sat on the steps leading up the the Hakurei Shrine and sipped her tea, watching the color of the sky shift from blue, to yellow, and then finally into a brilliant red as the sun sank in the horizon. The day was coming to a close, and along with it went it?s many, often arduous, chores and responsibilities.

Things had been rather quiet, relaxed, and, if you desired a more pessimistic view, boring as of late. There was no troublesome youkai causing some great catastrophe, no outside force threatening to destroy Gensokyo, and no strange happenings from the afterlife or other such places adversely effecting events here. The ever looming threat of impending disaster seemed to be absent this year, granting a perhaps much needed, and hopefully uneventful, year of peace.

There was the question of where her friend, Marisa Kirisame, was and whether she intended to visit at all that day. Marisa had told Reimu she would be visiting the shrine today. Reimu was beginning to worry whether something had happened to her, or perhaps she had been forced into some last minute obligations elsewhere.

?Reimu!? Marisa called out enthusiastically. ?Sorry I?m late?.

While she was glad to see her friend again, there was a hint of uneasiness in her tone of voice. It was this uneasiness that, though slight, would have betrayed a sense of uncertainty. However, Reimu, while being somewhat aware of this, did not consciously take notice at first knowing Marisa?s often eccentric behavior.

?Hello Marisa.? Reimu replied. ?I was starting to wonder whether you fell into a bottomless pit or something.?

?What? Oh of course not, I?m more careful than that you know.? She replied as she walked closer.

Marisa seemed to stumble a bit much as one would after consuming far too much alcohol. She turned her broom upside down and leaned on it as if it were walking stick to make her way towards Reimu. Reimu was now becoming very concerned about her friend?s well being and the possibility that she was injured or sick.

?Are you sure you?re ok?? Reimu asked, setting her teacup down as her just-then insignificant and almost subconscious anxieties quickly turned into worry, and perhaps even fear.

?Oh don?t worry, I?m just fine.? Marisa replied trying, obviously in vain, to keep up the appearance of being fine. ?I just hurt my leg a bit yester-.?

Marisa put her hand over her mouth and started to cough. By now it was clear something was terribly wrong. Reimu could see that she was coughing up blood, as she briefly glimpsed a drop fall from Marisa?s chin. It was at that moment that Marisa, unable to maintain her balance anyway, let go of her broom, and collapsed down on all fours in the middle of the path. Any illusions of normality she had attempted to maintain was now gone.

?Marisa! What?s wrong?? Reimu shouted as she ran over to her side.

?Sorry Reimu.? Marisa said with difficulty. ?I think I might have really messed up this time.?

?What happened? Are you ok? ? Reimu asked, attempting to help her back on her feet, though it quickly became clear that this was futile.

?Something?   ?that smoke?    ?I think maybe?   ?toxic?? Marisa said as she lost consciousness and leaned limp against Reimu?s shoulder.

Reimu was beginning to panic, though she was trying her best to stay calm and think things through. What was wrong with her? Toxic? Was she poisoned or diseased somehow?

Being a magician Marisa had experimented with a number of unusual substances, but Reimu doubted that she would be so reckless try to come despite being sick, so perhaps whatever it was didn?t take effect until she was already here. Either that or perhaps the cause of this condition was also affecting her mental well being and impairing her judgment. Such speculations would have to wait, for now the best she could do was seek help as soon as possible.

Just then Reimu spotted her robotic maid, Ruukoto, who must have heard the noise, approaching out of the corner of her eye.

?I need you to look after the shrine for a while.? Reimu commanded as she carefully lifted Marisa.

?Yes ma?am.? Ruukoto replied, picking up the teacup that Reimu left sitting on the steps.

Reimu took off, carrying the unconscious Marisa towards the Bamboo Forest of the Lost, and towards Eientei.

_____

Rinnosuke Morichika waited patiently while a group of children walked quickly out the front door. Attendance at Keine?s school had noticeably improved over the course of the past month. Perhaps people?s lack of interest in history was beginning to change, though such a notion almost seemed overly optimistic. On the other hand, Keine had mentioned a while back about perhaps teaching more than just history, though he wasn?t sure whether anything had come out of that idea since it had been quite at least a month since his last visit.

As the last of the students left, Rinnosuke walked in the front door. It was clear this room was no longer the only classroom, or the only room for that matter. The rows of desks were gone and replaced by a couple tables with chairs arranged around them and a large desk was placed between two doors at the opposite end of the room. From what he could see as he came in, the left door led into a room which was still under construction during his last visit, but was now complete and appeared to be the new classroom. The door on the right led into a room which seemed to be as of yet unfinished.

?Hold on, I?ll be there in a second.? A voice said.

He looked to his right and saw a young boy, probably a little under ten years old, placing couple books on the shelf. The boy was standing on a chair because he was too short, a tad shorter than others his age Rinnosuke thought, to comfortably reach the top shelf and see the spines of the books while doing so.

