Author Topic: Weekly Writing Challenge Thread the First  (Read 478708 times)

Re: Weekly Writing Challenge! - Touhou Noir
« Reply #600 on: March 15, 2011, 11:03:41 AM »
Oh, hey, by the way, Sect-

...Collateral?
Collateral?  ???

EDIT: OH! Right, the Jamie Foxx/Tom Cruise movie. No, I actually wasn't originally thinking of that when writing this, though the movie did pop into my head while writing it. Cabbie Kogasa is something that I was wanting to do since the beginning of the challenge, but the idea I had was originally about Nue, and was completely different in terms of plot, and was more "The Spirit" inspired.

Also, it involved Koishi as a seductive and crazy rival assassin/spy.

EDIT EDIT: Though, now that I'm thinking of it, I WAS actually specifically thinking of "Collateral" when I first thought of the scene where the goon crashes on top of the umbrella cab.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:15:44 AM by General Shinsecti »

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #601 on: March 15, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »
Also, it involved Koishi as a seductive and crazy rival assassin/spy.

This is indicative of further plot ideas. You know what that means, right? :3

« Reply #602 on: March 15, 2011, 09:19:39 PM »
This is indicative of further plot ideas. You know what that means, right? :3
You know those two plots I told you I scrapped in favor of this one? It wasn't because I didn't want to do them: it was because they were too long, too long to write in two weeks.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #603 on: March 15, 2011, 10:13:49 PM »
The Weekly Writing Challenge isn't Vegas, you know. Things that happen in WWC can come out of WWC, they don't have to stay in WWC.

Unless they're behind on rent.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #604 on: March 15, 2011, 10:15:53 PM »
The Weekly Writing Challenge isn't Vegas, you know. Things that happen in WWC can come out of WWC, they don't have to stay in WWC.

Unless they're behind on rent.

What happens in Touhou, stays in Touhou.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #605 on: March 15, 2011, 10:16:47 PM »
What happens in Touhou, stays in Touhou.
Incorrect.
What happens in Touhou, Happens in everything else. If it exists, there is a touhou version of it after all.

« Reply #606 on: March 19, 2011, 12:40:13 AM »
Just a heads up, I made some changes to my story. It's pretty much identical, with some errors fixed up, the description of the "Alien" changed a little, and the ending rearranged.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #607 on: March 19, 2011, 11:13:36 AM »
Deadline is tonight, judging is tomorrow!

This'd be a fine time for everyone to make me regret wanting to judge by flooding this prompt with like six more stories.
Hint hint.

« Reply #608 on: March 19, 2011, 11:15:15 AM »
This'd be a fine time for everyone to make me regret wanting to judge by flooding this prompt with like six more stories.
Hint hint.
Nah, already did that for the NWC. 'Twas funny, though.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #609 on: March 19, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »
Nah, already did that for the NWC. 'Twas funny, though.

SAYS YOU ;-;

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #610 on: March 19, 2011, 01:46:15 PM »
d'awww poor esi
Anyways, since the judgings tomorrow, best of luck to you all and make like 20 stories for esi to read over :3

andrewv42

• I heard Malzaherp
  • needs a derp
« Reply #611 on: March 19, 2011, 04:52:42 PM »
Also, choose something flexible for the next topic, thanks!
I eat squirrels.

MaxKnight

• Youkai of the River
  • No, not that River
« Reply #612 on: March 19, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »
Meh, I'd rather have varied and interesting topics like the one we just had, that way I actually have to learn new things.

After all, it's not a challenge if it's easy!

andrewv42

• I heard Malzaherp
  • needs a derp
« Reply #613 on: March 19, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »
After all, it's not a challenge if it's easy!

I'm too lazy to be challenged.
I eat squirrels.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #614 on: March 19, 2011, 06:19:06 PM »
I'm with max on this. And even then, it wasnt much of a challenge if someone like myself who's never written before, could write all that up in a good hour or two.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #615 on: March 19, 2011, 10:01:02 PM »
Next topic will be:
TOUHOUS WITH MUSTACHES
You must draw for this one.

No wait, this'll go in the PAC thread over in AAA :3

Deadline is approaaaaaachiiiiiiiiiiiing~

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #616 on: March 19, 2011, 10:04:11 PM »
raymoo: IHAS MUSTACHIO
MAWRESA: I HAS MUSTACHIO 2 OMFG
EVERYONE: WE ALL HAVE MUSTACHES
NITORI: I don't and fuck you all for that

best entry ever?

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #617 on: March 19, 2011, 10:38:05 PM »
SAYS YOU ;-;

every now and then i have a flashback

so many words

all the words everywhere just swallowing me whole and the screamiieiahgoahodihgoaihoggasoiahgaaaa

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #618 on: March 20, 2011, 09:12:57 AM »
Deadline!

Judging will commence shortly.