After placing the last book he seemed to count the books on the shelf, and then he swapped the positions of two of them, appearing to have made and corrected a small mistake in sorting them. He looked over at Rinnosuke standing in the doorway after completing this task.

?Can I help you with something sir?? the child said as he hopped down from the chair and approached.

?Yes, I need to speak with Keine Kamishirasawa. Is she here right now?? Rinnosuke asked.

At that moment Keine emerged from the back room.

?Hello there Rinnosuke, it has been a while. Take a seat. Can I help you with something?? Keine said as she placed the book she was carrying on the desk at the end of the room and walked over take a seat at the nearest table.

?It just so happens that you can.? Rinnosuke said, taking a seat across from Keine.

The boy who had greeted Rinnosuke returned to his task, collecting another stack of books from the classroom in the back and sorting them on the shelves in the same careful manner that he had been previously.

Rinnosuke pulled a book out of the small bag he brought with him and placed it gently on the table.

?Marisa dropped this off yesterday.? Rinnosuke said. ?She didn?t tell me where it came from. All she said was take it to someone who might be able to decipher it.?

Keine picked up the book, inspected it for a moment. The pages were rather peculiar. They were one sided, and weren?t made of ordinary paper or parchment, but of a material that was as thick as the latter yet more flexible. The text was printed in ink as expected, but it was also ?engraved? into the material of the pages ever so slightly so that the text would be visible even if the ink somehow wore off. Keine had seen many books in her life but never one made in this manner. Whoever, or whatever, made this book put a lot of effort to ensure its durability. As fortunate as this was and as valuable to the recording of history such a document would be, Keine still had to wonder who would have gone to such great lengths to preserve the information in this book and for what purpose.

Perhaps most intriguing was the contents. The book was not written in the Japanese she was accustomed to, though a few characters were recognizable. The writing system used must have been very old, as even with her experience with ancient scripts she could only make out bits and pieces of it. This presented a peculiar anachronism, as surely this form of writing ceased to be used long before books in this form even came about.

?Can you read any of it?? Rinnosuke asked.

?Not enough for any of it make sense.? Keine replied ?I will have to show this to Akyu.?

Just then the boy who had been sorting the books approached.

?That should be the last shelf.?

?I see? Keine said. ?I?m going to have to be elsewhere for a while. Will you be ok going home by yourself??

?I?ll be fine? the boy replied with a smile.

...to be continued.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 05:59:08 PM by Professor Paul1290 »
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

Hmm. Well, you've definitely set the stage for an attention-grabbing story.

The one thing that's got me the most curious is the definition of "Resasantares" ...

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
Hmm. Well, you've definitely set the stage for an attention-grabbing story.

The one thing that's got me the most curious is the definition of "Resasantares" ...

Thanks.

As for "Resasantares", for the most part it's just an interesting sounding name for the story. I took a couple existing names/words that were related to the story, stuck them together, then "corrupted" them by altering the pronunciation and changing the spelling to match.

I suppose you could say it has a meaning in the sense that the words I used to make it are related to the story and it might be possible to work backwards through my word butchery and find its "definition", but it's not necessary for the story itself.
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
Chapter 2

If you are going to store a skeleton in the closet, it helps to make sure it stays dead. If you don?t, people might think you?re a necromancer or something.

?What do you mean you don?t know what is wrong with her?? Reimu said impatiently.

Eirin Yagokoro glanced over at the unconscious Marisa on the bed.

?I?m very sorry, but I really don?t know what this is.? She replied. ?Some of the symptoms are treatable, but unless we figure out the cause soon I think she only has a few days left at most.?

Eirin looked back at Reimu. There was no point in sugarcoating it. Perhaps for the first time Eirin had no idea what she was dealing with. Even after all the tests there was no sign of the pathogen. The symptoms seemed to occur with no apparent cause. Perhaps it wasn?t anything so physical. Was it a spell, or maybe a curse? It?s not uncommon to mistake such things for a disease. However, even if it was, Eirin believed she would have recognized it as such by now.

?Do you know anything about what she might have been doing or where she might have been before she fell ill?? Eirin asked.

Reisen Udongein Inaba appeared in the doorway holding a bottle and syringe and walked over to Marisa.

?I told you before, she mentioned something about smoke, but beyond that she wasn?t able to explain much else.? Reimu replied.

Just then Marisa awakened abruptly and let out a cry of pain. Reimu ran over to Marisa?s bedside and tried to calm her friend down.

?Where am I? What?s going on?? Marisa said, barely able to breathe.

?I?m right here.? Reimu replied. ?We?re in Eientei right now. Eirin is going to try to help you?

Marisa?s skin began to lose color and the whites of her eyes slowly began to turn gray.