In order to avoid mass confusion, Sakana will remain presenter for the victor, provided he has the time to compile all the results together.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #619 on: March 20, 2011, 09:22:17 AM »
In order to avoid mass confusion, Sakana will remain presenter for the victor, provided he has the time to compile all the results together.
Gotcha o7

andrewv42

• I heard Malzaherp
  • needs a derp
« Reply #620 on: March 20, 2011, 12:00:30 PM »
Next topic will be:
TOUHOUS WITH MUSTACHES

You must draw for this one

:fail:
I eat squirrels.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #621 on: March 20, 2011, 01:49:18 PM »
I drew words does that count
yeah thats what i thought

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #622 on: March 20, 2011, 06:53:13 PM »
Next topic will be:
TOUHOUS WITH MUSTACHES

No wait, this'll go in the PAC thread over in AAA :3

Deadline is approaaaaaachiiiiiiiiiiiing~

Challenge accepted.

Oooh yeah, the gauntlet has been THROWN!

And good luck everyone who entered.  A lot of great stories.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Re: Weekly Writing Challenge! - Shakespearean Touhou
« Reply #623 on: March 21, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »
~ JUDGEMENT! ~

Alright, after two extensions it's time to finally wrap this one up. But before that, there is something even older that needs wrapping up, and that is: The Christmas WWC. Yep, that one never got judged.... till now!

Feliz Navidad entries

VIVI:
I had to read this one because it was in Spanish, and none of the other judges understand it :P
D'aww, this was absolutely adorable! Your command of the language is admirable, and it probably had the most warm, traditional take on Christmas I've seen in a long time. It's packed with detail, well-paced, and while the ending was predictable (due to you being such a yaoi fangirl :3c), that didn't make the fic worse for it at all. Very good job!

Sanyorihime:
Sanyorihime, you have a slight problem with being all over the place in regards to your characters, a tendency that I first noted in your Valentine's Day entry. However, this one is more coherent than that one. While Sanae and Marisa are still kind of competing for being the main protagonist, Sanae sort of fades into the background for most of the story while Marisa and Alice take the spotlight, and while she is then is brought back in at the end, she's not taking the spotlight back from Marisa, so it's less confusing. I laughed out loud at some portions of this. Nice stuff.

Iced:
Wow, I was kinda surprised at seeing Komachi talk about the Christmas truce of 1914. I didn't expect a reference to that in Touhou fiction. A pleasant surprise!
I really liked all the awareness of Christmas being a Christian holiday and not a Shinto or Buddhist holiday, much less Gensokyo-an. I also ended up liking how you had Tokiko reading stories from our world, giving readers something to relate to. You have a way of including characters that seem kind of interesting to put there, making the reader wonder how you're gonna work with them, and then making them all plot-relevant. Well done.

My choice:

Between Sanyorihime and Iced, Iced wins, de gozaru. But between Iced and VIVI... VIVI's had better detail all around, and while not as packed with references, was still very solid, and in comparison to Iced... it's weird to say it, but the newcomer wins this one, hands-down. Hail VIVI!

Congratulations VIVI~

Now on to the current challenge, the Noir entries.

Noir entries

MaxKnight:
The Aki Sisters were a real surprise; I didn't expect to see them as protagonists for a piece like this. I thought the story was lacking in details, and there wasn't much mystery to be involved in (maybe due to the rush of being the first entry), but it wasn't bad, regardless; a solid entry.

capt. h:
I get a kick out of the idea of Kaguya turning her squabble with Mokou into a noir theme. She would get bored like that; this week, a Untouchables-style game, and the next, Jidai Geki. That gimmick aside, though, the story lacked sustenance; it was pretty barebones, suffered from a strong lack of detail, and had no coherent plot. It might have been better as part of a larger story, but WWC entries are not excerpts, they're supposed to be stories in their own right. Next time, write towards writing a full story, or at least a sizeable portion, and not just a few lines of a fic.

Rou-nyan:
Oh man this is one of the ones I most want to see continued. Rou, you already know that your narration is excellent; it ends without finishing, but it's a sizeable portion, so it's perfectly acceptable. There's enough detail to flesh out the world around us, and not too much for it to weigh down the plot.
In any case, this is very much solid, but I swear I've seen this before. It's got a few unique twists to it, but otherwise, it's kind of going over old territory-- not that including Mokou and Kaguya gives you much room to be original, imo. Was hoping for something a bit more original. Even so, the excellence of the narration is enough for me to want to see this continue.

Sect:
Oh god yes, this is what I was hoping for. Some rabbits in it (everyone kept picking an Eientei setting whyyyyyy) but they're negligible in the plot, at best. I really loved how you kept Nue and Kogasa ambiguous as the main characters; the blue and green UFOs didn't escape my attention, but apart from 'Alien', that was all the hints you dropped in favour of Nue. Kogasa gaining her awful form of heterochromia made me wince.
Holy crap, talk about sensual. I kept catching my breath in my throat every time Nue came up behind Kogasa and touched her or something. Narration was absolutely delicious.
The only bad thing I can say about this is that you didn't include that idea of Koishi as a seductive and crazy rival assassin/spy. ;w; In lieu of that, feel free to describe Nue's legs some more, in ample detail.

Iced:
It was good, I liked it. Nice selection of characters, good narration. I thought the plot was fine, although the detour to Canada lowered the momentum somewhat. I liked how your Aya was fairly tight-lipped, didn't really come out to the readers or to anyone else-- on a narrative level, she was just as wary as she was as a character. However, I think the story would have been better if you'd left it up in the air whether or not Aya died. I know you dislike sad endings, and I certainly didn't mind knowing that she had lived, but the ambiguity would have hit harder.

Kips:
You said that you weren't really familiar with noir; it showed. The alternate endings were a fun gimmick, but I would have liked to see more substance to the plot more than anything else. Still, this was your first fic, wasn't it? I didn't dislike this, because our protagonist's sudden death was a surprise, but not a bad one. I'd like to see how much better you write when you don't have a writing prompt that you're unfamiliar with, so I'd like to see more from you from here on out.

Ryuu:
You are the best. But you really should have tried to find time to write, since you had three weeks and you were so enthusiastic about writing for this :<

My choice:

My pick is Sect, easily. Rou had a good story, but it wasn't very original. Iced had a good fic overall, with a different cast of characters, but the Canada detour took out a lot of momentum. Sect, on the other hand, had a great plot and atmosphere, tight dialogue, a beginning, middle, and end, and it played a lot with keeping things in the dark, which is a very important aspect of noir. So I pick Sect's piece \o\

I agree with this verdict. All entries were fun to read, and the usual suspects favourites delivered solid Noir-writing, but Sect stood out on this one. The cabbie instead of the usual detective as a main character came as a surprise, a good one though. Your style and word-choices delivered the atmosphere very well.
The only thing I absolutely didn't manage to grasp was where the eye-injury came from, since Kogasa was outside the car and nothing really pointed to how she got injured there.
Nontheless, amongst all the nice entries yours took the prize this time: Congratulations Sect, well done~

And a special thanks at this point to Esi, who thought up the Noir-theme together with Ruro, an idea that brought us all those nice entries that were a lot of fun to read~

With that done... time for the next challenge, which will be....

~ Shakespearean Touhou! ~

Let me see. Alas, poor Reimu! I knew her,
Utsuho. A fellow of infinite power, of most excellent tea. She
hath beaten me in danmaku a thousand times. And now how abhorred
in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those
braids that I have scorch'd with bullets I know not how oft. Where be your orbs
now? your spellcards? your donation box? your flashes of armpits that
were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one now, to mock your
own frowning? Quite chap- fall'n? Now get you to my lady's
chamber, and tell her, let her paint an inch thick, to this
favour she must come. Make her laugh at that. Prithee, Utsuho,
tell me one thing.

To write, or not to write - that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of writer's block
Or to take up quills against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them. To post- to win-
No more; and by post to say we end
The feeling of obligation, and the mental torment
That mind is heir to. 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To post- to win.

By now you should have guessed it. This weeks challenge is to take a work of the great William Shakespeare, and turn it into a Touhou-story.
Whether you use a modern writing style, or try to adapt a Shakespearean style, is up to you.
Now then, go ahead and suprise us, for we expect nice results for us to judge.
But most of all, have fun writing :3

Deadline is the 27th of March
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:08:21 PM by Moe Moe Konpakana Youmu »

MaxKnight

• Youkai of the River
  • No, not that River
« Reply #624 on: March 21, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »
I will refute that I was in a rush to be first; that was coincidental in that I just started writing once I had an idea and posted when it was finished.  However, I agree with the judgment and know I have a long way to go before I can hope to truly compete in this arena.

Now the new subject?  I'll admit to having a broad smile and laughing quite heartily when I saw it; this shall be most enjoyable, methinks...  I'll have to brush up on my Shakespeare, though, as I haven't had any real contact with it in eleven years (geez, has it really been that long since I was a high school Sophomore?).

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
« Reply #625 on: March 21, 2011, 01:14:56 PM »
I got a really great idea for this.

It will be fun.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #626 on: March 21, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
Oh yay, the one subject I love but know nothing about. Does making one line saying TO BE OR NOT TO BE count as a fanfic?
In short eff you for whoever made this theme :V Also, Thanks for reviewing my first story. But I think maybe next time I shouldn't write that all up in an hour or two and actually read it over >.>

« Reply #627 on: March 21, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »
hai guiz u 4got 2 rte mai storiee

edt: opps sry i ment to rite 'rate' sry dat wuz a tipo

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #628 on: March 21, 2011, 04:56:46 PM »
Shakespeare? Oh God :V

inb4 Shou with a case of the jitters

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #629 on: March 21, 2011, 05:20:06 PM »
Man, now I really wish I could read Vivi's story.

And good job Sect.  I figured you were heavily in the running with that one.  Keeping the characters secret was a good move.

As for this week?  Imma gonna focus on my three uber projects I think.  Unless something strikes me out of the blue.