?You have to find...   Nitori?? Marisa said. ?A hole at? near base of the mountain? It? I??

Marisa passed out again just then.

?We have to do something fast or we?ll lose her.? Reisen said.

?What happened?? Eirin asked Reisen ?Did you give her what I told you to??

?I did and I?m sure it was the correct dose!? Reisen replied ?It doesn?t appear to be working anymore!?

How was this possible? Why didn?t it work this time? Something must have changed, but what? Speculation would have to wait, Eirin had to think fast.

?Wait, where are you going?? Reimu said as she saw Eirin turn to leave the room.

?I need to find something, just wait here.? Eirin replied on her way out.

Eirin came back with a different bottle in hand. She tossed it to Reisen.

?Eirin, this wasn?t intended for??

?Just give her half the normal dosage!? Eirin said.

Reisen complied with this request. Everyone became silent, with Reisen carefully checking Marisa?s pulse. It seemed like forever before she spoke up.

?Ok, she should be fine for now.? Reisen said with a sigh of relief. ?Unfortunately we?ll have to prepare for the potential side effects.?

Eirin nodded in agreement.

?What side effects?? Reimu asked.

?That medicine was never intended for use in humans.? Eirin replied. ?Reimu, you know Marisa very well, I think it would be best if you search her home and try to find anything that might help us figure out what is causing her illness. Try to ask anyone who might know where she has been for the past few days as well. I think she mentioned Nitori.?

?Ok, I trust you?ll do your best to look after her while I?m gone.? Reimu said.

?We will.? Reisen said.

It was painful to leave, but Reimu had to accept that she couldn?t do much to help there. Her first stop would be Marisa?s home in the Forest of Magic, and then she would try to find the kappa. As she flew through the bamboo forest she began to wonder how things would be different if Marisa didn?t survive. Reimu didn?t want to think about this possibility, not yet, though such thoughts were difficult to keep away.

_____

Hieda no Akyu agreed with Keine that the language in the book did contain some elements of old Japanese and Chinese writing, but not enough for a clear translation. There were large portions of the text that used unfamiliar symbols. What was recognizable didn?t seem to form any sort of pattern or make any sense.

Akyu said. ?There?s a possibility that this might be a writing system that somehow became isolated and developed along a different route, or perhaps it is a deliberate attempt at encryption so that only a select few could read it. Even worse, it could be all of the above.?

Akyu took a sip of her tea and sat back in her seat as she continued to leaf through the book for a while looking for any recognizable pattern or change in the text. The book felt unusually heavy in her hand, possibly due to the unique way in which it was made. Though it was subtle and almost unnoticeable, there was a change in hand writing between some sections of the book as well as slight changes in the color of the ink, suggesting that more than one person had written in it at different times.

?Did Marisa say where she found this?? Akyu asked.

?No.? Rinnosuke replied. ?I guess she doesn?t want us to know yet.?

Akyu sighed and shook her head in frustration. This was not that surprising. Marisa probably didn?t mean any harm by it, but it was still rather inconsiderate not to mention sloppy.

?Tell her she?s going to have to tell us where this came from if she wants any chance of a good translation.? Akyu said. ?You have to be careful with this sort of thing if you don?t want to draw all the wrong conclusions.?

Akyu pointed out that in the undecipherable portions of the text some of the symbols repeat themselves in a way that is consistent with a phonetic language that uses some kind of alphabet. Unfortunately they did not appear to match any of the alphabets she could recognize.

?In any case it would help if we could somehow find what writing system these other symbols are coming from.? Keine said. ?Rinnosuke, do you recognize any of these? Have you seen them on anything else in your shop??

?I don?t believe I have.? Rinnosuke replied.

?If you could find another example of these characters being used then it would make it much easier to attempt a translation.? Akyu said. ?If I remember correctly, the library in the Scarlet Devil Mansion has many books in several different languages. You could ask Patchouli to help you with finding a match.?

?I know you?re there.? Keine said, raising her voice.

Rinnosuke looked around and was rather confused as to who Keine was speaking to until Akyu tapped him on the shoulder and pointed at the window. He briefly saw a slightly familiar face before it disappeared from view, and then there was the sound of footsteps outside coming around to the door.

The door opened, and Rinnosuke recognized the boy who greeted him at Keine?s school.

?Hello Hiraku.? Akyu said with a smile.

?Hello Miss Akyu.? He replied before pleading with Keine. ?I?m really really sorry for eavesdropping, but can I come along? Please??

?Have you finished your chores and studies for the day?? Keine asked.

The boy nodded.

Keine took a moment to think it over. He was probably curious about the book as well, and perhaps this was a good thing. It wouldn?t do to stifle or discourage such curiosity.

?Ok, you can come along as well.? Keine replied. ?Why don?t you go with Rinnosuke and fetch Marisa. Akyu and I have a few things to discuss.?

______

It was day two and progress was still slow. There is no hope of disassembling all of this, at least not within any reasonable time frame. It would have helped anyway. Whoever or whatever built this was considerate enough to leave it remarkably transparent. You could see just about every important part without disassembling anything to the point where it wouldn?t function. All that had to be done was detach a panel here and there and it was all laid out in front of you. The principles at work by themselves were so basic, but the way in which they were applied was anything but.

In the outside world there were devices that served the same purpose as this machine. Nitori had tinkered with them before. They were calculators or computers. Even in Gensokyo, some forms of magic were used together to accomplish the same result, and if you couldn?t do that you could always perform the calculations yourself.

However, there were no electronics or magic here, this was all mechanical. This was logic being carried out in mechanical form, on a scale that she never thought anyone would ever bother to attempt. How many years of planning and how many prototypes must have been made in the process of designing this machine?

This was just the beginning, for even this device was merely a component of a much larger one with an as of yet unknown purpose.

Why would anyone in their right mind do this? Why go through such an unnecessary amount of trouble? Surely there were much more convenient ways to achieve the same result. There had to be more behind the rational for building this machine than simply solving a problem.

Nitori guessed that whoever built this wanted to show off their skills. Why else attempt such an otherwise impractical project.

?Of course, so each pin in this disk represents a 1, it is either there or not there.? Nitori mumbled to herself as she wrote in her notebook.

Where the heck was Marisa right now? She left with that strange mushroom and book yesterday and hadn?t returned yet.

Suddenly, there was a brief flash of light coming from behind her. Nitori didn?t even have to turn and look to know who just came in. By now there was no point in delaying the inevitable.

?Why hello there!? Aya Shameimaru said in an irritatingly upbeat way. ?So what do we have here??

?Aya, I don?t have the patience to deal with you right now!? Nitori said rather frustrated.

?Now that?s not very nice.? Aya said while hovering over Nitori. ?Besides, anyone would be curious as to what a kappa engineer would be doing in this newly opened hole in the ground.?

Before Aya could take another picture, Nitori quickly blocked the camera lens with the hand.

?If you are going to stay and take pictures then at least make yourself useful.? Nitori said with a slightly irritated tone of voice. ?If you can give me detailed photos of every machine in this cave then I?ll share what I figure out with you for your little article.?

?That sounds like a fair enough deal to me.? Aya replied. ?Later.?

Aya snapped a couple more photos before continuing on ahead deeper into the cavern, eager to have something to write about during an otherwise uneventful year.

_____

When he regained consciousness he could see nothing, but could feel the blindfold over his eyes and the rope binding his hands behind his back. It was clear to him now that his former friends were more fanatical than they would have had him believe. In retrospect he had suspected this in the back of his mind for several years now, though he would have never imagined that they were capable of something like this.

?It is time to wake up.? He heard a voice said. It was the voice of a man he once trusted.

The chair was suddenly pulled out from under him. He tried to stand only to realize that, not surprisingly, his feet were tied together as well and he fell hard against the floor.

?I?ll be honest. I really do have a lot of respect for you.? His captor said, almost mockingly. ?I wish that it wouldn?t have to come to this. I really did like having you as our leader, but you know what is at stake now.?

He couldn?t give in now. He knew all too well what might happen if he allowed them to get their hands on it. Even given the current situation, he still valued their lives, and the lives of everyone in the village.

?I stand by my decision!? He said. ?This is bigger than us, or our cause. I did what was best for all those involved.?

?This is a chance we cannot afford to pass up!? His captor said. ?All these years we have been powerless to do much of anything. Now the means to accomplish our goals are within our reach, and yet you choose to become an obstacle.?

He felt a swift and forceful kick to his side.

?I think you know simple torture won?t work on me that easily.? He said defiantly. ?I don?t have much to lose. What could you possibly do to someone like me??

He heard the sound of the legs of the chair scraping across the floor as the interrogator dragged it next to him and sat down.

?Oh don?t worry. I have a few tricks up my sleeve yet.? His captor said. ?In fact let us try a little blackmail. I know for a fact you?re wife died in childbirth, and that you??

Before the interrogator could finish he heard an explosion, the sound of shattering wood, and a gust of wind from what he believe to be the direction of the door.

?Step away from him immediately!? A female voice shouted.

?What are you doing? You can?t come in here this is??

?You will get out of here you want to stay alive!? said another girl?s voice.

His captor, obviously not capable of putting up a fight, quickly made a break for it.

?Shou, help me untie him.? The first girl said.

When his blindfold was removed, he recognized his rescuer as Byakuren Hijiri from the Temple of Myouren just outside the village.

?So I presume you are the so called ?Mr. A?, the infamous former leader of the Secret History Association.? said Byakuren.

Oh dear.

This is certainly getting interesting!